Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

I would be very surprised if Johnston does not start on Wednesday against Hibernian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Big Sam interested now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Big Sam and Bruce, have we really fallen that low , ther has to better options than those dinausaurs, could add Warnock to that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭billyhead

Unfortunately I think it's the calibre we will have to go for.

I know its the FAI, but with a bit of vision, should be going for someone up and coming like McKenna, Bruce and Big Sam will actually make us worse I fear, and horrible to watch

McKennas not going to take the job if he has any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭TokTik

Considering that Rodgers just said today that Maeda is just back training on grass, I’d be surprised if he was rushed back for Weds night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Fireman Sam might not be a bad shout. He has a 100% win record with the English national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

When he says that he means he is still not fully integrated with the team training so there is absolutely zero chance Maeda will be playing Wednesday so given his recent showings off the bench I would be very surprised if Johnston did not start Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Well our last manager was Stephen Kenny so what does that say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Absolutely...either of the 2 managers mentioned would be a massive improvement to Kenny in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Tony Mowbray sacked by Sunderland, I don’t know if he’s gettable for Ireland but probably not.

be interesting to see who they appoint and whether he would be gettable for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Would not be Allardyce's biggest fan at all, and generally the game has moved on from his approach.

But, if we are looking for someone who has managed at the top level, is pragmatic and was deemed capable enough of taking on an international job previously then he is a better shout than others mentioned.

Jesus, did I just write that about Big Sam :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭McFly85

For what he offers, Allardyce would likely ask for far too much money.

If he was genuinely interested and would take a contract similar to what he took at Leeds(low salary with significant performance bonuses), then I wouldn’t be hugely opposed(or hugely excited either really).

Last thing I want to see is us spend a few million on a big name, playing ultra defensive football, not qualifying anyway and being told our players are rubbish before ending back up at square one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭The Guru 123

I don’t know if anyone listened to the Guardian football weekly yesterday but one of them made the point that the big push at the moment within football management is for as she put it “young IPad managers”. In other words guys that have all the badges done and know all the theory of tactics and coaching and management. To be honest it made me think of this thread.

Don’t get me wrong I think there’s a place for that and you’d be a fool not to be embracing that more modern approach but maybe it would be best to have a couple of these guys in as coaches/analysts behind a more proven manager.

Especially at international level where there’s far more limited time with the players. The important things are picking the right players, putting a simple tactical plan in place and galvanizing the group.

I see nothing to say that Allardyce or Bruce can’t be the man to do those things. Especially if they’re backed up by a couple other of younger more modern coaches.

Also over the weekend I listened for the first time to one of those one on one interviews Simon Jordan does and coincidentally it was with Allardyce. I thought he talked a lot of sense on some points to be honest. Just that tactically teams should be playing to their strengths and not just slaves to playing out from the back as seems to be the case now.

As he said and it’s something I agree with, teams with less technically proficient players are giving up far more goals by trying to play out from the back to more than outweigh any benefit it’s giving to them. I think we all saw numerous examples of this during Kenny’s reign. Passing for the sake of passing and often taking needless risks to do so.

I think the fact we actually have physically strong and fast players up front makes this tactic all the more nonsensical from an Irish point of view. Is there anything wrong with being a bit more direct, fighting for second balls and then playing our football from there. I think it would be far less risky and possibly create more chances anyway because we don’t have the players to break teams down with a more structured passing style.

To be honest I’d have no issues with us going with an experienced and proven manager like Allardyce or Bruce provided they’re backed up with a couple of decent coaches. Think they could get us playing in a safer more pragmatic way that creates more chances for us at the other end which seems like win win for me.

• Advertisement

Ireland are a very young team. Big Sam never managed a young team when he was successful. He managed old pros, a few ex superstars. He never managed young guys on their way to the top like Evan Ferguson and maybe a few others. It’s not his wheelhouse. Do you really think Evan Ferguson is going to be interested in what big Sam has to offer him when his coach at club level is one of the most innovative coaches in the world.

i think the bookies have pulled the wool over the eyes of a lot of people in Ireland. I think apart from carsley, the other “leading contenders” haven’t a prayer of getting the job.

read between the lines; Bruce and big Sam have confirmed they haven’t been contacted yet. There’s no confirmation that Lennon, keane have been and I will comfortably assume they haven’t. Hughton is in a job and isn’t a good contender.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Was Allardyce ever successful? He did ok at Bolton but looking back at the players they had it maybe wasn't such a big shock that some people seem to think.

Whatever about his reputation which was rather an agenda he pushed himself of "saving clubs from relegation", he one real skill is either lowering a clubs expectations or picking a club whose expectations are so low that achieving the bare minimum is lauded as a huge success. Did he ever really turn a clubs fortunes around when he was in charge?

Not to mention the reason he was sacked from the England job and that is not the only allegation made against him.

Bruce would not be a massive inprovenent on Kenny - a little bit of vision could get someone way better than him or Big Sam - we deserve better.

He was the most successful manager in England at a particular, extremely important job. Being the man brought in to save clubs heading for relegation.

Your depiction of it as “lowering expectations” isn’t really accurate.

I personally would thread carefully of any new manager who wants us to play out from the back. I don’t see the skill set in our defence or midfield for that style of play. I would want to see someone who has achieved success with that style of play with okish players before.

• Advertisement

He only managed England for 1 game so he can't be judged on that job.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm not judging on the on the field job but it's completely fair to judge him on why he was sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

If its down to Bruce, Lennon or Big Sam then I'd lean to Sam but think he'll be too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Big Sam would be a good appointment if we can get him. He is prob out of our league though.

We’ve been on the hunt for a manager effectively for months. He’s been out there of work for months. No approach to him has being made. Read between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Ah now, lets be real. We do have the defenders to play out from the back, look at what Collins and Dara O'Shea are asked to do with their clubs. What we really lack and have done for 30 years, Bar Wes Houlihane, is a brave midfielder who will get on the ball and turn out and try find a forward pass. Andy Moran may be that player but hes a few years away yet. Sammie Szmodics is in flying form but playing alot higher and either didnt like Kenny or isnt committed to Ireland as he kept turning down call ups (family issues were cited). Can anyone else name a midfielder who can drive us on? I genuinely dont think we have another creative player coming through, plenty of work horses alright.

Again people calling for a Big Sam type are ignoring the fact that all of our young players have not been brought up in the defend first, kick the ball away style tactics that the old school managers prefer. They have all been playing out from the back since they were 13, going back to kick and rush will not suit them. Theres a balance to what Kenny tried to do and maybe a manager with more tactical experience may strike the right balance.

You don’t think an excellent deep lying midfielder is a pretty integral part of the strategy of playing out from the back?

Andrew Moran is a final third player. So was Wes. So is smzodics. As of now we haven’t got the tools to be good at playing from the back.

you seem convinced Dara Oshea and Collins are press resistant, ball playing defenders. You may be right but I’m far more certain about the type of ball ogbene (long over the top) and Ferguson (long to feet) can handle than those defenders.

if we locate a modric style player then the conversation changes but the closest for now is smallbone and he’s way off for now.

How is he out of our league if he has openly expressed an interest in the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

There's a chance Big Sam would take the job anyway on a reduced wage compared to what he normally gets off some relegation threatened PL team, just for a shot at redemption at international football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Two quick goals for Ireland women's team vs northern Ireland. The run around the back from Payne was very good.

Would be disappointed not to see Eileen Gleeson take up the role as the manager of the team now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good third goal, probably a bit too easy for Carusa, but she got across the defender well and did the business. Great delivery on the cross.

<edit>

And a fourth, McCabe with a peach of a curler into the top corner with her right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭trashcan

Katie McCabe with an absolute screamer for no 4. Not a big fan of women’s football, but that was some hit.

I love McCabe's first touch there. And the value of being two footed on show with the finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And a fifth, lovely header. Freescoring these days!

Some header!

And Burnley concede as O’Shea tries to play out from the back…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Can we make Eileen Gleeson the men's team manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Big Sam's approach was pretty rudimentary even at the height of his Bolton success tbf.

Game has moved on, not sure what that means. Whatever game we were trying to catch up with under the last regime was beyond us

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe we do need a deep lying midfielder but if we do have a 10 like Moran/Szmodics you can then look to by pass your holding midfielder and play higher, quicker into feet. Again theres a balance but going back to a low block and holding on for 80 mins and just not trying is of no interest to me, i wouldnt be watching. I dont think alot of people forget how bad some of the games at the end of MON's reign was and some of Micks. (Yes i know Kennys results were poor but in my opinion he at least tried to get them to attack). Kenny tried to implement a way to try and win games, didnt succeed but i dont think we can go all the way back to a low block and no ambition when we may have our best ever talent up top. Playing long ball defensive football does not get the best out of Fergusson.

Again all of these players are under 25 and are only starting to hit 20 caps. Roy Keane and many others have said it took them 20 caps to get comfortable with international football so maybe the next manager can get more out of them. We do also need to get away from the old man who managed in England.

Now in a different way Tony Mowbray worked very well with young players at Sunderland and the fact hes only out of a job, he would be a better choice than the other older managers mentioned.

Who said anything about playing a low block?

i think a lot of fans now assume if you’re against playing out from the back you immediately want a low block and long balls aimed at Ferguson’s head.

i don’t want Big Sam football, I don’t even want David Moyes football.

we can keep playing a high line. We can keep trusting Collins and Oshea to play passes, I just don’t want those passes going short into our midfield, I think if we proceed with that tactic we’ll get pressed and dispossessed too many times for it to be good for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭jonnreeks

Wasn't it 4 mil to save Leeds.......allegedly1

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭jonnreeks

Wasn't it 4 mil to save Leeds.......allegedly!

That's the approximate funding the Government are with holding from the FAI until they resolve the minimum of 40% female representation on their board. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

Quote : "i think a lot of fans now assume if you’re against playing out from the back you immediately want a low block and long balls aimed at Ferguson’s head."

Quote: "I just don’t want those passes going short into our midfield"

I am confused,, because you think that it won't be the long ball, but you don't want short passes. Am I missing option 3 here?

I don’t want long balls heaped towards Ferguson’s HEAD.

i want long passes from bazunu or collins etc going to Ferguson’s feet where he can take it in and lay it off or just flick it first time to midfield runners like knight. This will drag the opposition defence out and create space behind. Then you have ogbene high up on the wing to offer options to knight etc.

if Ferguson comes deep and ogbene stays high then you should have an option to go long directly towards the direction of ogbene. This should sow confusion in opposition defenses as ogbene has to be covered on the line of the last defender while Ferguson also has to be covered dropping deep.

a lot of this would depend on Collins and Bazunu’s distribution being quality.

Kenny tried this but it never really worked as Idah just had no consistency in trapping long passes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I keep seeing people saying “the game has moved on”. It hasn’t.

Look how well Dyche is doing at Everton.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

In reality the game has passed most of these lads by, they get roles at the lower end of the Premiership on reputation alone. There is none of these lads in for the upper end jobs. If the game hasnt passed them by, why are not teams looking at them? Leeds got desperate and brought in SAM and he robbed them blind and they got relegated and his whole stick of never getting relegated is gone.

Now whether they can do something at international level is a different story but they game has/is passing them by.

He also was relegated before the Leeds job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The fact people who I've seen bemoan a lack of quality midfielders during Irish games, still somehow want us to focus on playing through said midfielders really learned nothing from the Kenny era.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement