Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,246 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya changed again. Had to check to be sure.

England had a terrible campaign last time round and got relegated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I think we got him because he’s Irish. He was pretty committed to Ireland and even came back after being treated like **** for a while. He was dropped from the squad while still in the first team for Everton, but didn’t ever moan or sulk about it when called back up.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is Carsley definitely getting the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

All the noise is pointing in his direction. FAI have a board meeting this Tuesday would assume that's when they'll make the official decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

Gavin Kilkenny has come on at Bournemouth in the FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Forgot he still existed. The lad badly needs a permanent move.

Mark Travers started an kept a clean sheet. He's played for two clubs this season now so he won't be going back out on loan unless it's back to Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

They have 4 defenders out now, so this is his chance. No way he's allowed move with that injury list either, I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stoke loaned in Iversen from Leicester so Travers is stuck there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Going on the reporting today from Dan McDonnell, an appointment of carsley within 7 days as indicated yesterday seems very optimistic.

doesn’t sound like it’s a fait accompli that he takes the job at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ha what a shitshow...FAI wait 2 months to not get their man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Don't think he's a hope in hell of getting the England job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Basically same structure as last time (some tweaks to promotion/relegation). England got relegated to League B after a terrible campaign (you might recall them conceding 4 at home to Hungary).

Our group will be - one of Austria, Chechia, England, Wales - one of Finland, Ukraine, Iceland, Norway - one of Georgia, Greece, Turkey, Kazakhstan.

Winner of group promoted to A, 2nd place has a play-off for promotion, 3rd gets a relegation play-off, 4th is relegated. Draw on Feb 8th, games Sept/Oct/Nov.

(Let's take it seriously this time, it's not glorified friendlies or a chance to 'see what xxx can do').

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I will wait for a better source for that news. There are no quotes in that article at all.

• Advertisement

I`d agree but Dan McDonnell was not filling me with hope the last day or two. Alot of Carsley`s thinking about it stuff when he`s known the offer was coming for at least 3 months now and should know if he want`s it or not.

Seems unlikely, his main qualification for the Ireland job was that he was at least a black box while all the other contenders were dodgy boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭McFly85

If he wants the England job then I can see why he’d turn it down. I don’t think Southgate will be gone after the Euros unless they have a disaster so he’d be waiting a while, but if he can stay in their international setup it keeps him in mind.

I think it’s a long shot for him but it would be even less likely if he left to take the Ireland job.

I suppose that leaves us with Lennon, Keane or maybe Hughton. Not an inspiring list at all but I suppose it reflects where we are, we’re not a hugely attractive job right now.

I thought Southgate was stepping down after the Euro's.

With the players England have they should be looking way beyond someone of Southgate or Carsley's level. They are genuine favourites for tournaments now (not tabloid hyped favourites like before)

If they do well, and they could win it, I could see Southgate staying on for the WC. But I agree with you, if he leaves they’ll go for someone far more high profile than Carsley - but don’t blame him trying to keep himself in the conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Seeing the Daily Mail reporting Klopp is taking the Ireland job now with Carsley out of the running...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

No question about it.

No sponsor

No ceo living in the country

No money..only debt

No national league players in squad

Klopp couldn’t say no to an opportunity like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Carsley has the same qualifications to be England manager that Southgate did

Evolve his game from "heavy metal" football to "lad playing Wonderwall at an open mic night" football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,445 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No he doesn't.

Southgate managed Middlesboro for a number of years before England.

Carsley has had a mere shiff of club management, a few months caretaker of I'm not mistaken.

Correct, Carsley has never had a full-time senior men's job only brief caretaking roles.

We'd be giving him his first full time senior men's job a few weeks shy of his 50th birthday.

Southgate was crap at Middlesbrough and what he did there made no difference as to why he got the England job, which was purely down to his work in the youth set up. You’d assume Carsley is looking at that and thinking he could be interviewed for the same reason

Senior games managed: 24 vs 151

International caps for England: 0 vs 57

And Southgate only got the job by fluke. He’d never had been considered if Big Sam hadn’t gotten stung.

Southgate got the job after the big Sam debacle and when England had far less expectations on them. Nobody expected anything from him and he got them to a SF of a world cup(even with a fortuitous draw).

Since then the talent available has improved immensely and they’re one of the most talented squads in the world and would be amount the favourites for any competition. The job is 100% too big for a manager like Carsley with the limited experience he has.

No he doesn’t. I see someone else has already addressed that

• Advertisement

If they gave the job to Southgate I see no reason why they wouldn’t consider Carsley, or at the very least why Carsley wouldn’t have the ambition to get the job. Southgate continues to be an abysmal manager but the fact remains he has no pros that Carsley doesn’t have. A poor job at Middleborough doesn’t change a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Not for turning this one lol.

Have the FAI made a mess of this process after deliberating on it for months?

Someone leaked something they shouldn’t have to the press and then the information was false anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There's the argument that Carsley would offer continuity/familiarity as Southgate's possible replacement. i.e. he's already worked with players coming through, he's worked with the FA so he'd know the internal goings on and he's managed at (and won) international tournaments.

I don't think him being a future candidate for the England job is such a wild idea. International jobs aren't as big a draw as they once were (England's appointees in the last decade were Hodgson, Allardyce and Southgate) and there'd also be the media crying out for an English/"British" manager to take over. Who are the current "top-level" English managers? Eddie Howe? Sean Dyche, Gary O'Neil, David Moyes, Roy Hodgson and Chris Wilder are the only British PL managers at the moment.

I don't see why Carsley wouldn't be considered when that's the competition, especially given his own work with the FA. Tbh, if he's hesitant about the Ireland job because he has one eye on the English one then we'd be better off finding someone who is fully committed (and I say that as someone who thinks he's the best option out of the current names being bandied about).

Because the job description has changed immensely. Southgate brought on young players he had worked with at a time that moral was on the floor in England.

The situation has changed beyond recognition. England now need a manager who can go to the next level and win something because it will be a disgrace if this England team don't pick up a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Carsley isn't getting the England job lads. England can pay premium wages and compete for Premier League type hires. Carsely would be under intolerable pressure in terms of his record from the outset, and no FA Governers with a sense of self preservation would sanction it. Pure nonsense.

I could see Carsley floating it as an excuse to turn us down, but let's not be silly enough to give it any credence ffs!

People need to rein themselves in a bit. Getting very carried away. Carsley has never managed a single game in a high pressure environment. The idea he would walk into one of the highest pressure jobs in football is foolish

I don't think it's "silly" or "foolish". I've given my reasons why I think he could be considered; I'm not saying he'd be the number one candidate or he'd definitely get it.

He wouldn't "walk into" the job either - it's not Steve Staunton in 2006. He has something of a CV.

And managing (and winning) in a final is high pressure, whatever the level. I remember watching the end of that U-21 final and t was particularly tense but he (and the players under his direction who didn't concede a goal in the whole tournament) held his nerve. Sure, it's not as important as senior tournaments but overall it was an impressive performance in that tournament.

I also think he's had more than enough experience of dealing with senior pros over his playing career. He was even captain in his later days. He ticks plenty of boxes.

I don’t think the job description has changed at all really. It was always to do as well with the players they had as they can. Young players coming through is nothing to do with Southgate, it’s entirely to do with clubs. The fact Southgate wasn’t sacked after Euro 2021 (properly outrageous that one) and the Qatar World Cup really proves it.

I don’t think Carsley should get the England job, however Southgate also should never have been given it and they’ve had several opportunities to hire objectively better managers. What Eddie Howe did at Bournemouth for example is leagues beyond anything Southgate ever did when he was managing clubs yet he was never contacted after Euro 2021 despite Southgate being totally out of his depth.

If England want to hire an English manager they have very few options next year, as said by others. They can go foreign again, Mourinho would be interesting for one. Carsley would present on option to continue on and he already has a relationship with the FA.

Have heard that before remember “the golden generation”. Anyway that has nothing to do with us and as others have said if Carsley is turning Ireland down it’s got nothing to do with him being lined up to take over from Southgate with England either. Maybe wants a club job.

I don’t care about that. My concern here is have the FAI let it slip that Carsley was their number one choice without first finding out if he was actually interested in the job?

• Advertisement

How many European under 21 finals can you recall the finalists and winner?

it’s a development grade. It’s nice to win but no manager will get real stick for losing one.

it would not prepare carsley for the sharp end of a senior England World Cup game. It would not even prepare him for a crunch Irish qualification game. It’s a totally different level.

The "golden generation" only exited in the tabloids and brains of Premier League fans. The rest of the world never saw them as anything more than what they were which was a decent team that could make QFs.

This team along with France is out ahead of the pack in the Euros. It's crazy (and I believe down to Southgate) that they didn't batter Italy in the 21 final. The "golden generation" never got within a sniff of a trophy.

I don't think Carsley will publicly use the England job or any job as his reason if he turned us down. He will just release some PR speak like they all do.

Looks like he’s turned us down. Seems like Lennon is next in line.

And I admit that but it's still an international tournament and it was won in style. It's not just any old tournament win.

Spain promoted their youth manager after Luis Enrique left. His club experience was minimal but he won tournaments with the youth teams and now he's won the Nations League. If Spain do it, why wouldn't England?

In club football, there's examples of big clubs promoting the reserve manager to great success (Zidane/Madrid and Guardiola/Barca).

There's no guarantee but it's not as unimaginable for people here to be so quick to dismiss it.

And I do remember quite a few U-21s finals. Germany hammered England 4-0 in 2009 with a few 2014 WC winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Carsley could have been told he's in the mix by the FA. They obviously rate him and probably don't want to lose him from the set up. I doubt they just said thanks and all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The only way Carsley gets the England job is the same way Southgate got it - the manager gets sacked unexpectedly and they need an immediate stop gap. There is no chance that in a considered process that he is the name they land upon.

• Advertisement

Southgate is overly conservative and his team don’t take risks against bigger teams. That’s exactly how you don’t play against that Italian team. He’s completely unable to adapt, it’s very well organised but it’s not pretty.

I agree with you about “the golden generation”. They weren’t that good as a team. This England team is much better.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In some good news the u16s beat Greece 6-0 today.

A twist is coming in the managers job.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Surely that’s pulling someone’s hat out of the ring? Not throwing their’s in, unless they want to manage Ireland.

Pedantry aside

they/them/theirs

That’s a bit embarrassing more so for Carsely than the FAI in my view. He’s staying on with an U21 team and turning down a senior managerial position. I know Ireland’s stock is low but an ambitious manager would look at that and think I can definitely improve things for that squad of players.

Perhaps money was an issue but I’d think that the FAI would be able to source some funding from a benefactor to pay for the right candidate. Perhaps we dodged a bullet with Carsley? Move on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement