Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

He knows how to talk and look like a manager. That probably is enough to reassure some players.

That Sunderland documentary convinced me he's just a chancer.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,992 ✭✭✭billyhead

A glorified bullshitter. We will win sfa with him in charge. McCarthy would be a better appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Stewball

The FAI should be on the phone to Mick McCarthy and offering him a contract until 2026.

He is head & shoulders above any of the names doing the rounds and far more experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

They put all their eggs in the Carsley basket and probably didn't spend anytime looking at viable alternatives. Instead just took the bookies betting list and worked off that if Carsley doesn't happen. Duff said when they rang him it felt like a box ticking exercise from the way the chat went.

This new head coach role was definitely drawn up with Lee Carsley in mind. Canham and Carsley worked together at PL academies helping to implement plans that Canham now wants to introduce into Irish football.

If they didn't have to get full board approval I'd say the Carsley deal would have been wrapped up already. Because they need full approval this is what's causing the issues.

If they wait a bit then Tuchel might get the sack from Bayern and the papers can switch from Lennon, to Coleman, to Barry as next potential manager.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

People seriously suggesting Mick McCarthy is, to me, frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Insane. It's like Stockholm syndrome or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

I'd take Mick back before many of the options being discussed even though Mick's time has surely passed!

Something I saw on twitter which I thought was interesting after someone here was questioning Even Ferguson's place in the team. I don't know how to link to it, but someone posted a list on the reddit Liverpool page showing the players with the most shots on target per 90 mins in the premier league this season. Darwin Nunez is number one ahead of Haaland which is why its being discussed there, but Evan Ferguson stood out to me at number 8 on the list. Very impressive for a teenager. He's the youngest in the top 20 by more than 2 years.

His goals per shots on target isn't bad either at 0.33. As in he scores one in three. Darwin is 0.26. Haaland is 0.42. Salah is 0.41. Watkins 0.39. But Ferguson is ahead of established senior players like Jesus and Alvarez.

The data suggests that once he matures and is able to start regularly for Brighton, that Ferguson should be a top 10 premier league striker for a long number of years similar to how Robbie Keane was. How high his ceiling is will be interesting to find out!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Anyone who actually watches him play knows the story. People think because he's no scoring a hatrick every week he's no good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭adaminho

Would Roy Hodgson work with an up and coming coach similarly to Bobby and Stan ( I know that didn't work well at the time). Maybe an O'Shea or Robbie Keane and Roy as a senior advisor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,119 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Appoint an old man in ill health?

Don't think so, plus managing us could finish him off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

And Robbie keane and the FAI are currently not on good terms so forget about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I doubt Hughton would refuse the job if offered it just because he feels like a break from the game. It's unlikely he'll be getting many offers elsewhere. Coleman looks like the best option at this stage. At least he has experience of playing and managing at a high(ish) level. That counts for something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I spat my tea out there but he would be a cut above most of the lads mentioned in terms of recent experience.

No idea if his style would galvanize a mediocre enough bunch though

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Stewball

Hodgson would be an excellent appointment, but given his recent health issues I doubt he'd be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

There must be someone better than Chris Coleman...I know we are below average at the moment but there must be better options out there. Even a younger manager like Robbie or Duffer would be a better than that chancer.

• Advertisement

And another case where a massive pay cut would have been required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭adaminho

But my original point was as an advisor with a young coach in charge. Would work out cheaper and wouldn't tax his health as much.

The cost of Hodgson on top of a manager's wage would be way more than we can afford.

Would've been a nice idea with the right young coach (someone like Eustace ideally), but sadly way out of our range even if Hodgson was healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

According to BBC Wales, Coleman is no longer in contention.

https://twitter.com/DafPritchard/status/1759677896472375774?t=yklXuAk5Uy1wsy9X2LCXnA&s=19

BBC reporting that Coleman is out of the running.

Also see Gavin Cooney reporting that the FAI spoke with Anthony Hudson twice during their manager search. Managed Bahrain, New Zealand, was assistant manager of USA and took over as interim manager last year. Currently managing a team in Qatar.

A read of his background and it seems what the FAI want from their new head coach is exactly what Hudson was doing with NZ. Was responsible for overseeing the programme of the country's age-group representative sides.

Not an exciting name but shows that maybe they've actually looked outside the box during the manager search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Dafydd Pritchard just on OTB confirming that Coleman no longer been considered. Definitely interesting development.

Seems like a bit of a mess, unless they have got agreement with Carsley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,119 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thank Chr1st. Complete spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,045 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd take Roy Keane now tbh

It's really **** embarrassing its going on so long

Maybe Jose is on his way and we all embrace our FAI overlords

Literally zero chance of that. We’d be offering a fraction of the wages he’ll get elsewhere. He’s miles out of our range.

Mick Beale’s an option that might just about be within reach after another sacking, this time with Sunderland after only a few months. He seems like a fella who’s invested in club football for the moment though.

I don’t really get the embarrassing thing. Embarrassing for fans in front of whom? England football fans? Irish rugby fans? Your wife and kids? Who exactly do you feel is laughing at you behind your back because the national football team has had a long wait to appoint a new manager when no games were being played.

it’s the same now as it was in November. If we get carsley, the manager hunt will have been success. If we get one of the other named candidates it won’t be. If we get someone else we’ll evaluate at that point.

i didn’t need a manager named in 2023. i didn’t need a manager named in early February.

Really don’t get the need to rush or be embarrassed about anything other than the usual things that are an embarrassment in Irish football for decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Paul Jewell is now the target rumour has it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

It feels like there just leaking names & then gauging the public reaction, to negative move onto the next 🤔

Or they spoke to Lennon, carsley and Coleman and the press and public have taken that to jump to conclusions that their appointment is imminent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

How would he be better than the likes of Bruce or Allardyce I wonder...

He isn't and the rumour is faceless Twitter accounts saying give it to Jewell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

Mick Beale falls into the spoofer category for me and with him being ex Rangers it would go down like a lead balloon. Not a runner for me. Interesting that Coleman is out. You would hope there is a plan here that we just don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Beale’s an incredibly accomplished coach, with huge youth and development experience, which was the primary attribute the FAI are looking for (hence Carsley being first choice).

Definite questions over his higher level senior club management, but that’s true of every single other applicant too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭TokTik

Anyone who touches Beale now should have their fit and proper test revoked. Used car salesman of a manager, must be decent at interviews, but absolutely useless at management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'm three unfinished tattoos into this manager search.

Not embarrassed though. Hold my head up high. FAI 4 EVA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Thankfully not Coleman , hopefully Carsley takes it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Trampas

From my sitting on the sofa lack of any expertise in football. What kind of manager do they want? It seems pure random and not a certain type of manager. On Carsley it depends on what future he wants. If things go belly up with us could that be his career over from a getting a top league job or England if he wants it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭TokTik

Are you laughing at Sweden? Is anyone? They’ve been waiting even longer than us for a manager, and they have a professional league and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,626 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

LOL, must be havin a laugh here. He’s been sacked twice in the space of about 8 weeks, will ya stop.

The FAI don't have a clue as to what manager they want. Their jumping from Billy to Jack and their all turning them down. Turning into a farce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭McFly85

Don’t think it’s embarrassing at all really - at least the FAI have cast a wide net trying to find a manager who fits the profile they want instead of just throwing cash at a name.

But we’re a really hard sell at the moment. I can’t imagine many managers looking at the job and being confident of success. So I think we will end up with a Lennon/Keane type, someone with recent enough managerial experience but isn’t looking for managerial work anywhere else.

If that’s the case I hope they do a 2 year deal, I think it will be much easier to sell the job for the Euros campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dodged a bullet with Chris Coleman. He's been living off taking a once in multiple centuries talented Welsh team to the semi-finals of a Euros. He's achieved nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭jonnreeks

The FAI are getting desperate now!

Panic Stations!

😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He's achieved nothing since.

IMO that's not due to lack of ability but to the self-destructive decision to take the Sunderland job when his stock was at its highest and he would surely have received a decent premier league offer if he had hung on for a bit. They were in the bottom 3 at the time, he got no backing in the transfer window, the club were relegated and Coleman was back to being in the eyes of the football world a journeyman EFL-level manager.

Anyway John O'Shea is now favourite for the Ireland job with the only bookie offering odds, Bet365.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

John O'Shea is the favourite now??? Ah lads wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭RonanG86

What odds are the bookie's giving on re-hiring Kenny?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement