Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

The Sun is reporting it won't be O'Shea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Guffy

Because you haven't personally been kept in the loop or because you actually buy every article written on it.

It's a farce if JOS is appointed, anything else is a wait and see who it is and why them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Acosta

It's been a farce of a process. The FAI more or less said they had their man about a month and a half back. And that it was a contract issue that was holding up the announcement until April. That was either horseshit or premature.

They should have kept quiet, not worried about the media and kept their heads down until the job was done and a manager was appointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,992 ✭✭✭billyhead

So if it's not JOS and it's an ex United player, it can only be Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Or Mark Hughes, or Schteve McClaren (if it's ex-United, rather than ex-United player specifically).

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Or Eric Cantona. He was seen in the boozer on Talbot Street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,806 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Goal and an assist for Parrott tonight. Fingers crossed that the decent season he'd had at Excelsior will put him in the shop window.

He had that weird singer/songwriter show he performed (for 50 quid a ticket no less!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Ah yeah I know. But at this stage I'm clutching at straws in the hope it's not JOS.

Every time Marc Canham speaks it seems the criteria and timeline have changed.

Makes sense I suppose… they started with their best case scenario, but nobody was biting. So you gotta either open up the criteria, or add more money - and we know the money aspect is pretty much out of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Apparent interest from the Dutch big 3 and some Bundesliga sides in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Unfortunately it looks like he'll be missing for a game or two after he was given a straight red after the final whistle.

A fan who seems close to Excelsior Rotterdam downplayed those rumours about the big three in Holland showing interest on the Irish Abroad podcast.

Was full of praise for the work Parrott is putting in given the negative style of play that Excelsior use. Believe he said it's more likely clubs around the Europa spots bar Ajax would have potential interest in him.

Coming into the final year of his Spurs contract so definitely think he's leaving Spurs for good this summer.

Another young player in Holland who could be on the move is Anselmo MacNulty. Reports in Spain are saying Real Betis are interested in bringing the youngster back to the club. Though they also say it's more long term planning as they're open to him going on loan to another Spanish team but will have the chance to impress as both senior LBs could leave.

Mark McCadden (big pinch of salt needed) also reporting that there's interest from championship clubs who could get promoted this season along with Club Brugge who've supposedly scouted him since last season.

Gets his 30th goal of the season (24th in the league) and Blackburn's first player to reach 30 for the season since Shearer in the 95/96 season. Adam Armstrong came the closet scoring 29 with all bar one coming in the league.

Mark O'Mahoney made his PL debut for Brighton today after he signed a new three year contract mid week. 16 yr old Ike Ozari made the match day squad for Stade de Reims today. Not sure if they've got players missing or not but they're currently 7th in Ligue 1.

Michael Obafemi scored for Millwall in their 3-1 win over Cardiff and was named motm. No Callum Robinson for Cardiff whose missed the last two games due to internal disciplinary issues it seems.

Will Smallbone opened the scoring for Southampton's 3-2 win over Watford and was also named motm. Scored inside the first minute with Southampton's first attack on goal.

Adam Idah continues his goal scoring form for Celtic with his 7th goal in 10 league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭briany

The search for the next Irish manager is like some maddening house of mirrors owned by David Lynch. Every time a name pops up, it's nearly gone again before you can even click on the link that mooted it.

Fair enough that the FAI are keeping their cards pretty close to their chest, but at best it's not going to be Jose Mourinho, is it? At best, it's going to be some second-rate premiership man or someone who's managed a couple of decent international sides but is now very much on the downhill side of their abilities. That's at best. More possibly John O' Shea. Point being that whoever it is isn't exactly going to deserve the smoke and mirrors show of intrigue normally reserved for selecting the next pope.

Although it could be that the FAI don't even know and they're still fumbling around trying to do a deal a few days before they've said they would unveil the guy and that's not exactly an encouraging sign.

Any word on whether or not Sheffield United want Chris Wilder to stay on in the Championship next season? He initially signed until the end of next season, but it's not exactly gone well, and if they plan on making a change in the summer he'd be a brilliant option for us. Could proobbbably get a better paying championship job, but after a few very rough jobs in a row he might fancy a slightly easier life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'd not say no to Steve Cooper in that frame either. And he's not in a job so would be more gettable given the financial constraints...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭Xander10

He is highly regarded. Just working with a sheff utd squad that are muck.

I'd take him in a heart beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

A couple of Tayto sandwiches might entice him😜 He's out of our wage bracket surely he'd get a lower premier or big championship job for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,720 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He hired Keith Andrews at Sheffield United. That's a red flag

Cooper will have better offers than us if he waits. Wouldn't be surprised if Forest are still paying him some wages to sit at home. Don't think he'd walk away from that for the Ireland job. Was getting £1.5m a year at Forest.

I'm not sure Wilder is still in that 'big championship' job bracket after things went so badly at Boro and Watford, before his return to Sheffield United. Think he'd still get a championship job alright, but more of a mid-or-lower table one right now. I think he can for sure get a better job than ours regardless, but I'm more-so wondering if he might fancy a break from the week-to-week grind after 3 very tough years, and has a fairly clear connection to Irish football through his transfers and assistants over the years.

Probably out of our league alright though, definitely an optimistic pitch on my part. I don't think I can even muster an optimistic pitch for Cooper though, reckon we have absolutely no chance whatsoever there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The problem is there is nothing attractive about the job. Financially or professionally. It would suit an older semi retired manager. It just doesn't suit anyone on the up with experience and ambition in club management.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yep, and it looks like the fai are not willing to realise that. They're playing league of Ireland or league two wages. Just because all these famous people have taken their call didn't mean they are truly interested in the job. The money has to be right for them and it's nowhere near right.

They should have been realistic about this from the start and snapped up Duff.

Now they're going to be left with O'Shea with no experience or another version of Kenny with no top level respect. There was always going to be a compromise. Their job was to make it look like it isn't a compromise. They've failed at that.

This links back to the CEO and his team being poor at getting sponsorship. The lack of shirt deal was one thing but they really should have been making small to medium sized deals with every top company in the country. Then In times like this they can lean on tens of sponsors to help out a bit. They've failed at this too.

It honestly seems like they're prank calling famous managers.

'do you want to be Ireland manager?'

'sounds interesting, what kind of backroom team can i bring?'

'NONE!, the budget is ZERO!!, Ha ha ha, you've been pranked by FAI FM'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It is beyond a farce now. The FAI are embarassing themselves. Maybe there's a reality show on the way or something. Strictly football manager. Anyone interested in the job apply and they manage 5 a sides competitions for a month with the viewers voting for the winner.

I’d say they’re still fumbling around.

O’Shea wouldn’t be my choice because I think this young group need an experienced savvy leader, but at least he is enthusiastic and has knowledge of the Irish game. He does bring certain qualities, and is quite popular with the public.

For the FAI, it’s hard for them to now appoint a second rate failed Premier League or Championship manager, (or anything which could be considered a downgrade on O’Shea) after all the talk of this comprehensive and robust search which they always say is progressing very well.

They either need to appoint O’Shea or somebody who is clearly a better candidate. And they have seriously undermined O’Shea at this point. So they’re screwed basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

Kelleher back on the bench today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭Xander10

I’m not sure the process works, but I’d imagine if you reach out to somebody with absolutely zero interest in the role (say for example Klopp or Guardiola) you just get a short polite “thanks but no thanks” from their agent.

They’re not gonna spend time for interviews/discussions. There is no “discussion”.

So anybody who had one or more direct discussions , must have had at least a passing interest or curiosity. Willing to give some time to the FAI with at least a “let’s hear them out” attitude.

We do have information about discussions with Carsley, Roy Keane, Neil Lennon, Solskjaer, Barry, Poyet and probably others. The “candidates” have confirmed this. So there’s definitely a difficulty in sealing the deal with semi-interested candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Guffy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭atilladehun

No doubt, until the FAI tell those people we cant afford your price or your backroom. Then that candidate wonders why the FAI bothered to contact them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

Yes because LOI and League 2 managers are well known for being paid 11k a week ffs 😂. Stephen Kenny was paid more than Janne Andersson as manager.

Talks breaking down with Poyet regarding the backroom team was less about lack of money and more about them not wanting to hire his son who couldn't make it as a footballer so has been hired as his assistant manager at his last two jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Dodged a bullet there. The fact they went that far in negotiations is unnerving and shows how desperate they are. If the tables were turned and Poyet was whoring himself out to Greece before we played them in a competitive game, Ireland fans would have went into meltdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ElJaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

what position does he play for Blackburn. He played well generally but he wasn’t on the end of anything in those two recent Ireland games. We desperately need a goal scorer and should set the team up to get him in the positions to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

RTE news : Hill leaves his position as FAI CEO

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024/0415/1443605-hill-leaves-his-position-as-fai-ceo/

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Probably been offered the managers job..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Definitely no manager announcement this week so or anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

As John Delaney said when he left, "If you think I'm bad, wait till you see what's coming. Well not as bad as me, but pretty bad too."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

Leaving CEO post on 30th April , so FAI seeking 2 high profile positions and more when you add backroom positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

This is incredible stuff.

The Government is never going to increase funding for this organisation.

Believe when he got the vote of confidence at the board meeting one of the reason given or only reason given possibly was because we were still in the middle of searching for a new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

John O'Shea to pull double duty as interim coach and ceo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement