Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It’s a different role though, international manager is less demanding than a club job. Only around 10 games a year compared to 50+, no transfers to do etc.

Especially one as high pressure as in the Premier League.

You never know, might interest someone like Moyes who is now into his 60s

I’m not sure working for the FAI is very appealing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

What a dope this lad is. Norwich's biggest game of the season this weekend when they play Leeds at home in the playoff and he's pissed off his head 6 days before hand and crashes his car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭Xander10

I suspect , issues , had an impact on his departure from Brighton and Celtic.

Doesn't seem to be getting any wiser as he gets older. That said, I wish him well and hope a lesson learnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Crashes into someone drink driving night before the last game of the season. Arrested 3 times over the legal alcohol limit. Starts and plays 75 mins the next morning. You'd be shocked if your team mate did it at Sunday league level.

Post edited by franglan on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Why would they take it and a massive pay cut when both of them still have a future in the Premier League?

Moyes is definitely still a viable option for a Premier League outfit looking for someone to steady the ship for a season or two. He'll have offers like that this summer. Rodgers would surely fancy another Premier League job after Celtic. As I said already, neither are even in our universe.

If they're after a part time low stress gig, both of them would get more than we're offering doing the after dinner circuit and bits and pieces for the media/punditry spouting yarns about their days as Liverpool and Man UTD managers. That's the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

What he did is really dangerous for other people on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

It's despicable behaviour. As someone who has lost 2 family members in a road traffic collision albeit not from drink driving I've lost all respect for him

• Advertisement

Richard Keogh at Derby , did it finish his career?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭bren2001

£2.3 million compensation for Keogh. Great end to his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TokTik

He wasn’t driving in that case, he was a back seat passenger

Scored the equaliser and picked up the motm award too in St Pat's game against Shams. Keeper slipping definitely helps Melia but still has a lot to do to score and does so with a really good finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Advertisement

Massive financial benefit for a team getting to the EPL. Reckon they will decide on any action after the play offs

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Mikey Johnston, Ryan Manning, and Will Smallbone all starting the other playoff game today. If Livescore line up is correct then Manning could be playing in defence.

Speaking of Southampton they reportedly have interest in signing Anselmo Garcia MacNulty. Along with Leeds, Leicester, Real Betis (his boyhood club), and Club Brugge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Troy Parrott hits a brace today. That's 10 for the season and 14 goal involvements total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Armstrong Okoflex also got on the score sheet for Zurich today, while Garcia Mac Nulty starts again for Zwolle is currently about to earn a clean sheet with minutes left.

Edit: no clean sheet

That late goal for RKC keeps Excelsior in the relegation playoffs going into the final game. Both teams level on points but Excelsior have -3 goal difference. Excelsior are away to rivals Feyenoord and RKC are away to PSV.

If Excelsior end up in the playoffs then Parrott could well be playing his final game of the season 48hrs before our game against Hungary. Interesting to see what involvement he'll have in our camp if that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Sam Curtis, mark o mahony, nathan fraser and alex muphy all made their premier league debut this season.

Add in decent num of appearances for Kelleher, Collins, Ogbene, Ferguson, Doherty, O Shea and Cullen.

On the face of it, you think we have enough to be better than we are

A well organised team from League One like Portsmouth and Bolton would have done better than we did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Szmodics making a come get me plea to the PL teams. 33 goals in a poor Blackburn side. I wonder how he cut in the top division.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/sammie-szmodics-nobody-should-begrudge-32782909

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Only a couple of these were regularly playing and a number of those got relegated. It is bleaker than ever at the highest levels for us imo. I am always optimistic but prospect after prospect after prospect has failed to deliver at this stage. Even a solid mid table EPL player is above the standard of Ireland now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Few lad playing with teams in the playoffs but you would have to wonder how many will keep their place if promoted

Manning and Smallbone unlikely to be 1st choice if they go up but would see plenty gametime, Bazunu injured

If Johnson stays at WBA he might regularly, Molumphy is injured but hasn't featured much

Duffy could be cut loose depending on his court case and Idah likely to be a sub again if he stays at Norwich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Looks like Kenny is going to become St Pats manager. I think that's more his level…it really is nuts to think that he became the national team manager considering his experience…was always going to go one way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It was cruel on him to leave him in charge until the bitter end in the way that they did. The FAI though a complete basket case and its really no wonder that they can’t get anyone to work for them and take on the job that Kenny left. Hopefully he can recover and get back to where he was in the LOI with St Pats.

Gazzetta reporting that Juventus are monitoring Jake O'Brien as a possible signing if Bremer is sold this summer. Player has a clause in his contract for 2025 but Juventus willing to sell this summer if they get €60M for him. Lyon have one league game left and need some results to go their way to finish within the European places or beat PSG in the cup final.

If PSG win the cup then sixth gets the Europa League spot (currently Lens 50pts +8GD), 7th gets Conference playoff spot (currently Lyon 50pts -7GD), but Marseille have a game in hand which if they win they'll jump ahead of Lens and Lyon because of goal difference (currently 47pts +11GD).

That’s great news. Great to see young Irish players go straight to the continent and skipping the over saturated EPL and English Championship. There’s been a few English players in recent times that have gone to Italy and Spain as an alternative to England. Players like Abraham and Trippier. In the past they went to Italy and Spain in particular because the money was better and the league’s there were a step up. They’re going there now as an alternative because it’s very hard to get regular game time with the top sides especially, so they’re going to Italy or Spain as an alternative to playing for mid or lower table teams. For Irish players coming through it’s very difficult to get opportunities to play for the top teams in England, makes a lot of sense to try to play in Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Tbf he took chances presented by an English club and its ownership. He was at Palace, who have the same owners as Lyon and the same owners as the team in Belgium he was on loan at last season.

• Advertisement

of course England is still an option and will continue to be the first place where our best players are likely to go but having more of our players playing for European clubs is the way to go.

Massive result for Udinese beating Lecce 2-0. Jumps them from 18th to 15th with two games left. They've Empoli and Frosinone left to play who are both a point behind them in the table. Festy came off the bench in the 74th minute and Abankwah was an unused sub.

19 yr old Alex Murphy also signed a new long term contract today with Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

That sadly is the reality of where are player pool is talent level wise at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Well, it's only good if he would actually get game time at Juventus. Otherwise it might set him back a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,119 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some chat last night about Moyes, and how he could maybe look for an international job now..

Please don't let it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

David Moyes is out of our league both financially and standards wise. Would be like him leaving West Ham and taking the Sheffield Wednesday job.

If he takes an international job anytime soon it's only gonna be the Scotland job. Also the fact that the FAI were talking to the likes of Hudson and others with Lennon the only manager publicly begging for the job then we'd be blessed if someone like Moyes showed an interest let alone actually take the job.

How could anyone turn their nose up at David Moyes? I can't see him being interested either financially or from a challenges perspective but my God I'd bite your leg off for Moyes at Ireland.

An hilarious comment that you quoted there, you’re 100 percent correct Moyes is currently way out of our league because of the chaotic clown shoe outfit that the FAI are right now. The notions some people retain are kind of funny given what we’ve seen over the last several months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Well to be fair it's quite obvious that a lot of Irish fans want to see a more attractive style of play. Whether that is realistic or not is one thing, but you can't be surprised if they don't change their ideology when a high profile manager of the "old school" persuasion comes along. In fact, it's quite admirable.

The thing is that while he is a very good manager, fans of the two teams he was most successful with couldn't wait to see the back of him.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

West Ham fans are batshit crazy. Sam comes in and saves them but it wasn't the "West Ham way" (whatever that means). Moyes comes in and saves them, they hound him out. He comes back in and saves them, he wins a European Cup with them and then has a fairly mundane season this year. Gets hounded out again. They could easily slide into a relegation battle next year without him. I don't put an ounce of stock into what they think.

I don't remember Everton fans desperate to see the back of him. He left to succeed Fergie.

We have appointed JOS for the 2nd time as interim manager. The idea we should hold out for a manager playing the "right type of football" is gone. That ship sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

West Ham fans should be kissing his feet. They could only dream about winning a European trophy. The "West Ham Way"…what a crock of shite

They went 43 years without winning anything. It might have been time for Moyes to go anyway but some of their fans apparently have wanted him out for ages even though he was steering them well clear of relegation and actually picking up silverware. As is often the case with sections of collective football fans in a given group of supporters; a chunk of them are often very vociferous but not very smart.

I’m a Celtic fan, I know all about it. We’ve had similar nonsense and noise re Brendan Rodgers.

Post edited by TheCitizen on

Some fans are full of nonsense and there’s nothing admirable about being full of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Huh? Do you understand what I said? I said it was admirable to stick to an overall principle instead of suddenly doing a 180 when an easier option for short term success comes along.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

That depends on what the “overall principle” is. Attacking and attractive football where possible should always be part of an overall principle but not at the expense of practical football and a football strategy that suits our group of players and gets the best results possible out of them.

Does anyone know what the overall principle is regarding the FAI’s current pursuit of the next manager for the senior men’s team? They don’t seem to be able to agree on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Moyes would be an incredible appointment, mad to suggest otherwise.

Adam Idah starting and playing really well for Celtic tonight

I think we’ll keep him. Really like his attitude and determination. He’s got skills as well. He’s a keeper for me as a Celtic fan and first pick for John O’Shea for the Ireland games coming soon especially with Ferguson out injured.

The Moyes chat on here started a couple of pages ago when a poster was talking about Moyes or Brendan Rodgers. Moyes or Rodgers? We wish.

Neil Lennon is in talks to take the Rapid Bucharest job. Apparently that Marc Canham fella phoned Lennon to tell him he was out of the running for the Ireland job. We should have appointed Lennon in my opinion or at the very least shouldn’t have ruled him out and the idea that there were some in the FAI turning their nose up at the prospect of him as manager alarms me given the situation we’re in now with the national team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement