Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Vardy has 18 goals in the championship this season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cannon would not get near Englsvd squad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

From what I read the English FA contacted him to play for England and not Ireland. So Southgate and the English FA now clearly have a policy of going around sniffing out players with dual or more nationality whether they are English born or not and are telling them to not declare for us or other countries whether they ever intend to use them or not. They were at the same carry on with Evan Ferguson even though he was Irish born but through family connections could have played for England. With Bamford they actually gave him a token international cap when he agreed for them to not play for Ireland. So the policy appears to be, even if they never use them they’re going to make sure as hell that no one else will either.

I think it’s a bit extreme and pathetic stuff from the English FA, I mean if they’re as good as they think they are they really shouldn’t be worried about the odd player slipping through their system and playing for us. The well has run dry anyway as emigration from Ireland to England isn’t as prevalent as before. I think it goes back to Jack’s time when Jack enticed top level players that were English born to play for Ireland and the English FA were clearly angry about that hence this ott approach now.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭bren2001

If we were England, we would do the same thing. Nothing wrong with the English FA calling Bamford or Cannon up and going through the numbers with them of what an England cap means. I don’t see how that’s pathetic. Players choice.

It is when they know full well that they will never use them as international players, they’re just preventing other usually smaller international teams from getting them. It’s not good for the players involved, they’re codded into thinking they might get caps with England but end up with no international career at all.

Players like Aldridge or Townsend might have got a cap or two with England instead of the extensive international careers they had with Ireland but these days with the English FA policy they wouldn’t have that international career that they enjoyed with Ireland.

They don’t know if they will ever use him. He’s 21 and could go on to be an England international at some stage. They simply don’t want to regret not approaching him if he turns out to be a good enough player in 5/6 years.

Players can still choose to come to us even after an FA approach.

I don’t care about the English FA, my point was in reply to a poster who was saying that Cannon was deluded and listening to idiots. The reason why he was stalling on fully declaring for Ireland was because the English FA were contacting him and my point was that they’ve changed their policy in recent years and my opinion is it’s an ott policy that will more often than not end up with players having no international career.

We just have to become more reliant on our own players and accept that the players we accessed via Irish heritage from England is reduced significantly and that the English FA are trying to stop the flow completely.

There’s nothing ott about it. They don’t want another Rice or Grealish situation. It’s a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

I agree out pipeline is diminished. If Canon wants to play for England then he should wait and do that.

I disagree I think it’s ott and unnecessary from their viewpoint. It would have made feck all difference to England back in the day if Aldridge or say for example Cascarino was available to them because they prevented them being international players for us when they were younger.

I largely agree with your second point. However thing about it is though that in the past these English lads with Irish heritage when they played for us for a few games most of them bought into it and enjoyed the international experience and it also enhanced their club careers. The English FA want to put a stop to that. Hopefully it will happen with Tom Cannon regardless of the English FA’s efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Bamford had zero interest in playing for Ireland, same as Mark Noble. The FA didn't trick him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I strongly doubt the England FA are approaching players with the sole intent of stopping them playing for other countries. I'm sure they believe that any player they approach has the potential to play for England, even if it's just a small chance. We all saw how Kane developed a bit late. Cannon did have an impressive loan spell at Preston and the manner of his goals looked like a real hitman. I still think he could be a prolific goalscorer.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

Tom Cannon is English. If he and the English FA want to discuss the possiblility of him playing for England, that's entirely reasonable.

It's us that are poaching players here. And then getting butt-hurt when English players decide they want to play for England.

It's us that are poaching players here. And then getting butt-hurt when English players decide they want to play for England.

I would think people are only "butt-hurt" when people play for us at underage and then switch at senior. I don't remember many people being annoyed by Bamford or Noble, most people just said "fair enough, they're English".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Bamford got his England cap several years after dithering over his choice and on the back of a debut PL season where he scored 17 goals. It was hardly them giving him a cap early on to tie him down.

At the end of the day, these lads are born and raised in England. They're not all going to be like Kevin Kilbane; some will grow up feeling more English, especially if their connection is further back and not 100%, so its perfectly understandable that they want to play for England one day and want to keep that door open.

We should focus on players who want to play for us from the get go and look at others who are eligible once they've hit their stride as senior players.

That’s exactly the way I have come to see it. I don’t think we should play English born players at underage level. Give those opportunities to young players here.

If English or other nationality born players want to declare for us at senior level, great they are most welcome. If Tom Cannon has decided to declare for us he is most welcome, if not fine but it’d be preferable if he didn’t waste our or his time spending ages deliberating over it. No need for any one to get “butt hurt” about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Cheerio Nathan, doubt he'd fancy the extra weeks holiday if it was England calling him up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I find a lot of people who moan about this kind of thing fawn over rugby players born and bred in New Zealand who couldn't find Ireland on a map playing for Ireland.

Nationality is not black and white. It might be for you if you are born and bred in Ireland to Irish parents, obviously there's not question of your nationality, but not every family is like that and a lot of people seem to fail to understand that.

You can be proud to be from more than one country and you can also prefer one over the other, it doesn't make you less of a person.

My only issues with it is if you're unsure about which country you want to play for then play for none until you've made your mind up. Don't string one country along until you've made your mind up or suddenly become good enough to play for a better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think its an inferiority complex. I doubt English fans get worked up about players declaring for other nations whereas fans of smaller nations tend to pin more hopes on these players.

The fact is international football is also going the way of club football and it can be more or less glamorous for players if they have a choice of national team. Globalisation also has a big effect. The make-up of my estate has changed drastically over the 35 years since my family moved there.

Unlike club football, fans don't have that choice, especially the majority of Irish fans who grew up in the country to Irish parents.

I think the next few generations of Irish people will be more understanding about the topic, especially given how many Irish people now have relatives in other countries or a parent or parents from different countries.

FWIW, there have been several Irish born and bred players who have gone on to play for other countries (Roberto Lopes for Cape Verde, Eamon Zayed for Libya and Ayman Ben Mohamed for Tunisia) and I don't remember people getting upset about them. I know the argument will be 'they weren't good enough' but its a similar situation.

• Advertisement

You should take a read of the England forum on Big Soccer and you'd be surprised at the reaction when a player declares for another country.

Speaking of dual nationals, I'm surprised there's no mention of Wales never having an interest in Calum Kavanagh. Unless they've asked before and told straight up its Ireland or no one.

Like they'll straight up cap anyone that's playing in the English football league and he's been in good form since joining Bradford. Really would like to see him get minutes with the U21s this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hear few rumbles that Dewsbury-Hall wants play for Ireland. No idea of Irish connection but he would walk into CM for us "if" he did join ireland

A quick google says that Chelsea are interested in him.

Gavin Cooney I think it was said he was eligible after the games in March. Doubt he has any interest whatsoever. He's 26 this September and has never played international football for anyone.

I'd say the only way he'd even give us the time of day is if we qualify for a tournament and want to bring him.

Probably just lazy journalism because of Maresca. Wouldn't say he'd have enough pull at Chelsea to sign him unless Boehly is a fan of KDH.

26 is far too old for Chelsea.

After an eight year contract he'd be 34.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TokTik

They wouldn’t sign Maddison because he was 25 and Poch really wanted him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,608 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Fair walloping tonight for the women's team. No goals in their last 5 games now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭Xander10

It should be a warning on how appointing JOS on the cheap to the men's team, could go horribly wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

I'm fairness the Ladies are in a top tier group, world seeds 2, 3 and 6. A bit of perspective is required here !

This campaign was always gonna be tough and then just became insanely tough when we drew teams ranked 2nd, 3rd, and 5th in the world.

Always said the only reason Gleeson got the job was because of the changes brought in for this campaign. If the old format was kept they would have hired outside of the FAI.

Coincidentally when they were advertising to replace Gleeson as head of women's football the job was advertised as fixed term contract rather than permanent contract which Gleeson had.

That to me says Gleeson was only ever gonna get one qualification campaign unless she really impressed. Don't count the NL as we drew the easiest draw possible and were expected to top that group with ease.

• Advertisement

maybe the players shouldn’t have shafted Vera who had them competitive against big teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,219 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

And the teams biggest weakness as it has risen in prominence has been the lack of a genuine reliable 9 to get goals. This has been exposed in this group against the most elite of opponents. Again today we had good chances when the game was still in the balance and didn't take them. This is a good team but without a quality 9 this level of opposition is above where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

We were always going to finish bottom of this group and it would be a big surprise if we took any points from the 6 games.

The big games are the playoffs. 7 of the 8 teams who come 3rd/4th in the A groups will be seeded for the final playoff round, so it is very important we are not ranked 8th by the end, but given it’s the hardest group it might be our fate. So far two other teams have 0 points also: Czech (-5) and Poland (-8). Our goal difference is -6, so we’re ranked 7th of the 8 at the moment, but will be worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TokTik

Pauw the til tier manager. Still unemployed. No one wants her. I wonder why??

Who ever called her til (top) tier? She knew how to organize a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

Whether Pauw was guilty, innocent or somewhere in between it became a circus with the allegations against her and I couldn't blame the players being sick of it or the FAI for wanting a clean break

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

We take a hammering and now it's back to Pauw talk? Football was poor, defeatist, didn't believe in simple sports science, Pauw was not the answer - whatever else about the stuff around her behaviour.

Vera even with her ultra negative tactics only picked up a point after a 0-0 draw against Nigeria. Playing for a draw when we needed a win to possibly go through. Only goal that we scored was McCabe scoring directly from a corner against Canada.

FAI were right to part ways when they did but really should have went with an experienced replacement. Had she stayed on could have gotten even uglier than the way things ended for MON.

They've taken some gamble that Gleeson can make the Euros with the changes in qualification. Someone said it last night, things ain't looking good for you when your best chance of picking up points this campaign was against the team that finished 3rd in the WC.

• Advertisement

She got us to a world cup. She drew with the team who hammered us yesterday. Lets not rewrite history, Pauw was a simply fantastic manager of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

There's a reason Pauw is unemployed. It isn't becuase she's a fantastic manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

She was exactly what we needed when she was hired. But things had become untenable with the squad, so was the right decision to let her go.

I don’t think her being unemployed is down to her ability as much as the reputation around her after that report and subsequent Athletic article though - with that shadow over someone it becomes very hard to be appointed.

Seems the only contact between Cannon and the FA was back in March 2023 according to Cannon when Carsley talked with his agent after his U21s debut for us. Says no one from the FA has ever talked to him personally.

Some were expecting Southgate to call him up ASAP.

The notion that Southgate was gonna roll out the red carpet for Cannon was truly baffling really.

• Advertisement

Did I dream that he pulled out of a squad to consider his allegiance?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Was called up for the training camp 12 months ago but was unavailable due to sickness. Think he's been injured for all squads since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Media driven hype again. Still feeding off people's insecurity after Declan Rice

I mean there's no point really going on about it, but I do think it was more than media hype, and there was probably a real dilemma for him at this time last year until now. A few people including managers and players have talked about it if I recall such as Kenny and Seamus Coleman and he happened to be not available for a squad over the entire year, and he never saw fit to end media speculation himself despite his undying commitment to Ireland.

I don't blame him for keeping his options open , but I also don't buy the bs either.

Post edited by johnnyryan89 on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement