Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭adaminho

Parrot finishes the season with another hat-trick but ends up relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Iecrawfc

I know he's working for the FA but it grates a little to have 'proud irishman' Carsley trying to get an Irish u21 to declare another country...different story if Cannon makes the first move but this sounds like Carsley made the first move..more baffling since he was considering being the Irish senior manager soon after...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On the other side though, it's the English U21 manager inquiring about a talented English born, English eligible player off the back of a great season at the time.

Honestly, I think the best thing for everyone is that the kids are given their options, and can make up their minds with their parents and representation. Yeah, some players will switch one way or another, and that's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭bren2001

There's nothing grating about it. He's doing his job to the best of his abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Omobamidele has been ruled out and replaced by Bosun Lawal for the Hungary game who'll then return to the U21s.

That really says it all for our options at left back. Just not sure what the point is of including a lad like Stevens who's fallen away over the past few seasons, or even thinking about going back to McClean. Surely these friendlies are the time to give younger guys with a bit of form a look in. I'd still probably have had Manning in there, but even if we're not going that direction, maybe Corrie Ndaba who's had a decent season for Kilmarnack at left wing back. Quick, strong, and a solid defender.

I'd say it's as simple as these lads are his mates.

Acknowledges we need younger players coming through and this part of the article is even funnier after Omobamidele's injury.

“Whether it be Anselmo Garcia who’s doing well . . . is he a natural left-back? Centre-back more so?

When his replacement for Omobamidele is Lawal whose head and shoulders a much better midfielder than he'll ever be a CB.

Even Celtic fans are scratching their heads at why someone would ever try and turn him into a CB and weren't impressed by him at CB with the B's or the odd minutes he got with the seniors.

Didn't know Ndaba was playing LB/LWB. Always assumed he was just a CB. Kilmarnock also finished fourth in the league so would have been worth a look.

Yeah, seems they saw his pace and that he'd played a couple of games at LB for Salford and Fleetwood, and gave him a try out at wing back, and it worked really well. Saw a video a few months ago with one of their journo-fans talking about his performances, and how his pace and defensive ability at wing back are a big part of what's made their formation work, and that when he was out with injuries the system fell apart a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Lawal looks a bit bulky to me to be a fit for the modern body profile of an elite level midfielder. Hopefully I’m wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sure he was tipped to be our 'main star' a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

He's 22. A lot of expectation placed on his shoulders at a young age. If we weren't so shite he'd only really called up to the senior squad off the back of this season.

.…

U21s squad was named yesterday. Crawford needs to be asked about Tyler Goodrham. Hasn't been called up since the first round of games last September when he got injured in camp.

Goalkeepers:

Tiernan Brooks (Notts County), Killian Cahill (Brighton & Hove Albion), Josh Keeley (Tottenham Hotspur)

Defenders:

James Abankwah (Udinese), Sam Curtis (Sheffield United), Anselmo Garcia MacNulty (PEC Zwolle), Bosun Lawal (Celtic), Alex Murphy (Newcastle United), Connor O’Brien (Accrington Stanley), Connor O’Riordan (Blackburn Rovers), Sean Roughan (Lincoln City)

Midfielders:

Baba Adeeko (Wigan Athletic), Matt Healy (Royal Francs Borains), Joe Hodge (Wolves), Andrew Moran (Brighton & Hove Albion), Conan Noonan (Shamrock Rovers), Rocco Vata (Celtic)

Forwards:

Sinclair Armstrong (QPR), Aidomo Emakhu (Millwall), Calum Kavanagh (Bradford City), Johnny Kenny (Shamrock Rovers, on loan from Celtic), Mark O’Mahony (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ollie O’Neill (Leyton Orient), Armstrong Oko-Flex (FC Zurich), Tony Springett (Norwich City).

Tayo Adaramola, Zak Gilsenan, Sean Grehan, Killian Phillips, and Andrew Wogan are ruled out of the trip with the latter due to sit the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

The more I think about it, the more I'm confused why Garcia Mac Nulty wasn't given a call up to the senior side.

• Played 31 times in the Eredivise last season, mostly starting.
    • Is attracting interest from Club Brugge, Betis, Southampton, Leicester and Leeds reportedly.
    • Versatile at CB and LB, where he played mostly last season.

And also the fact that he's Spanish born. Even though there's been no indication he could switch or would ever be good enough to play for Spain, surely there's always a risk that he gets a move this summer and hits the ground running could well lead to some interest from Spain quite possibly. But besides that, is he not a better option to call up for a couple of friendlies than a 33-year-old Emda Stevens.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

My 2 cents is JOS is playing to win a contract and maybe not doing whats best for the squad this summer. Now whether a permanent manager would have picked him we will never know but there is no logic in reality in picking Stevens and then mentioning McClean is kinda embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

https://extra.ie/2024/06/04/sport/soccernews/slaven-bilic-ireland-manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I hope Ireland lose these matches because I don't want O Shea to get the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭tigger123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

He's probably on great money in Saudi Arabia. Why would he go for Ireland for peanuts.

Doubt it would be Bilic. He's already coaching in Saudi and being linked with Besiktas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is without a doubt. 4 matches wasted as if had the job he could experiment and figure put his best team and formations. If he doesn't get the job then anything he learned is lost. As is he will take no risks with the prospect of a permanent deal if he beats Hungary.

Fairly farcical situation 7 months after previous manage left.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I hope we lose as I will never want to see an Irish football team lose but I can see the reasoning if it will force to FAI to make a ******* decision.

I'm more hoping it's two 0-0 draws where Hungary and Portugal give absolutely zero **** and we play absolutely dirt.

Win win that O'Shea hopefully doesn't get the job, puts more pressure on that bluffer Canham, and we also improve our FIFA rankings.

We actually moved up two places after March so two draws against Hungary and Portugal should see us move up some more places.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am hearing than Canham is one of the few in there that actually has a clue what he is at .

• Advertisement

Given his background you'd hope so but he's talked some absolute waffle during this manager search and has put his foot in his mouth on more than one occasion. Wouldn't have trust in him going forward being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ugh Duffy starting instead of giving O'Brien a start after a great season in Ligue 1. Very disappointing.

….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yeah, if building for the future, there really is no place on that starting 11 for Coleman, Duffy, Doherty or Brady. They need to be put out to graze now. Let the young lads in, make mistakes if necessary, but let them learn how to play alongside each other.
    Definite ‘games for my mates’ vibe of some of this squad by O’Shea, and I’d say that would continue if he gets the job full time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ive no major issue with Doherty or Brady as the obvious alternatives aren't that obvious. Coleman and Duffy starting in a 3 is daft when you've O'Brien available though.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭maximus15

O shea supposedly trying to get mcclean back too . Just not the answer sticking safe options . Def the game to bloods likes of o brien , scales and cannon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yep O'brien and Scales should be starting. Both had a great season and will be involved in European football next season for their clubs.

The line up tells me I don't won't JOS on a permanent basis.

We already know, but what a cock up the manager appointment has been by the lads in the FAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Fairly tedious stuff so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

33 mins gone now and its been brutal stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭murtyd17

Real end of season feel to this - Ireland giving the ball away too often

Idah is definitely in form at least

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭murtyd17

Idah!

Great cross, probably the first one all night and Bang! IDAH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Harmless goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

No way you get that space in a competitive game

Bloody terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,256 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

If we conceded a goal like that, I'd be horrified. Nobody picked up Smallbone and Idah was completely free for the header. Amateurish. It's good from our perspective, but jeez.

And our lead lasted all of what, 3 minutes.

Straight back to brutal stuff after we scored. Then they score

Duffy asleep at the back

Shocking excuse for defending. This game has been terrible from an Irish point of view so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

If it is true about McClean then makes you think he's setting up for the long haul in at least the next Nations League and possibly WC qualification. Otherwise, he has zero business in tempting a L2 player out of retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

I was going to say. Asleep at the wheel,but I thought better of it ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭kksaints

Boring match but I'm pleased that Smallbone and Idah were involved in the goal as both were in good form for the clubs and in Smallbone case has done very little so far in his Irish career.

Scales and O'brien are coming on for Doherty and Duffy. Correct decision to take off Duffy, he was woeful in the 1st half.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement