Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thought Parrott looked a bit overweight to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Poor first half, much better in the second. Other than Hourihane who looked badly off the boil, everyone was decent. Duffy looked a changed player now given the chance of playing it long and other than one minor error at the end, didn't put a foot wrong. Goalkeepers were both fantastic, Kenny will have some headache to decide between Kelleher, Randolph and Bazunu. Knight was probably the pick of the attacking players, worked really hard and created a few half chances.

Hopefully Kenny has learned something from this game. Playing it direct shouldn't have a stigma about it, our best bits of play often happened with a long ball. With any luck, he adopts a more pragmatic approach in future games, especially if we're playing decent opposition like Serbia or Portugal.

Poor first half, much better in the second. Other than Hourihane who looked badly off the boil, everyone was decent. Duffy looked a changed player now given the chance of playing it long and other than one minor error at the end, didn't put a foot wrong. Goalkeepers were both fantastic, Kenny will have some headache to decide between Kelleher, Randolph and Bazunu. Knight was probably the pick of the attacking players, worked really hard and created a few half chances.

Hopefully Kenny has learned something from this game. Playing it direct shouldn't have a stigma about it, our best bits of play often happened with a long ball. With any luck, he adopts a more pragmatic approach in future games, especially if we're playing decent opposition like Serbia or Portugal.

Thought Randolph called it a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭athlone99

On your last point, i dont really remember any hopeless long balls, they seemed to have worked on long passes into the channels and Idah made some good runs. I think thats the formation we are gonna see against stronger teams with 4-2-3-1 against so called weaker teams

lawred2 wrote: »
    He's definitely not overweight. You forget he's been on the scene since he was a skinny 17 year old kid. Only natural he's filled out a bit and maybe even gained an inch or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He's definitely not overweight. You forget he's been on the scene since he was a skinny 17 year old kid. Only natural he's filled out a bit and maybe even gained an inch or two.

Yeah that overweight comment on Parrott surprised me. As it looked to me that he just filled out with muscle. Whatever S&C he is doing it has worked. Looks hard to knock him off the ball now.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sugarman wrote: »
    Nah that was a rumour, just injured. Sure he was called up for this camp.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does end up retiring soon, like once these qualifiers are over. After that we've only got Nation's League games until March 2023 where he'll be turning 36 and contract expiring. I know goalkeepers can go until they're nearly 40 but his hip has been an issue for awhile now and nearly ruined his transfer to West Ham.

Yeah that overweight comment on Parrott surprised me. As it looked to me that he just filled out with muscle. Whatever S&C he is doing it has worked. Looks hard to knock him off the ball now.

Might be hard to knock him off the ball but he didn't strike me as particularly mobile either. But then there could be load of reasons for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Five Eighth

Satisfactory performance tonight with both keepers playing well. Duffy looked like he had regained some confidence. Looks like SK favours wing backs and, in fairness, it seems solid enough. Would a full strength side look something like this?:

Kelleher

Egan Duffy O Shea

O Doherty Stevens

Coleman Cullen Knight

Connolly Parrott Robinson

• Advertisement

Satisfactory performance tonight with both keepers playing well. Duffy looked like he had regained some confidence. Looks like SK favours wing backs and, in fairness, it seems solid enough. Would a full strength side look something like this?:

Kelleher

Egan Duffy O Shea

O Doherty Stevens

Coleman Cullen Knight

Is that 12 players there? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Kelleher

Egan Duffy O Shea

O Doherty Stevens

Coleman Cullen Knight

Well, if we are going to play a 12 man team id say Hourihane needs to be one of them as he may as well not be there!

But remove Doherty as the extra man and Randolph back in go, and that would be my team also

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Five Eighth

Is that 12 players there? :)
    Yeah, must have carried away. Guess at 19, could leave Parrott out of the starting line-at this stage.

Does Jason Knight have what it takes to play at the top level?

Leeds often linked with him, and Bielsa has taken a good few players who were dismissed as Championship level, Cooper, Alioski, Bamford, Harrison, Ayling, Dallas, Phillips, Klich and coached them into being very comfortably mid EPL level. Some have pushed their way into international sides. It would be great for us if he thought Knight could cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

It's a lot quieter in here after a good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Raoul wrote: »

Don't worry. They have all been noted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Was it really that good a performance?
    Compared to other Kenny games sure.

Hungary had the majority of possession and the majority of chances, if not for some good saves we would have lost.....it's a fairly low bar.

I can't see Hungary ripping up any trees at the euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Looking at remaining fixtures for the year, realistically the expectations are likely to be:

Portugal (a) Loss
    Azerbaijan (h) Win
    Serbia (h) Win/Draw
    Azerbaijan (a) Win
    Qatar (h) Win
    Portugal (h) Loss/draw
    Luxembourg (a) Win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Looking at remaining fixtures for the year, realistically the expectations are likely to be:

Portugal (a) Loss
    Azerbaijan (h) Win
    Serbia (h) Win/Draw
    Azerbaijan (a) Win
    Qatar (h) Win
    Portugal (h) Loss/draw
    Luxembourg (a) Win
    Wow that's optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

It's taken Kenny awhile but he's finally turned a corner you can see it in the way they played lot more controlled procession and a few half chances- work in progress during a transitional period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Portugal (a) Loss
    Azerbaijan (h) Win
    Serbia (h) Win/Draw
    Azerbaijan (a) Win
    Qatar (h) Win
    Portugal (h) Loss/draw
    Luxembourg (a) Win

I'll see that and raise you a:

Portugal (a) Loss
    Azerbaijan (h) Win
    Serbia (h) Draw/loss
    Azerbaijan (a) Draw/win
    Qatar (h) Win
    Portugal (h) Loss
    Luxembourg (a) Win/draw

I'd find that to be acceptable, as long as there are signs of progression along the way.

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »

Hungary had the majority of possession and the majority of chances, if not for some good saves we would have lost.....it's a fairly low bar.

Of course it was a good performance. Look at the age profile of the team. All these players getting lots of experience is a massive benefit to us.

If Egan heads the ball an inch lower we could have won. If Ogbenne finishes his chance, we could have won.

The difference between this game and the previous regimes is that we have young players coming through showing talent. There is a defined style of play. We are creating some chances. You can see things that have been worked on on the training ground. Actual attacking play that looks like it was practiced. There were definitely set piece routines too. Not a lot of them came off due to poor delivery but it is good to see that they are well drilled.

I loved the fact that there were moments of the game where I was thinking "that was some great play there".

So like every other away Ireland game for the last 20 years then......

We did create some chances ourselves and people say SK supporters make excuses for him and now we have a decent draw away from home and it gets downgraded. Rose tinted glasses and all that....

Being realistic taking the game on its merits, away to a team heading to the Euros it was good performance. In the long run very hard to know if it was a good performance or not, neither team wanted to injure each other, it was played at about 85% tempo/commitment in my opinion. Many positives from it for me, one or two issues which will hopefully be sorted.

Biggest thing for SK as someone else mentioned will be players needed to move clubs to ensure they get game time, if that doesnt happen there isnt a lot any manager can do. If they do get moves id be more optimistic.

I'm gonna say 2 losses, 2 wins and 2 draws from the last 6 games, hopefully finish 3rd and build for the Euros qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

That team last night would of beaten Luxembourg -progress

Portugal (a) Loss
    Azerbaijan (h) Win
    Serbia (h) Win/Draw
    Azerbaijan (a) Win
    Qatar (h) Win
    Portugal (h) Loss/draw
    Luxembourg (a) Win

Home game against Serbia is being optimistic. We've three games that week and they've only the two. We'll be chasing shadows against Portugal and Azerbaijan will make us work hard for a result. A draw is going to be a good result for us at home to Serbia in September.

Also Azerbaijan is going to be tricky. They score first and they'll go ultra defensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

Portugal (a) Loss
    Azerbaijan (h) Win
    Serbia (h) Win/Draw
    Azerbaijan (a) Win
    Qatar (h) Win
    Portugal (h) Loss/draw
    Luxembourg (a) Win

We would take that.

I was relatively happy with last nights performance. I know some will say it wasn't anything too great but with the players at our disposal it was decent and some good signs there. I am hoping to God now Stephen Kenny is starting to get to grips with the senior role and is slowly starting to turn the corner. We do still need to add more goals to the team and he will need some wins over the forthcoming fixtures. The female analyst summed it up well when she said as senior international team manager you need to box clever and need to pick up some results to buy you the time to implement the changes you want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I have been a big critic of Stephen Kenny recently but that was a good result and a solid performance. Definitely green shoots and hopefully can be a catalyst for better things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

True, hungary are an extremely average team but still created the most chances, think we only had one shot on target the whole game.

Having said that there seemed to be a good balance to team, we looked better organised and there looked to be a clear strategy going forward. Given what we've seen so far under Kenny this was definitely one of the better performances.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Does Jason Knight have what it takes to play at the top level?

Leeds often linked with him, and Bielsa has taken a good few players who were dismissed as Championship level, Cooper, Alioski, Bamford, Harrison, Ayling, Dallas, Phillips, Klich and coached them into being very comfortably mid EPL level. Some have pushed their way into international sides. It would be great for us if he thought Knight could cut it.

This is the one transfer I'm hoping happens during the summer. Leeds and Biesla would be the perfect fit for Knight. Has shown he can play on the right or in the centre, runs all day, and presses hard. Really needs to get a move somewhere where he can work with an experienced coach who'll make him into a better player.

Even if it weren't to work out for him and he ended up back in the championship in three years time he'd still only be 23 and would end up with a club in the top half of the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We still looked most likely to score from a set piece.

pjohnson wrote: »

Idahs chance and Ogbenes 2 at the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And Hungary looked most likely to score

And Hungary looked most likely to score

They had 3 chances and our keepers made 3 great saves. We had 3 good chances that we missed/blocked and hit the cross bar. While ours dont count as shots on target we had the same amount of chances to score.

Why do people say this as almost negative?

Dundalk have won league titles literally by being extremely proficient at set pieces. They relied heavily on having good set piece takers and getting them to the right people. Brian Gartland, CB for Dundalk has scored 30 goals in 178 appearances. Back in 2013/2014, Darren Meenan for Dundalk had a ridiculous amount of assists from corners and frees. This article from 2013 Meenan assists.

This isn't just by pure chance. It is coordinated. Also note, Anthony Barry is touted as a "set piece king". Set piece king. This is clearly an area they are trying to get goals from.

Now, the next step to build on all of this is unfortunately out of hands Irish management ...that being a number of players need to find themselves new clubs over the summer be it on loan or permanently.

Failure to do so, will probably result in a number of familiar faces back in the starting XI come September. ie Hendrick, Hourihane, Randolph etc.. which would be disappointing to see.
    Last season was about the worst club season I can ever remember our lads having with injuries, not being favoured by managers, dropped for poor form, etc. It's really no surprise that the slump of form we've had at international level has coincided with a bad year at club level.

As you say, the most important thing is that the lads get themselves fit for the new season and find themselves clubs where they are going to be starting games. We've quite a few players (both junior and senior) who are with decent teams who really need to be starting games at club level if they are to make the squad.

I suspect 2021-2022 is going to be a lot more competitive for squad places. As of right now, no one has sustained a fresh long term injury and even those who are long term injured should be back and ready to get a full pre-season under their belts (Smallbone, Byrne, O'Dowda, Nathan Collins, etc.). For the September internationals, it's conceivable Kenny may have something that's close to a full panel available (he's called up over 50+ players since being in charge).

My guess is that out of that cohort, there'll be enough players starting games that if you're not playing regular, then you'll struggle to make the squad, let alone get minutes.

I am pleased Kenny/Ireland looked more practical in the last game bit more direct at times. Looked more of threat at set pieces. As another poster said it looked as if things good bits of play could happen or might happen. Which was good to see.

Another plus point was that Kenny did not look like he was going to burst into tears in an interview for a change. And he could smile a bit. So that was good as well.

I know Hungary are no goal machines. They qualified for the Euros on the pack of two late goals against iceland. One of which was from their star flair player Dominik Szoboszlai in injury time.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/12/euro-2020-playoffs-georgia-north-macedonia-hungary-iceland

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54921127

Szoboszlai misses the Euros through injury though.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210601-hungary-star-szoboszlai-misses-euro-2020-with-injury

So it is important to put last night's 0-0 friendly in some perspective. Hungary are one of the poorest sides at the Euros (now missing their star player) and were fairly fortunate to qualify. Nice route in the playoffs - Bulgaria in the SF they beat 3-1 (who were know are poor Ireland played them recently 0-0) and there was a very late turnaround against Iceland in the Final play off as I said above.

Hungary are workmanlike will try and frustrate rather than create. And then hit on the counter. Particularly given the difficult group they are in with France, Portugal and Germany.

However, in saying that it was nice to see the Irish team stop doing constant side to side backways stuff at a slow pace. For the sake of it.
    Last night at least we saw some real threat from set pieces, a bit of directness now and again. A bit of urgency as well.

One fella who played well was McClean who I would of being heavily critical of in the past. But he actually put in a few dangerous crosses and looked a threat. It shocked me to be honest an end product!

If Ireland could get to a workmanlike level looking organised similar to Hungary I would take that. I don't think Ireland has the pace to play on the counter like they will though. So Ireland's best way is to focus on set pieces. It is just common sense play to a team's strengths. But, it irks me that this approach was not taken at the start of Kenny's reign. Idealism and identity guff got in the way - confused the players. Let's call a spade a spade.

If Ireland look hard to beat, and look an occasional threat instead of being easy to defend against. I assume most Irish fans would be pleased with that. Given the players at Ireland's disposal.

In a way I am pleased Portugal is Ireland's next game as it gives the Irish team and Kenny a free shot. Zero expectations.
    Even if Ireland lose 5-0 people will say it was Portugal. Any more than 5-0 you would say poor. A 2-0 or 3-0 loss would be an decent result and anything better would be fantastic. It is chance to see how defensively solid Ireland are against a real top tier team. A true litmus test of tactical organisation and tactical awareness etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Really puzzling as to why Horgan was in and out of a team that finished bottom of the Championship when you saw his displays for Ireland over the past 2 games. He's a quality player, and not just saying that as a biased Dundalk fan. Was he being played in the wrong position at Wycombe or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Really puzzling as to why Horgan was in and out of a team that finished bottom of the Championship when you saw his displays for Ireland over the past 2 games. He's a quality player, and not just saying that as a biased Dundalk fan. Was he being played in the wrong position at Wycombe or something?

Must be a reason he's not starting for Ireland based on the last year of games, looks a great impact sub but maybe doesn't have the engine for a full game at this level?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

True, hungary are an extremely average team but still created the most chances, think we only had one shot on target the whole game.

Having said that there seemed to be a good balance to team, we looked better organised and there looked to be a clear strategy going forward. Given what we've seen so far under Kenny this was definitely one of the better performances.

But we're supposed to be a minnow now, so isn't a draw away to an extremely average team good?

But we're supposed to be a minnow now, so isn't a draw away to an extremely average team good?

Maybe slightly better than a 'par' I would say both teams are of a similar standard on paper. But Ireland were away and playing against a crowd as well.
    I would not class Ireland as a minnow just an extremely average team. That sort of tier 3 type team. Ones who would struggle to make up the 50 or so in the mix for the Euros.

Minnows imo are San Marino, Andora , Lichtenstein etc

Although it was about a 'par' and predictable enough result wise last night. I was pleased with the manner and attitude a bit of urgency shown. It was not insipid and slow like many of the other performances under Kenny's reign so far.

• Advertisement

It probably helps he knows what Kenny wants and expects from their time at Dundalk together. I dont think its any coincidence that the players hes worked with previously are the ones pulling up their socks and stepping up for him on the field.

I saw a few in the know about Kenny describing him as a bit odd in his ways/manner and can take a bit of getting used to

https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/stephen-kenny-communication-pressure-dan-mcdonnell-1173560

An 'acquired taste' as it says in the article above. So hopefully it is just a bedding in period needed for the lads who have not worked under him before.

It probably helps he knows what Kenny wants and expects from their time at Dundalk together. I dont think its any coincidence that the players hes worked with previously are the ones pulling up their socks and stepping up for him on the field.
    There was a podcast with Jack Byrne last month where he was asked questions about the Irish squad (who's thickest, smartest, moaner, worst dressed, etc.). One of the questions was who's Kenny's pet, Byrne's response was Horgan.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYWNhc3QuY29tL3B1bGxpbmctZmF2b3Vycw/episode/ZWM4NjliMmYtMWE4MC00NmJiLWExZjktOWRiOTU4ODE3ZDBl?hl=en-GB&ved=2ahUKEwjF_4qT3IrxAhUh7eAKHdiyDdQQjrkEegQIBhAI&ep=6

The other answers in case anyone is interested

Thickest - Idah
    Smartest - No one
    Moaner - McClean
    Worst dressed - Duffy

Another plus point was that Kenny did not look like he was going to burst into tears in an interview for a change. And he could smile a bit. So that was good as well.
    Without a doubt you will see Kenny again looking like he is going to burst into tears. As a Dundalk fan I have watched him being interviewed a lot. It is hard to get used to. If you are a Kenny fan, then you can sometimes nearly be in tears with him as it just means so much to him and that is clear. If you don't like him, you will criticise him for it and show it as a sign of weakness.

I don't have a problem with his interviews for Ireland so far. I am used to the pauses. I think he has been really honest and has put himself out there in the interviews. He doesn't hide behind any corporate speak BS or try to be funny/smarmy/smart like MON and Mick.

There is a lot to like about him and I think the pauses and the potential tears can sometimes lead people to believe he doesn't get his point across. He condemned the Hungary team and the support. Last night, he was asked about the two goalkeepers and one of the first things he says is about how great Mark Travers is. That's great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Looks like young Caoimhin will be getting the new Ferrari.....cha ching.

https://twitter.com/AnfieldWatch/status/1402875856150700032?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

athlone99 wrote: »
    They had 3 chances and our keepers made 3 great saves. We had 3 good chances that we missed/blocked and hit the cross bar. While ours dont count as shots on target we had the same amount of chances to score.

That is some stretching optimism. We’d 3 shots off target/blocked, but if they were on target we might have scored.

We looked less rubbish than the previous 12 games, vs a very poor Hungary side shorn of their best player Szoboszlai, and who’ll be the Euros whipping boys. New record of 13 games, 1 win, 6 draws and 6 losses. And still yet to play a top tier country.

Fandymo wrote: »
    That is some stretching optimism. We’d 3 shots off target/blocked, but if they were on target we might have scored.

We looked less rubbish than the previous 12 games, vs a very poor Hungary side shorn of their best player Szoboszlai, and who’ll be the Euros whipping boys. New record of 13 games, 1 win, 6 draws and 6 losses. And still yet to play a top tier country.

Are you sure your an Ireland Fan?

3 great moves that were not seen from other managers that were stopped with last ditch tackles. That game was reason for optimism with young players leading the way and had me thinking we may have a bright future, but your right we are utterly crap, i think i'll start following the cricket team or the hockey team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The Hungary game was definitely an improvement. I think Kenny has finally got the message that we are simply incapable of playing in out from the back. Our play was more mixed with good balls down the line, crosses into the box, more focus on set pieces all while also trying to keep the ball as much as we can and pass it around to make space. It was the perfect mix in my opinion and I'm glad Kenny has given the players the freedom to try and knock it long sometimes. Duffy looked way more comfortable with this style of play.

We are obviously still lacking quality players, we created little and didn't really look like winning the match but the improvements were definitely there to see. Hopefully it continues.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    The Hungary game was definitely an improvement. I think Kenny has finally got the message that we are simply incapable of playing in out from the back. Our play was more mixed with good balls down the line, crosses into the box, more focus on set pieces all while also trying to keep the ball as much as we can and pass it around to make space. It was the perfect mix in my opinion and I'm glad Kenny has given the players the freedom to try and knock it long sometimes. Duffy looked way more comfortable with this style of play.

We are obviously still lacking quality players, we created little and didn't really look like winning the match but the improvements were definitely there to see. Hopefully it continues.

The reason for the good balls down the line is because we were playing it around at the back. It actually entices the opposition up to pressure you, creating space in behind for the pacier players to run in to. It's something we haven't done before. It used to solely be long balls. If you are 1 dimensional then it is very hard to create space.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The reason for the good balls down the line is because we were playing it around at the back. It actually entices the opposition up to pressure you, creating space in behind for the pacier players to run in to. It's something we haven't done before. It used to solely be long balls. If you are 1 dimensional then it is very hard to create space.

I agree completely. We weren't playing these balls previously though, we were passing it left and right and going nowhere. It looks like Kenny has finally realised that we need to mix it up a bit. We were far too easy to play against. I'm hoping we stick to it now though and Kenny doesn't revert back to wanting us to play short passing football all the time.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    We weren't playing these balls previously though, we were passing it left and right and going nowhere. It looks like Kenny has finally realised that we need to mix it up a bit. We were far too easy to play against. I'm hoping we stick to it now though and Kenny doesn't revert back to wanting us to play short passing football all the time.

Agree 100% with this very surprised more people are not saying it. Maybe it because some people want to buy into the myth that Ireland can be a 'cultured' team?. A new 'identity' and so on?

And maybe some do not want to admit that Trap, Mick, and MON had the right methods based on the players they had? It got results and Ireland were hard to beat for the most part.

But for whatever reason the players did not implement them properly by the end of those managers tenures. They just went launching it all over the place. It seemed to me the problem had little to do with the type of footballing philosophy but a lack of footballing intelligence and players with a lack of confidence in themselves.

Play to a teams strengths based on players available simple as that. Kenny mentioned in one interview I saw, that he does not know why it took so long to get the one win after so many games. He actually said something like that I am not making it up.

But sure you could have told him that after three/four games in your post above. It is spot on. Yet this is the fella that is paid 540k and is paid to make a team play and get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

athlone99 wrote: »
    Are you sure your an Ireland Fan?

3 great moves that were not seen from other managers that were stopped with last ditch tackles. That game was reason for optimism with young players leading the way and had me thinking we may have a bright future, but your right we are utterly crap, i think i'll start following the cricket team or the hockey team.

I want the team to win and qualify for tournaments. That’s why it exists.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement