Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

They have 2 players that started the game playing for CL clubs ffs. You'd swear they were Barcelona. One for Ajax and one for Sevilla. Both likely to be knocked out in the group stages. Their main striker is a Championship player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Only Ajax and Sevilla. haha. They are unreal teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

He called him up for the games vs Andorra and Hungary. I don't think the team selection vs Azerbaijan was random so I don't know where you're pulling that from.

In 3 seasons he's played 578 minutes for Madrid, the equivalent of 4.5 full games.

Yeah, it's not like Mick gave first caps to Parrott etc. And has a track record of bringing through young players after Jack left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

And how did his time in Germany go, seems you may be glossing over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Wheres the proof from Micks reign or MON or Trap that they would give younger players a shot? All those managers were primarily results focused and didn't give a toss about blooding in young players. Which is grand until you end up with a squad that's all in their late 20s and into their 30s and are on the wane which is what's happened to us and now Kenny has to try freshen up the squad with players with no international experience some of whom can't get a game at their club and try get results at the same time to keep fickle fans happy. It's a near impossible ask.

I've read through the whole thread and there's a group of lads that have been on Kennys back since day one and won't be happy till he's been hounded out of the job. Personally I don't care if he gets the sack. Doesn't matter to me - but he seems like a decent man that genuinely wants to do well so I'm willing to give him some time. If it ends up he's not good enough then so be it but give him a bit of leeway to try make it work

It really sounds like the senior players are fed up and don't respect Kenny. McAteer and his like knew it all along.

"We've always believed in what Stephen is trying to do. We get coached brilliantly with Anthony Barry and Keith Andrews. All the back room staff, we've no complaints at all. The game plans they set us up with are really good. If you saw what they were doing with us on the training pitch then people would really understand where we're trying to go. ou could see against Portugal and you saw again tonight that we can play against some of these top nations and not look out of place. We'll keep doing the right things." - Matt Doherty

"That's what you need [great support] - we all fully back him. We don't listen to outside stuff. I think he's been brilliant. The players he's bringing through are giving us energy in the team - Andrew tonight was unbelievable. These players are all going to gain from these experience of playing against top nations and that's good for our country. I know we want results now and we want to get to a World Cup and win games. But look at the crop of players we've got coming through. Give them a bit of time. I'm very excited about the future of Ireland." - Shane Duffy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Even Duffy's comments the other day about the Azerbaijan result being on them as players, or McCleans comments yesterday about senior players:

"When I was a young player coming through, that was a squad of men. Maybe us senior players, we've failed. Maybe we haven't done as good of a job as those senior players did for us..."

These lads are fully behind Kenny. Nobody can question that IMO, and if McAteer still thinks that and IMO the only reason you had him out banging that drum was because he felt Mick should have been kept on.

The International Team never had that stupid looking 3 on their jerseys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The average age last night was 25.5 its not like Kenny is sending out a group of teenagers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Serbia are decent but let's not get ahead of ourselves, they didn't even qualify for the euros.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

A-fcuking-men to that. You'd swear Kenny was dropping all these senior players to blood the new crop. He's playing the only players available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He's even doing it right now at Cardiff, Bagan and McGuinness are under-21 players who are playing first team football.

The narrative being pushed is that Kenny is blooding all these young players as it's his "project". Who has he omitted? What older players has he dropped/not picked?? He's playing the players available at the moment. The only ones happy to keep the national team at a low ebb are the "supporters" who want the man who brought us here to have an unlimited contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The evidence suggests??? So he didn't bring through and give first caps to Keane? Duff? Finnan? Breen? Harte? Kilbane? Holland? Carsley? Kinsella? Dunne? Morrison? J O'Shea? Given? Miller? and many, many others. Yeah, that suggests he's very reluctant to try new players. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bring back the gaffer and get him a Ouija board to communicate with Bobby Robson.

The second coming.

I quoted someone going on like he was Ronaldo for Real. He's unwanted there.

• Advertisement

This has to be a pi55 take. When has a player without a club ever gotten a game for Ireland? Bar Gary Breen in WC2002, who had plenty of offers, but decided to concentrate on the WC before signing for anyone?? No one wants Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Where’s the proof?

So mick didn’t blood the likes of Keane? Duff? Finnan? Breen? Harte? Kilbane? Holland? Carsley? Kinsella? Dunne? Morrison? J O'Shea? Given? Miller? and many, many others.

fair enough so!

Not turning this into a mick v Stephen argument but Kenny isn’t exactly doing anything revolutionary here that others were incapable of doing like what’s being claimed. He’s picking the best players available to him, that’s it.

Absolutely give him leeway, how much? How long? That’s up to each individual but let’s not rewrite history here to suit a narrative and let’s be balanced about what’s happening not cheerleading the barely acceptable and dismissing the unacceptable like what’s been going on.

case in post being the commentary last night on rte cheerleading a 1-1 draw at home against Serbia like it was the Holland game in the old lansdowne all over again and calls to give him a new contract straight away a week ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Personally i think Kenny is getting an easy ride from some fan because he came from LOI ,

If this was another manger with history at bigger clubs everyone would be calling for him to be sacked,

Its like fans feel sorry for him and want him so think he should keep the job,

He has been out of his depth form day one again one his backroom staff started walking away it showed exactly what you needed to know ,

Kenny called up Kieran O'Hara when he didn't have a club. Trapattoni's call-up of Paul Green is another. There probably are a few more examples out there.

Good teams have not qualified for major tournaments before. Serbia were in a group with Portugal and Ukraine, and just three points off the former (who were the current holders you know).

• Advertisement

Paul Green was again, between clubs, season ended and he left Derby, he wasn't unwanted. He signed for Leeds after the Euro 2012 tournament. O'Hara had left United at the end of the season and was a free agent for the summer, but was negotiating with Burton and signed with them a few days after then international break, who he had spent the previous season on loan.

Again, nothing like Brady, who has been a free agent since 1st July and no one wants.

We are absolutely atrocious.

Players and manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think there is some truth in this and it makes me think (on a different level) of Ole at United. Should never of had the job, got it because the owners didn’t have a clue what to do so (similar to FAI making a mess of things) set really low expectations “make players happy again” and it sort of worked out in a way. For all the complaints United fans make about Ole being under qualified and out of his depth, he’s really steadied the ship relative to the under performing mish mash mess it was changing dramatically with each managers.

I think those lambasting Kenny are as unrealistic of the stage of Irish football as those being overly lavishing praise with Kenny. The truth for me is somewhere in the middle. I don’t think Ireland should be losing to Luxembourg and struggling to beat Azerbaijan with the players available, the quality isn’t that bad. But I don’t think getting a Manager in who may have us pushing for qualification, just to have us pushing for qualification is a better alternative, especially if it’s O neill and Trapp football. And better Squads then now were only able to push for qualification playing that putrid football that I never hope to see again.

So for me, I’m actually ok with giving Kenny this and even yeh Euros if it even helped build an Irish squad that can play a bit of football. I’d be looking at Iceland and N Ireland as proof you can have nobody managers, relatively unknown squads but punch above your weight.

It was great watching the fans get so excited about an Irish team trying to claw its way into a game they were losing. It wasn’t the same as when we did it under Trapp and O neill. Even my kids sat down to watch the game with me (they never usually do) because I found myself really rooting for Ireland and wanting to watch the whole game. It’s been a long time since I’ve really enjoyed Irish games , like I said yesterday , I have this perverse sense that Im enjoying watching ireland now then when they qualified for the last 2 tournaments.

Kenny may end up being the manager we need to reset our expectations and to allow some young Irish players to grow into the team. When Kenny is taking all the heat, takes pressure off players. Also wouldn’t it be so much more satisfying to see an Irish team be built from ground up by an Irish man, actually playing good quality football. Even with our most talented squad in the 90s , we didn’t exactly play samba football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Yeah I'm gonna need you to point out the posts that are calling for an unlimited contract for Stephen Kenny. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Great post.

I have also found that these Irish games have been far more entertaining at least than the previous campaigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Heard a decent rendition of "They always cheat, they always lie, something Delaney and the FAI", on the way to the Dart afterwards.

Supporters were in good spirits.

I love the backroom staff walking gets referenced every now and then. Duff is with Shels U17s I believe, and his replacement went on to become a champions league winning coach a few months later. Highly rated that teams have approached him to become their senior manager but wanted to remain at Chelsea to work closer with Tuchel for awhile, he's still only 35. Duff walking walking was the best thing that ever happened to Stephen Kenny IMO.

Kelly walking away was a nothing moment. He was upset that his role within the management team was reduced to goal keeping coach as he had more input under Mick. We replaced him with Dean Kiely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Nothing when have Irish players ever come out post match and attacked the manger ? What do you expect them to say ,

Harry Kane says he loves Spurs and decided to stay ,

Ronaldo said it was his dream to go back t United -His agent offered him to PSG,Madrid, & even Barcelona first,

Moral is players say what they think you want them to say ,

Probably the first time in quite sometime that I'm actually looking forward to next month's international games. Before I'd usually be thinking well at least that's that for another two months.

But it's not a manager at a big club is it?.

It's a manager at a club which was big twenty years ago but not due to anything long term, and now they've found their level and are hitting par for the course.

And some people are realistic enough to see for what it is.

We're a tiny country, with no viable domestic league and a nation of "supporters" who cheerlead English clubs(and then cheer against England 🙄). Since we were top dogs the amount of countries has increased(USSR, Yugoslavia Czechslovakia etc) and all were still splitting to popilationlevels far above ours.

We have no strikers scoring at club level, and that's translating to the national team, we are exactly where we were threatening to go 10 years ago( we mugged so many teams such as Georgia, Khazakstan etc with 1 goal wins).

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

While many say it's a results business, some people seem to have rose tinted glasses. Under our last 3 managers, in our last 25 (since Nov 2017) competitive games (Euros, WC & NL) we have won a total of 3 games. Those wins all came under McCarthy, 2 vs Gilbralter & 1 home vs Georgia. So in fact, we've been heading down this road for a long time.

I think it's obvious a lot of people had the knives out for Kenny from day 1. The only explanation for this is the fact he's come from the LOI. Kenny being Ireland manager is forcing some Irish fans to face a very uncomfortable truth. That's while we may blame Delaney & the FAI for the demise of the game here, that in fact, football fans here had a significant role to play in this too. That instead of the money that football fans spend on the premier league / EFL, that if that money had stayed in Ireland and help support a fully professional league here, we would be in a much stronger position. It's understandable why this happened, the English game has colonised football fans here since the 70s, and most fans get a life long affination with an English side long before they even hear of the LOI, but there is no argument that stands up where, if the LOI came first, we would not be in a better position. And like most things in life nowadays, rather than recognise this issue, a lot of fans double down on their position and stay the standard isn't good enough, which means SK is out of his depth.

But I think the majority of football fans, even those with no affiliation with LOI, want to see SK succeed and would love to see young Irish players coming through the international setup on a more regular basis.

He's definitely getting an easy ride, but unless he told porkies to us during the week, he was brought in by the board with a deliberate plan to have us playing in a more continental style. Some leeway should be given.

I definitely buy into the idea that the team needed to adopt a more continental approach. Where Kenny has gone wrong, and especially in the early part of his reign was that he went too hard, too soon towards a continental style. The ability of this panel of players on the ball was nowhere near up to the job of being competitive to try and exclusively play out from the back. The one thing I am encouraged by from Kenny is that he has at least learned from his mistakes. Even yesterday, it was clear there was progression. Bazunu's long kicking/passing (whatever you want to call it) out to Doherty/McClean was something we saw more of than ever, and was actually quite effective in taking the pressure off the defenders.

The style is also more continental than what it was. If you compare the Serbia game against a similar result against a similarly better team like the Switzerland game back in 2019, we have had slightly more possession, we made slightly more passes. What's most improved was our passing accuracy, it's gone up a good 10% from 75% to 85%.

Those are some promising signs and I want to see Kenny succeed.

Things I don't agree with.

• He should be given a 2024 contract now. Silly to play our hand now, let's just wait until the end of the year.
    • He is somehow responsible for "developing" players. He's not. Omobamidele made his debut last night and was excellent. Kenny didn't develop him. It's natural ability firstly, then followed by progressive Norwich City coaching. Kenny will have helped for sure, but he's come into this team virtually ready made.
    • Kenny and only Kenny can save Irish football - there will always be other managers.
    • It's either Kenny or Lennon/Big Sam, see above
    • It's either Kenny's way or long ball. It's not a binary decision, we can mix things up as we've recently been doing more recently.
    • He has discovered all this new talent. Some older players are declining, dropping down divisions, getting injured. Some younger players are improving, going up divisions, showing form. This is mostly natural ebb and flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Thankfully nobody has said any of the above is true. The most emotive and ridiculous comments are coming from anti Kenny posters as far as I can tell.

Most if not all pro Kenny posters are actually pro kennys approach/philosophy rather than the man himself per se.

I think to fully commit to this new approach by default we have to commit to Kenny for a decent length of time and his contract is actually the perfect length imo. Fair play to the FAI, they've done something right for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I agree with most of this but hate when anyone blames Irish football fans for supporting a PL team for the state of Irish football.

If the PL disappeared tomorrow it doesn’t mean that all those Irish fans would suddenly look to go to local matches.

If there was a massive increase in matchgoers it doesn’t automatically mean that the extra money will go to player development.

Theres also a huge infrastructure problem for a lot of clubs who need a total overhaul in facilities.

Rectifying all of the above should be within the FAIs remit. They should be looking to make the league as attractive to Irish people as possible. Make it an occasion, a day out, a nice evening with the family. Secure funding to update the stadia so that it’s somewhere that people would like to bring their kids. Tie club season tickets into national team ticket discounts or priority.

Its not one or the other - it’s completely possible to be a supporter of 2 different clubs. Blaming people for liking the PL is essentially abdication of responsibility by the FAI.

• Advertisement

Liverpool without Alisson for the game against Leeds. Well technically they can still pick him, but would receive some form of punishment for picking any of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I started going back to Shelbourne games this year, have a season ticket and bring one of my sons to the games. I grew up supporting them and United from late 80s, early 90s. I don’t see why you can’t do both.

I agree with your sentiments, what has Irish football done to entice more home fans? Whinging about it and pointing fingers at fans who find the EPL product more entertaining is not addressing the problem. Think about how much bigger the EPL has gotten by rebranding From division 1 to EPL. They should be trying to do that on a lower level.

I remember they had the cheerleaders and fireworks as teams walked out. A lot of that didn’t remain but they tried out different things and have really marketed so well. Characters like Cantona and Keane and the spice boys pool team (stupid looking suits for that FA cup final) added drama and interest. I’m not suggesting they go all WWE and start having players trash talk but they need to try out different things to get people to return.

At the last shelbourne game I was chatting with the guy and mother running the chippy stand. He was hilarious and had loads of interesting stories. That alone would have me going back to games. Making it about community and all time fun experience (play area for kids?!) would potentially attract new fans.

Shels fans seem to like singing a Rick Ashley song, that’s a bit of a laugh especially as I don’t think they change any words so it makes no sense to me! . More of that should happen. Even give a load of then drums like Dortmund and have them behind the goals chanting for entire game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The enthusiastic and vocal support of the team will have been music to the ears of fai suits. But should the atmosphere turn sour, they'll toss Kenny under the bus - and replace him with the biggest marquee name they can reasonably afford - faster than you can say "long term plan".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If you don't have someone to stick it in the net, you can't win games, its simple. There isn't a resemblance of a striker in that squad.

Maybe another coach would extract more solid performances but ultimately I still think we would fall short of qualification.

"I definitely buy into the idea that the team needed to adopt a more continental approach. Where Kenny has gone wrong, and especially in the early part of his reign was that he went too hard, too soon towards a continental style."

This is why I think Duff walking was the best thing to happen to Kenny. From the outside looking in it feels like Barry coming into the set up has probably reigned Kenny back in a bit from trying to make 4-3-3 work. And if so fair play because some managers can be stubborn when it comes to stuff like that.

In this compo culture times a play area for kids would cost you an arm and leg. I suggested something similar when involved with Limerick, even if it was just something like does blow up things you kick a ball at or the dart board and they cited insurance issues. But at the same time people running that club were only interested if they were personally gaining from something.

Conan Byrne had a great chat with some fella from Bohs a few years ago about this making a match night experience more family friendly.

They talked about Finland I think it was, and how over there clubs started making games more family friendly because they realised that it was the woman of the house that had the greater say on the family activities they do at the weekend. And if games were made more family friendly then more families would come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Thought the narrative around the game last night.was.strange,especially that from George and RTE, talking about corners turned and new eras. Was an OK performance, a lucky enough draw in the end. Some nice moves at times, some risky stuff too in our own half that is unnecessary at times.... just passing for the sake of it isn't necessarily 'good football', good football takes into account circumstances and the ability of the players.in tight areas to play.

Thought Bazunu and Obimakenfaye Wer good, Hendrik too, but Doherty again, our best player v Portugal and again last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Atmosphere was brilliant, all supportive of the team which was maybe different to previous years when we'd be a goal down and everyone was edgy. Clear support for the manager and players from the match-going public.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did players come out in the past in support of O'Neill/Trap and name check them when doing so? Did Kane mention Santo and his backroom staff? Did he say Santo is brilliant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We really lack that presence in Midfield.

A creative player and a good all round CM and I think we be in good shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Has Brian Kerr ever had a good word to say about any Irish manager ever?, he comes across as a very bitter man, constantly sniping.

"If ever a team got out of jail it was Ireland tonight. We got battered for 85 minutes.

"How Serbia didn't score another is down to poor finishing & the brilliance of Bazunu."

Despite an electric finish at Lansdowne, Brian Kerr wasn't impressed.#IRLSRB #COYBIG #WCQ pic.twitter.com/zukpE9fAkb

— Virgin Media Sport (@VMSportIE) September 7, 2021

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement