Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

What are our chances of winning a nation's league group, we'll have to win an actual nation's league game first. We've played 10 games and haven't won a single game. You're often playing against teams that can float between being a top seed or second seed. Our chances of a play off are gonna be like MONs year, wait until everyone's qualified for the Euros automatically and they numbers to fill up play off spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Results do matter. They should always matter.

People pay big money for tickets/travel and deserve the best possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: Posters should make their own points about the Republic of Ireland football team and stop grouping people on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The whole qualification system for the Euro's and the Nations League is a joke. Assuming we re-use the Euro 2020 qualification system, if we lost every single Nations League game, then lost every single Euro 2024 qualifier, we would still go into the play-offs.

The only benefit we would get to playing in the Nations League would be if we won our group. That would almost certainly put us into pot 2 for the Euro 2024 qualifiers themselves and give us a real chance of automatic qualification.

By the way, this is the possible group we can get for the Nations League.

• Ukraine OR Sweden OR Bosnia OR Iceland
    • Finland OR Norway OR Scotland OR Russia
    • Ireland
    • Slovenia OR Montenegro OR Albania OR Armenia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Commentary on the radio this evening sounding ominous for Kenny really. He'll be allowed finish out his contract but that'll be the end I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seems a perfectly fair and reasonable assessment of where we are at.

Knight making a faster than expected recovery and is expected to be available for the game tomorrow.

Won't be no cans with the lads, or shoes off for the boys in green with Hill. Feels weird having a CEO actually act like a CEO rather than trying to be the main character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I am a fan of Idah but have any of you noticed that he is a little bit timid when there is a 50/50 ball to be won? I think he needs to add a bit of aggression to his game, if he does that he will score more goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

He's young. I remember Robert Rosario at Norwich many years ago was signed as a young skinny lad with a bit of forward promise and they chucked him in the gym with a trainer and he came out able to hold his own with the toughest centre backs in the league. I know a lot of years have passed since then but Norwich have done it before so at least they know how to do it is my point.

Looks that way alright. Probably even before it if we don't rack up some wins.

If we can't finish 3td in this group it's an embarrassment.

And if he openly backed him we'd have the oh you know what that means when the owners publicly back a manager kiss of death stuff instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

He's a dead man walking now anyway it looks like.

Looks like it.

If he gets this full campaign there can't be many complaints from him tbf.

He's been a complete flop so far, and needs to grab 3rd place to restore any pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What news? Some randomers post on Boards? The only news is that everything is up for review at campaigns end, perfectly normal and acceptable to all I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Hill didn't mention that we were third seeds for nothing. Can't see us going to Baku and Luxembourg and getting 6 points, or getting anything out of Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What’s the chances of us dropping to 4th seeds for euro qualifiers? We must be close !

• Advertisement

Seeding for the Euros is based off next year's nation's league. Finish within the top 31 places and you're a third seed. Basically you could get relegated to League C and still be a third seed. If you were to go off last year's nation's league Northern Ireland would be dropping down to a fourth seed as they finished 32nd, dead last in League B.

Would normally be the bottom two teams but Germany qualify automatically so won't need to be seeded.

Edit:

This is how they seeded for Euro 2020 qualifiers, and unless Uefa have a change of heart and decide to change up how seeding is done again they'll more than likely be using the same process as last time. But we all know how they change things to suit bigger teams. But no big team is in fear of losing their favourable seeding so can't see it changing.

Smallbone is back training with the first team after that awful injury last year. I hope the injury hasn't left a mark.

The worst we can finish in the Nations League this year is ranked 32. For the Euro 2020 play-offs last time, all teams in the top 32 at worse got a play-off spot, assuming they didn't qualify automatically by finishing in the top 2. As I said a few pages back, we can lose every single Nations League game, then lose every single Euro 2024 qualifier, and it appears we would still go into the play-offs for Euro 2024. Of course, getting relegated from our group in the Nations League would mean we lose that automatic play-off spot for Euro 2028.

The seeding used to be absolutely cutthroat. Now we can put 3 bad campaigns back to back with the nations league and this shitshow we are currently in and the next NL and our seeding is safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

I see some local businessman in Derry is funding an accademy there. That's what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I actually think we can - unless those two home teams just sit in and try and play on the counter attack.

The downside of playing Portugal then is that its before they play Serbia, so they will be going for the 3 points to try and win the group.

Also, even with the 6 points we would need the Azeris to take a point, at least, of Luxembourg, for us to pass them.

• Advertisement

Well actually I’m wrong. We dropped a seed after the last NL

He's their chairman and has been funding that club for years.

That lad has had **** luck the last two seasons with injuries. Hopefully he can have one season free of long term injuries and get some game time ahead of next season's nation's league. There's a possible spot there up for grabs to partner Cullen in midfield in the future. Jake Doyle Hayes whose started the season good with Hibs, and Conor Ronan who moved to St Mirren to replace Hayes will be hoping they can impress this season.

At this stage they might as well expand the Euros to 32 teams and give League C and League D the final two spots. They'll end up expanding again in the future, should just go ahead and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I wouldn't place much importance on seedings compared to years back to be honest; most teams in pot 2 to 5/6, aside from San Marino and Andorra, are middling, tough to break down sides that won't give away much.

FIFA still use their rankings to determine seeding for qualifiers, though I wouldn't be shocked to see them just use the nation's league rankings instead in time to determine seeding for the European teams.

Uefa use the overall ranking for the nation's league. Win your League B group and you're a second seed for the qualifiers. Finish as the two worst teams in League B and you're a fourth seed.

Though obviously one team will automatically qualify so I'm sure you finish as the best second placed team in League B and you'll get a second seed.

• Advertisement

You always fear for the worst with this sort of thing. Ryan Nolan was on the bench for Getafe and looked set for games until he did his ACL in. All that time out of the game as a young player can't be at all good for development.

Why are these guys ón OTB saying the taxpayer needs to fund these things then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Most clubs dont have a billionaire owner in Ireland and many are barely able to fund the LOI team never mind underage teams. Most underage soccer in Ireland relies on volunteers whereas most European countries and clubs have full time coaches employed to develop talent

This, plus it's not self sustainable. If he was to die in the morning and whoever inherits his money could be like **** Derry and gives them no more money.

I think Irish football will fight back against 70 years of mismanagement and underinvestment by a number of individuals of extreme personal wealth across the country to bankroll the entire country’s football scene.

That’s how it works yeah?

Hogan is decent, he links up well with Jutkiewicz as the target man anytime I've watched him. The problem is that if he's playing his way into contention, then it means the likes of Connolly, Robinson, Idah, Collins, etc aren't performing.

Knight got 10 minutes at the end, seemed to be playing right wing. He's had a long lay-off, I'd say he was nowhere near match fit. I really hope Rooney stops messing him about and gives him a fixed role this year. To be honest, I don't really have any confidence that Rooney actually knows what he's doing.

My thoughts on strikers as of most recent form.

Robinson is our best option. He has pace, he has quick feet, good anticipation, decent finishing. His goal scoring record for us is poor, but we don't really play to his strengths. I thought he was good for West Brom in the Premier League, and has been excellent for them in the Championship so far this season. I think what he really wants is someone to play balls through the centre of midfield, between defenders, so he can use his pace and get shots off. A lot of our recent play has seemed to go wide, which suits him less. He is still finding space and getting goals despite West Brom being very direct.

Idah has been a real work horse for us. He actually reminds me quite a lot of McGoldrick. He doesn't directly threaten the opposition keeper, but he has great hold up play, he rarely loses the ball, he can find a pass. I think he needs support though, and I like the idea of him linking up with Robinson in a front two. Unfortunately neither have played together as much as I would have liked. I hope that change comes, especially during the Azer/Lux games.

I'd have Connolly next, despite my concerns. I think he definitely has potential, he's very direct, he does get into good positions, and he threatens defenders. His finishing hasn't been good, but I think he could develop composure yet. What really worries me about Connolly is his fitness. He fitness was awful for us/Brighton last year, and doesn't seems to have started much better this season.

Options after that aren't super.

Long - as he showed against Serbia when he linked up with Collins, he still has something to offer. He is older and often unfit, but has ability and impact sub potential.

Collins - has one who has done ok at club level. He's never been found wanting in a green shirt, but never really impressed. Still in the squad on merit.

Parrott - a match winner against Andorra, struggled for us otherwise. I think he's like Robinson, he wants to be played as a striker with through balls being played between his defenders. Has potential, but we've no one who can play to his strengths.

After that, there's Maguire, Burke, Hogan, Curtis, Obafemi - Curtis has impressed me at League 1, but that level is poor. Obafemi looks like he'll finally get a chance - watch that space. Everyone else? Bleh.

After that, I don't know who is there. Ferguson, if he kicks on?

Jack Walker was the first true sugar daddy club owner in the England. I don't remember Liverpool or Arsenal asking for government funds to compete.

I've said before I would like to see a tax on sports gambling profits reinvested in the domestic game but also that it should come with some big strings attached regarding governance and youth structures.

Whose asking for funds to compete, people are asking for investment to build an actual footballing industry here Ireland. Creating a professional environment for young kids to get the top level training needed to succeed and a stronger domestic league that might see some young kids stick around a tad longer or get loaned back into to develop at senior level.

Instead of listening to Off the Ball or gowls like that, actually go out into the grassroots and talk to underage coaches about it.

• Advertisement

Just as big an issue is not having a playmaker to create chances for said strikers to score. Wes is probably wishing he was 10 years younger and could play in a team that would probably see him thrive.

Idah doesn't get into the box often to get on the end of chances, but it's probably because he's dropping off to link up with midfielders.

Think our two best chances of scoring in Slovakia was because of McGoldrick dropping off the ball, drawing some defenders in which created gaps.

Hopefully if Idah and Robinson are actually fit enough to start a game together for once next month we might see Idah having to do less dropping off because Robinson himself is quite good at dropping to link up, and we might see Idah in the box a bit more.

If Kenny is trying to build a team for Euro 24 qualifiers, then he's gonna need to find someone to be his playmaker and take some pressure off Idah to be that hold up player.

Edit:

Actually as you mentioned Ferguson, he scored again last night for Brightons U23s where he started and finished the move.

Something Idah needs try and do more often. Drop to link up but bust a gut to get into the box. Hopefully as said if he's paired with Robinson it should suit him more than being paired with Connolly.

In 24mins Scully already has two assists and a goal. Has someone ever put Kenny on the spot about his exclusion from squads.

Seems a strange one alright, surely deserving of a place in the next squad if he continues in this sort of form.

Bazunu saving twice from Parrott so far today, keeping Pompey in their game.

Bazunu is enhancing his reputation again today. Portsmouth fans creaming themselves on twitter

Currently 5-1 and he's had an involvement in all five goals. Two goals and three assists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just caught the last few mins of the Arsenal Norwich game. Commentator singled out Omobamidele as having a great game. Looks very promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's a great time for him to be performing anyway, with the next international break so close, would have to imagine he's a shoe-in for the squad next month if he keeps up anything close to this level.

Kenny does seem to have a slight blind spot for players of that age group that he didn't work with at U21 though... lads seem to really have to go above and beyond to nip in ahead of guys he's already worked with. Somewhat understandable I suppose, but we're not really in a position to leave any potential option untried.

Elsewhere, Obafemi made his debut for Swansea from the bench for the last 15 today. Hopefully he can push for a starting position fairly soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I don't think Scully will make it into the squad ahead of Idah, Parrott, Connolly, Robinson or Collins. Rightly or wrongly.

You'd hope he would get in ahead of the likes of Long or Curtis though who Kenny has called up plenty of times.

The lads would be creaming themselves. Can play across the front three and knows where that top right hand corner is. It's nearly his trademark at this stage of cutting in onto his right at the edge of the box and put one top corner.

If we're building for Euro 24 as Kenny has said, it makes no sense to omit a guy doing it at a level which has seen Curits, Horgan, Ogbene, and Parrott called up as you said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Curtis in particular doesn't add anything to the squad imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement