Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

When you can finish like Scully it helps. The man seems to know where that top rigth hand corner is.

Even if he didn't get half the space at a higher level the lad just seems a natural finisher and could get you a goal out of nothing at times. What's that saying, if you don't buy a ticket you can't win and our lads seem to never just have a shoot at goal when a half chance even arrives. They always seem to need it teed up for them before they'll shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭letowski

That Bazunu lad is handy enough.

Saves from Parrott are #1 and #4

Post edited by letowski on

Started off the move which lead to Curtis' chance I think with a great pass. Parrotts through ball for the winning goal was tasty, did well to get the head up and spot the run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Scully's goals and assists from yesterday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlRzDeNFkUY

He can strike a ball well I have to say. If he keeps up this form, I'd by surprised if Kenny doesn't call him up for the October games. I wouldn't be getting too excited just yet though. As well as he took his chances, this is League 1 football, and Cambridge are a newly promoted team, so he's not exactly scoring against the cream of the crop here. Also, Taylor and Szmodics both looked different gravy for Peterborough at this level last season, but have struggled to get going in the Championship so far. As Kenny himself said, there's a big gap between those two leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭letowski

Yeah Parrott has that ability. I think his best position is at 10. He can turn and dribble too, saw glimpses of it versus Andorra. The thing is Kenny's formation doesn't play with a natural inside forward. I think for now, Parrott needs to keep playing and developing, but he isn't far of a starting place either for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've always said he's not an out and out striker and playing as the 10 will be his best position. But in a front two like MK play he's good enough to play off the shoulder of the last defender when the other striker is dropping off. Looks more comfortable when he's in a front two compared to being in a three like in Hungary and Azerbaijan.

Would like to see himself and Idah get minutes in some of the friendlies as the front two in an actual 3-5-2. Similar Idah and Robinson, who've never managed to be fit enough to start a game together I believe because like that Robinson can drop to link with midfielders but also try get in behind defenders. Would suit Idah more than playing with someone like Connolly.

But Kenny needs to try and fit Scully into his plans. He's the only attacker at the moment I'd have confidence in of finishing a half chance if it came his way or taking a chance on from outside the box. He'd be more suited in the 3-4-3 that Kenny has tried than Parrott. Just need a clone of Cullen to play alongside himself in that midfield two.

Hopefully there's no issues with Covid, the underage lads haven't played in nearly two years. Lads have missed out on their final year with the U19s, like Armstrong Okoflex and Andrew Omobamidele, who coincidentally was third choice behind McEntee and McGuinness when with the U19s (was a year and half younger than both).

Mad to think Omobamidele could cement his place in the starting XI, never mind just cementing his place in the senior squad, and McEntee is on loan at Greenock Morton in the Scottish Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Byrne should return to rovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I see the kid that joined Inter from Rovers got 2 goals & 3 assists on his debut for there under 17's not bad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I thought I heard that his contract was terminated No? MLS move?

Might have just been gossip

Apparently they were trying to get him out on loan beforer the transfer window closed until January and supposedly moving to the MLS in 2022 to FC Charlotte who are joining the league next season was the talk.

Don't think they'd pay him off to leave, and he'd be stupid to agree to it. Enjoy the weather, pick up his pay check and leave in January to even the MLS if there is a move lined up.

At this stage he'd wanna start offering to pay teams to let him play. I know if I was a manager I wouldn't be wasting my money on someone that's barely played since Euro 16.

Harsh on Kilkenny, again not named in the match day squad. Good to see Coventry keep his place in Peterboroughs starting XI, Callum Robinson fit enough to start again and Jason Knight back into the starting XI too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jayson Knight fit enough to start for Derby tonight, same for Robinson against them at West Brom, though the latter came off at halftime - hopefully just from covid fitness issues. Molumby only on the bench though. Hopefully gets a half hour since Livermore is on a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

If I was going to be harsh on Brady I don’t understand why he did his own preseason training in Ireland on his own.

he’s not looking for a job in Ireland so go to the place you’re looking for work. He surely could have trained for free for some team in England..

I think Brady was a very talented but not a very driven individual. I’d love to hear Alex Ferguson speak honestly about his time at Man utd.

West Brom were a tough watch today. They had the better players, but so much of their play was long. Robinson looked the best of their attackers, but their style of play didn't really suit him, he's hardly going to be winning too many headers from crosses. On another day though, they could have won 3 or 4 to nil.

Knight put a big shift in, but struggled to get into the game as did the rest of the Derby team. With that said, West Brom away is probably going to be one of his toughest games of the season.

Said similar myself recently that Brady is probably pricing himself out of a move because he thinks he's above what has been offered to him, maybe. Because maybe there has been offers and maybe there actually hasn't, there's never been any rumours really about clubs wanting.

The Turkey move which only one Turkish website wrote about, and the Swansea stuff which someone probably just put two and two together because himself and Martins were teammates and Swansea are eyeing free agents, has probably been the only two I can think of.

Has there even been a rumour linking him to Cardiff? A club with no money, Mick is the manager and picked up a couple of Irish lads already for nothing.

Mick was asked about signing Irish players during the Summer and said that Cardiff have no money. I am sure he wouldn't have minded having the likes of a McCarthy or a Brady at the club, but it looks like Cardiff's budget wouldn't even stretch to covering the wages of those lads.

Brady definitely has offers. As a player under the age of 30 who played in the Premier League last year, he would walk into a lot of Championship teams. The problem is that this year most Championship teams are in the same boat as Cardiff, they're broke. I think Brady is going to need to find a club soon, don't think he wants to end up like Jack Wilshere, looking like a desperate charity case.

Shame is we could really use Brady at the moment. We lack left sided options, and we know Brady has the quality to feature somewhere on that side. The squad for the October internationals will probably be named in the two weeks. The window is closing for Brady to pick up a club and get fit in time enough for those games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Brady could have ruined his career already ,

As above nobody is going to take chance and pay him anywhere near the wages he was on at Burnley in the current climate given his injury record, The longer he has no club the less chance of finding a good one,

Look at Sturridge & Wilshire both far more talented and both out of football for 18 months now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I'll be quite happy if he's not involved again really. Hasn't been good enough for a long time now, living off a couple of decent games a long time ago really. It's sad too because he was a player with promise at one time.

If he hasn't got a club come January and Byrne's offer in the MLS is serious then he should give Byrne a call and see if there's room for him. Spend a season in the MLS and come back to the UK next January.

Loan options IMO are still gonna be a better option than signing Brady come January, unless he's willing to take a six month deal to prove himself. But think he's pride could be holding him back a bit. Take a pay cut, a pay as you play deal and prove people wrong. As you said he doesn't wanna be stuck with no club like Wilshire.

We lack left sided options though.

Stevens is 31 now and has been increasingly used in central defence. McClean is 32 and has dropped into League 1. Manning has played centre back this season and there's question marks he's good enough.

Was just about to type the same thing. No way could Brady be considered for lwb. For me both Manning and Brady are way ahead of him there, Stevens too and even Doherty though he's not left sided. Only positions a fit and healthy Brady should be looking at are 10, which we don't use, or as the attacking one of a 3 in midfield which we aren't using either. There's no place for him in a squad as it stands and he shouldn't be considered until he's had at least a run of 3/4 months consistently in a club team.

Obafemi had a very good chance after coming on second half for Swansea. He pushed it to the right of the post after getting past the last man. Should have scored really. Manning started at lwb for them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Chris Houghton usually gets sacked at PL level, never got things going at Forest.

Hopefully someone hires him quick. Can't be listening to all the constant calls for him to get the Ireland job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Hopefully Ireland hire him quick and get rid of the spoofer currently managing us.

• Advertisement

If the game has passed Hughton, then Kenny's standing at a bus stop that is out of service.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Hughton is not the answer, however all available evidence suggests that Kenny isn't either.

A player on a terrible team criticising the manager. That's a first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hughton definitely deserves a shot at some stage, could he be any worse than Kenny?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm reading plenty of comments that the issues at Forest go much deeper than the coach:

Forest are a basket case and have been for some time. Of course the Kenny faithful in the media and elsewhere are going to trash Hughton's (largely positive) record based on his most recent stint because they know there is a serious contender now that could come in and improve upon the worst coach we have ever had - someone currently surpassing Staunton's dismal tenure. (Funny how Kenny relegating Dunfermline and not being able to promote them never gets a mention...)

Ipswich fans slated McCarthy when he left them but the fans here largely ignored that, and were right to do so. He got us to a play-off, which we are a million miles from now. McCarthy had a tough stint in Cyprus but it didn't stop Cardiff taking him on and they are doing better.

We now at least have a proper candidate that can come in and improve upon this sh*t show. Kenny will hopefully be let go at the end of this horrendous campaign and we can begin to regroup under a man that has good experience at the level most of our players perform at. Whether that's Hughton - or some other candidate - we definitely need a change pronto. Can anyone see Kenny getting a job in either the PL or Championship when his Ireland spell ends? They wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. And if they wouldn't have him, why should we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just a quick clarification that Mick didn’t get us to a play-off - it came from the Nations League before he joined. Though it’s hard to say MON got us it either, since we finished bottom of the group… rather than us getting it, we were simply given it by default. We didn’t have any way of not getting it.

I like Hughton. Seems a particularly good guy. His style of football isn’t what I’d like to see us move towards yet though.

• Advertisement

Ya by all accounts he's well liked in the game but we'd be as well off holding onto what we've got than go back to dinosaur ball. The improvement in Brighton since Potter took over is also there to see, more points and goals scored in both his seasons so far while playing a more modern style of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I would like to see Kenny kept on, but of all of the names mentioned even remotely plausible I think Houghton seems like the most realistic choice. Don't know much about his management style or type of football he would play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That we even got a playoff devalued the whole tournament. If we had lost every nations league game and every qualifying game 10 - 0 we still would have played Slovakia for a chance in the Euros.

Ridiculous imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Point taken on the convoluted mechanism for how we got the play-off spot, yet we were competitive in the group. Denmark were at least given a game in that match at the end of 2019 that almost saw us take the spot. Compare it to this campaign where it's over at the halfway stage, and we are in a battle to avoid the ignominy of finishing below Luxembourg - who lead us by 4 points. The much hyped new approach has seen us struggle against the likes of Finland, Bulgaria, Qatar, Azerbaijan etc. Sides that were below us in the rankings when we played them. We've gone backwards. Someone told me on here about 2 weeks ago we shouldn't expect results against the likes of Luxembourg and Azerbaijan as we are also 'minnows'. I don't accept that. As Brian Kerr pointed out recently, we have tended to give sides a test in Dublin back when we had so-called 'dinosaur coaches'.

It's not like we have prime Fergie on our hands here, and a new coach would be taking over a poison chalice. The bar literally couldn't be any lower. The bar is now below Staunton level. It's a 6% win percentage. You're pretty much ahead by default just by being competent.

I'd rather have Mick McCarthy back for a third time than replacing Kenny with a poor man's Mick McCarthy.

• Advertisement

And he’s only spent shy of £100 million. Not something an international manager can do.

Not sure how accurate this, but the Twitter person has a verified check against him. Luca Connell to rejoin Queen's Park on season loan.

https://twitter.com/mcgrathmike/status/1438782300385329152

He'd want to find himself a new agent. That move has turned into a disaster when you consider Brighton and Southampton were in for him too, along with other clubs watching him like Burnley, Leeds, and Spurs.

Even if he spent the last three years playing U23s football it would have still been better than what he's had up in Scotland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I never knew there was a Queen's Park and a Queen's Park Rangers. I thought he was going to QPR when I first seen that post.

Play their home games at Hampden park humoursly enough. I guess they’ll be at a higher level this season at least but it’s a strange career path he’s on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I thought Postecoglu might have given him a chance but musn't be up to it.

I see they are top of league one so they are on the up at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

They are the oldest Scottish club and were amateur until 2019. They were the first or one of the first clubs to introduce passing into football so they have left a long legacy in the game.

Confirmed - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0917/1247326-celtics-connell-returns-to-queens-park-on-loan/

Disappointing, it's still a decent move though. He gets to play at a place where he did well last year and at a higher level this time around. If he can do well this season, he'll be in the shop window this Summer and can hopefully find a club at a higher level. He's still in contract until 2023 with Celtic, so he has plenty of time to find a new club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement