Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Has three, and if he doesn't play for us he'll play for Albania. Doubt Scotland have any chance. He's technically a third generation and qualifies through an Irish grandmother but his mother seems to class herself as more Irish than Scottish going by her twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Let's hope its not a Grealish/Rice situation

Using our underage structures to gain experience. We must have some underage structures all the same ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Luxembourg are a better team than they get credit for. They held France to a draw (in France) in WC 2018 qualifying.

I'd say Serbia are fairly pleased to get out of there with a 1-0.

At this stage a win is a win for Serbia after drawing with us. They need it to make sure their final game against Portugal is a winner takes top spot.

They've actually been very lucky that there's no var for their home games. They should have lost 3-2 against Portugal and feel Connolly gets his penalty when it was 1-1 between us.

• Advertisement

U19s drew 1-1 with Sweden in their second game today. Oisin Gallagher the only player to start both games and some players like Dan Rose and Zak Gilensan didn't feature today.

No one seems to know who scored as the FAI social media team are shockingly poor. Both games so far for the U17s no team line ups were posted by the FAI twitter page until half way through the first halves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Yeah I seem to remember we were about 5th ranked side in Europe in 2002. Had a nice squad of players, seeded first for the 2004 qualifiers and messed it up completely. Incredible that that generation only really qualified for one tournament.

Anyone know if the fans have anything organised for tomorrow in terms of banners or demonstrations against Qatar's treatment of its migrant workers for the World Cup stadia? We'd be one of the few nations with fans in that can show them what the rest of the world thinks of them and their human rights abuses. A banner that states that human rights are nice would even be enough, especially in light of the celebrations over the successful Saudi sportswashing of Newcastle last week.

Obviously the FAI won't do anything and the players have done enough by boycotting the tournament after the 2nd game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think all of that type of stuff is a bit 'studenty' all noise and no substance. If you look at the technical devices that we are currently using to comment on this site. A lot of the components would be from China or Israel. And the manufacturer of such products would have been done in China. The precious metals would have been dug up in Africa.

I would be far more impressed if people who pretended to care about 'Human Rights/Corruption' gave up using their PC's/Laptops/Smart Phones etc.

That would show much for sincerity instead of a 'look at us' student type protest job. Which does not look at the reality of where all the goods in the Western World come from and how they are manufactured.

Personally it does not affect me either way so I don't pretend. All I see is the smartphone laden protesters and think hypocrisy.

Plus given that up until recently Irish football fans hailed Delaney as the man. It is a bit 'rich' of Irish fans suddenly getting a conscious.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ah here. At away matches in 2007 v Slovakia I recall anti Delaney chants. Irish fans have known for years that the organisation was rotten. The media finally caught up only recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I agree with some parts of that, but ultimately, you get nowhere with anything without widespread public messaging. Otherwise any little act someone does, like dumping their smartphone, is a whisper in a vacuum and in practice achieves nothing on its own. You need both. You need messaging and protest, and you need follow up action.

It's really hard to make protests lead to action, but without them there is the certainty of no action. Protests and publicity at least have the possibility of creating momentum, which can then do some good. Think about how fundraising works - if you go with just the action, and donate a fiver to something, then that's it, and it dies there. But if you raise enough awareness, you can create that same impulse-to-action in others, and lots of people donate their fivers, and now you can actually do whatever it is you're raising money for.

I find people only jump on the latest thing that SKY pushes or the like to be honest. Most people would not do their own research - only jumping on the latest trending thing. Not looking at the bigger picture at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

For what it's worth I think the Irish team should do what Germany did.

Taking a knee before this match while ignoring the abuse and apartheid that exist in Qatar would be perverted.

That said I don't think the players are intelligent or aware enough to consider an issue that is not within their immediate experience. Everyone knows about BLM as it was all over social media. To have any understanding of Qatar you would need to read higher brow news.

That's grand - but, that's sort of a totally different issue, as to what subjects/protests have merit. Every subject is its own thing.

But on your problem of people jumping on trends without any intention of action -- If 50,000 people jump on a trend bandwagon, but only 2,000 of them actually do something after with changed behaviour, then that's 2,000 people doing something they would not have done it without the initial trend. The 48,000 that didn't do something is a red-herring. It's irrelevant. Going from 0 to 2,000 is the goal and the achievement.

Look at it practically some players from other countries have made noises about the human rights stuff in Qatar. Wearing T-Shirts and the like if their team qualifies you can be damn sure most will still play in it.

There was the same sort of guff over the Brazil Word Cup, Russia World Cup, China Olympic Games - surprise surprise- people round the world still travelled or tuned in and watched those events.

The human rights noise is background if that- does nothing the events still go ahead and big business still sponsors the events. If it makes people feel like they feel good about themselves what harm protesting. But what practical difference does it make?

Maybe Kenny deserves praise for not qualifying Ireland for Qatar? It could be spun as a great thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This is harsh. I'd say it's simply a case that the FAI didn't deem it worth the expense of having a social media person on the ground abroad, which I think is fair enough for the under 19's. They usually do provide a match report fairly promptly after the match though, the report for this game is here - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/report-ireland-mu19-1-1-sweden-mu19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

This is almost the opposite of the stuff sky push, and tbh I don’t understand why you can’t protest the Qatari World Cup at a game against Qatar just because there’s other injustices out there. Do you think that if you can’t fix everything, fix nothing?

Having said that I’m not sure about the protests. Have there been protests at any of the other away games? I suspect any anti-Qatar banners found will be siezed.

Ok... I don't get your point. Some people who might go to Qatar shouldn't use their platform to raise awareness still? I mean, obviously it would be wonderful if everyone went all in on everything, but that's a totally unrealistic expectation.

And I don't really see what that has to do with protests in general in a broader sense having no merit, which is the main point of yours I'm reacting to. As I've gone through, even if lots of people don't really genuinely buy into the subject of the protest with action, if even some do, then its done its job.

As the old saying goes, don't let the great be the enemy of the good. Maybe you don't get the whole World Cup boycotted, but maybe a few extra people become impassioned about it, and maybe it leads to a more long term shift in perceptions from people.

Any small progress is still progress. In reality, these things are all in a world of small victories and incremental changes. And the best way to stop any possibility of that is to just cry hypocrisy and shout down even the attempts at protest.

If Cullen is a doubt i can't see him playing. No point risking him and possibly picking up an injury that could rule him out for the games in four weeks time. Which is a pity as I was hoping we'd get him and Knight as a possible midfield partnership against Qatar.

Will be Hendrick and someone else, can't see him making two changes in midfield. Knight and Hourihane have featured in there but both times they've been paired with Cullen. Only game Cullen hasn't started this year was Qatar back in March. Hendrick and Molumby started that game together. We're in trouble when it comes to midfield if Cullen is missing for competitive games as he's the only decent player we've got and plays week in week out.

• Advertisement

This 'raise awareness' thing is very weak. Those on twitter are already aware but only about the alleged human rights abuses in Qatar. And it only seems to happen as it is trendy and topical. As I already said there was the same talk during the Russian World Cup and Chinese Olympics. It did not stop people watching the events or attending.

Are protestors against Qatar with T-Shirts banners etc not going to watch the World Cup and or travel?

PSG is basically owned by Qatar, Barcelona used to sponsored by Qatar Airways - would people interested in protesting stop watching the champions league?

I doubt it?

Those who watch Barclay's Premier League or support a team in it - would be interested to know that Barclay's sought out 'emergency funds' from Qatar to avoid a government bailout in 2008

So in reality to me all the talk of protests and the like seem like 'look at me' bandwagoning so a few can but pictures on social media. The reality is Qatar has massive influence in football, and global finances. A few student aged lads protesting in the AVIVA might make a nice image on their social media. But that is about the limit of it. I would hazard a guess that same 'protesters' would still watch the World Cup in Qatar - the CL, and most still follow the Barclay's PL in England.

The whole protesting the Qatar World Cup thing seems like bandwagoning insincerity to me there is nothing of substance behind it whatsoever. That is my point, the bigger picture is not being looked at, and those same people will no doubt watch the WC etc.

Are the protester's going to boycott the sponsors of the Qatar WC as well while they are at it?

Budweiser. McDonald's, and Coca Cola etc??

It is a SKY push - Gary Neville travelled to Qatar in a SKY documentary thing

Also you will know that SKY do not the World Cup football rights! Funny isn't it?

--

Maybe I did not make myself clear I view any Qatari protests as insincere. It is not really about raising awareness. Or even human rights. At the root of it. It is people saying 'look at me'.

If there was seriousness about it. States would not trade with Qatar. Nations would not play in the WC etc. Sponsors would pull out, the WC would be cancelled

But that is not the reality of it.

But it will be broadcast in Qatar, I'd imagine, Qatari delegates and officials will be at it. It's the one opportunity to tell them in our country that we disagree with the hundreds of deaths of migrant workers - who had their passports confiscated and were forced to work in 50C heat - building the stadiums for their World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Eamon Dunphy thinks packie Bonner is on a committee that will decide the future of Stephen Kenny and Bonner isn’t a fan of Kenny.

all news to me

Yeah how independent is Bonner really when he's been involved in Irish football for how long. Thought the independent directors would be people that weren't involved with football and brought in to keep an eye on what the FAI were doing.

Probably bad examples. I would happily boycott those 3 products forever. Visa, on the other hand, would be difficult not to use.

The lack of options for the number 6 role is really concerning. If we don't have Cullen or McCarthy, then the next best proven option is Arter. My guess he will get the nod tomorrow. He's a proven option in the role, he can pass a ball, he has the experience and hopefully won't make any mistakes.

Long term though, we're going to need an alternative and as of right now, no one is staking a claim.

If Browne and Molumby weren't missing I don't think Arter makes the squad, and for that reason I can't see him starting. Seems to be the guy that you call up when missing players and kinda showed last month when he dropped out of the squad for Azerbaijan when McGrath was dropped to the bench and Browne was brought into the squad. Molumby I thought might have been brought in for Qatar but Alex Mowatt picked up an injury before the internationals and West Brom are waiting to see how long he'll be out for. Good chance for Molumby to try and impress.

Yeah long term it does seem an issue for us on who'll partner Cullen. Between now and March hopefully Conor Coventry can break into that Peterborough team and Jack Taylor too because we'll need somone that can also replace Cullen. Jake Doyle Hayes is another player that plays as a six for Hibs and is playing every week. Should be worth a look in March when Kenny could make some wholesale changes with an eye to seeing who can come in for the nation's league.

Gavin Kilkenny will hopefully get a loan in January and start playing regularly as a six again. Unfortunately for him Bournemouth have the strongest midfield in the championship and Lerma starts for Colombia. Will Smallbone back to fitness can play ten or six and with a bit of luck he can keep himself injury free and get some game time. Maybe get himself a loan move next season after missing so much time with injury. One other wild card could be Connor Ronan as he played six for Grasshoppers last season. If he gets a call up its obviously gonna be to play behind the CF, but he has impressed at six before.

One thing I'd love for us to find is a midfielder that could boss the midfield physically as most the young options we have are more ball playing players. The only guy we've got in the underage that looks anyway like that type of player is Bosun Lawal but he's been playing CB and think we'd be better off using him in midfield given the options we have in CB.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is completely uninformed bulls*it. The media knew exactly what John Delaney was at but, like his good buddy Denis O'Brien, Delaney threatened to sue them if they said a bad word about him, never mind accusing him of being corrupt because Ireland's libel laws are so backwards.

What Mark Tighe etc did took years of digging, verifying and legal consultations. It's not a conspiracy that the media turned a blind eye or weren't aware because anybody with even a passing interest in Irish football knew it.

• Advertisement

Yeah probably a fair point. My post was in response to this though

Plus given that up until recently Irish football fans hailed Delaney as the man. It is a bit 'rich' of Irish fans suddenly getting a conscious.

which I take exception to and is definitely not the case other than a small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Oh lord I hope its Knight I cannot bare another 90 minutes of Hourihanes uselessness and aimless ambling around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Think Knight might get the nod over McGrath because of how effective he can be at pressing. Was an obvious downside how easy at times our midfield and forwards let Azerbaijan move from their own half with the ball the other night.

Yeah Hendrick isn't suited to that two man role but shows the lack of options we've got when he's probably the best of a bad bunch. Cullen probably picked up his knock early in the game which didn't help either but luckily for us he was able to see the game out as he still offers more than Hourihane.

Match sold out tonight and the game against Portugal should be allowed a full capacity. Would except a good crowd for Portugal with a few fans coming to watch their hero play in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Horgan is a decent impact sub when a game becomes stretched with his direct running and ability to beat a tired defence. He shouldn't be starting though.

• Advertisement

Surely it wouldn't be a LOI club v English club scenario where Irish fans cheer when the opposition score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm pretty sure Ireland has more Man.United fans than Ireland fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Lads for anyone that's interested I've a decent few premium tickets available for the game tonight. They're free to good homes. Pm if you're interested. They'll likely be emailed etickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd be preferring Ogbene get the sub minutes than Horgan.

We'll definitely be seeing a lot more of Ogbene as he's another outlet for direct balls being played into the channels and getting in behind defences. Hopefully he can kick on at club level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Both are good options off the bench. Ogbene can play the striker role aswell which is a plus. For now I don't want to see either starting.

Bench seems to be made up with LOI players with Kayode, Noß, and Ollie O'Neill the only non LOI players named.

Will be interesting to see how Ferguson gets on in his first start. I know it's very early days, but I thought he looked a bit immobile in his two cameo appearances for us so far.

Also thought Noss might have started given how much of a handful he looked the last day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yeah would have started Noß as he might offer more creativity in support for Ferguson.

Also feel the U21s should be playing the same formations as the senior team. Would suit them better and makes it easier for lads when being called up if they're used to the system already.

Scales and Keane not in the match day squad and Cullen misses out with injury.

It's grand for the U15 to U19s have them all playing the 4-3-3, but U21s is the middle ground between development teams and senior team. Feel the U21s should be playing whatever system the seniors are playing. Playing 3-4-2-1 would probably suit the U21s better than the seniors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was thinking of our team over the past few days, it seems we are fairly wedded to a three at the back formation and it has worked OK and seems to suit the players we have. How we set up in midfield/attack seems like a bit of a work in progress still, but the 3-4-3 Chelsea style seems to be what we have opted for lately, could be argued a 3-5-2 would be better suited against teams who will have more of the ball.

We are finally starting to see players nail down their positions in the squad. I think this is currently our strongest team:

Bazunu

Coleman Omobamidele Duffy Egan Doherty

Cullen ???

??? Idah Robinson

Two positions completely up for grabs IMO and dependent on how se set up/who we play.

Central midfield: Hendrick has the jersey for now but you'd imagine it isn't locked in. Browne or Knight could easily take that spot.

Spare forward: Very much depends how we decide to line up. McGrath, Connolly, Parrott, Ogbene will all view this as their chance to grab a starting position. O'Dowda a forgotten man who could be well suited to it if/when he gets back fit.

Tonight I suspect we will lineup similarly enough to Saturday, but you'd love to see a few guys put their hand up for one of these positions.

Brutal start from the 21s. Keeper and CBs poor on both goals.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement