Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

She should be fined 10 grand so as we avoid a repeat of this nonsense once and for all news reporters doing a segment from her gaf and all ffs

Some of the pro Kenny fanatics will still somehow judge that to be a success.

What's so funny? Unless of course you think our campaign has somehow been a success? Now that would be funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’m surprised people are looking at it in such a black and white way, 3rd is good and he should stay but 4th is bad and he should go.

I don’t think qualification was the primary target for this campaign. We haven’t qualified for a World Cup for 20 years now so it’s hardly a major disaster to not qualify for this one. What I think we have gotten out of it, is a squad that is much more prepared for a crack at the Euros. As I have said previously Kenny has put an awful lot of work to get them to this point, so to basically not allow him any leeway with a bad result while he gets these players used to how he wants to play is a bit unfair.

I think generally we need to get out of the short term mindset of trying to qualify by any means possible, but to set up the team well, and if it’s done well enough then we will hopefully get to a finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I heard it was 3 grand fine,

She said that herself on the radio this morning ,herself and her da are barred form the stadium until its paid.

• Advertisement

How is finishing behind Luxemburg in a group setting you up for the next campaign ?

Not Ireland's fault at all it just gives some context to the result is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wow that's bleak, it's no wonder we're firing so many blanks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Should be a €1000 fine for not going to Duffy for his jersey after he sent Ronaldo for a hotdog after his little Cruyff turn in the first half.

It's a situation for a few of our players alright. Egan and Stevens have been poor this season for Sheffield United. Stevens hasn't really played much for us but Egan plays well for us. Hendrick doesn't get a game for Newcastle but he's nailed on for that position in midfield next to Cullen.

As for Ogbene, Rotherham switched from a 4-3-3 to three at the back last season and Ogbene has been playing as a wingback since he came back from injury. Think given our depth at RWB and Coleman's last campaign probably going to be the Euros that it could be worth trying him there sometime in a friendly to see if he's got the defensive awareness to play there at international level.

Yeah we've got other lads that can play there and should be tried out but it's also good if lads in the squad can fill in in different positions when needed. For example, if Doherty picked up a yellow last night and got suspended we're down to Coleman who there's doubts about him starting two games in four days because of hamstring issues he's had the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The thing is if the FAI allow it to slide, you'll have everyone trying to run onto the pitch after this.

Ogbene, Coleman, and Robinson were booked. Thankfully we've noone suspended for the next game.

Not sure if the stadium organisers get fined too and they could be passing the fine onto the person.

Must have the same agent as Hendrick and his Milan rumours.

Formation could be wrong be the U21s might be lining up as three at the back, which I think they did against Italy the last time. If it's four at the back I'd assume Noß or Smallbone on the right. Game is also live on RTE at half five.

It shows what we played against last night,

A Portugal side happy to turn up throw on a mostly second string side get the draw & go, Little or no interest put in by there staff is bound to rub off on there players .

Judging Kenny on our performance against a team who seen us as an after thought & where delighted with a draw themselves is wrong,

If Luxenberg finish above u on qualifying you haven't done a good job .

It's not fair to judge him against a team that had a 150 million euro player come off the bench and some of the best players in the world starting but your happy to throw in as soon as he has a loss I'm sure.

This campaign has been about changing orish football and developing young players. Last night for the first time i can remember ireland went out and played football against world class opposition (no doubt you've in the past said we don't have the ability to do so) against the no.8 ranked team in the world.

We didn't put 11 men behind the ball we actually ended up with the same amount of shots as them and equal possession. Prior to this we've won our last two games 4-0 and 3-0. This rebuild is working stick to your guns all you want but I hope when the time comes you'll be happy to admit if you where wrong

• Advertisement

Lets see what happens on Sunday when it counts against a side who we should be beating ,

And of course i hope we win with ease and succeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We've got 1 win in 7 in this group and go into the last game trailing Luxembourg by 3 points. I can't fathom how anyone could want to reward this abysmal record with a contract extension. Even if we beat Luxembourg, they'll finish the group with more wins than ourselves. We should have had a minimum of 12 points from this group and been looking to nick a result or two against the top sides. Instead, we were well out of it by the halfway stage.

We were in pot 3 for the draw of this group while Luxembourg were pot 4. I had a look at how the other pot 3 sides are getting on:

Russia (1st, 22 pts), Hungary (4th, 11 pts), Ireland (4th, 6 pts), Czech Rep. (2nd, 11 pts), Norway (2nd, 17 pts), Northern Ireland (4th, 5 pts - playing bottom side Lithuania at home tonight), Iceland (5th, 9 pts), Scotland (2nd, 17 pts), Greece (3rd, 9 pts), Finland (3rd, 8 pts).

If NI win tonight, we'll have the lowest points tally of any pot 3 side, and alongside them and Hungary we're the only side to have ended up below our seeding.

I can't fathom how you keep ignoring the change that has been made during this campaign while also struggling through covid. As with the above poster I hope your happy to admit your wrong if the time comes but for you specifically I doubt it

Well as i said its about context we spoke about last night ,

1 was a friendly against Qatar , 1 was against Azerbaijan,

lets see how we do against Luxenberg who will have something to play for as they want finish above us ,

Line up was correct so let's hope the formation is correct too. Good to see Smallbone back in action just a pity his first game back is against Italy. Okoflex and Ollie O'Neill are the two to miss out on the match day squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Himself and the other lad are on the wind up at this stage. Anyone who cannot see the huge changes taking place and how the players are clearly responding and supporting it is just being disingenuous.

Taking a view based purely on points and position given where we are in our current guise is just plain silly.

The only change that has been made is we've gone from a side that tended to compete for qualification to one that is going into the final game of the group hoping to avoid the ignominy of finishing below a pot 4 side.

• Advertisement

Jack Taylor has been called into the senior squad to replace Molumby and Andrew Omobamidele has travelled with side to Luxembourg so presume he'll be fit to play on Sunday.

Don't see him getting a run out on Sunday but hopefully he can pick up minutes in March. We need to start adding depth in that midfield, especially for Cullen as can't think of anyone else that could slot in for him whose already in or around the squad. For Hendrick it's probably Molumby next in line but would like to see Knight or McGrath used there sometime next to Cullen.

He's on his way back to Shams anyway. Don't think there was any doubt he'd end up anywhere else but back with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭secman

They will be appearing on a balcony, shouting down abuse at Tubridy just like in the Muppets .....

• Advertisement

If Ravel Morrison couldn't make it at Lazio, I don't think Jack would.

It will be good to see him back in the LOI but its hard to believe he shouldn't be playing at a higher level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That Italian u21 team - typical Italian sort of win 2-0 not overly pushed.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Impressed with Kilkenny, Bagan looked comfortable on the ball, Coventry wasn't bad. We've nothing up front and I found Wright very frustrating out wide.

Tough day at the office for the under-21's, other than Tierney having a decent chance, we spent the entire game chasing shadows. Coventry, Kilkenny, and Smallbone were bossed and barely saw the ball, Smallbone in particular looked very off the pace, not entirely surprising given his recent bad injury. I just hope that it hasn't left a permanent mark on him going forward.

Worrying that we struggled to create chances tonight. Other than Bagan's little chip for Tierney at the end, I don't think we had any other shots on goal. Festy made a difference when he came on, but he didn't have anyone around him to play off and was trying to do it all alone.

I think it's time that a few of the 21 year old lads get moved on quite frankly. Lee O' Connor seems to have gone backwards, Coventry should be making his breakthrough, but rarely seems to deliver more than average 6/7 out of 10 performances. Kilkenny probably should be in the senior squad anyway. Kayoade/Whelan have often struggled to get into games.

Can't say I am convinced by Jim Crawford either. It's frustrating that we always seem to play with one lone striker who gets completely isolated in every single game we play. He never seems to mix things up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Talk about the anti Kenny lads moving goal posts... first it was the October window, that went well so it was November, draws at home to Portugal and could have won the game, its they didnt care and let us draw... now its he has to beat Luxembourg (which i think they will). Also people saying he should also get the friendlies and nations leagues is nonsense. Either back him now or get rid and give a new manager games to sort out a team.

I have always said he should get 2 campaigns and that i dont really see us qualifying for a wc again.

The players have all bought in to what Kenny is doing. Most have basically said he should get another campaign. Anyone who cant see progress since the summer is simply lying to themselves. A few bad results early on in the group and let not forget that the Lux loss and arz draw came from 2 wonder strikes.

I for one have really enjoyed the football and look forward to what he might do for the Euros campaign.

• Advertisement

The facts are as follows: we have 1 win in 7 games in this group. Even if we beat Luxembourg, we will finish the campaign with less wins, and we lost to them at home in one of the worst results in our football history. Of all the pot 3 sides we were amongst for the group draw, we have wound up with the least points of any going into the final game. McCarthy's Ireland had us pushing what turned out to be a very good Denmark side all the way for automatic qualification; Kenny has us pushing to finish above a minnow.

Here are some questions that I like to call the Solskjaer test. It's a way of cutting through an overly emotional connection to a coach, and trying to have a dispassionate analysis of a manager's record. It could equally be called the Kenny test.

Q1. Leaving any personal feelings towards the coach aside, can the results of the team up to now be considered satisfactory?

Q2. Again leaving personal feelings to one side, do the record of results so far present a strong case for further backing?

Q3. Think of a comparable-level team you would consider one of your team's rivals, would they accept this coach on the basis of his record?

Q4. What level of team is this coach likely to be managing after his current managerial stint ends?

Q5. Leaving sentiment aside, how would you rate this coach on a scale of 1-10 based on his record. Looking at the score you have awarded, would you typically back a coach with such a score?

I think these would be useful exercises for his most vociferous supporters to consider. He may be a lovely guy, he may have many friends in the media, he may be popular with many players, but the question we have to ask ourselves is this: is he good enough to get us competing for a place in a major tournament. When we're not sure if we're going to finish above Luxembourg of all teams, the likelihood seems remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What's Kenny's win percentage at?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Here is one question for you

Name one credible alternative manager we can afford?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Q1- they are now satisfactory, some poor results alright. Kennys ireland went toe to toe with Portugal and was 5 mins away from a win and they drew at home. It wasnt a backs to the walls, sit in and defend job, they went out played well. The 2nd half in Portugal had some last ditch defending but they should have been 2 up if Connolly could finish.

Q2- this has to be tainted with Covid and the amount of injuries and new players introduced. If Mick was still the charge the majority of the young players would still not be playing.

Q3- NI, Wales and Scotland all went through bad patches, suck with a manager and are now seeing progress. With the average age/appearance of Micks squad someone at sometime had to introduce younger players and they will always be invonsistent. And Wales and Scotland have talent at top premier league clubs Ireland can only dream about now.

Q4- What does that matter? Hes starting to get things right, players are playing for him and have played football like ive never seen an Ireland team do in 20 years. Who is Wales manager? Whats his record,who has he managed and why does it matter where he goes next?? Classic big namd hasbeen from UK or abroad - great,manager who worked in the LOI, did well and earned a shot - bad. Why is that and why are some irish fans obsessed with the UK.

Q5- based on covid, no fans, injuries and the level of new players in the squad id give him a 6 so far. Beats Luxembourg and we finish 3rd, exactly where we should in a WC group. Doesnt matter how he got third, if he gets it hes par.

McCarthys ireland were dire, competitive v Denmark by parking the bus and hoping for the best. The exact opposite of what Kennys ireland did against Portugal.

And despite Luxembourg traditionally being a minnow, doesnt mean Ireland have a god given right to beat them. Luxembourg have invested better than Ireland in the last 20 years and are improving. Theres not much between alot of nations between 40 and 100 in the world rankings anymore.

Heres a question for you. Get rid of Kenny and get who in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

MM's contract was one which set the Irish team back by 2 years as he was incentivised NOT to blood new players as results were all that mattered whereby he was to qualify us for the euros so Delaney and his UEFA cronies could have a piss up in Dublin. The team was on the decline even before that campaign which was evident by the worse and worse performances under MON.

Because of this Kenny inherited a team in worse shape than MM and aswell as trying to change the hoofball of old he was forced to introduce twice the amount of players that he should have had to. Because of this we were at a lower starting point than we should have been in the natural progression of the team.

It was a big step up for Kenny from the relative anonymity of LOI to international manager which he probably struggled with at the start. Also it took him a bit of time to figure out what formation suited us best and who are his 1st choice 11.

Kenny's reign has also been blighted at the start by Irish players going off the boil (Duffy was poor initially who thankfully is back with avengence), McGoldrick 'retiring', Robinson not making it at EPL level, Stevens and Egan getting relegated with SU, Hourihanes career going backwards, promising players with attitude problems, no crowds, covid issues with players and the list goes on and on.

The last 5 or 6 games things have started to go right and I think at this stage we can see some huge positives with the way the team is playing.

For many reasons I was never enthusiastic about Qatar world cup and wouldn't have gone even if we had qualified. I think it was a huge ask to think that we were going to qualify and I am not sure how many people actually thought we would as we have failed at the last 4 world cups with arguably better teams.

The goal (again imo) was always rebuild in nations league and get 3rd in group or 2nd at a stretch. Due to all of the issues I have listed above that rebuild probably took 3 or 4 games longer than anyone was expecting but I think we are going in the right direction now and personally I am enjoying the games a lot more and am genuinely excited about going. It is a good indication of progress where I left the stadium last night disappointed that we did not beat a team that is probably valued at 4-5 times that of the Irish team.

TLDR S Kenny is doing ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Well that and the fact that we should have beaten Portugal twice. Ronaldo was gifted and equalizer in the first and we were disallowed a goal last night for brushing against the keeper.

Great post. Anyone who thought that we should be qualifying or had a snowballs chance should require a long sit down in a dark room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Again, you’re ignoring the work that Kenny has done, and are treating each campaign as if the manager is running the 100m indoors, where the goal is always the same and it’s easy to judge one manager against another. I don’t know why you’re so adamant to remove context, but what the hell:

Q1: I think so. While we had some bad results we’ve also had some good ones. I think what’s most important though is that more recent results have been better.

Q2: Considering the international experience of the team in this campaign, absolutely.

Q3: Irrelevant. One of the key strengths of Kenny for the Irish team is that he’s very familiar with the setup and the players available to him.

Q4: What does that matter? Performing well in your current job can determine what offers you’ll get in the future. So if he does well here he could easily go on to a good level afterwards.

Q5: He’s a 7 or 8 for me. The squad needed to be completely overhauled and young players needed proper experience. He’s done that and I’m genuinely more excited for the next qualifying campaign than I have been in about 15 years.

After finishing it I don’t know why I did it. I can see why it’s called the Solskjaer test, but you don’t need a test to see that he’s underperforming. Kenny has made the Irish team unrecognisable from the Euros campaign and I expect them to be stronger again in the next campaign.

When is Robbie Keanes contract finished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

There was plenty of context around the bad results too, new players, new manager, missing players due to COVID, missed chances, etc, but many weren’t interested in context then.

We’ve had some bad results for sure, but we were genuinely unlucky in the play off match I thought, and ther has definitely been an improvement in the last few games. I think the players support for him is genuine, and I think he deserves more time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement