Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deportation of Uyghurs to China by Muslim governments.

Options
13»

Comments

biko wrote: »
    You'd think Muslim rulers would want to protect Muslims from persecution.

Only when it suits the narrative. If this was something related to Western nations, then they'd be going nuts over it. China doesn't receive the same hate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,902 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You'd think Muslim rulers would want to protect Muslims from persecution.

Why? Over many hundreds of years Christians have had no problem killing Christians so it stands to reason that people of other faiths have no problem doing the same to each other or facilitating it to make a quick buck.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's not the same thing. Muslims kills Muslims too.

Do you have some example where Christians have been deported from Christian countries to some non-Christian country to be sent to camps?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,902 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Do you have some example where Christians have been deported from Christian countries to some non-Christian country to be sent to camps?

This is irrelevant. You suggested that Muslims would want to protect Muslims as if they're some sort of homogenous blob.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Imran Khan was asked about the Uighurs and claimed he didn’t know enough about the subject to comment on it. That’s the future for a lot of leaders and it will suit many of them just fine.

Imran Khan can't say a thing, if he did, China would collapse the Pakistani economy. Pakistan is uniquely indebted to China, both financially and for its security vis a vi India.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Only when it suits the narrative. If this was something related to Western nations, then they'd be going nuts over it. China doesn't receive the same hate.

Some of these countries are already deeply involved with China. Pakistan has effectively become a Chinese satellite and is no position to criticize Chinese policy. In its obsession with India, the Pakistani Army has handed the country over to people who despise all South Asians. It’s a real tragedy. Sri Lanka is in trouble too and Muslims aren’t to blame there.

Turkey had been briefly critical on the treatment of Uighurs but not after the weekly rail service with China was completed under BRI. Given problems with inflation, Erdogan may need financial support from China to stay afloat.

Another reason many nations prefer China is that it has zero interest in human rights abuses. This factor doesn’t appeal to Muslims only. Duterte would much prefer allies like this if they didn’t want to take his territory. Illiberal regimes everywhere will be cosying up to the Chinese in the coming decades. One big worry is that Russia will get too close, as Putin tries to hang onto power, and end up as a belligerent client state like North Korea. Sadly, despite what Joe Biden asserts, we may have already seen the high-water mark of liberty in the world.

wes wrote: »
    Imran Khan can't say a thing, if he did, China would collapse the Pakistani economy. Pakistan is uniquely indebted to China, both financially and for its security vis a vi India.

Pakistan would have been far better off seeking a closer relationship with India decades ago, as Bangladesh has done. South Asians share so much. Inviting foreign powers in is a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately, India has now also caught the sectarian virus under Modi and is very difficult to deal with.

Whatever one calls China’s treatment of Uighurs, it’s clearly a nightmare for the victims. And truth has been another casualty. Here’s a picture of a ‘vocational skills education centre’:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/jun/10/china-uyghur-xinjiang-dystopian-hellscape-says-amnesty-international-report

In the decades ahead, we will all become accustomed to grandiose lies like the following nonsense:
    Several pre-prepared videos also painted Xinjiang as “a land of harmony and stability” and argued authorities had mounted “a legitimate struggle against terrorism and extremism” while denying reports of the use of forced sterilisation and forced labour. A big blue banner declared: “Xinjiang is a wonderful land.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/08/we-will-respond-in-kind-chinas-ambassador-warns-australia-not-to-join-xinjiang-sanctions

BTW these articles are from the Guardian, a liberal paper by any standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ardillaun wrote: »

Pakistan would have been far better off seeking a closer relationship with India decades ago, as Bangladesh has done. South Asians share so much. Inviting foreign powers in is a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately, India has now also caught the sectarian virus under Modi and is very difficult to deal with.

That would have been impossible. India has carried out atrocities in Indian administered Kashmir (even under the previous congress government), that would make any such relationship impossible for any Pakistani leader, who didn't want to either be removed via the next election or a coup. The current leaderships obsession with Akhand Bharat of course make this even worse than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I get my hair cut by an Algerian bloke , the topic of Sunni/ Shia Muslim came up one day . Well the hatred he had for shias was unreal. He was getting really infuriated telling me how wrong they were and they weren't following the Koran properly. I'm not surprised when the likes of Saddam are removed they all start killing each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Obviously these people are doing something in those camps for the Chinese government. Prisoners generally cost money rather than generating it so why else would the Chinese be trying to import more of them? What they have them doing god only knows. It’s a great country, I’d love to visit :rolleyes:

MadYaker wrote: »
    Obviously these people are doing something in those camps for the Chinese government. Prisoners generally cost money rather than generating it so why else would the Chinese be trying to import more of them? What they have them doing god only knows. It’s a great country, I’d love to visit :rolleyes:

It is a great country (not a great nation). I've been there for over a decade and it remains one of the best countries I've lived in or traveled to. You shouldn't judge the country based on what the government does. And you should visit.. although TBF being a tourist rarely provides much insight as to how a country really is like.

That would have been impossible. India has carried out atrocities in Indian administered Kashmir (even under the previous congress government), that would make any such relationship impossible for any Pakistani leader, who didn't want to either be removed via the next election or a coup. The current leaderships obsession with Akhand Bharat of course make this even worse than before.

I sympathize fully with the plight of Kashmiris but, for multiple strategic reasons, India was never going to give up its part of Kashmir - this is not Scotland or Quebec we are talking about. For one thing, there’s already a potentially dangerous border dispute with China. Pakistan should have moved on from this decades ago. Anyway, I’m off-topic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

banie01 wrote: »
    Yet still no opinion?
    Granted a discussion has started but you still haven't laid out a position?
    Why not?

I don't need to do that because the heinousness of the Chinese government's crimes is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

The CCP doesn't want Uyghurs activists, telling people what is going on, so that is why it is going after people in foreign countries. It is shameful, that they are being sent back, to a likely death.

Uyghurs who speak out are more likely to go to western Europe than to the Arabian Peninsula.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I get my hair cut by an Algerian bloke , the topic of Sunni/ Shia Muslim came up one day . Well the hatred he had for shias was unreal. He was getting really infuriated telling me how wrong they were and they weren't following the Koran properly. I'm not surprised when the likes of Saddam are removed they all start killing each other
    Yes, conflicts abroad will come here with the immigration of the various factions.
    We see it in other countries.

On topic, it's crazy China can have reach to Dubai and the gall to ask for Ahmad Talip to be deported.
    What is even crazier is that UAE actually deported him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yes, conflicts abroad will come here with the immigration of the various factions.
    We see it in other countries.

On topic, it's crazy China can have reach to Dubai and the gall to ask for Ahmad Talip to be deported.

Its not that crazy. When I visited UAE there was Chinese everywhere on the streets same as Australia. They already had massive influence in many countries.

I suspect once the oil money dried up the Chinese came in to help the Emirates, now they are indebted

Doesn’t surprise me in the least. The crew in charge there don’t give a fiddler’s about the rule of law, especially where foreigners are concerned. Certain Irish ‘entrepreneurs’ have prospered in that unusual legal environment.

Xi Jinping is really doubling down on the old communism and Chinese nationalism. Get the feeling he might be a proper Marxist.

He’s a great believer in himself, anyway. It looks like the entire world is going to have to endure him for a good while yet. He had a nasty cough a while back but seems to have recovered from it, unfortunately.

Advertisement