Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview on LG Smart TV

• 08-06-2021 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, feel like an eejit even asking this question but maybe someone could guide me.

Bought a new LG UHDTV, it's a 43UN73. Basically bought it to watch the euros starting from Friday evening, but when I went to set it up today I can't figure out how to get saorview on it.

I set a similar LG TV up in my parents house a few years ago and thought it was a straight forward process of autos canning for channels and RTE, Virgin, TG4 etc came up straight away. But can't figure it out this evening.

Do I need any kind of aerial or do you've to pay for anything? I thought it would be a straight forward gig but maybe there is a step I'm missing. It says on the power city site (where I bought it) that it's saorview approved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You need some sort of aerial to get the Irish channels. Even a cheap one will pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

And connect the aerial to the TV? As far as I can remember on the two tvs I set up in my parents house to have it, there was nothing else plugged into the TV apart from the power cable. But they probably do have an aerial on the roof alright.

Is that something that would be difficult to set up or how would you go about it? Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

You need a UHF aerial, point it in the direction of the tv transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If its an old aerial it might not work and also aerials have changed for different areas.
    Sometimes if close to a transmitter an internal one will work.
    One has to set tuner up for dvb/t/t2 service and your area for scanning correct services.

Grand sound for that lads, I'm surprised that such modern tvs still need an aerial but at least it's an easy enough thing to do! Will get out and buy one before the weekend and hopefully be able to watch the football no issues from then.

• Advertisement

Grand sound for that lads, I'm surprised that such modern tvs still need an aerial but at least it's an easy enough thing to do! Will get out and buy one before the weekend and hopefully be able to watch the football no issues from then.

A lot of tvs dont use an aeriel as sources are from a provider box like sky or virgin and use hdmi connection.
    Using a tv that has/can be used for other services can be handy if box is recording many things at one..

If you update your car stereo it still needs a signal to pull in stations to work and an aeriel plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

I'm surprised that such modern tvs still need an aerial

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You have a choice -

You can receive broadcast TV from terrestrial broadcasts which need an aerial to receive the signals.
    You can receive broadcast TV from satellite broadcasts which need a sat. dish to receive the signals.

You can receive the TV channels via the internet (IPTV) which need a broadband service.

It is your choice which you wish to use, so be sure you get a TV/receiver suited to your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Originally Posted by Ferris_Bueller View Post
    winston_1 wrote: »
    Why?

My first impression was also why would someone be surprised by this but when you think about it why wouldn't the average user assume that a TV might be able to do this nowadays.

Mobile phones can receive fairly high bandwidth with just the antenna built into a small handset, so on that basis why wouldn't an average user assume this could be built into the TV at this stage.

I don't know the physics/engineering involved but I imagine its to do with transmit power and maybe wavelengths involved (but then again the wavelengths are close enough to interfere with each other).

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

To be fair it's probably not on the primary school or transition year syllabus under "life skills" or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

dam099 wrote: »
    My first impression was also why would someone be surprised by this but when you think about it why wouldn't the average user assume that a TV might be able to do this nowadays.

Mobile phones can receive fairly high bandwidth with just the antenna built into a small handset, so on that basis why wouldn't an average user assume this could be built into the TV at this stage.

I don't know the physics/engineering involved but I imagine its to do with transmit power and maybe wavelengths involved (but then again the wavelengths are close enough to interfere with each other).

Phones have 1000's of masts scattered around the country, some every few hundred metres in cities. TV or radio only has a handful of masts across the country.

winston_1 wrote: »
    Why?

I suppose just not something I've thought about in great detail. As I said above, two tvs I've set up in my parents house before didn't have an aerial sticking out of them so i thought they had something built in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

You have a choice -

You can receive broadcast TV from terrestrial broadcasts which need an aerial to receive the signals.
    You can receive broadcast TV from satellite broadcasts which need a sat. dish to receive the signals.

You can receive the TV channels via the internet (IPTV) which need a broadband service.

It is your choice which you wish to use, so be sure you get a TV/receiver suited to your requirements.

In a holiday home we have an aerial to pick up Irish chanels and a satellite we are connected to, to pick up UK Channels - both aerial & satellite set-up by ourselves and sitting on the side of the property.

On the TV (8+) years old we need to change source between aerial and satellite to change between the Irish channels.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to pick up both Irish & UK channels without the need for a separate aerial & satellite?
    2. On more modern tv's is there a way to have both UK & Irish channels appearing together without the need to alternate the source between satellite & aerial?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Put it back in the box, go into the store and demand your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

In a holiday home we have an aerial to pick up Irish chanels and a satellite we are connected to, to pick up UK Channels - both aerial & satellite set-up by ourselves and sitting on the side of the property.

On the TV (8+) years old we need to change source between aerial and satellite to change between the Irish channels.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to pick up both Irish & UK channels without the need for a separate aerial & satellite?
    2. On more modern tv's is there a way to have both UK & Irish channels appearing together without the need to alternate the source between satellite & aerial?

Thanks

1.not easily unless you pay for Sky or IPTV
    2. Some brands are better than others for this, it'll become muscle memory eventually or you can set up a box to do it.

There's a thread in the Satellite forum currently that explains a bit better.

Off topic but part of the fun of being on holiday is being pushed out of your usual routine and maybe not having all the channels is a good thing.

Even on smart android tv i have to press a button to view source like hdmi 1 - 4 and sat tuners and saorview tuner and need to be quick off the mark to hit the correct one.

Box can be handy for quick selection of any sat and Saorview service to view.

Think some makers have combined both services into a Bouquet and clicking on rte one or bbc1 will bring it to that source.

Advertisement