Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can only compare with how it used to be. Bananas thrown at players. Monkey chants etc. That was ugly, horrible racism.

However that type of stuff has been almost completely eradicated from the game in England, bar the odd isolated incident. That's what I mean by it being overblown. The Kick it Out campaign was almost dead up until a couple of years ago, victims of their great success at getting rid of racism from football. Then social media came in, people started virtue signalling to boost their profiles, and all of a sudden people are running around in mass hysteria thinking their is endemic racism rife in football. Very little specifics though. Just a handful of incidents considering the amount of minutes of football that gets played every week.

Racism isn't just in football. They aren't just protesting against racism on football

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Another logical fallacy. Sterling and Mings are exceptions to the rule rather than every black kid out there should be multimillionaire footballers with a little hard work and elbow grease. Can you not see how ridiculous this argument is?

I know not everyone can be a top player. But how did some players escape the "systemic racism" supposedly keeping them down? What's different from them versus others?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It should be replaced by
    dcade of the Rosary.

Ah now. If we had to say the rosary for ten years before the match we'd never hang around for the game to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

the knee is about racism and nothing to do with BLM , it's just a coincidence that BLM used the same gesture.

that's what they say and it seems very reasonable but...

somehow the same doesn't apply other gestures that are not the fashion of the day.

for example , all some loon (like the ADL) have to do is declare some nazi once liked a gesture/symbol and now it is a recognised as hateful and all subscribers should be run out of town regardless of its' origins or actual meaning.
    The swastikas is the prime example of course but a lot of Norse culture is blacklisted in the same way.

funny , the logic only applies one way why is that?

if the players want to combat racism they could have easily selected another gesture or done something actually practical.

if I bothered to go to a game , i'd boo.

Well that is great. But it obviously isn't good enough as there are still problems with racism around the world, even it supposedly developed nations. Why rest on your laurels when these laws can be improved and amended to make things better.

These laws are being improved/amended over time, and that was happening long before the BLM movement came along. We already had a social movement that saw racism as being unacceptable in society.
    Also the likes of Hungary, Russia and Poland show what can happen when you take the foot off the pedal and allow far right and racist thinking fester.

All of whom have historical belief systems with regards to racism, and never attempted to implement social change to reduce the effects of racism. Why not add in China and South Africa too? probably because you want to focus on countries which are predominately white.
    So what exactly is the harm in highlighting that people are still experiencing racism and that the current measures aren't enough to combat it? Where is the issue?

Because it's not a simple reminder. It's a political gesture, and it doesn't concern racism in general, but rather seeks to elevate Black people above others. I could understand if there was a desire to deal with racism for all racial groups, but there's been very little of that. Instead, the focus has mostly been aimed at Black people. Which I find to be rather hypocritical, and empty of real virtue.

As I said before, if the taking the knee had been done for a month, and then, no longer, it would have been fine (although the condemnation against those who didn't take the knee was completely wrong).

Now, perhaps you could answer the question I asked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Another logical fallacy. Sterling and Mings are exceptions to the rule rather than every black kid out there should be multimillionaire footballers with a little hard work and elbow grease. Can you not see how ridiculous this argument is?
    Minorities are massively overrepresented in professional football. What is taking the knee even about? It started as a BLM protest, then it seemed to be about players being racially abused on social media, and now it seems to be about societal racism in general?

Its not even clear what these protests are actually for/against. Is there any defined goal or outcome for these protests? The whole thing seems ridiculous tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wombatman wrote: »
    There is still racism in football, but to say it is at an all time high is a complete untruth and should be challenged. Black players couldn't even join clubs in the early days FFS.

You think you know more about it than a top black player? Do please share your knowledge and experience of racism in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'm sorry but imo kneeling and wearing t shirts doesn't achieve anything . They done all the kneeling/blm stuff for a year last year in the NBA, and the commissioner told them to stop because ratings were going down . So the players stopped. Talk about putting money were you're mouth is . If the footballers really cared about the thousands that've died in Qatar , they should come together and refuse to play instead of wearing a t-shirt before a game . At the end of the day , them stadiums they'll be playing in were built on the back of thousands of dead peasants who were employed as cheap labour , so no , wearing a t-shirt saying human rights doesn't really do it for me .

That would require actioning rather then gesturing ... the money will be put in their wallets and taking the knee will continue as the gesture du jour... BLM crowd and the wokies are tremendously delighted though for no other reason then they see it as them having an ‘in’ into mainstream culture and sports, it’s advertising ....

“ look, we are not letting them play their game until they recognize us “...

It’s SFA got to do with education... if your schoolteacher and parents didn’t enable you to know racism is wrong... a fella going down on one knee on a football pitch for xx seconds isn’t going to do jack shît to change your mind...

jaykay74 wrote: »
    White guy claims racism is overblown, close thread lads. :D

Do you think a person's opinion can be deligitimised because of their skin colour?

Are you a believer that white people should be quiet when it comes to racial issues if the don't agree wholesale with BLM?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Booing people disrespecting the anthem and the game for taking a knee to support a reactionary terror group is not racist.

The 40 thanks this post received tells me everything I need to know about the mindset on this forum.

Its well and truly been hijacked.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    This is a thread specifically about the booers. Let's not all feign surprise at the hypocrisy in football at once? I'm all for players and football tackling those issues too and I hate the poppy but the knee is about one specific issue and you either support that or not. Playing whataboutery only serves to undermine it.

It's perfectly legitimate in this thread to point out that some political acts are supported by the FA and some are not. The UK isn't the US anyway, and it has its own particular history. Colin Kaepernick's closest equivalent in the UK is McClean, both refuse to pay tribute to the flag or poppy because of the history and/or present day discrimination of their respective countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

gmisk wrote: »
    Ah come on lad it's only casual racism....

"Europe has no history of racism" are you joking? Europe was not involved in the slave trade, forced colonisation etc....lol....

I'm sure those slaves will be grateful to see the knee.
    I'm talking about racism that actually affects black people in Europe. Things like European Jim Crow laws, segregation and discrimination that happens now, not 400 years ago - what is this then stop the racism that was already stopped in the past?
    In any case, the vast majority of black people here are not descendants of slaves, they either came voluntarily or they are descendants of Africans that came here voluntarily. And between a random Nigerian and a white European, guess who's more likely to have ancestors involved in the slave trade?

Racism isn't just in football. They aren't just protesting against racism on football
    Can you point to a link which actually definitively says what the protesting is about? It seems to change all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

I'm not your butler. I've already told you but you can google it as you please.

I only made reference to Liverpool because it was the first time I saw a team take the knee. And remembered that image of them at the centre circle. Marcus Thuram, as you kindly pointed out did it before that, the day before.

Thanks. Have a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ypres5 wrote: »
    Anyone caught booing taking the knee should be issued a lifetime ban. It should be easier pick them out in a socially distanced stadium. If they've a problem with black players and colleagues fighting oppression then they'd best stay home.

A lifetime ban ? For expressing an opinion.... not very democratic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What are black people banned from doing ?? If systemic racism is so bad , how can black people become cops , politicians, judges , lawyers, nurses, civil servants , even the president of USA twice , literally black people can become everything that keeps the system going. I'm not saying racist doesn't exist , but sure keep telling black people the world is against them , systemic racism etc . That'll help .

It's because it's much harder for black people to get into those positions than a white person. Poverty means they have less options when it education and often receive a worse education. It's tougher for them to get a job against a white person with the same qualifications. They can have their lives ruined due to the police treating them more harshly than a white person.

And before you argue that this isn't true there is verified scientific studies carried out on this with the statistics to back it up. Sure black people have all these options open to them but more than likely it's far more of an up hill struggle for them just because of the colour of their skin and the discrimination they face, even of that discrimination is subconscious.

Also the only reason black people can do this in some countries is because they had to protest for the right to do it. They highlighted the injustice they faced. It was a start but it's not over.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The 40 thanks this post received tells me everything I need to know about the mindset on this forum.

There's far more than 40 people on the forum... Your objection, though, tells me everything I need to know about your mindset. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Wouldn't be booing myself but i can understand the ones who are. Personally i go to sports as an escape from the real world and to be entertained, i don't want to be reminded constantly of political or societal issues. I know Zaha at Palace has stopped doing it as he sees it as pointless at this stage and i commend him for that and i'm sure many others are of a similar mindset but are terrified of the woke cancel brigade who would destroy them if they do especially if that player was white.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Are they even protesting against racism in general?

Looks like a small clique of rich, mostly White people being self indulgent.

People don't believe them, that's a lot of the reason there is a backlash from working class fans and why the great and the good are pushing back on the booing.

Strumms wrote: »
    You can tell the vast, vast majority of people chiming in on this have never set foot inside a football ground and never will. Every matchgoing football fan who objects to political gestures becoming part of the matchday is automatically 'a racist' (or an IRA supporter in the case of the poppy).

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »

It's funny how it's "hijacked" when it's a sentiment you disagree with, but "popular opinion" when it ties into your ideals.

gmisk wrote: »
    Ah come on lad it's only casual racism....

"Europe has no history of racism" are you joking? Europe was not involved in the slave trade, forced colonisation etc....lol....
    Africans were a vital cog in the slave trade to , and there's still a slave trade going on there today . Are do they get a pass because they're black

this is spot on.

none of us are living 100s of years in the past, the notion that we should be ashamed of our past is bizarre. It's a weird concept to make white people self loath and so many fall for it probably more bizarre that the notion itself.

But doesn't apply to africans, jews, arabs or asians...just whitey.

in fact, suggestions of reparations in Nigeria from tribes who sold slaves were laughed at. But some how white people have to feel shame or fork out cash. why is that? why is it suggested the west pay for reparations but no internal soul searching within africa?

what else is at play? cos it certainly isn't soul-cleansing regarding slavery, if that was the case it would apply to all.

Do you think a person's opinion can be deligitimised because of their skin colour?

Are you a believer that white people should be quiet when it comes to racial issues if the don't agree wholesale with BLM?

People that don't agree black lives matter.

Read that again and see if you see anything wrong with it.

It's because it's much harder for black people to get into those positions than a white person. Poverty means they have less options when it education and often receive a worse education. It's tougher for them to get a job against a white person with the same qualifications.

Asians face the same problems, and don't seem to have any serious issues with being successful, either in education or their careers. In many cases, they're coming from countries which are as poor as any African nation.

When you say "Black people", are you including the US in all of this, or simply looking at Europe?

jakiah wrote: »
    Can you point to a link which actually definitively says what the protesting is about? It seems to change all the time.

The knee was first taken on 2016. It symbolised a stance against racism. That's a long time before there was a BLM movement.

Can you give a link to say that taking the knee has got anything to do with BLM? Or is it just a racist projection to try and delegitimise the gesture.

It's because it's much harder for black people to get into those positions than a white person. Poverty means they have less options when it education and often receive a worse education. It's tougher for them to get a job against a white person with the same qualifications. They can have their lives ruined due to the police treating them more harshly than a white person.

And before you argue that this isn't true there is verified scientific studies carried out on this with the statistics to back it up. Sure black people have all these options open to them but more than likely it's far more of an up hill struggle for them just because of the colour of their skin and the discrimination they face, even of that discrimination is subconscious.

Also the only reason black people can do this in some countries is because they had to protest for the right to do it. They highlighted the injustice they faced. It was a start but it's not over.

The irony is, while people say things like that to black children, that they are going to have it harder than the white man, the cycle of victimhood will perpetuate.

I do my bit to fight racism, I treat everyone according to their personality and character, not by their skin colour.

Racism of any kind (including "positive" discrimination), regardless of the colour of the person doing it, is disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Strumms wrote: »

Yet you and others here are complaining about footballers expressing their opinion. The irony.

The knee was first taken on 2016. It symbolised a stance against racism. That's a long time before there was a BLM movement.

Can you give a link to say that taking the knee has got anything to do with BLM? Or is it just a racist projection to try and delegitimise the gesture.

Saying that taking the knee is linked to BLM is a racist projection?

Now that's some leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Statistics show that in America, black people are among the highest achieving demographics, and per capital are the demographic most over represented in Wall St. companies.

That's Africans.

In BLM activist circles and supporters, both of which in America are overwhelmingly White middle and up class, there is a nasty undercurrent towards Africans and Asians in America, beacuse both are top performing demographics, by considerable margins.

This is more about narcissism than racism.

• Advertisement

BLM began in 2013

Advertisement