Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People that don't agree black lives matter.

Read that again and see if you see anything wrong with it.

Really should be Black American Lives Matter, of course.

Did any player do this in Britain before it started in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yet you and others here are complaining about footballers expressing their opinion. The irony.

Are you not complaining about the fans doing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I do my bit to fight racism, I treat everyone according to their personality and character, not by their skin colour.

Like, OMG, how common of you. I'm sure all the goys in Finglas pigeon racing club think you are a true hero.

Do you even record it for YouTube.

#BLM

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

The knee was first taken on 2016. It symbolised a stance against racism. That's a long time before there was a BLM movement.

Can you give a link to say that taking the knee has got anything to do with BLM? Or is it just a racist projection to try and delegitimise the gesture.
    The literally had 'Black Lives Matter' written on banners in the stands, on players jerseys and on the screen on Sky Sports for the full 90 minutes when this started in Europe. Now it seems to be about something else entirely, though nobody can really say what?

Of course you knew all this with your deep football knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Really should be Black American Lives Matter, of course.

Did any player do this in Britain before it started in the US.

Why would they , unlike what BLM and their supporters would have you believe, cops in England arent going around knocking off black people like what happens in America . They did shoot an armed black criminal called mark duggan about 10 years ago which resulted in major rioting . He'd probably be a saint if it happened today .

• Advertisement

What is it exactly that the players want? What do they want the fans to do? Is there a stated goal in mind? "When racism doesn't exist" is impossibly abstract. How will we know when this is achieved? Who will decide that the goal has been reached?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People that don't agree black lives matter.

Read that again and see if you see anything wrong with it.

You agree THAT black lives matter.

That doesn’t mean you have to agree with taking the knee at every football game or event...

If I want to start a 60 second take the knee before my gym class in support of BLM and a couple of people complain ..they have a 45 minute class, lots of sympathy perhaps with the cause / message but wish to ‘get on with it’... they racist now ? Are they saying that black lives don’t matter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Are you a believer that white people should be quiet when it comes to racial issues if the don't agree wholesale with BLM?

Whats your opinion on loaded questions ? :D

Strumms wrote: »
    You agree THAT black lives matter.

That doesn’t mean you have to agree with taking the knee at every football game or event...

If I want to start a 60 second take the knee before my gym class in support of BLM and a couple of people complain ..they have a 45 minute class, lots of sympathy perhaps with the cause / message but wish to ‘get on with it’... they racist now ? Are they saying that black lives don’t matter ?

Should it be brought into to other forms entertainment as well? Before watching a film in the cinema or before the 6 o'clock news?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Danzy wrote: »
    Statistics show that in America, black people are among the highest achieving demographics, and per capital are the demographic most over represented in Wall St. companies.

That's Africans.

In BLM activist circles and supporters, both of which in America are overwhelmingly White middle and up class, there is a nasty undercurrent towards Africans and Asians in America, beacuse both are top performing demographics, by considerable margins.

This is more about narcissism than racism.

Really? When a quick Google search shows that wall street has a diversity problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Cordell wrote: »
    Well, is there? I mean a real problem, not that casual racism of some fans?
    Europe has no history of racism as US does, why pretend that it has?
    If they really care about black lives, there are plenty of black lives lost in Africa to war and starvation, and not to racism.

ah here - you can't be serious with that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Statistics show that in America, black people are among the highest achieving demographics, and per capital are the demographic most over represented in Wall St. companies.

That's Africans.

In BLM activist circles and supporters, both of which in America are overwhelmingly White middle and up class, there is a nasty undercurrent towards Africans and Asians in America, beacuse both are top performing demographics, by considerable margins.

This is more about narcissism than racism.

Educated Africans can obviously get around the system by being educated in the first place and not coming from ghettos created to cordon off former slaves in the US.

That doesn't mean the system isn't rigged against black people who are the ancestors of slaves and subject to a system that has kept them down since.

Way too simplistic to suggest otherwise. The Wire actually covers this very well and shows a lot of kids have zero chance no matter how hard they try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I wonder how many fans booing the knee are gonna boo/protest/boycott said world cup. Let's not pretend they're booing the hypocrisy, they're booing a gesture that challenges their own world view and the whataboutery "defence" along with "racism isn't that bad" attitude only goes to show why the knee is needed.

The repetition of "marxism and disrespecting the game" gives it away. It's like they knew that their real reasons for being upset about a gesture would sound a bit racist so they jumped on the first justification that they found online, no matter how stupid it sounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's to do with Americanisation. That's why people hate it. People may or may not be racist but is it any surprise that footballers decide to mindlessly follow some American protest because Nike told them to?

The Hungarian captain's gesture was the right thing to do. Peace, love and respect are all that matters. The knee just divides the world between colour and further cements the idea of race division.

*Most footballers are young and probably lack critical thinking skills. I'm sure there are footballers that have a very thought out reason for taking the knee but IMO, we shouldn't be slaves to cultural phenomena which are driven and propagated by corporations.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Looks like a small clique of rich, mostly White people being self indulgent.

People don't believe them.

Ain't that the truth, a load of white Irish lads claiming to know better about racism than the people who actually experience it.

Delusional.

Mimon wrote: »
    Educated Africans can obviously get around the system by being educate in the first place.

That doesn't mean the system isn't rigged against black people who are the ancestors of slaves and subject to a system that has kept them down since.

Way too simplistic to suggest otherwise. The Wire actually covers this very well and shows a lot of kids have zero chance no matter how hard they try.

To me The Wire showed how black kids get trapped within their own community. The ones holding them back are their own kind. That's the most realistic "system" holding them back. It's sad but true.

Why would they , unlike what BLM and their supporters would have you believe, cops in England arent going around knocking off black people like what happens in America . They did shoot an armed black criminal called mark duggan about 10 years ago which resulted in major rioting . He'd probably be a saint if it happened today .

Mark was part irish of course, maybe that’s what the cops were shooting at. The Irish bit. Which would be more statistically likely in the U.K.

When is the knee being taken about BallyMurphy, recently found to be a deliberate massacre? Maybe mcclean should wear a shirt and kneel. But that would be against politics in sport.

Ain't that the truth, a load of white Irish lads claiming to know better about racism than the people who actually experience it.

Delusional.

You're doing the same thing - presuming you are a white Irish man.

This is what black Irish player Chiedozie Ogbene had to say about it. Do you take his opinion on it?

"I was obviously disappointed because we all go through different stories and different histories in our lives.

"This is something that black people have been fighting for many years, discrimination and racism. There is no place for it in any sport, any place. It is what it is, we stayed strong and I’m so happy that we as a team took the knee to show solidarity between us all."

The repetition of "marxism and disrespecting the game" gives it away. It's like they knew that their real reasons for being upset about a gesture would sound a bit racist so they jumped on the first justification that they found online, no matter how stupid it sounded.
    So is taking a knee currently associated with the Black Lives Matter political movement or not?

Delusional.

Irish lads, many of whom, have lived/worked in foreign countries, where being a white person is a minority.... It's shocking, isn't it? Racism exists in other countries, and can be directed towards white people...

And I don't recall anyone claiming that they know racism better than those who experience it.

I won't call you delusional... ignorant fits better.

• Advertisement

Mimon wrote: »
    Educated Africans can obviously get around the system by being educate in the first place.

Regardless of education levels. Africans out perform Americans of the same education level.

The biggest challenge that African Americans face is class issues and the incredibly toxic culture that has taken hold in many African American urban areas.

While the rich white kids were marching for BLM last Summer, an entire generation of black owned businesses were burnt out and robbed.

In 20 years, those African American communities will still be trying to get back to where they were.

#BLMsoWhite.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

paw patrol wrote: »
    this is spot on.

none of us are living 100s of years in the past, the notion that we should be ashamed of our past is bizarre. It's a weird concept to make white people self loath and so many fall for it probably more bizarre that the notion itself.

But doesn't apply to africans, jews, arabs or asians...just whitey.

in fact, suggestions of reparations in Nigeria from tribes who sold slaves were laughed at. But some how white people have to feel shame or fork out cash. why is that? why is it suggested the west pay for reparations but no internal soul searching within africa?

what else is at play? cos it certainly isn't soul-cleansing regarding slavery, if that was the case it would apply to all.
    That poster literally said "Europe has no history of racism".
    I literally pointed out that it has....a long one....
    A simple question are there racist incidents in Europe still...yes or no?

The poor oppressed white person nonsense....absolutely laughable.

There is an opening in the telegraph and always time for you in the Daily Mail if you are looking to whine about white people being oppressed, migrants and not being able to say "anything these days" have at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Are you not complaining about the fans doing the same?

20210609-105337.jpg

19324029-401.jpg

They're a great bunch of lads sure and not a racist amongst them I'd say.

To me The Wire showed how black kids get trapped within their own community. The ones holding them back are their own kind. That's the most realistic "system" holding them back. It's sad but true.

How the hell do you think their society was created and perpetuated in the first place?

Holy Jaysus give me strength but some of the commentry here with zero thought for the contexts/background is laughable.

It's to do with Americanisation. That's why people hate it.

Activists here and in Britain thinking they went to Sweet Valley High

I wish somebody would warn the boats of migrants from sub-Saharan Africa that are heading across the Med every day that they are heading toward a systemically racist, white supremacist continent. Their lives will be a living hell once they arrive. They should avoid it and either turn back or find somewhere else to migrate to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Should it be brought into to other forms entertainment as well? Before watching a film in the cinema or before the 6 o'clock news?

Definitely before performances of Verdi's Otello. (Although nowadays, white tenors no longer 'black up' when performing in the role.)

Not sure about some of Shakespeare's plays. Are we allowed to be offended at the depiction of Jews in The Merchant of Venice or are we all pro-Palestinian these days?

gmisk wrote: »
    That poster literally said "Europe has no history of racism".

What poster? Could you quote where they said that? I seem to have missed anyone making such a claim.

20210609-105337.jpg

19324029-401.jpg

They're a great bunch of lads sure and not a racist amongst them I'd say.
    Those are just pictures of football fans? Are we now saying that all football fans are racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

This is the funniest thing I've read in ages, thanks for the laugh :pac:

Advertisement