Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

jakiah wrote: »
    Fair enough, was just asking. Ive not come across a regular matchgoing fan who supports football administration pushing politics into the matchday before.

Really?

Ever heard of Glasgow Celtic or Glasgow Rangers?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They aren't pushing it though. If they were pushing it they'd be having a sermon about it before matches or whatever.

It's there now and no football association is going to move against it as it will be a pr disaster
    What do you mean, the FAI issued a directive that every player must kneel before every game here last season!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yet when I explicitly stated I was against racism, acknowledged it's existence and was clear about my opposition to all forms of racism, you responded with...

"I'm not a racist but..."

Seems that explicitly opposing all types of racism still got me landed in your big bad racist category.

This thread would be a lot shorter if a few lads weren't allowed to repeatedly call everybody racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But aren't the anthem then a problem? Surely organisations like the FAI should not be seen to be supporting any country over another. Play all anthems maybe?

They play both team's anthems ......

Croke park was a prime example of it , English national played during the 6 nations rugby ,

Really?

Ever heard of Glasgow Celtic or Glasgow Rangers?
    What are you on about now? The Green Brigade have all but been banned for opposing the SPL intefering in their matchday. You havent a clue.

• Advertisement

The way I see it it's for people to realise that its not acceptable anymore.

When was it considered acceptable? You see racism displayed at football games when people can merge into a mob and become indistinguishable from the mob itself... you rarely see individuals expressing racism, because on a social level, racism is not acceptable.
    I myself have taken a stand where if I hear someone being racist I won't sit sheepishly there feeling awkward. I'll argue with them and point out that their 'im not racist but...' is disgusting.

Why not listen to their reasons before judging them?

I have never tolerated racism.. It didn't take BLM or the taking of the knee, for that to happen. Common decency, and the education/conditioning I received over the last four decades, taught me that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What do you mean, the FAI issued a directive that every player must kneel before every game here last season!?!

They allowed union members to take the knee. It wasn't a directive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When was it considered acceptable? You see racism displayed at football games when people can merge into a mob and become indistinguishable from the mob itself... you rarely see individuals expressing racism, because on a social level, racism is not acceptable.

Why not listen to their reasons before judging them?

I have never tolerated racism.. It didn't take BLM or the taking of the knee, for that to happen. Common decency, and the education/conditioning I received over the last four decades, taught me that.

So what are the acceptable reasons for being racist then?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

You have to remember that none of these players really know why they are taking the knee. British Footballers (like the Ireland team) are mostly morons with a cognition that can't function beyond kicking a ball and getting married to some slag when they are 19. It would only mean something if they had the intelligence to understand what it meant.

For anyone else with a brain it is a shallow and attention-seeking platitude. Like wearing a facemask on Zoom calls. It means nothing except 'look at me I am wonderful...' Terribly Upper Middle Class and trite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Fair enough, was just asking. Ive not come across a regular matchgoing fan who supports football administration pushing politics into the matchday before.

All the England fans who start cheering where the idiots boo are all in the England supporters club so some have been to see England probably hundreds of times and are probably all season ticket holders at their clubs.

Are they not regular enough fans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Those who think black lives don't matter are more of a concern for me personally.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret , it isn't white people that are going around killing black people . It's people of their own skin colour . I wonder what colour the person was, who shot BLM activist Sasha Johnson was the other week?? I give you a clue ... He wasn't white .
    Also, her mother was very upset that the 30 people who were at the party didn't help the police in anyway . They'd rather see a black man free to kill other black people than help the police . Black lives matter, it doesn't to them so why should it matter to me .... They only care if it's a white cop , so they can scream and protest , while they stick their heads in the sand while they kill each other by the thousands every year.

They allowed union members to take the knee. It wasn't a directive
    Sure the refs just accomodated it at every single game in case some lads felt like a bit of kneeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

True but there is an element of human decency to facilitating someone making a gesture for a just cause while being brave enough to do it while facing the ridicule of baying racists booing them for standing up to racism.

What are the FAI supposed to do? Ban protests against racism? That's a good look for them.

True.. but does not facilitating it make you racist ?

If i was an FAI administrator and i get an email from X cause... say for the travelling community and Pavee point wish to access the pitch with a banner before kickoff... my concern is BLM, Pavee Point.... what next ? Its a football match ! But my instinct is to say no but im worring about the fallout of refusing anybody now ....

You wouldnt be banning... just not facilitating ...

All the England fans who start cheering where the idiots boo are all in the England supporters club so some have been to see England probably hundreds of times and are probably all season ticket holders at their clubs.

Are they not regular enough fans?
    Ive never met a member of the England supporters club.

No. Answer my question first.

You keep doing this. Whenever anyone answers your posts, and asks a question, you deflect away from defending your statements. just as your question twists what I said. You're not dealing with what was actually written.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Whatever about the validity or otherwise of people making a provocative gesture such as the knee, in this instance.
    I am sensitive myself to the narrative and message coming across the various media from radio, print and television since yesterday.

If I was non-plussed and ambivalent to it all, well with the subtle flow of messaging through media, I would be under no illusion that I should be absolutely appaled and horrified at how fans in Budapest were booing Irish players going on their knee.

My personal view is that the Hungarians are entitled to have whatever view they like and that position is theirs to hold.
    Booing or otherwise, again that is their decision, there are many things I am sure each of us would boo about unrelated to taking knees.

However, the message being pumped out seeks to represent the views of all us Irish and that message is that we are all horrified and we are all totally vindicated to be horrified.

I don't agree with that. I am ambivalent to it all.
    However I am not ambivalent to the coordinated media narrative. That is being issued centrally from somewhere and that is worrying.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret , it isn't white people that are going around killing black people . It's people of their own skin colour . I wonder what colour the person was, who shot BLM activist Sasha Johnson was the other week?? I give you a clue ... He wasn't white .
    Also, her mother was very upset that the 30 people who were at the party didn't help the police in anyway . They'd rather see a black man free to kill other black people than help the police . Black lives matter, it doesn't to them so why should it matter to me ....

well colour me fucked, finally one of them admits that they're a full blown racist.

Kudos....

In a way.

Fucking hell..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Ive never met a member of the England supporters club.

Then what are you on about?

I'm stating a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It is their own time, who elses is it, yours?

Being anti racist is now akin to supporting a terrorist organisation? Wow.

But BLM are a racist organisation in my opinion and from the evidence I've seen from all the riots, looting and murders caused by their vendetta....

It's disgusting.

Take back what you said, I'm in no way a racist or advocating anything racist or anything to do with it....

This divide has to stop and this bull of having to follow the USA when it has absolutely nothing to do with Ireland or the UK or hell even Europe.

I am ambivalent to it all.
    How dare you! Racist. This particular political cause (and only this) needs to be highlighted before every football game and if you arent on board you hate black people. Or something.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    True.. but does not facilitating it make you racist ?

If i was an FAI administrator and i get an email from X cause... say for the travelling community and Pavee point wish to access the pitch with a banner before kickoff... my concern is BLM, Pavee Point.... what next ? Its a football match ! But my instinct is to say no but im worring about the fallout of refusing anybody now ....

You wouldnt be banning... just not facilitating ...

Slippery slope fallacy now. That hasn't happened or even been threatened.

well colour me fucked, finally one of them admits that they're a full blown racist.

Kudos....

In a way.

Fucking hell..

Way to miss the point there in your "gotcha" 0rgasm......

Are the associates of Sasha Johnson racist against black people? Since they refuse to help identify the gunman who shot a black woman in the head?

You tell us.

You seem to think it's acceptable to accuse someone of racism when they literally say they oppose all racism.

So if that person is a racist, the I think that's an acceptable form of what you deem racist.

Way to miss the point there in your "gotcha" 0rgasm......

Are the associates of Sasha Johnson racist against black people? Since they refuse to help identify the gunman who shot a black woman in the head?

What the fuck does that have to do with anti-racism movements in the PL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Kudos....

In a way.

Fucking hell..

Can you refute anything I said as false... Or are you just gonna label me a racist

Slippery slope fallacy now. That hasn't happened or even been threatened.
    Do you think you are in the Trinity debating society here with your fallacies? Some of us are only football fans ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Kneeling/sitting during the national anthem is disrespectful. You can’t get respect if you don’t give respect. Just wear an armband or something.

No. Answer my question first.

You keep doing this. Whenever anyone answers your posts, and asks a question, you deflect away from defending your statements. just as your question twists what I said. You're not dealing with what was actually written.

You were the one using the false dilemma fallacy and not actually addressing the point I made. I said racism was bad. Nothing more. Nothing about Marxist organisations or other nonsense.

You said I should listen to their reasons. I asked as I'm willing to listen.

I'm not the one twisting the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Are black people who do not support BLM or kneeling also considered racist?

Asked this before, didn't get a single response so asking again.

Are black people who do not support BLM or kneeling also considered racist?

• Advertisement

Can you refute anything I said as false... Or are you just gonna label me a racist

It's not worth replying to, your whataboutery couldn't have much less to do with the discussion at hand.

In fact, it furthers the point you are racist -

Some black people did bad stuff so you don't like or respect any of them - that's your position as you stated.

Advertisement