Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jakiah wrote: »
    Do you think you are in the Trinity debating society here with your fallacies? Some of us are only football fans ffs.

Highlighting it is the easiest way to not get dragged into the debating traps racists like to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

It's not worth replying to, your whataboutery couldn't have much less to do with the discussion at hand.

In fact, it furthers the point you are racist -

Some black people did bad stuff so you don't like or respect any of them - that's your position as you stated.
    G'wan you were going to tell us how Celtic fans support the football authorites pushing political theatre into their matchday?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Highlighting it is the easiest way to not get dragged into the debating traps racists like to use.

Debating is only a trap if your arguments don't hold up to scrutiny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You tell us.

You seem to think it's acceptable to accuse someone of racism when they literally say they oppose all racism.

So if that person is a racist, the I think that's an acceptable form of what you deem racist.

Im against racism so I don't know. I've been told to listen to the other side of the argument so that's why I've asked. Burden of proof isnt on me. I'm still waiting.

You sound paranoid tbh. It is perfectly reasonable to support a political stance and also oppose having that political stance highlighted as part of a football matchday.

• Advertisement

Debating is only a trap if your arguments don't hold up to scrutiny

Ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

G'wan you were going to tell us how Celtic fans support the football authorites pushing political theatre into their matchday?

I got that one wrong to be honest, misread the exact question.

You were the one using the false dilemma fallacy and not actually addressing the point I made. I said racism was bad. Nothing more. Nothing about Marxist organisations or other nonsense.

You said I should listen to their reasons. I asked as I'm willing to listen.

I'm not the one twisting the question.

Deflecting again.

I'm not going to chase you. Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm not the one that made the allusions to religion. I do find it amusing that your argument is that being against racism is a cult.

WOKEness is a religion, the religion of the progressive left

"Taking the knee ' is a public display of piousness, no different to climbing Croagh Patrick back in the day or doing the stations of the cross

Ironic.

Again, deflection.

I'll ask again directly, when you alluded to me being a racist, despite being explicit in my opposition to racism on all fronts, what made that acceptable?

I'd wager that I have more direct experience with opposing actual racism in my day to day life than you do, yet I'm being told that my views are racist because they don't meet your standard.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Ugh, more culture war ****. Leave us alone we just want to go to the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The pro-BLM crowd are the modern iteration of the pious Catholics of the past. Desperate to show their virtue and condemn the non-believers.

Some of them are more like WOKE ayotollahs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

It's not worth replying to, your whataboutery couldn't have much less to do with the discussion at hand.

In fact, it furthers the point you are racist -

Some black people did bad stuff so you don't like or respect any of them - that's your position as you stated.

A blm activist get shot by a black man and none of the 30 party goers help the police , I'm sure if the shooter was white , the cops couldn't write down their statements quick enough . And yet I'm racist because I highlight the hypocrisy of the BLM movement . Good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

It's the likes of this bs, that has finished off my interest in soccer....

A blm activist get shot by a black man and none of the 30 party goers help the police , I'm sure if the shooter was white , the cops couldn't write down their statements quick enough . And yet I'm racist because I highlight the hypocrisy of the BLM movement . Good one.

You are bringing completely unrelated stuff in about how there are bad black people in the world, specifically at a party in America, in order to...

..checks notes..

try and discredit a movement against racism in English football.

Good one, Mr.SelfConfessedRacist

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

But BLM are a racist organisation in my opinion and from the evidence I've seen from all the riots, looting and murders caused by their vendetta....

It's disgusting.

Take back what you said, I'm in no way a racist or advocating anything racist or anything to do with it....

This divide has to stop and this bull of having to follow the USA when it has absolutely nothing to do with Ireland or the UK or hell even Europe.

A - BLM is not a singular organisation under which everyone who uses the moniker is receiving direction or has subscribed to some form of rules which they will adhere to.

B - The vast majority, as in greater than 90% plus of demonstrations and protests held in the name of 'BLM' last year were entirely peaceful.

C - At least some of the incidents which turned violent were exacerbated by police or shadow operators. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all, but there were incidents where this was the case.

D - If you find it disgusting that there is violence and murders carried out, in your view by BLM advocates, do you not understand the anger that has grown at continued and persistent excessive force, prejudiced action and fatal intervention carried out frequently on people from black communities by people hired to protect them?

E - We have seen ongoing incidents of racism in towards footballers in the UK. One of the most publicized incidents involved a former footballer and a young Irish lad who sent categorically racist abuse his way.

F - With all this in mind, if you are trying to stop an act that is drawing attention to the need to call out and tackle racism because you don't want to tolerate 10-15 seconds of this before a game, that mightn't make you a racist yourself, but you are giving a pass to people who are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Mad_maxx wrote: »

"Taking the knee ' is a public display of piousness, no different to climbing Croagh Patrick back in the day or doing the stations of the cross

You can be pro taking the knee and not be "woke". Not everyone who is in favour of the gesture is a card carrying leftie / liberal / tree hugger (just as not everyone who opposes it is automatically a far right head and racist). People can be genuinely anti-racist without needing to be left wing or far left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You are bringing completely unrelated stuff in about how there are bad black people in the world, specifically at a party in America, in order to...

..checks notes..

try and discredit a movement against racism in English football.

Good one, Mr.SelfConfessedRacist
    It's not just English football. The booing happened at an Ireland game too.

It's not just English football. The booing happened at an Ireland game too.

Apologies, racism in football, generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Listening to Stephen Kenny speak about something he hasn't a clue about. Does he even know who George Soros is? 'DA EASTERN EUROPEANS DIDN'T BEND THE KNEE FOR OUR YOUNG FOREIGN LADS, LET'S MAKE THIS ALL ABOUT IRELAND AND HOW MODERN TOLERANT AND DIVERSE WE ARE NOW WITH ALL DA FOREIGN BLACK LADS IN DA TEAM'

• Advertisement

Murph85 wrote: »
    It's the likes of this bs, that has finished off my interest in soccer....
    Least surprising post in the thread tbh. We are doomed to listen to this horse**** forever. 'Support the troops', 'Black Lives Matter'. How about **** off?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

if it's tied in any way to the BLM movement it's going to keep getting booed. simple as that.
    if the people booing are racist then surely they wouldn't even turn up at the game, there's load of black player on the english team FFS or else they would be turning up and be booing every time a black man touches the ball ? is that whats happening ? NO. it's a backlash againt BLM. they think it's very easy for these radical people to get away with pushing bullcrap by calling objectors racists. who booed the "no to racism" adverts and other campaigns in soccer ? no one, that's who. the players can say what they like, they are multimillionaires, i don't think they worry too much about the day to day of modern life. BLM is a terrorist group, simple as that.
    how do you introduce totalitarianism ? step by step with things like the BLM movement
    before i get called racist, anyone who commits an actual racist act at a sports ground or directed at a sportsperson should be banned FOR LIFE from attending games AT ANY GROUND and being involved with that sport in ANY WAY, i mean ANY. for example like playing, coaching or attending a local GAA team if you shouted racist abuse at someone like Lee Chin at a wexford intercounty game. that person should be gone for life from all aspects of the game.

Listening to Stephen Kenny speak about something he hasn't a clue about. Does he even know who George Soros is? 'DA EASTERN EUROPEANS DIDN'T BEND THE KNEE FOR OUR YOUNG FOREIGN LADS, LET'S MAKE THIS ALL ABOUT IRELAND AND HOW MODERN. TOLERANT AND DIVERSE WE ARE NOW'
    Interesting they didnt bend the knee at the Andorra game alright. But its not political.

Interesting they didnt bend the knee at the Andorra game alright. But its not political.

Andorra don't have a horrendous human rights record like the current Hungarian government does.

And it wasn't blm. It was against hungary's horrendous treatment of minorities and immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

if it's tied in any way to the BLM movement it's going to keep getting booed. simple as that.
    if the people booing are racist then surely they wouldn't even turn up at the game, there's load of black player on the english team FFS or else they would be turning up and be booing every time a black man touches the ball ? is that whats happening ? NO. it's a backlash againt BLM. they think it's very easy for these radical people to get away with pushing bullcrap by calling objectors racists. who booed the "no to racism" adverts and other campaigns in soccer ? no one, that's who. the players can say what they like, they are multimillionaires, i don't think they worry too much about the day to day of modern life. BLM is a terrorist group, simple as that.
    how do you introduce totalitarianism ? step by step with things like the BLM movement

This is laughable it is such a ridiculous effort to absolve people against the players taking the knee.

If what you are saying was true, there wouldn't be any incidents of racism in football ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Well this turned out to be something of a hornets nest...

Andorra don't have a horrendous human rights record like the current Hungarian government does.
    So it is political then...

Well this turned out to be something of a hornets nest...

Hey, we're 38 pages into a thread about racism, it's a guaranteed shitshow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

A - BLM is not a singular organisation under which everyone who uses the moniker is receiving direction or has subscribed to some form of rules which they will adhere to.

B - The vast majority, as in greater than 90% plus of demonstrations and protests held in the name of 'BLM' last year were entirely peaceful.

C - At least some of the incidents which turned violent were exacerbated by police or shadow operators. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all, but there were incidents where this was the case.

D - If you find it disgusting that there is violence and murders carried out, in your view by BLM advocates, do you not understand the anger that has grown at continued and persistent excessive force, prejudiced action and fatal intervention carried out frequently on people from black communities by people hired to protect them?

E - We have seen ongoing incidents of racism in towards footballers in the UK. One of the most publicized incidents involved a former footballer and a young Irish lad who sent categorically racist abuse his way.

F - With all this in mind, if you are trying to stop an act that is drawing attention to the need to call out and tackle racism because you don't want to tolerate 10-15 seconds of this before a game, that mightn't make you a racist yourself, but you are giving a pass to people who are.

But as pointed out several times now, there was already a anti-racism programme in football called Kick-it-out that nobody seemed to have any issue with, yet the kneeling thing now seems to be the only form of acceptable anti-racism narrative. Why? What was wrong with kick-it-out? Loads of players doing ads saying no to racism. You may argue they had little impact but taking a knee will have little impact either and if anything seems to be having the opposite effect.

Whilst I in no-way condone what happened to Ian Wright, it is also hard to look past Ian Wright making fun of Roy keane's Irish accent on live television. I cannot recall ever seeing anyone on television doing that before. Then again, it would re-enforce the type of Double-Standards I experienced living in the UK.

• Advertisement

This is laughable it is such a ridiculous effort to absolve people against the players taking the knee.

If what you are saying was true, there wouldn't be any incidents of racism in football ffs.

People who are against people taking the knee don't need to be absolved.

Is it your view that anyone who opposes it is racist?

Advertisement