Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

if it's tied in any way to the BLM movement it's going to keep getting booed. simple as that.
    If the people booing are racist then surely they wouldn't even turn up at the game, there's load of black player on the english team FFS or else they would be turning up and be booing every time a black man touches the ball ? is that whats happening ? NO. it's a backlash againt BLM. they think it's very easy for these radical people to get away with pushing bullcrap by calling objectors racists. who booed the "no to racism" adverts and other campaigns in soccer ? no one, that's who. the players can say what they like, they are multimillionaires, i don't think they worry too much about the day to day of modern life. BLM is a terrorist group, simple as that.
    how do you introduce totalitarianism ? step by step with things like the BLM movement
    Nonsense

Have you forgotten Chelsea fans with their "Anton Ferdinand you know what you are" chant despite having Drogba, Cole etc on their own team?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Can you refute anything I said as false... Or are you just gonna label me a racist

It happens again and again in this thread. It's disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I'm going to let you in on a little secret , it isn't white people that are going around killing black people . It's people of their own skin colour . I wonder what colour the person was, who shot BLM activist Sasha Johnson was the other week?? I give you a clue ... He wasn't white .
    Also, her mother was very upset that the 30 people who were at the party didn't help the police in anyway . They'd rather see a black man free to kill other black people than help the police . Black lives matter, it doesn't to them so why should it matter to me .... They only care if it's a white cop , so they can scream and protest , while they stick their heads in the sand while they kill each other by the thousands every year.
    Rothko wrote: »
    It happens again and again in this thread. It's disgusting.

The poster labelled themselves as a racist in the post, so... what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A - BLM is not a singular organisation under which everyone who uses the moniker is receiving direction or has subscribed to some form of rules which they will adhere to.

And there we are, the motte and bailey fallacy in full view "BLM just means Black Lives Matter, you must think Black Lives don't matter derp derp". BLM is an organisation. Its an organisation with an abhorrent agenda.
    B - The vast majority, as in greater than 90% plus of demonstrations and protests held in the name of 'BLM' last year were entirely peaceful.

Vast majority of police interactions with black people, as in greater than 90%, don't result in, violence, deaths or injuries. By your own logic, there is no problem.
    C - At least some of the incidents which turned violent were exacerbated by police or shadow operators. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all, but there were incidents where this was the case.

conspiracy theories now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Bambi wrote: »
    And there we are, the motte and bailey fallacy in full view
    The motte and bailey fallacy now is it? Has that anything to do with John Motson?

• Advertisement

This sanctimonious claptrap needs the boot, threatening to blight a wonderful sport. Will the GAA be conscripted next? "Look at me, I'm suddenly self-righteous. Get in line sponsors, surely my new set of beliefs align with your corporate values". Let's face the facts, it's a cynical enterprise and I'm simply not buying into such a po-faced masquerade.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,721 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

But as pointed out several times now, there was already a anti-racism programme in football called Kick-it-out that nobody seemed to have any issue with, yet the kneeling thing now seems to be the only form of acceptable anti-racism narrative. Why? What was wrong with kick-it-out? Loads of players doing ads saying no to racism. You may argue they had little impact but taking a knee will have little impact either and if anything seems to be having the opposite effect.

To turn your question around, why should anti-racism efforts be restricted to just what was done before? I have seen zero sign that the knee thing is the only acceptable form, just that it is another acceptable form. It's great that there are already existing programs, and hopefully there will be more - and more effective - ones in the future.

The players themselves were the ones who brought it in - not any external organisation, or indeed the FA themselves - and they're the ones playing the game, so why wouldn't they have the right to do it if they feel it's important.

I daresay the fact that it has provoked such a strong reaction in some people is proof that it was a necessary action. It's interesting that just the small extra step from the very-much background and passive 'Kick it out' campaign (as far as your average fan experience is concerned, the occasional ad on football shows), to the ever so slightly more active and up front move of visibly and physically making a gesture of support and respect, was enough to kick off the boos.

And no, I don't buy for one second that those boo'ing in stadiums are doing so because of an organisation (that actually has nothing to do with this - BLM being a simple phrase that was used by the group). Indeed the entire English football structure changed the phrase to "No Room For Racism" - made **** all difference didn't it though. Because the phrase is irrelevent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bambi wrote: »
    And there we are, the motte and bailey fallacy in full view "BLM just means Black Lives Matter, you must think Black Lives don't matter derp derp". BLM is an organisation. Its an organisation with an abhorrent agenda.

Vast majority of police interactions with black people, as in greater than 90%, don't result in, violence, deaths or injuries. By your own logic, there is no problem.

conspiracy theories now too.

The blm matters organisations are just parasites and totally separate to the movement and sentiment. They are blm in name only and feeding off the publicity of their name to further their own agenda.

The vast, vast majority of BLM supporters have no affiliation or want anything to do with these parasites.

How many times does this have to be explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

You are bringing completely unrelated stuff in about how there are bad black people in the world, specifically at a party in America, in order to...

..checks notes..

try and discredit a movement against racism in English football.

Good one, Mr.SelfConfessedRacist

The party was in London btw , I was just reacting to your comment about people who think black lives don't matter is a concern for you . I merely highlighted the fact that it isn't a concern for many black people either, when it involves a black person killing another black person, just aswell the racist police arrested the suspects or they'd be walking around killing or hurting more black people . Btw the victim was a strong advocate for defunding the police . Oh the irony of it all

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/sasha-johnson-shooting-peckham-police-mother-appeal-b939158.html

None of the 30 guests at a party where black equal rights campaigner Sasha Johnson was shot has come forward to give a statement, police said as they appealed for information.

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Leonard, of the Metropolitan Police, said Ms Johnson, 27, had suffered the most “profound life-changing injuries”.

She was shot in the head in a back garden in Peckham, south London, on May 23 and remains in hospital in a critical condition

DCI Leonard said: “When they get there, we’ve got a hugely chaotic situation. People were incredibly upset and in shock.
    But the reality is nobody who was at that party has come forward to give us a statement or any further information.”

He added: “I would also urge those who were at the party to make contact and tell us what you know

It is vital that we gather as much information as possible to establish what happened in the early hours of that Sunday morning and why.”

Sasha’s mother, Ellet Dalling, said: “What has happened to Sasha has left us devastated. She is currently fighting for her life in hospital with two children asking where their mummy is, what do I tell them?
    “Someone must have information to what happened and to come forward.

“Sasha is passionate about standing up for others, please come forward and stand up for Sasha.

“Come forward to help us, I know it is not always easy but imagine if it was your daughter or the mother of your children.

“I believe there are people out there that can help.”

Five males have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Four of the suspects were released on bail until a date in late June while Cameron Deriggs, 18, appeared in court charged with conspiracy to murder

I reckon if you alluded to the motte and bailey fallacy in the South Stand at Tallaght you'd probably get a slap for yourself. Terrace justice in action.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I can understand fans booing. For some, this is a token gesture against racism, but for others, it's a political statement. Dana White from the UFC recently spoke about how he keeps politics out of the sport. Perhaps he has a point. His comments start at 3:13...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Keeping politics out of sport because it's all about da money for Dana White. Anyone who says politics doesn't belong in sport is a brainless shill. Last night what those Hungarian players did was political; it was the most brave political act of all. To stand up against corporate interests and institutions like BLM who just want to exasperate the divide between people.

RESPECT.

The party was in London btw , I was just reacting to your comment about people who think black lives don't matter is a concern for you . I merely highlighted the fact that it isn't a concern for many black people either, when it involves a black person killing another black person, just aswell the racist police arrested the suspects or they'd be walking around killing or hurting more black people . Btw the victim was a strong advocate for defunding the police . Oh the irony of it all

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/sasha-johnson-shooting-peckham-police-mother-appeal-b939158.html

None of the 30 guests at a party where black equal rights campaigner Sasha Johnson was shot has come forward to give a statement, police said as they appealed for information.

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Leonard, of the Metropolitan Police, said Ms Johnson, 27, had suffered the most “profound life-changing injuries”.

She was shot in the head in a back garden in Peckham, south London, on May 23 and remains in hospital in a critical condition

DCI Leonard said: “When they get there, we’ve got a hugely chaotic situation. People were incredibly upset and in shock.
    But the reality is nobody who was at that party has come forward to give us a statement or any further information.”

He added: “I would also urge those who were at the party to make contact and tell us what you know

It is vital that we gather as much information as possible to establish what happened in the early hours of that Sunday morning and why.”

Sasha’s mother, Ellet Dalling, said: “What has happened to Sasha has left us devastated. She is currently fighting for her life in hospital with two children asking where their mummy is, what do I tell them?
    “Someone must have information to what happened and to come forward.

“Sasha is passionate about standing up for others, please come forward and stand up for Sasha.

“Come forward to help us, I know it is not always easy but imagine if it was your daughter or the mother of your children.

“I believe there are people out there that can help.”

Five males have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Four of the suspects were released on bail until a date in late June while Cameron Deriggs, 18, appeared in court charged with conspiracy to murder

Ok, it was in london, what's it got to do with anything here?

Are you trying to point out that there are bad black people? If so,I am aware of this. Not sure how me being anti-racist has anything to do with this.

As per your previous post - you are using this incident (and others i would imagine) as a reason to pre-judge all black people.. Again, not sure the relevance to the discussion but thanks for telling us that you are - indeed a racist.

Keeping politics out of sport because it's all about da money for Dana White. Anyone who says politics doesn't belong in sport is a brainless shill. Last night what those Hungarian players did was political; it was the most brave political act of all. To stand up against corporate interests and institutions like BLM who just want to exasperate the divide between people.

RESPECT.
    Thats all well and good except the Hungarian FA have banned taking the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The poster labelled themselves as a racist in the post, so... what's your point?
    None of these posters are racists

Some of them just happen to have hundreds and in some cases thousands of posts giving out about black people

Billy Mays wrote: »

Some of them just happen to have hundreds and in some cases thousands of posts giving out about black people

Ah one is, at least they say they are anyway.

Shur it's the marxists they all hate, not the blacks :pac:

Ok, it was in london, what's it got to do with anything here?

Are you trying to point out that there are bad black people? If so,I am aware of this. Not sure how me being anti-racist has anything to do with this.

As per your previous post - you are using this incident (and others i would imagine) as a reason to pre-judge all black people.. Again, not sure the relevance to the discussion but thanks for telling us that you are - indeed a racist.

Again , you said its a concern for you if people don't support blm , I highlighted the fact that a lot of black people don't support it either by their actions , but that makes me a racist in your book .

Racism exists shocker. More at 10.

Black people in general, specific black people or black lives matter?

You really need to differentiate because I'm sure you aren't purposely misrepresenting other posters on here.

I think you'll find that only the first would be considered racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

There have been plenty of other incidences in this thread where people have accused others of being racist and don't even attempt to justify it.

• Advertisement

I'm going to let you in on a little secret , it isn't white people that are going around killing black people . It's people of their own skin colour . I wonder what colour the person was, who shot BLM activist Sasha Johnson was the other week?? I give you a clue ... He wasn't white .
    Also, her mother was very upset that the 30 people who were at the party didn't help the police in anyway . They'd rather see a black man free to kill other black people than help the police . Black lives matter, it doesn't to them so why should it matter to me .... They only care if it's a white cop , so they can scream and protest , while they stick their heads in the sand while they kill each other by the thousands every year.
    Again , you said its a concern for you if people don't support blm , I highlighted the fact that a lot of black people don't support it either by their actions , but that makes me a racist in your book .

well, no, you saying that black peoples lives don't matter to you, in the post above, is what makes you a racist.

Black people in general, specific black people or black lives matter?

You really need to differentiate because I'm sure you aren't purposely misrepresenting other posters on here.

I think you'll find that only the first would be considered racist.

I don't need to, the poster did that themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I'm not racist but...

Rothko wrote: »
    There have been plenty of other incidences in this thread where people have accused others of being racist and don't even attempt to justify it.

Sure, Jan

well, no, you saying that black peoples lives don't matter to you, in the post above, is what makes you a racist.

I said if it doesn't matter to them , why should it matter to me . Which given the example I gave seems logical .

I said if it doesn't matter to them , why should it matter to me . Which given the example I gave seems logical .

logical to a racist maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    To turn your question around, why should anti-racism efforts be restricted to just what was done before? I have seen zero sign that the knee thing is the only acceptable form, just that it is another acceptable form. It's great that there are already existing programs, and hopefully there will be more - and more effective - ones in the future.

The players themselves were the ones who brought it in - not any external organisation, or indeed the FA themselves - and they're the ones playing the game, so why wouldn't they have the right to do it if they feel it's important.

I daresay the fact that it has provoked such a strong reaction in some people is proof that it was a necessary action. It's interesting that just the small extra step from the very-much background and passive 'Kick it out' campaign (as far as your average fan experience is concerned, the occasional ad on football shows), to the ever so slightly more active and up front move of visibly and physically making a gesture of support and respect, was enough to kick off the boos.

But why adopt something that was related to specific issues in the US, police brutality/BLM and bring them to Europe when there was already a seemingly effective campaign. Most people seem to be on-board with anti-racism, not so much the BLM. I am sure if some other gesture had been adopted, it would not draw the same ire.

Although at this stage, I would say it is not so much the gesture, but that it is pretty much an empty gesture that has no little to no effect, yet is being beaten to death. People get tired of being lectured too, and the people who are likely to shout abuse etc will just ignore it and if anything gives them even more of a weapon as evidenced by the booing. As I said, it seems to be now having the opposite effect to what it is supposed to be about. I have argued elsewhere, the impression I have is that the more anti-racism is pushed, the worse it seems to be getting.

I don't need to, the poster did that themselves.

I was responding to Billy mays.

There's no point in talking to you about these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

logical to a racist maybe.

Mod

Dont post in this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'd like to boo the knee I fvcked up playing football years ago. Ouch.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement