Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Is has nothing to do with them.

To quote yourself:

"You can't believe that"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

jakiah wrote: »
    Are people not allowed disagree with overt political causes being pushed as part of football matchday in their local stadiums now? I think there was a reasonable amount of goodwill for this early on but its been running for over a year now. Time to ditch it and move on.

The point of the knee is to highlight racial abuse and inequality endured by the players, is the minute they take to highlight this such an inconvenience?

What do you think 'BLM' is if it isn't highlighting the existence of racism?

It's a racist ideology/group responsible for race baiting and violent protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

It was originally to highlight the existence of racism in US policing leading to horrific treatment of black people in that country. A worthy cause. Now its about whatever you like really.

Hey at least they arent making the fans kneel, it could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Actually it's to highlight systemic racism in police forces and how that has caused innumerable unnecessary deaths. It's morphed into other things, which is why people find references to it very confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Police racism in the US I thought was their main focus.I didn’t know they were deeply involved with fighting sports racism in Britain but I could be wrong.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The current point of the knee is to highlight racial abuse and inequality endured by the players, is the minute they take to highlight this such an inconvenience?
    Fixed that for you. Who knows what it will mean next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So let's blame black people for their issues and not the systemic racism that keeps them in poverty.

I think you'll find that those issues are exclusive to black people but have been proven to be linked to poverty.

Don't try to argue otherwise. There's a mountain of scientific research and papers published to back up that up and any published material stating otherwise has been found out as lies being pushed by a racist idiot.

In Irish society, what are the main ways that systemic racism manifests itself to keep black people in poverty?

BLM represents Black people. Not racism across the board. BLM activists have zero interest in tackling Black racism against Asians in the US or elsewhere. Just as they have no interest in racism directed against Latino people. So.. no... it's not simply about racism. The focus is entirely on Black people.

It's like saying feminism is about equality... when the truth is that it's about women's rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

jakiah wrote: »
    Are people not allowed disagree with overt political causes being pushed as part of football matchday in their local stadiums now? I think there was a reasonable amount of goodwill for this early on but its been running for over a year now. Time to ditch it and move on.

And this is why it's not racist to boo it. Literally nobody disagrees with the "kick it out" campaign against racism or any other campaign over the years but the whole idea of taking the knee is too closely allied with the BLM movement...which a lot of people disagree with. Either way, politics should be kept out of sports... especially American politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Imagine booing them when they do something you disagree with and then getting on with supporting them?

Seems reasonable.

Yes, show them how much you disagree with them wanting to go about their lives without being racially abused. 'Getting on with supporting them' afterwards is almost... hypocritical?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Let's not campaign against racism cos it only leads to divisiveness icon14.png

Except that's not what I said, is it. It has been pointed out several times that there was already an anti-racism campaign happening in football. The poster I quoted claimed this campaign wasn't working.

Then the whole BLM/Kneeling stuff was brought in from the US to replace it, but as can be seen already, that is starting to prove divisive. Raises the question is it more effective than the campaign that went before if it leads to following the US path.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The point of the knee is to highlight racial abuse and inequality endured by the players, is the minute they take to highlight this such an inconvenience?

That's absolutely not what it's for.

See, nobody even knows anymore so diluted is the tokenistic message by this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Keep politics out of sport, it's in every facet of our lives these days. If they want to keep taking the knee then people will just start tuning out if they haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Excuse me? What privilege do I have? Are white people immune to racism?

It's that attitude, that of making sweeping generalisations about people because of their skin colour, which is so absolutely abhorrent and yet this statement is being made as if you are an ally for anti racism.

This kind of rhetoric is far from helpful.

Privilege is not a slur. Of course white people aren't immune to racism but there's no denying that white people don't endure the same level of racism as people of colour. I'm white I've benefitted from it. The amount of (presumably white) people on this thread saying that racism isn't that bad, that is a privilege afforded by not having been the victim of it. They had good will at the start but now it's annoying, this comes from a point of privilege from people who don't receive monkey emojis after every game. People who boo the knee are largely people who are unaffected by the issues it looks to highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Yes, show them how much you disagree with them wanting to go about their lives without being racially abused. 'Getting on with supporting them' afterwards is almost... hypocritical?

That's not what people here disagree with. You know you're strawmaning there. Come on.

Have you ever been to a football match? Fans will often abuse their own team and then celebrate wildly with them if they score shortly afterward. Expecting consistency in thought from a crowd of football fans is bizarre.

Its quite clear from this thread that nobody even agrees what taking the knee is about. How can you expect some rational, normalised response across all football fans across the whole of Europe?

Crazy stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

dog_pig wrote: »
    In Irish society, what are the main ways that systemic racism manifests itself to keep black people in poverty?

Strawman argument. I never said it was about racism in Ireland.

And anyway Ireland isn't perfect but it's a far better place when it comes to racism than the far right nightmare Hungary is in right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Let's not campaign against racism cos it only leads to divisiveness icon14.png

Billy Mays clearly just on the wind up now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

That's not what people here disagree with. You know you're strawmaning there. Come on.

That's why they said they're kneeling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Keep politics out of sport, it's in every facet of our lives these days. If they want to keep taking the knee then people will just start tuning out if they haven't already.

It’s so engrained now it will be hard to go back. I couldn’t see them banning all the poppy stuff at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bit of leap there to assume the people are booing are racist. I'm sure there's some, as I'm sure there are a few that have taken the knee themselves. An unwillingness to try to understand why people might legitimately have an issue with all that the knee represents, and to simply label anyone who opposes your viewpoint as racist, only serves to contribute to the polarization we see these days.

It's because if you are against taking the knee you are one of two things:

1. A racist
    2. Someone that has willingly or been gullibly enough to swallow the far right propoganda that the blm movement is some kind of organisation with terrorist/Marxist beliefs.

Both of these are bad.

Privilege is not a slur. Of course white people aren't immune to racism but there's no denying that white people don't endure the same level of racism as people of colour. I'm white I've benefitted from it. The amount of (presumably white) people on this thread saying that racism isn't that bad, that is a privilege afforded by not having been the victim of it. They had good will at the start but now it's annoying, this comes from a point of privilege from people who don't receive monkey emojis after every game. People who boo the knee are largely people who are unaffected by the issues it looks to highlight.
    Your average football fan is far from 'privileged', what a crazy take. Socio-economic disadvantage is the number one cause of inequality in society, not racism. Nobody is kneeling for that.

Another example of framing my words to suit your narrative.

It's perfectly acceptable to boo a team who you think are making a politically/socially motivated stance which you have legitimate and non racist concerns about.

Why did you frame it that I am suggesting we boo black players for not wanting to be racially abused?

That's not true, and is exactly what I did not say throughout the course of this thread.

People booing the knee taking aren't necessarily racist. I'm sure there are one or two, as racism exists. The majority of people I have spoken to are booing because of the knee taking and its association with BLM, not because they hate the black people.

1. A racist
    2. Someone that has willingly or been gullibly enough to swallow the far right propoganda that the blm movement is some kind of organisation with terrorist/Marxist beliefs.

Both of these are bad.

That is completely incorrect and frankly insulting. Not to me, but to yourself.

You pretty much have said "if you don't agree with me on BLM you are a racist or stupid".

Do you suffer racism on a daily basis?

Another example of framing my words to suit your narrative.

It's perfectly acceptable to boo a team who you think are making a politically/socially motivated stance which you have legitimate and non racist concerns about.

Why did you frame it that I am suggesting we boo black players for not wanting to be racially abused?

That's not true, and is exactly what I did not say throughout the course of this thread.

People booing the knee taking aren't necessarily racist. I'm sure there are one or two, as racism exists. The majority of people I have spoken to are booing because of the knee taking and its association with BLM, not because they hate the black people.

And those people booing because of an association with BLM are the Gullible that have fallen for far right racist propaganda and are therefore also racist even if they believe they aren't.

As in 'im not racist but...'

1. A racist

Both of these are bad.
    You know people have patiently explained to you that there are other reasons for objecting to football authorities pushing divisive politics into the official matchday, you just dont want to know.

You are the equivalent to the braindead oik calling everyone anti-British and pro-IRA for saying poppies shouldnt be in there either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

And anyway Ireland isn't perfect but it's a far better place when it comes to racism than the far right nightmare Hungary is in right now.

Hungary is like Ireland 30 years ago a homogenous society with very low amounts of immigration so hardly a "far right nightmare". Hungary has simply stated along with other Eastern European countries that it will not be following Western Europe in the path when it comes to immigration policy.

Hungary has its own history. It was colonised by the ottomans. Therefore it’s hardly going to jump on board the yank ideology of white guilt. Neither should we but, as we have seen from the posters here, we have.

Not that that ideology of “white guilt” stops the yanks from mass genocide and imperialism. It’s anti racism at home, support for Israeli supremacy abroad, virulent sinophobia and hatred for Iran along with interference in South America, the destruction of the Middle East. The litany of recent crimes goes on and on.

• Advertisement

You pretty much have said "if you don't agree with me on BLM you are a racist or stupid".

But I'm right. They have fallen for right wing propaganda. It's not my fault these people can't see that.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/nation-world/2020/07/22/politifact-is-black-lives-matter-a-marxist-movement/

I don't make the rules.

Advertisement