Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

jakiah wrote: »
    Your average football fan is far from 'privileged', what a crazy take. Socio-economic disadvantage is the number one cause of inequality in society, not racism. Nobody is kneeling for that.

The knee isn't about socio-economic disadvantage though is it, it's about racism and racist abuse which white people (ragsrdless of background) do not experience to the same extent. Again more whataboutery to undermine the actual cause.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Privilege is not a slur. Of course white people aren't immune to racism but there's no denying that white people don't endure the same level of racism as people of colour. I'm white I've benefitted from it. The amount of (presumably white) people on this thread saying that racism isn't that bad, that is a privilege afforded by not having been the victim of it. They had good will at the start but now it's annoying, this comes from a point of privilege from people who don't receive monkey emojis after every game. People who boo the knee are largely people who are unaffected by the issues it looks to highlight.

Again, that's not true and an assumption on your part.

I refuse to acknowledge any white privilege and think it's disgusting to assume anything based on skin colour.

And you say that people on here have being saying racism isn't bad? Can you point out examples? Most people have been denouncing racism.

It's a privilege to not receive monkey emojis. Erm, ok. Is that a privilege not also shared by Asian people? Why is it white privilege? If that's an example of what you believe white privilege to be, then white privilege is more of a nonsense than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

That's not what people here disagree with. You know you're strawmaning there. Come on.

That's exactly the reason why they said that they're kneeling!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But I'm right. They have fallen for right wing propaganda. It's not my fault these people can't see that.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/nation-world/2020/07/22/politifact-is-black-lives-matter-a-marxist-movement/

I don't make the rules.

Whether it’s Marxist or not (it isn’t) it’s an American produced ideology. The real reason the killing of Floyd became world news is because of US power. It’s a distraction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You know people have patiently explained to you that there are other reasons for objecting to football authorities pushing divisive politics into the official matchday, you just dont want to know.

True. And their explanations don't check out and entirely provable to be based on prejudice. See the last article I linked to.

• Advertisement

Privilege is not a slur. Of course white people aren't immune to racism but there's no denying that white people don't endure the same level of racism as people of colour. I'm white I've benefitted from it. The amount of (presumably white) people on this thread saying that racism isn't that bad, that is a privilege afforded by not having been the victim of it. They had good will at the start but now it's annoying, this comes from a point of privilege from people who don't receive monkey emojis after every game. People who boo the knee are largely people who are unaffected by the issues it looks to highlight.

Total yank colonisation here.

Do you even know what country you are living in?

American whites are not the same as Irish whites. Irish players are abused in Britain. The Irish Catholic manager Neil Lennon was attacked by bottles, coins and threatened all the time while in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

It's because if you are against taking the knee you are one of two things:

1. A racist
    2. Someone that has willingly or been gullibly enough to swallow the far right propoganda that the blm movement is some kind of organisation with terrorist/Marxist beliefs.

Both of these are bad.

To reduce it down to that is a shockingly limited perspective TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

True. And their explanations don't check out and entirely provable to be based on prejudice. See the last article I linked to.
    Do you support the British Legions' jinogistic, nationalist poppy campaign at football matches in the UK?

But I'm right. They have fallen for right wing propaganda. It's not my fault these people can't see that.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/nation-world/2020/07/22/politifact-is-black-lives-matter-a-marxist-movement/

I don't make the rules.

You couldn't be further from correct if you tried.

Again, how much racism do you combat on a daily basis and I'll ask one more time, why do you consider me a racist despite not being able to show one shred of proof?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do you support the British Legions' jinogistic, nationalist poppy campaign at football matches in the UK?

Strawman argument. We aren't talking about this.

• Advertisement

Again, that's not true and an assumption on your part.

I refuse to acknowledge any white privilege and think it's disgusting to assume anything based on skin colour.

And you say that people on here have being saying racism isn't bad? Can you point out examples? Most people have been denouncing racism.

It's a privilege to not receive monkey emojis. Erm, ok. Is that a privilege not also shared by Asian people? Why is it white privilege? If that's an example of what you believe white privilege to be, then white privilege is more of a nonsense than I thought.

Do you think white people receive as much racist abuse as black people?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

That's exactly the reason why they said that they're kneeling!

The issue isn't with what the players say. The issue is with the knee, which has a broader meaning than what some players might have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Bit of leap there to assume the people are booing are racist.

Bit of a leap to assume this is what I was saying.

LOL, youre a ****ing spoofer.

You dont support it do you? (Spoiler: I dont either) Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

In Ireland, white travellers receive far more racist abuse in general than black people living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

1. A racist
    2. Someone that has willingly or been gullibly enough to swallow the far right propoganda that the blm movement is some kind of organisation with terrorist/Marxist beliefs.

Both of these are bad.

Misrepresenting your opponents is a cardinal sin. I can’t believe it doesn’t extend to your politics.

No I don't. Is that a privilege? That in a majority white country there will undoubtedly be more racism against minorities?

That's a privilege?
    What other privilege do white people have? I'm genuinely interested now.

I believe white people get it a lot worse in majority-black countries, than black people in majority-white countries.

Total yank colonisation here.

Do you even know what country you are living in?

American whites are not the same as Irish whites. Irish players are abused in Britain. The Irish Catholic manager Neil Lennon was attacked by bottles, coins and threatened all the time while in Scotland.

So you would support Irish players taking a knee against racism.

LOL, youre a ****ing spoofer.

You dont support it do you? (Spoiler: I dont either) Why not?

It's because strawmen arguments divert the discussion.

If you want to know if someone decides to not wear the poppy for their own personal beliefs and those beliefs aren't based on hate then I don't think they deserve abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

jackboy wrote: »
    In Ireland, white travellers receive far more racist abuse in general than black people living in Ireland.
    Jaysus, don't get the lads started on the travellers aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

:confused:
    Strawman argument. I never said it was about racism in Ireland.

And anyway Ireland isn't perfect but it's a far better place when it comes to racism than the far right nightmare Hungary is in right now.

Strawman?

When you said:
    So let's blame black people for their issues and not the systemic racism that keeps them in poverty.

I was supposed to assume you weren’t talking about Ireland? We’re on an Irish discussion board and the thread’s OP specifically referenced the Irish soccer team.

What should I have assumed instead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The knee isn't about socio-economic disadvantage though is it, it's about racism and racist abuse which white people (ragsrdless of background) do not experience to the same extent. Again more whataboutery to undermine the actual cause.

Is it that not what groups like Kick It Out are for? Kick It Out have been active in UK football for many years and no one has had an issue. I didn't see fans booing when players posed for a picture with a Say No to Racism banner before games at the last World Cup.

We are talking about what we are talking about. The issue is the political knee taking in football. It’s perfectly reasonable to ask about other ignored racisms in the U.K. particularly when the colonised come in with their “of course white people wouldn’t experience racism” despite the clear and obvious attacks on mcclean,Lennon and others.

Do you think black people being racist against white people is tolerated more and is more acceptable in society than white on black racism?

By your logic, is that not black privilege?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

If the players and team are so serious about racism , why don’t they give 20% of their overall ludicrous salary towards initiatives to fight racism , rather than sickening the bolox of fans who paid too much to have to be spend 20 mins looking at such fake nonsensical attention seeking bull**** . I bet if all the professional teams and players paid towards initiatives it would achieve more ... come on lads... put your money where your mouth is

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

1. A racist

Both of these are bad.

Sorry, you don’t get to decide what people are... it’s seriously immature of you to believe otherwise..

Plenty of people are against it, don’t like it, believe it’s whatever, that doesn’t make them racist... I suggest you go and educate yourself as to what a racist is by actual definition rather then what you want to believe it is. In turn that you want to accuse people of it...

It's because strawmen arguments divert the discussion.

If you want to know if someone decides to not wear the poppy for their own personal beliefs and those beliefs aren't based on hate then I don't think they deserve abuse.
    Im not talking about someone wearing a poppy, Im talking about the football authorites in the UK introducting poppy 'celebrations' directly into the official matchday in senior football there. A directly comparable situation to this one.

You are a hypocrite.

dog_pig wrote: »
    :confused:

Strawman?

When you said:

I was supposed to assume you weren’t talking about Ireland? We’re on an Irish discussion board and the thread’s OP specifically referenced the Irish soccer team.

What should I have assumed instead?

That racism isn't confined to Ireland?

• Advertisement

No I don't. Is that a privilege? That in a majority white country there will undoubtedly be more racism against minorities?

That's a privilege?
    What other privilege do white people have? I'm genuinely interested now.

Let's narrow it down, do you think a white football player in England will get the same level of racial abuse as a black player? Do you think it would be anywhere near the same level?

Advertisement