Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

FunLover18 wrote: »
    So you would support Irish players taking a knee against racism.

You mean anti Irish racism. Yes. And maybe fly a Palestinian flag. Or other examples of western hypocrisy.

Except that’s banned. Isn’t it. The only thing that matters is the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

LillySV wrote: »
    If the players and team are so serious about racism , why don’t they give 20% of their overall ludicrous salary towards initiatives to fight racism , rather than sickening the bolox of fans who paid too much to have to be spend 20 mins looking at such fake nonsensical attention seeking bull**** . I bet if all the professional teams and players paid towards initiatives it would achieve more ... come on lads... put your money where your mouth is
    They're only kneeling for 5 seconds mate

20 minutes :pac: :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do you think black people being racist against white people is tolerated more and is more acceptable in society than white on black racism?

By your logic, is that not black privilege?

I already said I'm against racism in all it's forms.

Let's narrow it down, do you think a white football player in England will get the same level of racial abuse as a black player? Do you think it would be anywhere near the same level?

Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

LillySV wrote: »
    If the players and team are so serious about racism , why don’t they give 20% of their overall ludicrous salary towards initiatives to fight racism , rather than sickening the bolox of fans who paid too much to have to be spend 20 mins looking at such fake nonsensical attention seeking bull**** . I bet if all the professional teams and players paid towards initiatives it would achieve more ... come on lads... put your money where your mouth is

FFS. 20 Minutes?

Talk about being over-dramatic. Although it probably feels like that if you get worked up enough about it.

• Advertisement

Hungary has its own history. It was colonised by the ottomans. Therefore it’s hardly going to jump on board the yank ideology of white guilt. Neither should we but, as we have seen from the posters here, we have.

Not that that ideology of “white guilt” stops the yanks from mass genocide and imperialism. It’s anti racism at home, support for Israeli supremacy abroad, virulent sinophobia and hatred for Iran along with interference in South America, the destruction of the Middle East. The litany of recent crimes goes on and on.

Colonized by the ottomans until 300 years ago.

You clearly missed the Austro-Hungarian empire and the fact that a lot of Hungarian football fans refuse to acknowledge the anthems of Czechia and Slovakia, as they consider it to still be part of their rightful territory.

Let's narrow it down, do you think a white football player in England will get the same level of racial abuse as a black player? Do you think it would be anywhere near the same level?

Not at all. The black player will receive much more racist abuse. Again, is that privilege?

Well then are we in agreement that racist treatment against black people in football will be taken more seriously and dealt with much more effectively and with more fervently than racism against white people.

Is that privilege?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Are you against the poppy being shoehorned into UK matchday proceedings in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Billy Mays wrote: »
    They're only kneeling for 5 seconds mate

20 minutes :pac: :pac:

Go back and count haha... 20 mins might be a stretch but it’s longer than 5 secs! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

jakiah wrote: »
    I cant help feel its the division and anger that they are really after.

Of course, that’s why they and their ilk are chomping at the bit to accuse anyone who simply questions it as racist. Either you are with us or against us is their mantra, if they haven’t learned from intolerance and using the media to try and spread prejudice, misinformation, discrimination, or antagonism ... to win an argument....I give up, jeez :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Im not talking about someone wearing a poppy, Im talking about the football authorites in the UK introducting poppy 'celebrations' directly into the official matchday in senior football there. A directly comparable situation to this one.

You are a hypocrite.

This is on me. I answered a strawman argument and got this nonsense thrown back in my face.

This is why I've been pointing out strawman arguments to avoid this nonsense.

Read over my post. I never said any of that. You made that up about me because you wanted a way to call me a hypocrite.

Nice try.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

fvp4 wrote: »
    You mean anti Irish racism. Yes. And maybe fly a Palestinian flag. Or other examples of western hypocrisy.

Except that’s banned. Isn’t it. The only thing that matters is the US.

Do you really think that people are kneeling before matches in England or Europe because of something that is going on in the US?

Absolutely, US events drew attention but from that point forward it was recognized that if they are doing such in the US to protest against issues there, it was an appropriate way to protest against issues elsewhere without it being all about the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

FFS. 20 Minutes?

Talk about being over-dramatic. Although it probably feels like that if you get worked up enough about it.

Haha I don’t get worked up over it ... I never watch soccer... a pack of sissies falling down crying for 90 mins ... no thanks haha

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Well then are we in agreement that racist treatment against black people in football will be taken more seriously and dealt with much more effectively and with more fervently than racism against white people.

Lol!

Are you against the poppy being shoehorned into UK matchday proceedings in the UK?

Strawman argument. We aren't talking about this.

This is on me. I answered a strawman argument and got this nonsense thrown back in my face.

This is why I've been pointing out strawman arguments to avoid this nonsense.

Read over my post. I never said any of that. You made that up about me because you wanted a way to call me a hypocrite.

Nice try.
    You cannot grasp that someone who opposes BLM protests at football might not be a racist in the same way that someone who opposes poppy pagentry might not be a provo, becuase you are a screaming hypocrite.

Lol.

You wont answer a direct question throughout the thread and then answer a question directed to someone else.

But you aren't against racism in all forms. Unbeknownst to you, your stance of assuming that people of colour are oppressed and need your protection is quite racist in and of itself.

You are only against what your narrow view of what you consider racism to be. Again, how much experience to you face in your day to day life or how much actual anti racist work do you do?

Aegir wrote: »
    Colonized by the ottomans until 500 years ago.

You clearly missed the Austro-Hungarian empire

More of an alliance than an empire.

[/quote]and the fact that a lot of Hungarian football fans refuse to acknowledge the anthems of Czechia and Slovakia, as they consider it to still be part of their rightful territory.[/QUOTE]

And people from Scotland sing the Famine song, and the English sing "No Surrender to the Ira", and once smashed up Landsdowne road because they were in Ireland.

The point is that all these places have different histories.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Lol!

Do you disagree that racism against black people is taken more seriously than racism against white people?

Bizarre. I thought that would have been a given

You are only against what your narrow view of what you consider racism to be. Again, how much experience to you face in your day to day life or how much actual anti racist work do you do?

Strawman argument and getting personal. Please stop.

• Advertisement

.....your stance of assuming that people of colour are oppressed and need your protection is quite racist in and of itself.

Incredible!

It's because if you are against the poppy you are one of two things:

1. A provo
    2. Someone that has willingly or been gullibly enough to swallow An Phoblacht propoganda that the poppy movement is some kind of organisation with jingoistic/nationalistic beliefs.

Both of these are bad.

Do you disagree that racism against black people is taken more seriously than racism against white people?

Bizarre. I thought that would have been a given

I disagree.

We are in fact talking about political actions in British and European football.

If anything McClean is a British/Irish Kaepernick, and if wokeness weren't just performative maybe his colleagues would have taken the knee or refused to wear the poppy. Britain football, politically correct 11 months of the year, politically fascist in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It's because if you are against taking the knee you are one of two things:

1. A racist
    2. Someone that has willingly or been gullibly enough to swallow the far right propoganda that the blm movement is some kind of organisation with terrorist/Marxist beliefs.

Both of these are bad.

So Les Ferdinand is a racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Do you really think that people are kneeling before matches in England or Europe because of something that is going on in the US?

Absolutely, US events drew attention but from that point forward it was recognized that if they are doing such in the US to protest against issues there, it was an appropriate way to protest against issues elsewhere without it being all about the US.

But once again, there was already an anti-racism campaign in place within football so why the need to replace it with the US version which was much more focused on police brutality against blacks and systemic racism within the US. It went from Anti-Racism to BLM, but is apparently back to anti-racism whilst keeping the BLM salutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Personally this Knee nonsense is becoming tiresome and cringe enducing. Most of the players taking the knee couldn't give a flying S**** about equality. Its just getting silly and embarrassing now. I'm not defending the moronic Hungarian fans who more likely thought the gesture was an exercise routine, not being very bright etc etc :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Strawman argument and getting personal. Please stop.

My apologies, I did not mean to be personal. I am genuinely intrigued as to how your view of racism and what it is has been formed.

I of course do not demand you answer, I just wanted to try to understand your take because where I am coming from, I am finding it increasingly hard to understand your reasoning (,,or lack thereof).

You mentioned you are against all types of racism, (as did I) and somehow though, you still think it's acceptable to allude that I am racist, despite not knowing anything about me except my views on here which nobody has been able to give an example of why it could be called racist.

And to be fair, it's a little rich to tell me not to be personal when you have made various different comments pretty much calling me a racist.

But you've asked me to stop, so I will.

But once again, there was already an anti-racism campaign in place within football so why the need to replace it .........

Show me the thread in Current Affairs on Kick It Out coming up to 1000 posts and you'll find your answer there.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Lol!

Incredible!

The quality in your posts is fading badly MrStuffins.

Advertisement