Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

https://timeline.com/british-soccer-players-give-nazi-salute-1cc5a50ea451

History seems to repeat... For some , this is where we're heading

Ironically that is the other end of the spectrum. Footballers giving a Nazi salute because it was the 'done thing' for the sake of diplomacy. I sincerely doubt that all those footballers were fans of the Nazism. They were ordered to do it. It was pure symbolism.

'Taking the knee' is also now 'ordered' in fashion by peer pressure and the modern 'moral police' of the internet age.

I am sure a lot of those 'taking the knee' are thinking things like that right winger likes to cut in on his left foot, we need to start strong here today, make or break.

Nothing to do with race or events in America most of the players just want to get on with it. Like when I was a young fella at lunch time we rattled through those prayers as fast as we could. It was 'in the way' of the main event lunch!

The 'taking the knee' is 'in the way' of the main event the football match. It does nothing to add to occasion whatsoever. Might make a good photo opportunity that is about it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No police charge but also no FA charge. Honestly, if a white player said "**** off black boy" to a black ball boy there would be rightful outrage.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/02/ex-england-star-trevor-sinclair-admits-drink-driving-and-racial-abuse

Trevor Sinclair racially abuses a police man arresting him for drink driving. He's still working in football on TalkSport.

John Terry is another prime example , especially when it comes to racism he was defended by the FA at the time they even wanted to keep him as England captain ,yet anto Ferdinand was treated as the aggressor when he was the victim of Terry

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And those people booing because of an association with BLM are the Gullible that have fallen for far right racist propaganda and are therefore also racist even if they believe they aren't.

As in 'im not racist but...'

Where do I fit in? I''m not a racist. There's no "but" following that statement.

And as for BLM, I've stated a number of things previously (some of which are negatives about the movement), which haven't been countered by anyone on the thread, none of which are influenced by "far right propaganda".

The sad thing (for a movement that is supposedly about civil rights) is that BLM has shown itself to be it's own worst enemy. There's no need for right wing propaganda to be involved, for people to question the worth of such a movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Do you see any conflict in the 2 bits in Bold?

To speak to your combating racism. You are absolutely correct. It must happen at a young age. And currently a lad may come from a morally upstanding home but see his peers being racist at a match and think that that's cool or whatever.

Is it not much better if he isn't exposed to such behaviour?

I don't get the point in the first line and last line. There will always be racism and all sorts of other isms. They are part of life. Some people grow out of them, some people are always tolerant, and some people will never be tolerant.

That is just the way society is. The taking the knee thing to me is just a sign of an Americanism of racism, faux outrage, and fanned by the internet. All in the pretence of making a difference.

In a way the 'taking the knee' issue has become an inverse racism issue. As it is left to some black players to say how daft it is. Pasty white lads are left in the position to keep the head down and tow the line. They have sponsors and careers to think of.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They can't reveal themselves when everyone is wearing masks .

I'd say the venn diagram of those booing kneeling players and those protesting against masks is a single circle.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭propertyseeker

ypres5 wrote: »
    Anyone caught booing taking the knee should be issued a lifetime ban. It should be easier pick them out in a socially distanced stadium. If they've a problem with black players and colleagues fighting oppression then they'd best stay home.

Seek help. In Poland we have a name for BLM groups.....they are the real facists

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

BLM is a radical reactionary group that participate in acts that could be described as terror (riots etc. In the US)
    Is "radical reactionary" like "far left wing far right wing"?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Thread is beyond TLDR at this stage. My 2 cents.

- The ROI team have no place taking a knee in honour of a militant Marxist movement that almost exclusively seeks to make martyrs of people who die or are injured at the hands of police who, in pretty much every single case, was a person of very dubious character. It has never happened here before and 200 years from now it is extremely unlikely that a black person in Ireland will have died due to unprovoked, heavy handed Garda response.

- After 45 years of Communism most Hungarians are fairly averse to it. Some outraged PBP voting 32 year old college student reading this from the garden of the family pile in Rathgar wouldn't understand the frustration.

Since the BLM movement started you could write the names of people of good character who died in police interactions that were not of their own making on the back of a postage stamp.

Thread is beyond TLDR at this stage. My 2 cents.

- The ROI team have no place taking a knee in honour of a militant Marxist movement that almost exclusively seeks to make martyrs of people who die or are injured at the hands of police who, in pretty much every single case, was a person of very dubious character. It has never happened here before and 200 years from now it is extremely unlikely that a black person in Ireland will have died due to unprovoked, heavy handed Garda response.

- After 45 years of Communism most Hungarians are fairly averse to it. Some outraged PBP voting 32 year old college student reading this from the garden of the family pile in Rathgar wouldn't understand the frustration.

Since the BLM movement started you could write the names of people of good character who died in police interactions that were not of their own making on the back of a postage stamp.

You should read the thread, you'd at least then be more informed as to what is going on than you are now.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'm sure black people and minorites are thrilled that whilst they may get more racial abuse, it is at least taken more seriously. And let's be clear by "more seriously" we're talking about their movements to highlight racism being booed and labeled as woke politics, and people saying what out this social injustice and what about that one. Jeez, they're so lucky.

If you want to, again, misrepresent what I said, I never said anyone should be happy to receive any racial abuse.

And yes, let's be clear, any BLM type movement which paint minorities as victims that need a dig out and especially people who claim to be more privileged than the perceived victims who will gladly kneel in solidarity is just as upsetting and belittling as racism itself.

For someone who claims to be a bastion of good in a deeply racist society, treating black people as equals and not some homogeneous group who needs lifting may be the way forward.

Using the kneeling protest which is undoubtedly associated with BLM will never help racial equality.

Yes people will be racist. It's up to society to not accept it in the mainstream. Racism is not tolerated. Constant bombardment that it exists (we know it does) and false accusations that if white people don't kneel, they obviously hate blacks is doing nothing but divide races further.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭propertyseeker

You should read the thread, you'd at least then be more informed as to what is going on than you are now.

No he is spot on. Hungary can smell commie facists miles away.

Thread can be closed. There should be no expectation for Ireland to support a radical left terrorist group that claim to be anti-racist when in reality they martyr criminals and cause terror under the guise of "anti-racism".

Racism should be stopped but BLM or taking the knee stupidity does nothing to stop it.

I'd say the venn diagram of those booing kneeling players and those protesting against masks is a single circle.

And that's what we call a baseless assumption and a blanket generalisation

• Registered Users Posts: 56,300 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Maybe I’m just a tad too cynical..

But this knee business really is fake woke bollix!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No he is spot on. Hungary can smell commie facists miles away.

Thread can be closed. There should be no expectation for Ireland to support a radical left terrorist group that claim to be anti-racist when in reality they martyr criminals and cause terror under the guise of "anti-racism".

Racism should be stopped but BLM or taking the knee stupidity does nothing to stop it.

There is no central Black Lives Matter group or organisation. This is where strong opponents of the knee gesture are being deceitful - it's an international movement or awareness campaign. People don't join it or become members. Talk of the movement being a terrorist group or Marxists or Communists or whatever is a total red herring.

Does anyone believe the 11 Irish footballers who took the knee last night are closet Marxists or terrorists?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Pretty sure the sativa repeal the 8th protests worked in a similar way and brought about change. That's historic evidence that protests can lead to change.

Plenty of people thought using Savita's pictures in that campaign was disgusting and disgraceful as well. Same old cliches of it not going to work and people will get fed up and people will see through it etc etc etc.

Same nonsense here. Making up issues and deflections from what the message is.

What baffles me the most is that a bunch of players taking a knee for 5 seconds doesn't impact these people in any way, shape or form but yet seem so incensed about it. It's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Its a load of bollox it solves nothing and does very little. Were they ordered to do it or what?
    I wonder do blm when they are rioting and burning down shops and other people's property.
    The media have a huge amount to answer for in all this as well.
    Taking the knee my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Strawman argument and getting personal. Please stop.

Says the guy who calls others racist but refuses to back it up. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't think anyone should ever have to take a knee to anyone. Personally, there isn't a single person in this world I would take a knee or bow before, and that would be my main reason for not taking one. Regardless of why it's done now, I bend to no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

The division/aggression between people in this thread is exactly what the BLM movement set out to achieve. They knew full well that kneeling down during the national anthem would piss people off and draw negative attention, with which they clearly take and frame as "Racism!"

The dog in the street can see it for what it is.

Strazdas wrote: »
    There is no central Black Lives Matter group or organisation. This is where strong opponents of the knee gesture are being deceitful - it's an international movement or awareness campaign. People don't join it or become members. Talk of the movement being a terrorist group or Marxists or Communists or whatever is a total red herring.

It's similar to a Franchise. There is a core/central organisation, which came from the original creators of the movement, and then, there's "chapters" which are associated, sometimes officially, but also unofficially. The advantage being that the core group can deny the actions of associated chapters as being representative of the overall movement, while also taking kudos for other chapters behavior.

BLM operates under the belief that activism and protesting, are not successful when done peacefully. Attention needs to be grabbed, and held. Which is why we hear so much rhetoric about burning down the system. which was followed by the destruction of property, "returning" wealth to those who, apparently, needed it.

BLM does not follow in the steps of MLK. They follow in the steps of the Black Panthers. An approach to civil rights that is more militant than peaceful... so, yes, they're definitely open for criticism.

• Advertisement

BLM does not follow in the steps of MLK. They follow in the steps of the Black Panthers. An approach to civil rights that is more militant than peaceful... so, yes, they're definitely open for criticism.

93% of Black Lives Matter protests were peaceful as of September 5th - TIME

More militant than peaceful...

And that's what we call a baseless assumption and a blanket generalisation

Lol.

He's talking about baseless assumptions and blanket generalisations in a discussion where most against BLM type protests are suggesting everyone supporting the kneeling footballers are Marxists advocating communism.

Here's something based on facts.
    Why are many of the voices here against kneeling footballers also prominent in decrying multiculturalism and BLM protests in America?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Faugheen wrote: »

What baffles me the most is that a bunch of players taking a knee for 5 seconds doesn't impact these people in any way, shape or form but yet seem so incensed about it. It's hilarious.

That's only one part of what's funny. I don't know if you missed all that shíte about marxism from people who really shouldn't be using such big words. These aren't political science grads for sure - more like people who watched a Jordan Peterson video and now think they're smart.

There was also some stuff about "respecting the game" - as if a soccer game was some solemn occasion showcasing flawless integrity among players, officials and fans alike. Yeah, pull the other one. We've all seen soccer and respect is not its strong suit.

Faugheen wrote: »
    93% of Black Lives Matter protests were peaceful as of September 5th - TIME

More militant than peaceful...

I'd say that the aggressive attitudes on this thread show the militant side of BLM supporters. Militant doesn't have to mean physical violence.

I'd say that the aggressive attitudes on this thread show the militant side of BLM supporters. Militant doesn't have to mean physical violence.

Aggressive?

People who support that movement are labelled as Marxists, Communists, terrorists and militants in this very thread.

You going to really talk about people being aggressive?

Well if we take words and define them to be something else we might as well get back up the trees flinging shít at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Amazing how not one of the players didn't take the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I don't think anyone should ever have to take a knee to anyone. Personally, there isn't a single person in this world I would take a knee or bow before, and that would be my main reason for not taking one. Regardless of why it's done now, I bend to no one.

No one is bowing to anyone.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Amazing how not one of the players didn't take the knee.

Teams often work in unison toward a shared objective. Not very amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Like most of these US-imported, social media led "crusades" I have very little time for it. I'm sick of every societal or identity politics issue from America being foisted on countries and cultures where it has no relevance, and ultimately only stokes the division it claims to be against.

America's issues are not our problem and we shouldn't have to apologise for them, or change our practises because of them. We have more than enough issues of our own that we could/should be dealing with.

Advertisement