Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

Faugheen wrote: »
    Aggressive?

People who support that movement are labelled as Marxists, Communists, terrorists and militants in this very thread.

You going to really talk about people being aggressive?

Which would you prefer being called... a Racist or a Marxist (insert whichever one you want)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Like most of these US-imported, social media led "crusades" I have very little time for it. I'm sick of every societal or identity politics issue from America being foisted on countries and cultures where it has no relevance, and ultimately only stokes the division it claims to be against.

America's issues are not our problem and we shouldn't have to apologise for them, or change our practises because of them. We have more than enough issues of our own that we could/should be dealing with.

Not a fan either but if this is what they want to do to raise awareness about racism in soccer, it's fairly harmless.

Well if we take words and define them to be something else we might as well get back up the trees flinging shít at each other.

"favoring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause."

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Teams often work in unison toward a shared objective. Not very amazing.

Why should they work in unison to take the knee?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

White on black violence is more than often labelled as a racist attack........

So, yes you are assuming? Thought so!

• Advertisement

Seek help. In Poland we have a name for BLM groups.....they are the real facists

Makumba?

I wasn't advocating for what they did - merely pointing out that teams often do things together. It's sort of why they exist, which is why I wouldn't consider a team doing something together to be amazing. Amazing is a word to describe something out of the ordinary and not such a good word to describe something that is in the very nature of what a team does.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

This Clown World gesture in Budapest last night just got a little more interesting. Apparently it was Bohs committee who put pressure on the FAI to force the Ireland team to do this.

In case you haven't been following events. Bohemians have lost all their traditional working class supporter base and replaced them with Woke Lefties and other virtue signalesque type. It has been a successful move for the club as they have gained a huge supporter base from Hipsters in Stoneybatter. But they now seem to be acting as a political front for ANTIFA/BLM in Dublin.

Should be interesting when they play Rovers in Tallaght on Friday... Live on TV too. I'll be watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

This Clown World gesture in Budapest last night just got a little more interesting. Apparently it was Bohs committee who put pressure on the FAI to force the Ireland team to do this.

In case you haven't been following events. Bohemians have lost all their traditional working class supporter base and replaced them with Woke Lefties and other virtue signalesque type. It has been a successful move for the club as they have gained a huge supporter base from Hipsters in Stoneybatter. But they now seem to be acting a front for ANTIFA/BLM in Dublin.

Should be interesting when they play Rovers in Tallaght on Friday... Live on TV too. I'll be watching!

i wondered about ireland last night alright. adam idah did a post match interview and he was saying the booing was a disgrace. he then went on to say that the players were informed they would be taking the knee a few hours before kick off.

the players obviously weren't too pushed if thats the case. wonder who compelled them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Ahwell

As the manager said, the squad discussed it and decided to take the knee. It was a collective decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ahwell wrote: »
    As the manager said, the squad discussed it and decided to take the knee. It was a collective decision.

Were they not told first ,that's not a collective decision that's being told to by the fai

• Registered Users Posts: 33,844 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the people taking the knee have a valid reason for doing so.

The people booing them are a big part of that reason.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

In case you haven't been following events. Bohemians have lost all their traditional working class supporter base and replaced them with Woke Lefties and other virtue signalesque type. It has been a successful move for the club as they have gained a huge supporter base from Hipsters in Stoneybatter. But they now seem to be acting as a political front for ANTIFA/BLM in Dublin.

Couldn't be any more wrong on any of this. Including the fixture schedule...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Strazdas wrote: »
    By who? Also, they would be cheered to the rafters by the right wing press in Britain.....which is probably the 'real' reason they wouldn't do it, no footballer would want to be cheered on by that bunch of wasters and reprobates).

By the media and by myriad commentators on social media, obviously. There’s a slim chance it would go unnoticed. No player would take that risk.

You left out words like Commie, Marxist and snowflake to name but a few. That being said, I'm somewhat impressed with your use of "virtue signalesque". Haven't seen that one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Penn wrote: »

what is the valid reason, and why are the people booing it part of that valid reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

bfa1509 wrote: »
    They knew full well that kneeling down during the national anthem would piss people off and draw negative attention, with which they clearly take and frame as "Racism!"

Wait, they do it during the national anthem (I don't watch sports, at least not live anyway)? I thought the whole idea that during the national anthem you stand up to "salute" the flag/your country? Whatever about any other time, but during the NA is a disgrace imo.
    No one is bowing to anyone.

Bowing, taking the knee, you're basically lowering yourself in front of others, and that's not something I do. I have others that already lower me enough, I don't need to add to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Gatling wrote: »
    Were they not told first ,that's not a collective decision that's being told to by the fai

This was not a FA initiative. The original idea to take the knee last year was proposed by a group of Premier League captains and PFA representatives.

what is the valid reason, and why are the people booing it part of that valid reason?

Probably because those booing are more annoyed by an effort to raise awareness of racism than the actual racism experienced by black footballers. This thread is a good example of it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Which would you prefer being called... a Racist or a Marxist (insert whichever one you want)?

Is the BLM movement mostly peaceful or mostly violent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

I believe this post 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

bfa1509 wrote: »
    The division/aggression between people in this thread is exactly what the BLM movement set out to achieve. They knew full well that kneeling down during the national anthem would piss people off and draw negative attention, with which they clearly take and frame as "Racism!"

The dog in the street can see it for what it is.

So you think they should have protested in a way that didn't draw any attention?
    What would that achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Penn wrote: »

And vice versa....

MrStuffins wrote: »
    So, yes you are assuming? Thought so!

No, I am speaking through first hand anecdotal evidence.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And vice versa....

I have yet to hear of one legitimate reason for booing it.

So you think they should have protested in a way that didn't draw any attention?
    What would that achieve?

I think they should have protested in a way which wouldn't have drawn comparisons and similarities to the thuggish BLM movement

No, I am speaking through first hand anecdotal evidence.

First hand anecdotal experience of the difference between racism on a black person in football and racism on a white person in football?

No, I don't think you are.

I think they should have protested in a way which wouldn't have drawn comparisons and similarities to the thuggish BLM movement

Impossible.

The same people would have done it anyway

BLM isn't the real issue and you know it

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Impossible.

The same people would have done it anyway

BLM isn't the real issue and you know it

You have a real habit of telling people how they feel.

You are wrong on this occasion.

BLM for me anyway, is the real issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To be fair, with Man United looking like they’re getting, somewhat, “competitive” again, teams like Rovers and, particularly, Bohs will lose a lot of their newer supporters.

Man United supporters are a very fickle “bunch”. Don’t be too surprised that if next season, or the season after, you start to see League of Ireland attendances drop due to red jerseys getting dusted off, stretched over big bellies and those lads taking to the pub to shout at the TV for the day.

Now, if Man U end up falling behind the top teams in England again then expect to see the attendance numbers rise again. Like I said, very fickle.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement