Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Fact of the matter is this taking the knee looks like it's going to go on and on and on until ....racism ends world wide ?? Its like a perpetual woke merry go round that you can't get off.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Faugheen wrote: »
    I have yet to hear of one legitimate reason for booing it.

Is WOKE CULTURAL MARXISM, TERROR ORGANISATION, RESPECT FOR THE GAME, VIRTUE SIGNALLING not doing it for you?

How about LIBRULS, LEFTISTS and COMMIES?

No?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

And vice versa....

Very fine people on both sides.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

MrStuffins wrote: »
    First hand anecdotal experience of the difference between racism on a black person in football and racism on a white person in football?

No, I don't think you are.

First hand anecdotal experience of dealing with and combating racism towards non white people and racism for being white.

Sorry, is this only about racism against footballers? They are a different category now? I thought it was combatting racism on general.

Or are you just discounting my experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

have you heard about coke's white training (how to be less white) or these consent classes some students/employees are obliged to attend?

if i was asked to attend one of those, i would tell whoever to get lost.

i dont need to be told not to rape a woman, the same way i dont need to be told not to be a racist.

the people that do need to be told, wont listen and that is such a huge minority let the police deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Ahwell wrote: »
    As the manager said, the squad discussed it and decided to take the knee. It was a collective decision.

A collective decision? No freedom to decide for oneself so.

As the manager said, the squad discussed it and decided to take the knee. It was a collective decision.

is this the irish team last night or another team?

White on black violence is more than often labelled as a racist attack. The same cannot be said when the ethnicities are reversed. In fact, even highlighting this will result in being accused mockingly of using the victim card.

As someone who deals with racial abuse on a frequent basis, I agree that white on black racism occurs more frequently, but black on white racism is no less abhorrent, yet is treated with less severity

Do you deny that?
    So, yes you are assuming? Thought so!
    No, I am speaking through first hand anecdotal evidence.
    First hand anecdotal experience of the difference between racism on a black person in football and racism on a white person in football?

No, I don't think you are.

Oh wait, I wasn't going mad. We were having a conversation which led to talking about racism and specifically white privilege and how racism against white people was treated less seriously.

Then you decided to flip it all around and pretended I was talking specifically about footballers in the exchange.

Tad dishonest.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think they should have protested in a way which wouldn't have drawn comparisons and similarities to the thuggish BLM movement

Again, 93% of protests were peaceful yet it gets branded as ‘thuggish’ because a minority decide to cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This was not a FA initiative. The original idea to take the knee last year was proposed by a group of Premier League captains and PFA representatives.

Doubt it

• Advertisement

Again, 93% of protests were peaceful yet it gets branded as ‘thuggish’ because a minority decide to cause trouble.

what % of people were booing? at what point can you blame the mob rather than the individuals?

have you heard about coke's white training (how to be less white) or these consent classes some students/employees are obliged to attend?

if i was asked to attend one of those, i would tell whoever to get lost.

i dont need to be told not to rape a woman, the same way i dont need to be told not to be a racist.

the people that do need to be told, wont listen and that is such a huge minority let the police deal with it.

So people are right to boo it because of consent classes and rape. Right.

People do need to be told. You might not have to, but just because you don’t have to doesn’t mean it isn’t a problem that black footballers are enduring every single day.

The fact you don’t need to be told would normally encourage people to support them, not rebel against them.

Ah, look. A team of players could go out and do handstands instead of kneeling in support and they'd still be booed by some. Even though it'd be funny to see.

We come in peace don't mind the petrol bombs and out looting of local business we come in peace....

Business owners these are our assault rifle just Keep on walking there son......

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

There isn’t a legitimate reason to boo it. I do wish people could question the effectiveness of taking the knee as a way to combat racism without being lumped in with the people booing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Not a fan either but if this is what they want to do to raise awareness about racism in soccer, it's fairly harmless.

Raise awareness of racism? Are you saying there are people out there who do not know that racism exists or don't know that it is wrong?

There are a myriad of societal issues that affect humanity as much as racism in which campaigns are run to raise awareness off, whether it be bullying, drink driving, alcoholism, suicide, obesity etc, etc. In many of these examples, people are literally dying. Yet despite all the campaigns, all the warnings, all the talk, they still happen on a frequent basis. Why? Because that is human nature.

Likewise, you can raise awareness of racism all you want, but there will be always be a section of society who will be racist for whatever reason. If anything, the whole focus on the issue of racism will only embolden them as they are in effect bullies who revel in making people insecure and uncomfortable and they can see the results firsthand.

Racism is not going to go away, but neither are all the other issues I mentioned, yet the topic of racism appears to be the only one to have any real relevance in modern society. This constant need to raise 'awareness' of racism just seems a bit overplayed when you look at all the other issues in the world that also need awareness.

Before they decided that they are woke , maybe they could learn to play some decent football and score a few goals before worrying about gangsters in America ,
    They didn't exactly look dedicated to cause either looking at the video

Gatling wrote: »
    We come in peace don't mind the petrol bombs and out looting of local business we come in peace....

Business owners these are our assault rifle just Keep on walking there son......

Didn’t happen in 93% of protests (at least up to last September).

Before they decided that they are woke , maybe they could learn to play some decent football and score a few goals before worrying about gangsters in America ,
    They didn't exactly look dedicated to cause either looking at the video

It’s nothing to do about ‘gangsters in America’.

Members of that panel have faced racial abuse over a game that involves a ball being kicked around a field. That’s what this is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think they should have protested in a way which wouldn't have drawn comparisons and similarities to the thuggish BLM movement

This is getting tiring.

Vast majority of BLM protests are Peaceful.
    Vast majority of people who attended BLM protests are entirely peaceful.
    Vast majority of people understand this.

I'll add, the same things were said about MLK and his supporters in the 60's as are being said about BLM now as in 'they're only interested in committing violence', 'they should focus on the problems in their own community', 'they're communists'.

And such as with MLK and how he was perceived changed over time when people realised the merit in his argument, the same will eventually be said about BLM supporters. The only question is how long before that is the case.

• Advertisement

It’s nothing to do about ‘gangsters in America’.

It's all about America and Wokism ,
    Wasn't it raahem sterling who cried about the racist media because they ran a story about his mother living in a multimillion pound mansion while refusing to give up a council house ..

Raise awareness of racism? Are you saying there are people out there who do not know that racism exists or don't know that it is wrong?

There are a myriad of societal issues that affect humanity as much as racism in which campaigns are run to raise awareness off, whether it be bullying, drink driving, alcoholism, suicide, obesity etc, etc. In many of these examples, people are literally dying. Yet despite all the campaigns, all the warnings, all the talk, they still happen on a frequent basis. Why? Because that is human nature.

Likewise, you can raise awareness of racism all you want, but there will be always be a section of society who will be racist for whatever reason. If anything, the whole focus on the issue of racism will only embolden them as they are in effect bullies who revel in making people insecure and uncomfortable and they can see the results firsthand.

Racism is not going to go away, but neither are all the other issues I mentioned, yet the topic of racism appears to be the only one to have any real relevance in modern society. This constant need to raise 'awareness' of racism just seems a bit overplayed when you look at all the other issues in the world that also need awareness.

There's so much wrong with this post but I'll respond in 2 ways.

A - Thankfully there were many humans who didn't have your ability to shrug their shoulders and say 'It is what it is' so that all the things we take for granted now in terms of free choice and expression were achieved.

B - The biggest societal issue facing the entire planet is the likely impact of climate change. I'm sure you already know how one of the most prominent voices calling for action in that respect over the last few years, and the cause in general has been received. Once again, many of the same voices on here decrying footballers kneeling for 30 seconds calling for action to target racist behaviour were also very vocal in decrying any calls for meaningful climate action on various threads on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

They say a picture paints a thousand words, I saw an amusing snap from a goal end last week where it looks like members of the Ireland team are going down on some proud looking Andorrans

Bobblehats wrote: »
    They say a picture paints a thousand words, I saw an amusing snap from a goal end last week where it looks like members of the Ireland team are going down on some proud looking Andorrans

Interesting where your mind went to? Have you thought about it much since?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This is getting tiring.

Vast majority of BLM protests are Peaceful.
    Vast majority of people who attended BLM protests are entirely peaceful.
    Vast majority of people understand this.

I'll add, the same things were said about MLK and his supporters in the 60's as are being said about BLM now as in 'they're only interested in committing violence', 'they should focus on the problems in their own community', 'they're communists'.

And such as with MLK and how he was perceived changed over time when people realised the merit in his argument, the same will eventually be said about BLM supporters. The only question is how long before that is the case.

To;dr: whities fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Interesting where your mind went to? Have you thought about it much since?

It’s where the photographer took me that created the illusion. Through the kaleidoscope of the minds eye I thought about it when we had a reoccurring scenario last night; but I couldn’t recreate that same magic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I don't think the yanks watch much soccer ball. So seems a pointless gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

There's so much wrong with this post but I'll respond in 2 ways.

A - Thankfully there were many humans who didn't have your ability to shrug their shoulders and say 'It is what it is' so that all the things we take for granted now in terms of free choice and expression were achieved.

B - The biggest societal issue facing the entire planet is the likely impact of climate change. I'm sure you already know how one of the most prominent voices calling for action in that respect over the last few years, and the cause in general has been received. Once again, many of the same voices on here decrying footballers kneeling for 30 seconds calling for action to target racist behaviour were also very vocal in decrying any calls for meaningful climate action on various threads on here.

I am not shrugging my shoulders and saying it is what it is. I am asking why racism is deemed as much more relevant than say bullying in general. Why is it necessary for footballers to kneel before every single game to raise awareness of racism, but not bullying? Is bullying in general considered less important? If so, why?

I am sure there is a cross-over of right wing people who decry anything seen as woke, but I am not one of them. I just don't think this constant focus on racism is achieving what it is claiming to do.

Is the BLM movement mostly peaceful or mostly violent?

Honestly, mostly peaceful. Although, there are sides to it that are violent. The manner of the protesting and activism is aggressive/confrontational though. Can we agree on that, since I do acknowledge that the protests were, for the most part, peaceful>?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Doubt it

I was taking about English situation in my op, the origin of premiership players taking the knee when the league matches started up again last season is well-documented. If you don't believe it, that's up you, I don't particularly care.
    A collective decision? No freedom to decide for oneself so.

Again I'm speaking about the English squad, just in case there was any confusion, Gareth Southgate said everyone in the squad was "totally" behind the decision to take the knee during the Euros

Advertisement