Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Comments

Raise awareness of racism? Are you saying there are people out there who do not know that racism exists or don't know that it is wrong?

Each time that's pointed out on the thread, it's skipped over...

Racism is, and has been for decades, socially unacceptable, but suddenly it's a huge problem, and we all need to be aware that it happens. Not that there is any new realistic method (beyond our current system of laws, and social conditioning) to combat racism... just that we must acknowledge that racism exists all the time.

Oh... and I get the feeling from the manner of the posts here, the attitude is.. if you're not with us 100%, then you're against us. Which makes you a racist, regardless of your actual beliefs. There is the "right way" of thinking, and you're not doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

First hand anecdotal experience of dealing with and combating racism towards non white people and racism for being white.

But this is not what you were talking about.

You were saying that racism against black people in football causes more outrage than if it was against a white person. But you couldn't come up with any examples.

That's because you're talking rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Faugheen wrote: »
    So people are right to boo it because of consent classes and rape. Right.

People do need to be told. You might not have to, but just because you don’t have to doesn’t mean it isn’t a problem that black footballers are enduring every single day.

The fact you don’t need to be told would normally encourage people to support them, not rebel against them.

i was drawing a comparison.

would you go to a consent class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Wonder what his username on here is 🤔

https://twitter.com/BenTheTim/status/1402678185578401798?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Oh... and I get the feeling from the manner of the posts here, the attitude is.. if you're not with us 100%, then you're against us. Which makes you a racist, regardless of your actual beliefs. There is the "right way" of thinking, and you're not doing it.

Yes, and I have asked twice in thread "If a black person does not support BLM or Kneeling, does that make them racist?".

I have yet to receive a single response.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

I get that too. Questioning the value of taking the knee seems to be considered as egregious as booing the act to some posters here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Each time that's pointed out on the thread, it's skipped over...

Racism is, and has been for decades, socially unacceptable, but suddenly it's a huge problem, and we all need to be aware that it happens. Not that there is any new realistic method (beyond our current system of laws, and social conditioning) to combat racism... just that we must acknowledge that racism exists all the time.

'Critical race theory'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yes. You guys being accused of being racist are the victims.

The footballers who have finally have had enough of getting abuse should stop and think about you guys for a second. Then they'd realise how good they have it.

So, for the next match in September, are you all ok with deriding the Irish team if they decide to acknowledge that racism exists and they want to highlight that fact during a game of football?

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »

did you read the tweet?

'The first person in history with a minus IQ'.

god knows why you would use him to back up an argument. if you rely on him to slam dunk an argument, it aint that strong.

i suppose, 1st of all, which has yet to be established; what is this argument about in your opinion?

as an aside, have you watched the full interview?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

i was drawing a comparison.

would you go to a consent class?

Yes I would, especially if they were established due to an incident involving a colleague in the workplace.

I'd go to show my solidarity and empathy. I wouldn't tell them to f*ck off. Sometimes a colleague seeing that engagement and support can mean a lot to them.

Would you support a colleague who was racially abused in the workplace? That's what the Irish footballers were doing, in a country that is becoming known to be turning a blind eye to racism.

Yes. You guys being accused of being racist are the victims.

Well done. You've perfectly illustrated the problem with this thread. The inability to tolerate differing opinions, and the need to introduce snide ways of commenting.

There are heaps of posts, including mine, acknowledging that racism is an issue in Europe. It exists... but what are you suggesting to change? We already have laws, and social norms already exist that say that racism is wrong, inappropriate, and for the most part, expressions of racism will receive public condemnation. That's been the case in our societies for decades now.

So, what are you proposing that is new? Beyond requiring that everyone acknowledge that racism exists... How does any of this affect those people who are unashamed of their racist beliefs? Because from what I can see, this is more about insulting people who aren't racist, but don't see the value in these gestures.
    The footballers who have finally have had enough of getting abuse should stop and think about you guys for a second. Then they'd realise how good they have it.

So, this is about the footballers dealing with racism... it's not about racism in mainstream society? You seem to be a mite confused as to why they're doing this.

Yes I would, especially if they were established due to an incident involving a colleague in the workplace.

I'd go to show my solidarity and empathy. I wouldn't tell them to f*ck off. Sometimes a colleague seeing that engagement and support can mean a lot to them.

Would you support a colleague who was racially abused in the workplace? That's what the Irish footballers were doing, in a country that is becoming known to be turning a blind eye to racism.

would you go to a seminar on how to be less racist?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I answered your question, I'd appreciate if you would answer mine.

You don't have to, of course, but I'm not getting into this game of distractions and deflections.

I've answered your question in good faith so I would be grateful if you would afford me the same respect.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Wonder what his username on here is ��

https://twitter.com/BenTheTim/status/1402678185578401798?s=20

Its Cultural Marxism gone mad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ahwell wrote: »
    I was taking about English situation in my op, the origin of premiership players taking the knee when the league matches started up again last season is well-documented. If you don't believe it, that's up you, I don't particularly care.

Again I'm speaking about the English squad, just in case there was any confusion, Gareth Southgate said everyone in the squad was "totally" behind the decision to take the knee during the Euros

Have you ordered a spade to get yourself out of the hole yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Gatling wrote: »
    Have you ordered a spade to get yourself out of the hole yet

I'm not in one.

I answered your question, I'd appreciate if you would answer mine.

You don't have to, of course, but I'm not getting into this game of distractions and deflections.

I've answered your question in good faith so I would be grateful if you would afford me the same respect.

yes, absolutely i would defend/support that person to the hilt.

but i wouldn't insist after the fact that we are all bad and need conditioning. like cricket, take every ball on its merits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

On the subject did anyone see that pair of clowns tonight attempt to forge an english euro anthem out of their feckin trap music. Made Black Grape’s effort seem like Frederick Chopin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Strawman argument and getting personal. Please stop.

I have been reading through your posts and my god, the lack of nuance in your argument is startling, its either "you are a racist" or "you are a good person". Just leaving this here (also ties into the whole performative 'look at me' element of the wokists) :
    Narcissism is an exaggerated, excessive interest in oneself. Black and white thinking can be a symptom of this personality disorder. People who have it will often find it challenging to get help because they quickly dismiss doctors and therapists.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/black-and-white-thinking#:~:text=Black%20and%20white%20thinking%20can,them%20to%20think%20in%20absolutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s straight from the wokie playbook.

If they disagree with you, they don’t offer reasoned debate, it’s simply accuse and besmirch anyone in disagreement... a bit see through though.

Strumms wrote: »
    That’s straight from the wokie playbook.

If they disagree with you, they don’t offer reasoned debate, it’s simply accuse and besmirch anyone in disagreement... a bit see through though.

I'll tell you what's see through.

A group of people who are very vocal on there being no value in multiculturalism, that the BLM protests even in America have no merit, that Hazel Chu should stfu, are arguing that it is correct to boo footballers, many of who are directly and viciously targeted by racists, from calling attention to the need for action against racism for about 20 seconds before a 90 minute match.

Oh and they get very upset at being called out on the fact that they are at the very least trying to absolve racists from their actions.

Looking forward to the next thread by the weekend to reinforce the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I'll tell you what's see through.

A group of people who are very vocal on there being no value in multiculturalism, that the BLM protests even in America have no merit, that Hazel Chu should stfu, are arguing that it is correct to boo footballers, many of who are directly and viciously targeted by racists, from calling attention to the need for action against racism for about 20 seconds before a 90 minute match.

Oh and they get very upset at being called out on the fact that they are at the very least trying to absolve racists from their actions.

Looking forward to the next thread by the weekend to reinforce the point.

Could you point to specific posters who are racist and report them?

Or maybe keep those thoughts in your head and dont accuse people of being racists on a public forum with no evidence to back it up.

The only people obsessed with creating division based on skin colour in this thread are the sensitive wee darlings getting their validation from likes on Twitter/Instgram following this woke fad.

I would also hazard a guess that a good proportion of these same middle class woke children have very little interaction with minorities in their leafy suburbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This Clown World gesture in Budapest last night just got a little more interesting. Apparently it was Bohs committee who put pressure on the FAI to force the Ireland team to do this.

In case you haven't been following events. Bohemians have lost all their traditional working class supporter base and replaced them with Woke Lefties and other virtue signalesque type. It has been a successful move for the club as they have gained a huge supporter base from Hipsters in Stoneybatter. But they now seem to be acting as a political front for ANTIFA/BLM in Dublin.

Should be interesting when they play Rovers in Tallaght on Friday... Live on TV too. I'll be watching!

I’m a Bohs fan all be it a lapsed attendee at matches in the main due to work commitments on a Friday night but fûck having to go to a match and be lectured about social issues and sit through virtue signaling bollocks during half time and the warmup....no thanks..

Their social media while toned down over the last year or two had been more about or AS much about virtue signaling as football, mind you they have the rainbow flag incorporated into their traditional badge there... weird...at least the website sticks mainly to football, thankfully.

John Doe1 wrote: »

Or maybe keep those thoughts in your head and dont accuse people of being racists on a public forum with no evidence to back it up.

There was one site banned earlier in the thread, posts still up with a lot of thanks too..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Strumms wrote: »
    I’m a Bohs fan all be it a lapsed attendee at matches in the main due to work commitments on a Friday night but fûck having to go to a match and be lectured about social issues and sit through virtue signaling bollocks during half time and the warmup....no thanks..

Their social media while toned down over the last year or two had been more about or AS much about virtue signaling as football, mind you they have the rainbow flag incorporated into their traditional badge there... weird...at least the website sticks mainly to football, thankfully.
    How are you been lectured by someone silently taking a knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,703 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

How are you been lectured by someone silently taking a knee.

Yeah, hyperbolic to even suggest that tbh.

John Doe1 wrote: »

The only people obsessed with creating division based on skin colour in this thread are the sensitive wee darlings getting their validation from likes on Twitter/Instgram following this woke fad.

I would also hazard a guess that a good proportion of these same middle class woke children have very little interaction with minorities in their leafy suburbs.

Lol. Okay then.
    What evidence do you want? A post with the N word or similar in it? Cause without that, definitely no racist sentiment on here. No sir, sure there's no proof is there.

You know that those who do express 'themselves clearly' in such a fashion are scrubbed from the pages and so presenting evidence is not possible. Of course you know that. Makes it easier to say there's no evidence when you know it's deleted and those posters are generally removed nearly as quickly.
    But, I stand by statement that there are many who are consistent in having an opinion that is contrary to that expressed by or in favour of people of colour. Many of these are smart enough, or have learned over time to not make it so obvious. Call that whatever you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Lol. Okay then.
    What evidence do you want? A post with the N word or similar in it? Cause without that, definitely no racist sentiment on here. No sir, sure there's no proof is there.

You know that those who do express 'themselves clearly' in such a fashion are scrubbed from the pages and so presenting evidence is not possible. Of course you know that. Makes it easier to say there's no evidence when you know it's deleted and those posters are generally removed nearly as quickly.
    But, I stand by statement that there are many who are consistent in having an opinion that is contrary to that expressed by or in favour of people of colour. Many of these are smart enough, or have learned over time to not make it so obvious. Call that whatever you want.

You sound triggered.

Advertisement