Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

So, our language should be policed even when it doesn't relate to other racial groups? What about their language? I find the N word offensive. Does that mean that Black people are stupid and ignorant in using it with regards to another Black person?

Even then, the N word is widely recognised as being a word with negative connotations. How about a commonly used word with no widespread common negativity? Should White people be justified in going nuts over such usage?

They can go nuts if they want. Just once it's not monkey nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

If you don't like footballers standing up for something they believe in then don't come to the match.

I wonder to myself, just how many believe in this performative virtue signalling and just how many perform the ritual to avoid the toxic gaze of the thought police.

I'm willing be bet that most, like a North Korean on 'Dear Leader's' birthday will kneel clap till their hands bleed because they don't want to face the ire of others by being the first to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

What a bizarre take. Also indicative of people who claim to be anti racism, finding a reason to shoehorn implied meanings at every turn.

What is stupid about saying monkey within earshot of a black person?

You've said it's not racist. So why then is it stupid?

How is it stupid to say something non racist?

Agreed. Ffs everyone has called their child a little monkey at some point.

We're going to turn the non-racist situations in racist ones now? People better watch out for all those 'racist' nursery rhymes on youtube so:

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

What I find amazing about the issue is the way in which on this thread there is 2 sides. Lots of support on either. It would be interesting poll if it were put to a vote. However I was listening to newstalk when the incident happened and you never think there might be 2 sides to the argument from them. Basically anyone who disagreed with the gesture was a moron. On here we do see some balance atleast.

Years ago there was alot of attempts to keep sport and politics separate. Now its the opposite. The fact that alot of ppl that might support the poppy might dislike the knee would tell me that both should go if logic and pluralism is put before virtue. The problem nowadays is there is no room for conscientious objectors either, throw the easiest label at them and your done and dusted.

And just to stir the debate further can anyone tell me if the poppy stuff had not happened and we looked to introduce it now in 2021 would it be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

This thread if full of people who probably think it's wrong Granddad can't call people 'Coloureds' anymore, pc gone mad etc.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

I'll tell you what's see through.

A group of people who are very vocal on there being no value in multiculturalism, that the BLM protests even in America have no merit, that Hazel Chu should stfu, are arguing that it is correct to boo footballers, many of who are directly and viciously targeted by racists, from calling attention to the need for action against racism for about 20 seconds before a 90 minute match.

Oh and they get very upset at being called out on the fact that they are at the very least trying to absolve racists from their actions.

Looking forward to the next thread by the weekend to reinforce the point.

Very well put. I think a few of those people have shown support for Gemma o Doherty and the national party which people can make their own minds up about. There has also been talk from actual posters about setting up their own anti immigration parties so it's worth keeping these things in mind. People are entitled to do these things but they certainly lie at the more extreme end. Im not sure too many of us would know any fervent national party or gemma o Doherty supporters in real life, much less have mates who aspire to set up their own anti immigration parties in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

This thread if full of people who probably think it's wrong Granddad can't call people 'Coloureds' anymore, pc gone mad etc.. :pac:

lol only in your head my friend.

rightmove wrote: »
    What I find amazing about the issue is the way in which on this thread there is 2 sides.

Actually, I wouldn't say that there are two sides. Oh, sure, the posters who support the taking of the knee and the association with BLM, tend mirror each others opinions quite well... but those against are rather varied in their opinions. So, I'd say that there's many sides to this debate. (Thanking/liking a persons post doesn't mean you agree with them completely, or that your views are in alignment all the time)

The two sides logic is more of the Americanisms, extended from the Left/Right, Republican/Democrat, Right/Wrong, perspective. There's a wide range of views on the thread.. Nothing as simple as two sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

By now I reckon there's enough data to figure out at exactly what point the same 5-6 posters (one fewer now that one of the main guys was banned today) will round on a thread mentioning anything to do with race and spew out the same old rubbish whilst mentioning "BLM" and "Marxist" every three seconds. Making sure to roundly like one another's posts. It's astonishing.

"The only ones who are causing division are the ones who are asking for racist abuse to stop. Asking people to stop being racist is racist in and of itself! I've seen racism against white people, so why should racism against black people we stopped?"

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

MarkEadie wrote: »
    Very well put. I think a few of those people have shown support for Gemma o Doherty and the national party which people can make their own minds up about. There has also been talk from actual posters about setting up their own anti immigration parties so it's worth keeping these things in mind. People are entitled to do these things but they certainly lie at the more extreme end. Im not sure too many of us would know any fervent national party or gemma o Doherty supporters in real life, much less have mates who aspire to set up their own anti immigration parties in Ireland.

Another fantastic example of a post that seems to deliberately interpret what people say in the most extreme way possible void of any nuance at all. Also some pretty emphatic lies too.

• Advertisement

MarkEadie wrote: »

Haha.. you tried raising this viewpoint in the Multiculturalism thread, and didn't follow up on it when you met resistance..

None of what you're talking about is based in fact, except the discussion that alternative parties were needed to deal with the topic of immigration, and they weren't anti-immigration. The vast majority of posters involved in that discussion were in favor of skilled/educated immigrants who could support themselves without needing State supports.

But, hey, come back to the original thread (Multiculturalism in Ireland), and argue your points. I'm sure that the posters who were originally involved in that discussion would enjoy tearing you apart. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Anyway, this thread has been derailed from talking about booing taking to the knee to just random nonsense from snowflakes on the right who are absolutely seething that most people in the world don't share their daft alt-right philosophy.

I'll just leave it with this back on topic.

- Some Hungarian fans booed the Irish players for taking a knee

- They are either stupid or racist or both

- Instead of supporting the Irish players like any decent person would, posters on here take the side of stupid/racist Hungarian football fans over siding with the Irish team (which included 2 black players - 19 & 20 years old).

- I bet some of these posters call themselves 'Nationalists' etc. and support some of the daft new right wing parties in Ireland, but strangely here they prefer to side with Hungarian football yobs over a 19 year old kid from Dublin.

- It's shameful stuff from a lot of posters, I'm ashamed that there's Irish people like yee.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    By now I reckon there's enough data to figure out at exactly what point the same 5-6 posters (one fewer now that one of the main guys was banned today) will round on a thread mentioning anything to do with race and spew out the same old rubbish whilst mentioning "BLM" and "Marxist" every three seconds. Making sure to roundly like one another's posts. It's astonishing.

"The only ones who are causing division are the ones who are asking for racist abuse to stop. Asking people to stop being racist is racist in and of itself! I've seen racism against white people, so why should racism against black people we stopped?"

Lol good post. The thank function provides comedy for sure! But it's a forum at the end of the day and that's what it's all about. Got to respect their hustle in a way.

Another fantastic example of a post that seems to deliberately interpret what people say in the most extreme way possible void of any nuance at all. Also some pretty emphatic lies too.

But that's it, isn't it?

The whole thing of "interpretation".

These posters banging on about BLM and Marxism think that people can't see their true motivations. Think others can't see the real reason why they refuse to acknowledge that the knee-taking is actually under the slogan "No Room For Racism".

It's a facade.

Anyway, this thread has been derailed from talking about booing taking to the knee to just random nonsense from snowflakes on the right who are absolutely seething that most people in the world don't share their daft alt-right philosophy.

- Instead of supporting the Irish players like any decent person would, posters on here take the side of stupid/racist Hungarian football fans over siding with the Irish team (which included 2 black players - 19 & 20 years old).

- I bet some of these posters call themselves 'Nationalists' etc. and support some of the daft new right wing parties in Ireland, but strangely here they prefer to side with Hungarian football yobs over a 19 year old kid from Dublin.

- It's shameful stuff from a lot of posters, I'm ashamed that there's Irish people like yee.

Unfortunately there will be a cohort of "nationalists" who will feel terrible at the sight of black players doing well on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My mother in law still calls children little ******s. :)

What evidence do you have that there are posters on this thread who are "alt-right"?

Love how you talk about returning to the topic, but lead, and end with vague broad statements about other posters... Yeah, that's going to get people back to the topic. :rolleyes: Why should we not challenge your statements about other posters?

Care to get specific as to whom you're ashamed over and why?

What evidence do you have that there are posters on this thread who are "alt-right"?

It's scattered all over Boards. Look at the posting history and the content of those posts.

It's all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

This was a political statement and Ireland will likely be fined as a result

The fact Ireland did not take the knee against Andorra but took the knee against Hungary is the nail in the case really.

Keep politics out of football please

Hopefully they get hammered for it. The FAI can’t really afford to be racking up fines.

It's scattered all over Boards. Look at the posting history and the content of those posts.

It's all there.

So, you've got nothing beyond your desire to throw dirt around. Quote and counter posters opinions directly.. otherwise your claims are meaningless, and just plain ignorant.

• Advertisement

It's all there.

Would you consider me alt-right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

gmisk wrote: »
    "Largely non existent on the pitch"
    What absolute nonsense plenty of recent enough incidents of racism on the pitch.
    If you want a euro linked one try the below
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56747993
    There is a reason Kudela from the Czech Republic will not be at the euros.

One mans word against another. Ridiculous that he misses the Euros on no other evidence than Kamaras word. The same Kamara caught on camera singing FTP while celebrating Rangers title win.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/footage-rangers-players-allegedly-singing-24124010

Guess some abuse is acceptable to Mr Kamara.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I don't agree.

Are you honestly saying that people are stupid for even mentioning the word monkey if a black person is around?

Even when using it as a term of endearment for their own child?

That's beyond ridiculous

Agreed.
    My son is white, I've referred to him as monkey since he was born as a nickname/term of endearment.
    17yrs later and it's still used on occasion.

Context matters, not all use is racist

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It's all there.

I think they prefer the euphemism “neo-liberal centrist” and they will be aghast if you think they are alt, or far, right.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

For something that's meant to be nothing more than an anti racism gesture, it's certainly provoked a strong reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

rightmove wrote: »
    What I find amazing about the issue is the way in which on this thread there is 2 sides. Lots of support on either. It would be interesting poll if it were put to a vote. However I was listening to newstalk when the incident happened and you never think there might be 2 sides to the argument from them. Basically anyone who disagreed with the gesture was a moron. On here we do see some balance atleast.

Years ago there was alot of attempts to keep sport and politics separate. Now its the opposite. The fact that alot of ppl that might support the poppy might dislike the knee would tell me that both should go if logic and pluralism is put before virtue. The problem nowadays is there is no room for conscientious objectors either, throw the easiest label at them and your done and dusted.

And just to stir the debate further can anyone tell me if the poppy stuff had not happened and we looked to introduce it now in 2021 would it be allowed?
    A poll you say...

skysports-football-yougov-sport_5410187.jpg?20210609173807

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That's an interesting chart. Wouldn't have pegged the Dutch as being that split.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

It's all there.
    You're not wrong.

So, you've got nothing beyond your desire to throw dirt around. Quote and counter posters opinions directly.. otherwise your claims are meaningless, and just plain ignorant.

I didn't throw dirt around. You asked where the proof is. I told you where it is.

It's not my job to go back through threads and pull it up for you. You can do that yourself. I'm just telling you it's there.

• Advertisement

I don't like players taking the knee because of the undoubtedly visual similarities to the protests of recent black lives matter movement who I consider race baiting, racist, threatening thugs. It's too much of a stretch to consider using that particular gesture as nothing but tacit support for the BLM movement.

When Gemma o Doherty and her band of looney tunes were protesting and one made a questionable salute, were you of the mind frame that he may have been making a gesture that was similar to the Nazi salutes but it might be under a different banner so it had nothing to do with nazis, or did you immediately associate it with Nazis?

The gesture (kneeling) shows or implies support for what I consider a disgusting organisation/movement.

That is not to say I don't support equality and oppose racism. You aren't a racist for not supporting BLM and you certainly aren't anti racist because you do.

I'm neither stupid nor am I racist. There are some posters here who believe that not supporting the footballers taking the knee makes you one, the other, or both.

Do I want the players stopped from taking the knee? No, of course not. But the crowd are perfectly entitled to make their feelings known about the gesture.

And as for getting wildly off topic, it was you that brought up your stupid/racist spectrum theory and pushed the notion that calling your own child "a little monkey" was stupid unless you checked your vicinity for black people.

And i wouldn't consider myself a nationalist, nor do I support the Irish football team. I'm actually an England fan. I'm unaware of these new far right parties you seem to be scared of, but I'm guessing that anything right of Paul Murphy is considered far right to some.

Advertisement