Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I didn't throw dirt around. You asked where the proof is. I told you where it is.

It's not my job to go back through threads and pull it up for you. You can do that yourself. I'm just telling you it's there.

Correct. Everyone who has any semblance of common sense and the ability to click back through posts agrees with you.

I didn't throw dirt around. You asked where the proof is. I told you where it is.

It's not my job to go back through threads and pull it up for you. You can do that yourself. I'm just telling you it's there.

I'm telling you it's not.

Thanks for the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

For something that's meant to be nothing more than an anti racism gesture, it's certainly provoked a strong reaction.

Like when you poke a wasps nest.

"Racist" is an ugly term so, while many will just be honest and say they are, many many others will deny, kick back, claim it's racist in itself to call them racist etc.

Like if you called an ugly person ugly. It's true, but they don't like to be called on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

dog_pig wrote: »
    In Irish society, what are the main ways that systemic racism manifests itself to keep black people in poverty?

Lack of access to housing, eh actually scratch that.
    Lack of access to education, hmm not that.
    Lack of NGO representative groups, can’t be that.
    Lack of social services, nope, scratching head.

But Fionnan and Saoirse on Twitter claim that racism is endemic in Irish society. So we must be.

We are so racist here.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

But that's it, isn't it?

The whole thing of "interpretation".

These posters banging on about BLM and Marxism think that people can't see their true motivations. Think others can't see the real reason why they refuse to acknowledge that the knee-taking is actually under the slogan "No Room For Racism".

It's a facade.

I've searched the thread for 'Marxist' and 'Marxism' and there were around 8 mentions of those words from people with a negative view of taking the knee.

People can have legitimate concerns with the BLM organization, do you agree? Taking a knee started when BLM was at it's most powerful, when players wore the phrase on the back of their kits, when Sky and BT had it permanently positioned in their graphics, football grounds had large banners in the stands with 'Black Lives Matter' written on them, I'm pretty sure the Emirates still does.

It's all well and good to say that it's moved on to "No Room For Racism" but it's just like a re branding. It took a long time before we all started calling them Starburst instead of Opel Fruits.

I think they should have moved away from the knee to something else, standing tall for 5 seconds, whatever, to disconnect from BLM and migrate to "No Room for Racism" if that was the plan, otherwise it's hard to separate the two when the actions are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

"Racist" is an ugly term so, while many will just be honest and say they are, many many others will deny, kick back, claim it's racist in itself to call them racist etc.

Like if you called an ugly person ugly. It's true, but they don't like to be called on it.
    You're nearly there.

There are many posters on this thread who spend all day posting about this culture war stuff, thats undeniable. I'd venture that practically none of these people are football fans.

Its STILL possible to oppose this type of sanctioned political protest being shoved into the official matchday without being a racist.

Again, I think most people have the issue of the cowardice behind the blanket generalisation of shouting racism and therefore accusing everyone who disagrees with you as being one.

I'd have no issue if you direct accused me of racism and then backed it up so I could counter your accusations. I do have an issue with being it being lazily implied that I am a racist and then when I defend myself being told "oh see, you're outing yourself as a racist. I never mentioned you" despite the accusation being as clear as day.

Its a sickening accusation. Absolutely sickening and the ease at which it has been thrown around on this thread is beyond a joke.

It's not my job to go back through threads and pull it up for you. You can do that yourself.

I'm just telling you it's there.

Actually, the onus would be on you to prove your statement. You made the claim.. and I questioned it. Instead of backing up your claim with evidence, you expanded the vagueness to include the entirety of boards (when you originally made the claim about a lot of posters on this thread).

And yes, you did throw dirt around. You sought to associate the posters on this thread with the Alt-right, which is a way of dismissing their opinions as being unreasonable. You did it in a broad vague manner... and have refused to defend your statement. So.. yeah.. throwing dirt around is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

There's a monster in Loch Ness too. But I'm not going to pull it up for you. You can do that yourself. I'm just telling you it's there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be fair, if you're making the accusation you need to be able to back it up with a few quotes. Equally it's not someone else's job to back up your assertions for you.

• Advertisement

jakiah wrote: »
    Its STILL possible to oppose this type of sanctioned political protest being shoved into the official matchday without being a racist.

Agreed. It's definitely possible.

At the same time, racists will oppose it for racist reasons too. And some of them will pretend it's about Americanism, Marxism, BLM or whatever to hide their true motivations.

Actually, the onus would be on you to prove your statement.

Nope.

The onus was on me to answer the question. You asked where it was.

I told you where it was.

What you do with that information is up to you

Racist is an ugly term, which shows just how unacceptable racism is considered within our society. It's true that many posters, myself included don't like it being applied to us incorrectly.

The problem is that you expect others to meekly accept your judgments over them... that they shouldn't ask for specifics, and defend their own statements.. and counter yours. You, and others with your attitude on this topic, are not the authority on determining that someone is racist or what they wrote is racist. That's the job of the moderators, and there haven't been many people called up on being racist, even though, boards mods are pretty quick to do so.

And no.. being ugly is a matter of perception. Just because you consider someone to be ugly, doesn't mean that others do. Silly example to use in seeking to prove your point.

There's a monster in Loch Ness too. But I'm not going to pull it up for you. You can do that yourself. I'm just telling you it's there. :pac:

Ok. And if I ever desire to look for it, I will.

To be fair, if you're making the accusation you need to be able to back it up with a few quotes. Equally it's not someone else's job to back up your assertions for you.

It wasn't me who made the accusation.

I just tried to help the poster out when he asked where he could find evidence.

Nope.

The onus was on me to answer the question. You asked where it was.

I told you where it was.

What you do with that information is up to you

Lol

"There's racism on boards"

"Where, can you show me where it is"

"It's in the posts of racists"

"Which ones?"

"Do your own research dammit"

Lol

"There's racism on boards"

"Where, can you show me where it is"

"It's in the posts of racists"

"Which ones?"

"Do your own research dammit"

Again, it wasn't me who Klaz was replying to. It was another poster.

Try to keep up old sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Ok. And if I ever desire to look for it, I will.

:o

At least you're consistent.

Nope.

haha.. hardly surprising. You were called on your vague nonsense, and won't defend your statement... because it was rubbish. You know it, I know it.

Edit: You sought to defend that other posters statement...

Again, it wasn't me who Klaz was replying to. It was another poster.

Try to keep up old sport!

Ah I know Mr stuffins, but when you felt the need to interject with claims of proof being scattered throughout boards and in people's posting histories, you did not help your like minded friend, nor assist klaz.

In fact all it did was throw out another vague and non specific assertion that the alt right are everywhere (just nowhere you can point to)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

At least he hasn't gotten personal and diagnosed anyone with a personality disorder.

Hahahaha, are you joking. I was doing this in response to a poster emblematic of the white saviour posters on this thread shouting racism at every corner which is much worse than saying someone is a narcissist.

You lads can give it out but cannot take it.

haha.. hardly surprising. You were called on your vague nonsense, and won't defend your statement... because it was rubbish. You know it, I know it.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611711e339c8bfabe748bc540d7bb1d79f42d50ac26&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Agreed. It's definitely possible.

At the same time, racists will oppose it for racist reasons too. And some of them will pretend it's about Americanism, Marxism, BLM or whatever to hide their true motivations.
    Ii think you are right, and this is why some oppose officially sanctioning stuff like taking the knee and poppy bull**** in the firstplace.

I'd love to see a poll of football fans support for taking the knee a week or two after it was brought in, I'd bet there would be much more broad support for it than in the one just posted. I remember thinking it was a bit controversial at the time but sure what harm. I didnt expect it to run for over a year and be selectively applied to some games but not others. Similarly I think people would have much less of an issue with the poppy if it was a once off for the WWI centenary or something.

As usual, the football authorities have made a bollocks of it and what started as a decent gesture has turned football into a political circus where every cultre war clown has to have his say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Faugheen wrote: »
    Again, 93% of protests were peaceful yet it gets branded as ‘thuggish’ because a minority decide to cause trouble.

How much damage financially, was done in these “mostly” peaceful demonstrations?? $1-2 BILLION, estimated below. Thank god they were so well behaved.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/asia/news/breaking-news/insurance-hit-for-george-floyd-riots-set-to-be-most-expensive-in-history-233906.aspx

jakiah wrote: »
    As usual, the football authorities have made a bollocks of it and what started as a decent gesture has turned football into a political circus where every cultre war clown has to have his say.

Yeah, they didn't understand the full extent of what it would mean to associate with Black Lives Matter and how those with ulterior motivations would jump on it and use it as a crutch to beat back at any attempt to highlight racsim.

To be fair to them, they reacted quickly and they changed it to "No Room For Racism" but try to get any of the critics to even acknowledge that this happened. No chance, they're way too busy clinging to the BLM stuff.

Most of these lads are obsessed. They'd discover their Chicken Fillet Roll had ketchup instead of brown sauce and somehow blame it on BLM!

To be fair to them, they reacted quickly and they changed it to "No Room For Racism" but try to get any of the critics to even acknowledge that this happened. No chance, they're way too busy clinging to the BLM stuff.
    They should have switched to a different gesture when switching the branding. Easy to say in hindsight I guess. And it still wouldnt be enough for the right-wing fanbases across Europe.

Theyve really backed themselves into a corner with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Irish lads, many of whom, have lived/worked in foreign countries, where being a white person is a minority.... It's shocking, isn't it? Racism exists in other countries, and can be directed towards white people...

And I don't recall anyone claiming that they know racism better than those who experience it.

I won't call you delusional... ignorant fits better.

And they say travel broadens the mind, it's a shame it doesn't seem to apply to you lot. Although I guess abroad for most is a year in Australia working on the sites and wearing the parish GAA jersey down to the Irish social club every weekend.

A bunch of crypto-racists think I'm ignorant, devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

What a bunch of clowns. Failed to qualify in a group with Gibraltar and Georgia and then doing american things in a country that have nothing to do with it.

Yeah, they didn't understand the full extent of what it would mean to associate with Black Lives Matter and how those with ulterior motivations would jump on it and use it as a crutch to beat back at any attempt to highlight racsim.

That goes both ways... including those advocates of BLM who would encourage reverse racism or expand race theory into Europe.

As for a crutch to beat back any attempt to highlight racism.. no.. There have been a wide range of initiatives over the last two-three decades to highlight issues with racism.. and they didn't receive any real degree of resistance.

Because the association continues. I don't see you disassociating, one from the other here on this thread. If anything, you're reinforcing the connection between the two.. just as much as many others are.

• Advertisement

And they say travel broadens the mind, it's a shame it doesn't seem to apply to you lot. Although I guess abroad for most is a year in Australia working on the sites and wearing the parish GAA jersey down to the Irish social club every weekend.

A bunch of crypto-racists think I'm ignorant, devastating.

Haha. Crypto-racists... Racists that keep their racism hidden.

Now that's a fine workaround for having zero evidence of someone being racist but having the uncontrollable urge to label them a racist anyway.

"You are a racist"

,"No I'm not, can you show any evidence I am?"

"No because you keep it hidden. You are a crypro-racist."

Advertisement