Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

Says the lad crying over a few fellas making a gesture that has zero impact on him. It's everyone else that are the snowflakes though.

That's a misrepresentation. Nobody is crying about it. Disagreement isn't anger or tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

JeffKenna wrote: »
    That's why I don't understand the narrative that Hungry were booing because they're racist. Could easily be booing as an FU to the Irish players for calling them racist.

3KSmnFmBPAbdw6lBZ4U0T9Chfag=.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

That's why I don't understand the narrative that Hungry were booing because they're racist. Could easily be booing as an FU to the Irish players for calling them racist.

They didnt necessarily boo it because they were anti anti racist. Some people will just boo or moan about anything anyway.
    They just boo because someone else is booing.
    I bet 5 minutes after it they didnt even remember booing it.
    I once got a glass in the back of the head for talking during the national anthem when a band were playing it at the end of the night.
    The same gobsh!tes that did it didnt have two brain cells between them, so i dont know where this respect they had for only the national anthem was born.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    3KSmnFmBPAbdw6lBZ4U0T9Chfag=.gif

Would it be possible for you to explain the sentiment behind that gif?

Doesn't really make sense in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

I guess its possible that some booed for that reason, but its a bit of a stretch tbh. There are lots of openly racist Hungarian Ultras and there seems to have been multiple groups at the game. I havent checked if the banners displayed are of racist groups mind.

Whats really interesting is that I havent seen a single mention in Irish media that we didnt kneel against Andorra but did against Hungary.

• Advertisement

jakiah wrote: »
    I guess its possible that some booed for that reason, but its a bit of a stretch tbh. There are lots of openly racist Hungarian Ultras and there seems to have been multiple groups at the game. I havent checked if the banners displayed are of racist groups mind.

Whats really interesting is that I havent seen a single mention in Irish media that we didnt kneel against Andorra but did against Hungary.

We must not care about racism in Andorra :)
    Now they'll have to kneel down before every match forever, or they'll be accused of not caring about that country.

Maybe Andorra solved racism? Someone should ask how they did it!

Its dissapointing that the media havent picked up on this, thats kind of their job. It goes some way to explaining why people say the gesture is not political when it clearly is.
    JimmyVik wrote: »
    Now they'll have to kneel down before every match forever
    How will they ever end this without it becoming a 'victory for racism'? Good luck to them with that

Maybe Andorra solved racism? Someone should ask how they did it!

Its dissapointing that the media havent picked up on this, thats kind of their job. It goes some way to explaining why people say the gesture is not political when it clearly is.

How will they ever end this without it becoming a 'victory for racism'? Good luck to them with that

Maybe some bright spark in the media spotted this.
    "Ah jaysus lads if we point that out, then we will have to cover it at every match".
    "And then when we dont cover it because it has passed its sell by date, we will be criticized for not covering it"
    "Best just let that one lie lads"
    "Otherwise we will be joining the poor footballers in having to kneel down long after we have forgotten what we were kneeling for in the first place"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

VertBlue wrote: »
    I can't believe how angry people are getting about this.
    If the players want to make a statement about racial injustice and feel that taking a knee for a few seconds before a match starts is a good way of getting their message out there, then what is the issue.

It is a cause infringing on a sporting event. People say it does not disrupt the actual game it clearly does. Also it is copying America based on an American idea/issue.

If players want to make gestures for causes they should do so in their own time away from sporting events. Unless that event is set up specifically for that cause
    A charity game for UNICEF, a game where gate receipts support an injured fan etc

There are already plenty of RESPECT signs all around grounds. They achieve as much or as little as 'taking the knee' does.

It is also interesting to note that when Irish players 'took the knee' the Hungary players pointed to the RESPECT badges on their jerseys.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Maybe some bright spark in the media spotted this.
    "Ah jaysus lads if we point that out, then we will have to cover it at every match".
    "And then when we dont cover it because it has passed its sell by date, we will be criticized for not covering it"
    "Best just let that one lie lads"
    "Otherwise we will be joining the poor footballers in having to kneel down long after we have forgotten what we were kneeling for in the first place"
    Of course they spotted it, the LOI jounos I follow are clued into this stuff. None of them are touching it with a bargepole. Would you?

• Advertisement

It is a cause infringing on a sporting event. People say it does not disrupt the actual game it clearly does.

How does it disrupt the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

How does it disrupt the game?

Presumably it slows down the start?

Presumably it slows down the start?

And that's the extent of the disruption? That the game kicks off at five seconds after 8pm rather than 8pm on the button?

Frankly i'm not sure how the players ever get over such disruption! They should be paid more or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

It is also interesting to note that when Irish players 'took the knee' the Hungary players pointed to the RESPECT badges on their jerseys.

So Hungarians are saying "we respect you for taking a stand" or " you will respect us for not taking a stand" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Says the lad crying over a few fellas making a gesture that has zero impact on him. It's everyone else that are the snowflakes though.

I literally said “haha” in the message, is that crying in your part of the world?

There are many things that don’t have a direct effect on my life but that I have an opinion on such as the homelessness crisis, the donegal mica crisis , Palestine, is that acceptable to you ?

Please comrade, allow me to have a dissenting opinion!

Where did I say you were snowflakes ? You lot are much worse than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I think the whole taking the knee was pushed more by management than the players. Stephen Kenny has been abit political already with the recent 'republican highlights reel ' shown to the team prior to the England game. This is another left wing republican type push. Kenny had to check himself when he said initially they were approached by the FAI, then he quickly calculated that he could be found out so admitted he approached the FAI...then he got the players onboard. Not alone is Kenny a bad football manager he's a left wing campaigner.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

It's always showing when a person sees opposition to racism as "political".

Normally followed by more leaps than Super Mario

Some opposition to racism is political and some isnt.

Some opposition to racism is political and some isnt.

And as I said.......
    Of the 10% who don't, i'd say the vast majority of those are also in agreement. Would many of them vocalise this? I'm not so sure. They would look to the motivations of the others (Americanisation, politics etc) and cling onto those answers. But, in reality, they don't really care about Americanisation.

The ones who are genuinely opposed to the knee taking for political reasons are let down by the others who are hijacking their reasoning to hide their true feelings and motivations

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Goodness me mark. You asked klaz to correct you, he did, yet you somehow made a direct rebuke of your claim into a thinly veiled accusation that he was lying, despite you admitting having no evidence.

And you mentioned that klaz isn't going to provide you with a link to something he DIDNT say? Is it because it doesn't exist?

Anyway, welcome to boards. I can see you are new here.

Well it was certainly mentioned by klaz and his interest in doing it was also there. He also has an interest in not admitting it and glossing it over as it wouldn't have looked great. As I said I do not have the motivation to look back through the posts at the moment. I could easily be made to look foolish if someone on an anti immigration side quoted the posts and I was shown to be wrong but I highly doubt that will happen.Perhaps I will gain the motivation to look through the posts at some point but as I said,I highly doubt it due to the poor searching function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

People don't like pathetic things. Some will look away, some will be agitated.

When there's a hundred things more relevant to politicise/highlight rather than problems some people from one separate continent face in yet another different continent...it's patronising, empty, ineffective, and thus pathetic.

Why not make such a move about travellers, to pick one closer to home? The answer is that it isn't trendy. Again, pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

And as I said.......

The ones who are genuinely opposed to the knee taking for political reasons are let down by the others who are hijacking their reasoning to hide their true feelings and motivations

The gesture is indeed against UEFA regulations, yet they have now wilted demanding fans show respect. Basically those players indulging in it breaching the rules; stirring the pot are now effectively fishing for a ban on the fans themselves voicing their disapproval of this flaunting of the rules

But we know football is nothing without the people… interesting to see how this plays out; going into tomorrow and beyond but at least we know Ireland won’t be there to stink the place out. And that’s before the match even starts..

Gradius wrote: »
    When there's a hundred things more relevant to politicise/highlight rather than problems some people from one separate continent face in yet another different continent...

So racism doesn't exist in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

718333.jpg?b64lines=IEkgS05PVyBZT1UgQ0FOIFJFQUQKIFRIT1VHSFRTLCBNclN0dWZmaW5z

meow meow meow meow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It's always showing when a person sees opposition to racism as "political".

Normally followed by more leaps than Super Mario

Do you understand a thing called nuance?

Football already has a campaign against racism and it has reduced it a lot.

Football is a game for working class people to get some relief from the daily grind not to be exposed to empty gestures and pontificating from privileged millionaires.

The wokists hate one thing more than racism and that’s the white working class and this is just their way of signaling to their peers they are culturally superior to these people.

I am against racism in all it’s forms and treat every person the same when I first meet them.

Wokists however think there is a racial hierarchy and believe they need to save certain groups as those groups obviously have no agency according to them.

John Doe1 wrote: »
    The wokists hate one thing more than racism and that’s the white working class.........

Yawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

So racism doesn't exist in Europe?

Why wouldn't the Irish football team choose to represent the discrimination against travellers then?

Wouldn't it be more relevant to Ireland, effective for Irish people to see, about a problem they can actually directly influence?

They don't, because theyd rather be trendy and thus come across as pathetic "look at us aren't we such good boys", that's why.

MarkEadie wrote: »
    Well it was certainly mentioned by klaz and his interest in doing it was also there. He also has an interest in not admitting it and glossing it over as it wouldn't have looked great. As I said I do not have the motivation to look back through the posts at the moment. I could easily be made to look foolish if someone on an anti immigration side quoted the posts and I was shown to be wrong but I highly doubt that will happen.Perhaps I will gain the motivation to look through the posts at some point but as I said,I highly doubt it due to the poor searching function.

Oh, for God's sake.

On the Multiculturalism in Ireland thread, a number of posters (perhaps 5 of the regular posters) spoke about the need to create a party which was independent of the established politicians, which could tackle the issues of immigration and multiculturalism, while also tackling the funding/influence of the NGOs. A few of the posters involved in that discussion, suggested that I be part of such a party because of the manner of my posts, and general interest on the topic. For my own part, I added, perhaps three posts to that discussion... and supported the idea (in thanking posts) that others would form such a party. In any case, it was never taken seriously by the posters involved.

You want to make this into something it's not. Just as you've popped into the Multiculturalism thread a few times to make soundbite statements, and disappeared when you were challenged on them. Come back to the Multiculturalism thread, and discuss this **** there. It has zero relevance on this thread.

I have glossed over nothing. You have made inaccurate, and vague statements. That's it. You're wrong. Get over it. If you actually want to discuss this, I'll do so on the appropriate thread, but I'd like to see you quote me directly, and discuss what was written, as opposed to what you think happened. (Especially, since you weren't part of the original discussion, didn't object to it, nor seek to counter anything that was said. )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,834 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think rather than booing there needs to be a chant - 'just play the ****ing game we are not America' - or something along those lines.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Gradius wrote: »
    Why wouldn't the Irish football team choose to represent the discrimination against travellers then?

Wouldn't it be more relevant to Ireland, effective for Irish people to see, about a problem they can actually directly influence?

They don't, because theyd rather be trendy and thus come across as pathetic "look at us aren't we such good boys", that's why.

What do you mean trendy? Did you notice that Ireland have a number of black players in the team and they gave their reasons why they were kneeling? To whoever said it was nothing to do with Hungary, doing it in a country that elected that Orban thing twice is entirely appropriate.

Advertisement