Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

What do you mean trendy? Did you notice that Ireland have a number of black players in the team and they gave their reasons why they were kneeling? To whoever said it was nothing to do with Hungary, doing it in a country that elected that Orban thing twice is entirely appropriate.
    Only doing it in countries who have specific types of parties in power is definately political.

It cant be political and non-political at the same time lads, make up your minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I think the whole taking the knee was pushed more by management than the players. Stephen Kenny has been abit political already with the recent 'republican highlights reel ' shown to the team prior to the England game. This is another left wing republican type push. Kenny had to check himself when he said initially they were approached by the FAI, then he quickly calculated that he could be found out so admitted he approached the FAI...then he got the players onboard. Not alone is Kenny a bad football manager he's a left wing campaigner.

Must be a strange world you inhabit where there are left wing boogey men everywhere, ready to pounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yawn!

Have you taken the knee at all???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

And that's the extent of the disruption? That the game kicks off at five seconds after 8pm rather than 8pm on the button?

Frankly i'm not sure how the players ever get over such disruption! They should be paid more or something.

Well supporters aren't paying in to be protested at, they are paying in to watch the game. The fact that this protest is happening at some games and not others would point it as a protest (at least sometimes) aimed towards particular groups and countries. Those supporters would likely be upset at being branded as racist in that instance (even if it's true).

I think rather than booing there needs to be a chant - 'just play the ****ing game we are not America' - or something along those lines.

Yeh. Or maybe a sign saying “**** the US and it’s anti white, anti Muslim, anti Chinese rhetoric”.

Bit long maybe.

It’s for these reasons that I welcome the Chinese century. Great group of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

What do you mean trendy? Did you notice that Ireland have a number of black players in the team and they gave their reasons why they were kneeling? To whoever said it was nothing to do with Hungary, doing it in a country that elected that Orban thing twice is entirely appropriate.

One Irish lad Cheidozie Ogbene said that he wants more done.

What were the reasons?

Hungary is mostly likely one of the countries where black people are generally not killed by police. Also much less violence against Muslims.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    One Irish lad Cheidozie Ogbene said that he wants more done.

He wants fewer shootings of black people in the US? Maybe protest outside the embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

fvp4 wrote: »
    Hungary is mostly likely one of the countries where black people are generally not killed by police. Also much less violence against Muslims.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Gradius wrote: »
    Why wouldn't the Irish football team choose to represent the discrimination against travellers then?

They do.

Taking the knee is under the banner "No Room for Racism".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well Orban is big dirty racist, and the Hungarians voted him in, so it seems like a pretty appropriate place to make a statement against racism...

If the Hungarians resent the implication that they're all racists, then maybe they should have a think about who they put in Government.

On the Multiculturalism in Ireland thread, a number of posters (perhaps 5 of the regular posters) spoke about the need to create a party which was independent of the established politicians, which could tackle the issues of immigration and multiculturalism, while also tackling the funding/influence of the NGOs. A few of the posters involved in that discussion, suggested that I be part of such a party because of the manner of my posts, and general interest on the topic. For my own part, I added, perhaps three posts to that discussion... and supported the idea (in thanking posts) that others would form such a party. In any case, it was never taken seriously by the posters involved.

Sounds like the poster wasn't too far off then.

Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

fvp4 wrote: »
    He wants fewer shootings of black people in the US? Maybe protest outside the embassy.

I agree it’s just stirring the pot -

should we need a reminder we don’t do melting pots; here we do a godalmighty stew. That’s all this ever results in

Gatling wrote: »
    Have you taken the knee at all???

I'm still waiting on my International debut unfortunately :(

Sounds like the poster wasn't too far off then.

Makes sense.

Some people will see what they want to see regardless of what's actually written.

In any case, I'm finished with this line of discussion. It's not relevant to this thread. Come over to the Multiculturalism thread if you want to pursue it.

Well supporters aren't paying in to be protested at.......

Irrelevant.

The statement was that it disrupts the game. Not that it inconveniences paying spectators.

MarkEadie wrote: »
    Well it was certainly mentioned by klaz and his interest in doing it was also there. He also has an interest in not admitting it and glossing it over as it wouldn't have looked great. As I said I do not have the motivation to look back through the posts at the moment. I could easily be made to look foolish if someone on an anti immigration side quoted the posts and I was shown to be wrong but I highly doubt that will happen.Perhaps I will gain the motivation to look through the posts at some point but as I said,I highly doubt it due to the poor searching function.

Perhaps if you don't have the motivation to prove your accusations, you shouldn't throw them out.

Otherwise it seems your whole "correct me if I am wrong" addition to your post was done in bad faith. He corrected you, said you were wrong, yet you don't accept it.

It has happened a lot on this thread.

It seems people are motivated to dirty someone's name, but not motivated to back it up

seamus wrote: »
    Well Orban is big dirty racist, and the Hungarians voted him in, so it seems like a pretty appropriate place to make a statement against racism...

If the Hungarians resent the implication that they're all racists, then maybe they should have a think about who they put in Government.

Did he invade Yemen, overthrow secular governments in the legacy and North Africa, cause slave markets to appear in North Africa and pathologize the Chinese or was that some other liberal democracy?

As I write this it reminds me that Cecil Rhodes would be very happy with the US foreign policy. He’d probably prefer that Blighty was a bit stronger in the relationship rather than a poodle but he’d be a definite cheerleader.

Anyway the most important thing is what happens in the US. Everybody look there and not here.

Perhaps if you don't have the motivation to prove your accusations, you shouldn't throw them out.

Luckily for Mark, Klaz pretty much confirmed that what he was saying was pretty much true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Irrelevant.

The statement was that it disrupts the game. Not that it inconveniences paying spectators.

It delays the start of the game which is disruptive. Yes it's only a short interlude but it's a bit presumptive that everyone will be happy to go along with this.

I think this is too deep of an analysis personally though. The big ignorant mob with strength in numbers is more likely the reason here imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Haha. Crypto-racists... Racists that keep their racism hidden.

Now that's a fine workaround for having zero evidence of someone being racist but having the uncontrollable urge to label them a racist anyway.

"You are a racist"

,"No I'm not, can you show any evidence I am?"

"No because you keep it hidden. You are a crypro-racist."

Deliberately chosen.

I'll leave this part to the mods.

Snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    This is why I've been pointing out strawman arguments...

You're not wrong there, friend.
    Strawman argument and getting personal. Please stop.
    Strawman argument. We aren't talking about this.
    Strawman argument. I never said it was about racism in Ireland.
    Strawman argument again.
    Strawman argument. Try harder.
    Stop with the classic strawman arguments please.
    Strawman argument. Nobody taking the knee thinks they will wipe out racism.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It delays the start of the game which is disruptive. Yes it's only a short interlude but it's a bit presumptive that everyone will be happy to go along with this.

I think this is too deep of an analysis personally though. The big ignorant mob with strength in numbers is more likely the reason here imo.
    Fans boo all manner of things at games. Yes it could be an issue with the gesture, just as it could be annoyance with the delay or even just a way of winding people up.

MarkEadie wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong here klaz but haven't you previously said that you are setting up an anti immigration party in Ireland? I'm sure I can find the posts by searching but can't quite recall the specifics. I believe you were genuinely trying to start an anti immigration party. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
    Oh, for God's sake.

On the Multiculturalism in Ireland thread, a number of posters (perhaps 5 of the regular posters) spoke about the need to create a party which was independent of the established politicians, which could tackle the issues of immigration and multiculturalism, while also tackling the funding/influence of the NGOs. A few of the posters involved in that discussion, suggested that I be part of such a party because of the manner of my posts, and general interest on the topic. For my own part, I added, perhaps three posts to that discussion... and supported the idea (in thanking posts) that others would form such a party. In any case, it was never taken seriously by the posters involved.

You want to make this into something it's not. Just as you've popped into the Multiculturalism thread a few times to make soundbite statements, and disappeared when you were challenged on them. Come back to the Multiculturalism thread, and discuss this **** there. It has zero relevance on this thread.

I have glossed over nothing. You have made inaccurate, and vague statements. That's it. You're wrong. Get over it. If you actually want to discuss this, I'll do so on the appropriate thread, but I'd like to see you quote me directly, and discuss what was written, as opposed to what you think happened. (Especially, since you weren't part of the original discussion, didn't object to it, nor seek to counter anything that was said. )
    Luckily for Mark, Klaz pretty much confirmed that what he was saying was pretty much true.

I'm sorry? How did you gleam from klaz's response that Klaz had previously stated he was setting up an anti immigration party?
    I believe you were genuinely trying to start an anti immigration party.
    A few of the posters involved in that discussion, suggested that I be part of such a party because of the manner of my posts, and general interest on the topic. For my own part, I added, perhaps three posts to that discussion... and supported the idea (in thanking posts) that others would form such a party. In any case, it was never taken seriously by the posters involved.

Now Mr stuffins, does klaz's response confirm he was genuinely setting up an anti immigration policy?

I see you added "pretty much" twice as a disclaimer.

It's pretty bad form to purposely misrepresent people when it's patently not true. The fact that klaz has offered to clarify and further discuss this matter in the appropriate thread is also telling that he is not arguing in bad faith.

This has happened a lot on this thread.

Deliberately chosen.

That was my point. You used crypto-racists because you are clearly unable to assert proof of racism.

I see you added "pretty much" twice as a disclaimer.

Mark wasn't far off

That was my point. You used crypto-racists because you are clearly unable to assert proof of racism.

That was my point. I used crypto-racists because I am clearly unable to assert proof of racism.

What now?

Bring back the good old days when the goose steppers were honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That was my point. I used crypto-racists because I am clearly unable to assert proof of racism.

What now?

Bring back the good old days when the goose steppers were honest.

It all feels like a giant rich kid troll project..

Which it is

• Advertisement

Mark wasn't far off

Last point on this, mark made the assertion that klaz was genuinely setting up an anti immigration party. He isn't.

That's pretty far off.

Anyway as klaz requested, this issue is not suited to this thread, other than showing an example of people pushing a false accusation against someone else to suit their own ends (deligitimising their position unfairly) which has been done on numerous occasions on this thread.

Advertisement