Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The confusing part is that they decided to continue to use a gesture that is synonymous with BLM, after months of doing the same gesture under the banner of BLM, wearing jerseys emblazoned with Black Lives Matter, with the television station having BLM logos on the screen and people are now seemingly incapable of understanding how it is seen as a BLM friendly (at best) gesture.

One paragraph.

Five BLM references.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Strange that you weren't aware of this until you had to Google it though eh?

Must have been a world-stopping scandal!

;)

It does look strange doesn't it.

People substantiating their opinions with evidence.

One paragraph.

Five BLM references.

I do tend to make reference to the subject I talk about. I do try not to deflect and avoid the topic. Does that seem odd to you?

I'm anti BLM just for clarity.

There are many examples of players and whole teams who haven't knelt, as highlighted in this thread earlier.

The fact that they're not in the forefront of your mind when you posted this tells you everything you need to know.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/56126928

Some leading footballers to stop taking a knee

I think you'll find he was actually substantiating and confirming MY opinion, after I pulled him up on his inference that there would be some sort of witch hunt if someone decided to stop doing it.

Multiple players did and he was unaware.......... which is the point! No witch hunt, people just got on with it. And nobody called Wilfried Zaha racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Anybody could think the decision to take the knee against Hungary was purely based on a dislike for the conservative populist government in place in Hungary.
    Sport got EXTREMELY POLITICAL in recent years and it would be best for everyone to stop watching it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

zom wrote: »
    Sport got EXTREMELY POLITICAL in recent years and it would be best for everyone to stop watching it anymore.

I blame social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

ok, well it seems we got that all sorted in the nick of time

now, next on the agenda...."Come on, Is murder all that bad really?"

Go

Omackeral wrote: »
    I wouldn’t boo the knee nor would I want to take the knee. A middle ground, imagine that.. What I would do is just continue on as I do in my daily life treating any team-mates, colleagues, friends, customers, members of the public the exact same as each other, regardless of skin colour. Probably makes me stupid or racist according to some in here.

So far (just off the top of my head, there are many more examples) on this thread there have been claims that:

Led Ferdinand has been called racist - No evidence.

Wilf Zaha called racist - No evidence

Sky Sports News are calling whole football teams racist - No evidence

Now there's a claim above that people who would have no feeling one way or another would be called racist on this thread. And there is no evidence of this either. Nobody is calling you racist for not booing.

There's a weird paranoia amongst a certain section of Boards.ie that everyone is out to get them, call them racist and BLM are under their beds. It's all in your head. Either that or you're just making things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Utter nonsense, it depresses me that this twaddle got so many thanks.

The Kick it out campaign has been around for decades, that has support, that is actually about stamping out racism in the game.

BLM are a terror group that have gained foothold over a police brutality incident in the US - zero evidence that Floyd's murder was race related.

I would boo taking the knee purely because BLM have been burning buildings, are themselves racist (anti white is racism too believe it or not) - and have chanted for police to be killed.

Again, make the Kick it Out campaign more visible if they want to show their support for anti racists movements, not this BLM divisive ****e.
    The Kick It Out campaign you say...

https://www.kickitout.org/news/kick-it-out-and-fsa-call-on-england-fans-to-applaud-players-taking-the-knee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

My opinion too.

If they did a handshake in the tunnel with sky putting a banner saying "end discrimination" it would be much more widely accepted and acknowledged than using a gesture which is associated with a highly contentious group of thugs/activists

100% this ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If they did a handshake in the tunnel with sky putting a banner saying "end discrimination" it would be much more widely accepted and acknowledged

Taking the knee is widely accepted and acknowledged, you are in the minority that doesn't accept it. Why should they change their approach to appease you?

BBDBB wrote: »
    ok, well it seems we got that all sorted in the nick of time

now, next on the agenda...."Come on, Is murder all that bad really?"

Go

Queue the same 6-7 posters answering this using multiple BLM references, that murder is in support of "radical terrorism", which BLM invented and that the founder of BLM, a lad called Karl Marx personally saw to it that his followers invented murder.

Billy Mays wrote: »

All optics they've been taking in by it as it's politicized now and corporations too are on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

So far (just off the top of my head, there are many more examples) on this thread there have been claims that:

Led Ferdinand has been called racist - No evidence.

Wilf Zaha called racist - No evidence

Sky Sports News are calling whole football teams racist - No evidence

Now there's a claim above that people who would have no feeling one way or another would be called racist on this thread. And there is no evidence of this either. Nobody is calling you racist for not booing.

There's a weird paranoia amongst a certain section of Boards.ie that everyone is out to get them, call them racist and BLM are under their beds. It's all in your head. Either that or you're just making things up.

It has been inferred several times that anyone who objects to these protests or thinks them pointless is racist or has an agenda.

We even had one poster who uncategorically stated that if you did not support BLM/Kneeling you were either racist or corrupted by right wing media and therefore stupid or racist.

tailorspy wrote: »
    SERIOUSLY??? Pot, kettle, black!

Ahem..... I think you'll find it's pot, kettle, of colour.

tailorspy wrote: »
    SERIOUSLY???

Yes, some people just get obsessed by stuff.

Like how, and i've just checked, 75% of your posts on this thread have been quoting me.

Some people just let others live rent-free in their head. It's unhealthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭archfi

All optics they've been taking in by it as it's politicized now and corporations too are on board.
    From that statement:
    "The boos are particularly disappointing given that just 20 months ago England fans took a strong stance against racism - backing their players during an onslaught of racist abuse directed at every black England player from the Bulgarian crowd in Sofia. We would urge everyone to show solidarity once more by supporting the team, supporting the players and supporting the knee.”

That just highlights and confirms the divisiveness of this foolish gesture.
    And I'll say it again, Bulgaria 2019 was the watershed moment that could have actually resulted in the biggest victory over racsim in football but Southgate, the FA and the players bottled it.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Queue the same 6-7 posters answering this using multiple BLM references, that murder is in support of "radical terrorism", which BLM invented and that the founder of BLM, a lad called Karl Marx personally saw to it that his followers invented murder.

Hate to be nitpicking, but it's "cue".

Why would you be so condescending towards those who oppose BLM?

Can you not even acknowledge that the organisation/movement have been responsible for incredible division between people of all races and have directly contributed to deaths and destruction of property?

It has been inferred several times that anyone who objects to these protests or thinks them pointless is racist or has an agenda.

The poster wasn't talking about objecting.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    A middle ground, imagine that..

Probably makes me stupid or racist according to some in here.

No mention of objecting. If you're going to try answer something, at least have an idea as to what you're answering.

Yes, some people just get obsessed by stuff.

Like how, and i've just checked, 75% of your posts on this thread have been quoting me.

Some people just let others live rent-free in their head. It's unhealthy!

It's amazing that you can take the time to deep dive into those statistics and yet fail to provide proof when questioned about accusations.

And most people are hugely concerned and interested in the topic of racism, obsessed isn't really applicable

• Advertisement

archfi wrote: »
    From that statement:
    "The boos are particularly disappointing given that just 20 months ago England fans took a strong stance against racism - backing their players during an onslaught of racist abuse directed at every black England player from the Bulgarian crowd in Sofia. We would urge everyone to show solidarity once more by supporting the team, supporting the players and supporting the knee.”

That just highlights and confirms the divisiveness of this foolish gesture.
    And I'll say it again, Bulgaria 2019 was the watershed moment that could have actually resulted in the biggest victory over racsim in football but Southgate, the FA and the players bottled it.

And fair play to that stance , I support it.

But why should they now allign themselves with an organization that went worldwide after a police brutality killing - again was it racially motivated ?
    - that has since shown themselves to be racist, have caused millions in damage during their "protests" , you can say that the taking the knee is not related to BLM that it is now purely about being against racism of any kind, but that link can't be shaken off, they need to do something else to get the fans support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

New to this thread but why are Palestinian flags or other political/Social signs or symbols outlawed by UEFA/FIFA and yet kneeling gets a bye?

It's amazing that you can take the time to deep dive into those statistics and yet fail to provide proof when questioned about accusations.

Apologies if i've done this. I can try to clear this up now if you wish? Please highlight the questions and I will do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

The poster wasn't talking about objecting.

No mention of objecting. If you're going to try answer something, at least have an idea as to what you're answering.

You do not have to boo to object or disagree with these protests. I would not boo the kneeling, but I object to sports being used as political vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

An interesting article on the subject:

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/david-baddiel-pm-playing-culture-war-game-over-support-for-england-team-40526664.html

“Players have rejected it is a political gesture and said the move is done to reinforce the message that racism and discrimination will not be tolerated.”

“A lot of the players have suffered racism. It’s a really good statement essentially, and we should just support them in doing it.”

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭archfi

And fair play to that stance , I support it.

But why should they now allign themselves with an organization that went worldwide after a police brutality killing - again was it racially motivated ?
    - that has since shown themselves to be racist, have caused millions in damage during their "protests" , you can say that the taking the knee is not related to BLM that it is now purely about being against racism of any kind, but that link can't be shaken off, they need to do something else to get the fans support.
    I'm agreeing with you.
    I'm highlighting the fact the vast majority of football supporters are behind the campaign to root out racism at games as highlighted by the Kick It Out statement meant to support the divisive gesture now employed while acknowledging the greatest show against racism recently was in Bulgaria 2019 - so what has changed? The viscerally subservient virtuos shíte that is 'bending/taking the knee' and it's connotations has.

Maybe crosswires?

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

You do not have to boo to object or disagree with these protests. I would not boo the kneeling, but I object to sports being used as political vehicles.

Good for you.

I have no idea what that has to do with what I was replying to the poster about. He was talking about taking a middle ground, getting on with life and being called a racist for doing so.

He has absolutely no evidence of this!

An interesting article on the subject:

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/david-baddiel-pm-playing-culture-war-game-over-support-for-england-team-40526664.html

“Players have rejected it is a political gesture and said the move is done to reinforce the message that racism and discrimination will not be tolerated.”

“A lot of the players have suffered racism. It’s a really good statement essentially, and we should just support them in doing it.”

Cue tying it back around to BLM in 5.......4.......3........

6 wrote: »
    It seems to be the go to argument against the gesture.

Basically, people aren't willing to own their views.

I'd respect someone's opinion more if they admitted they didn't actually like racism being highlighted. However, you'll see people all over social media cowardly not owning their opinion.

I bet you're the type that would heavily support "hate speech" legislation too ...

• Advertisement

Cue tying it back around to BLM in 5.......4.......3........

But it is connected to it, no matter how many little jokes you use to try and gaslight, it's still connected heavily to BLM.

Advertisement