Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Cue tying it back around to BLM in 5.......4.......3........

Stop crying because people don't like the same things you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

Genuine question - what is the knee thing meant to represent? Is it something to demonstrate how George Floyd died or what exactly are they “kneeling” for? I’m genuinely baffled by it. IMO it has no place on a sports field and isn’t going to change **** in the wider picture.

How exactly is the image of an overpaid ball chaser ( or anybody else) kneeling going to “end racism”?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

But it is connected to it, no matter how many little jokes you use to try and gaslight, it's still connected heavily to BLM.

Because you and a few others take every opportunity you can to connect it at every corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Good for you.

I have no idea what that has to do with what I was replying to the poster about. He was talking about taking a middle ground, getting on with life and being called a racist for doing so.

He has absolutely no evidence of this!

The poster said they would not boo or kneel, which suggests they do not agree with either stance. I fall into the same bracket.

I pointed out that there was poster who stated that if you did not agree with BLM/kneeling you were a racist or stupid which you are claiming never happened.

Others posters have inferred the same thing if you do not agree with kneeling.

It could be not more clear than that

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Stop crying because people don't like the same things you like.

Who said I liked BLM? :confused:
    The poster said they would not boo or kneel, which suggests they do not agree with either stance. I fall into the same bracket.

I pointed out that there was poster who stated that if you did not agree with BLM/kneeling you were a racist...........

No, this is not what was said. You're making things up now, please stop it.

• Advertisement

How exactly is the image of an overpaid ball chaser ( or anybody else) kneeling going to “end racism”?

Apparently... it's not meant to. It's intended to raise awareness of racism in soccer. (At least, that's the most I've managed to get out of any poster).

I just wonder when will it end, since I doubt there's anyone who is not aware. So.. if everyone is aware, what does it seek to achieve? I suspect that many of those booing feel that they're being patronized to since it's gone past the initial objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’m not sure the players believe they will “end racism” but they can raise awareness of the subject and, as role models for young people, show that they don’t agree with it.

Some people don’t want their children being told that racism is a bad thing, or that it exists at all, and others just don’t like anyone making such a high profile gesture against racism so will boo, and scream, to get them to stop raising this “awareness”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

I’m not sure the players believe they will “end racism” but they can raise awareness of the subject and, as role models for young people, show that they don’t agree with it.

Some people don’t want their children being told that racism is a bad thing, or that it exists at all, and others just don’t like anyone making such a high profile gesture against racism so will boo, and scream, to get them to stop raising this “awareness”.

But what awareness are they raising? What exactly is kneeling going to do to raise awareness about racism? I have seen it a number of times and all I see is a person kneeling down, as one poster above outlined the original intention may have worked but it doesn’t translate outside the US at all.

I pointed out that there was poster who stated that if you did not agree with BLM/kneeling you were a racist or stupid which you are claiming never happened.

Others posters have inferred the same thing if you do not agree with kneeling.

It could be not more clear than that

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's because if you are against taking the knee you are one of two things:

1. A racist
    2. Someone that has willingly or been gullibly enough to swallow the far right propoganda that the blm movement is some kind of organisation with terrorist/Marxist beliefs.

I just wonder when will it end.........

What it is doing is it is fostering talk on the subject, talk which will lead to real-world action. We've seen more arrests following online abuse of footballers, convictions, the social media companies are looking a their strategies on how to deal with it and will continue to do so. Just for example.

It's doing exactly what it is meant to do.

You wonder when this will end, but the above is post #1401 on a thread which is the intended result of these peaceful protests. It's doing it's job and you are contributing more than your fair share.

• Advertisement

Who said I liked BLM? :confused:

This is silly now, the poster said they would remain neutral which usually means you do not support/agree with either sider.

Once again, a poster in this thread stated that if you did not agree/support BLM/Kneeling you were racist or stupid. A bit like Ireland remaining neutral in WWII and someone then arguing Ireland was in fact pro-Germany because they did not support the Allies.

It's doing exactly what it is meant to do.

You wonder when this will end, but the above is post #1401 on a thread which is the intended result of these peaceful protests. It's doing it's job and you are contributing more than your fair share.

If the goal was to divide people more on the subject of race and what racism is, then it's job done.

The poster wasn't talking about objecting
    Omackeral wrote: »
    A middle ground, imagine that..

Probably makes me stupid or racist according to some in here.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's because if you are against taking the knee
    No mention of objecting. If you're going to try answer something, at least have an idea as to what you're answering.

Honestly, try actually reading what's going on.

What it is doing is it is fostering talk on the subject, talk which will lead to real-world action. We've seen more arrests following online abuse of footballers, convictions, the social media companies are looking a their strategies on how to deal with it and will continue to do so. Just for example.

All of which was going on before this. There's a process ongoing, and there is no shortage of advertising initiatives, debates, and other ways to express about racism in society, especially in British society. Social media platforms implemented anti-racism guidelines/rules long before this movement started in soccer.

So, you expect this to continue for how long? Another year, or is it now expected to be a permanent addition to football? (since racism among mobs of supporters or anonymous online platforms is not going to end completely)

What do you mean I'm contributing more than my fair share?

All of which was going on before this.

If you can show me another thread which has 1,400+ posts in 48 hours on the subject of racism in football before all of this started, i'll read the rest of your post.

Otherwise, you're talking through your hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As well-intentioned as that is, it's now become a thing they do before they start a match. Some clubs have already abandoned the practice, in the main as they don't feel it is a terribly useful gesture anymore.

Sorry, but there has never been a point when there is not awareness or not enough awareness of racism. I grew up in the sticks in a mono-cultural society and was aware of the negative impact of racism since before I left primary school.

I went to college in an very ethnically mixed city and my friends were and still are a very ethnically mixed group. We all encountered some form of racism or xenophobia on occasion and might talk about it at the time, but we did not spend our time talking about it endlessly because it didn't change anything.

Direct action is the answer, social media is the biggest problem with modern racism so go direct to the source of the problem and protest those companies directly. Another poster has highlighted that is now happening. My question is why it took a year or more of raising awareness, before they realised the most effective way to deal with the problem?

If you can show me another thread which has 1,400+ posts in 48 hours on the subject of racism in football before all of this started, i'll read the rest of your post.

It makes sense that you might misrepresent people considering you just admitted to only selectively reading the entirety of people's posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

On cue Alex Belfield has just published a new video this morning, interesting comments from ....:

You really are incapable of reading/dealing with the content of posts...

Fine. I''m done with you. Not going to bother trying to have a reasonable discussion with you anymore.

• Advertisement

Fine. I''m done with you.

Because you couldn't back yourself up?

It's becoming a theme on this thread!

It makes sense that you might misrepresent people considering you just admitted to only selectively reading the entirety of people's posts.

It's fine. He's a troll, constantly twisting posts, and seeking to push buttons. I've ignored him.

Done and done.

It's fine. He's a troll, constantly twisting posts, and seeking to push buttons. I've ignored him.

Done and done.

Twisting? I've asked for proof of the things being thrown around on the thread and not one person has been able to back any of it up.
    So far (just off the top of my head, there are many more examples) on this thread there have been claims that:

Led Ferdinand has been called racist - No evidence.

Wilf Zaha called racist - No evidence

Sky Sports News are calling whole football teams racist - No evidence

Now there's a claim above that people who would have no feeling one way or another would be called racist on this thread. And there is no evidence of this either. Nobody is calling you racist for not booing.

There's a weird paranoia amongst a certain section of Boards.ie that everyone is out to get them, call them racist and BLM are under their beds. It's all in your head. Either that or you're just making things up.

And now you've claimed that this discourse was present without the knee-taking, but can't back yourself up when I asked you to be specific.

No twisting needed. Your post was inaccurate and you got called on it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Can you not even acknowledge that the organisation/movement have been responsible for incredible division between people of all races and have directly contributed to deaths and destruction of property?

Why do you keep peddling this lie that BLM were responsible for wanton death and destruction?

"The Black Lives Matter uprisings were remarkably nonviolent. When there was violence, very often police or counterprotesters were reportedly directing it at the protesters."

3.7% of protest events were associated with property damage or vandalism (including damages by persons not involved in the actual demonstration); and protesters or bystanders were injured or killed in 1.6% of events."

From research carried out by the Harvard Radcliffe Institute but I suppose they're too "lefty" for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Some people don’t want their children being told that racism is a bad thing
    Is it even possible? The only way to not get message that racism is a bad thing noways is to get persistent long term brain coma. If kids contact mates, school, tv, social media or just walk the streets they will be get message number of times every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

I don't understand why the Republic of Ireland team have to take the knee. Irish history/current life has nothing to do with enslaving Africans or the Black Lives Matter protests/issues in America.

The Hungarians were right to boo the Irish team. They're a disgrace for bringing a foreign political problem to a friendly international.

Twisting? I've asked for proof of the things being thrown around on the thread and not one person has been able to back any of it up.

Ah now....

I've entertained your posts up to here.

I have done nothing except ask people to clarify why they are asserting that I am racist or what is racist for not supporting people taking the knee and I have had ZERO feedback other than snide remarks and thinly veiled accusations of racism.

What has been bandied about that you need proof of?

Why do you keep peddling this lie that BLM were responsible for wanton death and destruction?

"The Black Lives Matter uprisings were remarkably nonviolent. When there was violence, very often police or counterprotesters were reportedly directing it at the protesters."

3.7% of protest events were associated with property damage or vandalism (including damages by persons not involved in the actual demonstration); and protesters or bystanders were injured or killed in 1.6% of events."

From research carried out by the Harvard Radcliffe Institute but I supposed they're too "lefty" for you.

I suppose you think that the "insurrection" was ok too?

I mean, that was mostly peaceful.

What has been bandied about that you need proof of?

You've already failed on this pal, when you presented a post calling someone racist for OPPOSSING taking the knee as proof that someone is being called racist for not having one stance or the other.

But since you asked, i'll give you another go.
    So far (just off the top of my head, there are many more examples) on this thread there have been claims that:

Led Ferdinand has been called racist - No evidence.

Wilf Zaha called racist - No evidence

Sky Sports News are calling whole football teams racist - No evidence

Now there's a claim above that people who would have no feeling one way or another would be called racist on this thread. And there is no evidence of this either. Nobody is calling you racist for not booing.

There's a weird paranoia amongst a certain section of Boards.ie that everyone is out to get them, call them racist and BLM are under their beds. It's all in your head. Either that or you're just making things up.

There are many other options but we'll kick off with these ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Omackeral wrote: »
    I wouldn’t boo the knee nor would I want to take the knee. A middle ground, imagine that.. What I would do is just continue on as I do in my daily life treating any team-mates, colleagues, friends, customers, members of the public the exact same as each other, regardless of skin colour. Probably makes me stupid or racist according to some in here.

Not racist, but certainly ambivalent or indifferent and probably selfish if not indeed stupid.

How about if some of your team mates had been targeted for the colour of their skin?

Would you join in the final huddle pysching each other up before leaving the dressing room and shout things like 'Let's go lads, we're all in this together' or 'we're a team's but add at the end, 'but not you guys'?

Is that not what you would be doing in such an instance for fear of being accused of being 'woke' or something?

Advertisement