Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Really?

Sounds like a neutral position to me.

Now, unless you're his lawyer, i'm not sure why you keep talking for him. Give it up.

If you are not opposed to it, why would you have a problem with kneeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's that kind of take which says it all really.

Treating people as equal is not enough for you.

Do you encounter much racism in your daily life?

What sort of take is that the dunne?

The poster referenced his team mates while saying he wouldn't take the knee, am I not allowed to have an opinion or dose it become a 'take' when I want to query it?

What do you mean by encounter much racism? Racism targeted at me? Racism which is targeted at people connected to me? Racism I observe? Is there a threshold before we can empathise with people who do experience it? How about you?

Nawwww.. bless.

My whole point was that you guys were saying that BLM were mostly peaceful and shouldn't be tarred as a bad thing.

The insurrection was equally peaceful and has been lauded as one of the worst things to happen in America.

My opinion is both the insurrection and BLM were horrible movements full of thugs and violence (BLM even more so)

Do you agree?

Absolutely not.

How's the proof-finding going? Find anything yet?

Sorry, proof that Les Ferdinand or zaha was called a racist? No. I have none. I never said it though.

And there is a post just a couple up that I quoted saying that being neutral is stupid or selfish.

If you are going to request proof from me, please try to keep it to stuff I said. I was interested in knowing what you were demanding proof of, but it seems to be innocuous stuff.

Absolutely not.

I thought so.

Mostly peaceful is not a good metric.

I agree

• Advertisement

I thought so.

Mostly peaceful is not a good metric.

I agree

100% of the insurrection was violent.
    Greater than 93% of BLM protests were peaceful.

Still think they were equal?

Yes. Middle East, Asia, America.

Genuine question, why do you ask?

Because if I explained to my friends, that I thought taking a knee was a pointless and empty gesture. None of them would think I was not supportive of them which is what you are suggesting. They would expect support on a personal level, but I don't think they expect public gestures to prove my worthiness to the world.

Maybe it is a generational thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

I'm confident that a significant number of the players "taking the knee" are doing so with noble intentions. And that the rest don't have nefarious intentions - they probably don't feel strongly about it and are just taking the path of least resistance. So I wouldn't criticise the players. They're doing what they think is right. However, the chosen symbology does come with baggage.

If the George Floyd death (and the following BLM-related events) hadn't taken place, would football teams in this part of the world have chosen "taking the knee" as a gesture? I very much doubt it. Yes, the gesture goes back to Colin Kaepernick, and before that possibly all the way back to Martin Luther King. But they didn't popularise it in Europe.

Look at this thread. Lots of talk about BLM. Far less talk about actual incidences of racism in football. That indicates to me that the football teams' choice of "taking the knee" as a gesture is diverting people's attention and discussion in the wrong direction. Rather than focusing on eliminating racism from football, the attention is on attacking and defending BLM, and whether or not teams are showing support for BLM. Are they? I would argue that they are, even if they don't mean to. But that's irrelevant. when it comes to public gestures, it's the perception that matters. And the perception on this topic appears very mixed.

That's hardly the desired response to an anti-racism initiative. By that measurement, I'd consider it a failure, regardless of good intentions.

What sort of take is that the dunne?

The poster referenced his team mates while saying he wouldn't take the knee, am I not allowed to have an opinion or dose it become a 'take' when I want to query it?

What do you mean by encounter much racism? Racism targeted at me? Racism which is targeted at people connected to me? Racism I observe? Is there a threshold before we can empathise with people who do experience it? How about you?

The take of "if you don't bend the knee, you are selfish or stupid"

I was speaking about any type of racism and if it impacts your everyday life.

You don't need to answer if you don't want to. I understand it can be quite personal

Because if I explained to my friends, that I thought taking a knee was a pointless and empty gesture. None of them would think I was not supportive of them which is what you are suggesting. They would expect support on a personal level, but I don't think they expect public gestures to prove my worthiness to the world.

Maybe it is a generational thing.

How about if some of your friends thought it was a meaningful gesture? Or was a stepping stone or snippet in the greater conversation towards moving towards meaningful action, would you still refuse to do it?

Because that is what is being advocated here.

• Advertisement

100% of the insurrection was violent.
    Greater than 93% of BLM protests were peaceful.

Still think they were equal?

That's simply not true. Of all the people who were at capitol hill protesting 100% were not violent

If you count the insurrection as just the law breakers, then I will apply the same logic to BLM.

The take of "if you don't bend the knee, you are selfish or stupid"

I was speaking about any type of racism and if it impacts your everyday life.

You don't need to answer if you don't want to. I understand it can be quite personal

Except that wasn't the take.
    Wasn't it you who was on yesterday about the importance of context? The context to my post, which I will explain even though I'm guessing you got it, was that if the poster would treat his team mates fairly but wouldn't take the knee even if they experienced racism then yes it would be 'ambivalent, indifferent, selfish and maybe stupid'.

Do you think it wouldn't be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

How about if some of your friends thought it was a meaningful gesture? Or was a stepping stone or snippet in the greater conversation towards moving towards meaningful action, would you still refuse to do it?

If your friends jumped off a bridge would you do it too? Same logic. You have freedom to make personal choice of both action and thought, you don't have to blindly do something just because it's the "in" thing with others.

That's simply not true. Of all the people who were at capitol hill protesting 100% were not violent

If you count the insurrection as just the law breakers, then I will apply the same logic to BLM.

What sort of statement is that bit in bold, it is either a straight lie, or doesn't make sense?

Will we go back in to the percentages of those who attended BLM protests throughout last year versus those arrested at them and do the same for the insurrection?

If your friends jumped off a bridge would you do it too? Same logic. You have freedom to make personal choice of both action and thought, you don't have to blindly do something just because it's the "in" thing with others.

What a ridiculous comparison.

Do you know what the word empathy means? Have you ever experienced it?

No, because I would not expect someone to compromise their own beliefs just to make someone else feel better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭elvui

Wasn't it you who was on yesterday about the importance of context? The context to my post, which I will explain even though I'm guessing you got it, was that if the poster would treat his team mates fairly but wouldn't take the knee even if they experienced racism then yes it would be 'ambivalent, indifferent, selfish and maybe stupid'.

You have to remember in An European Context Taking the knee is the same as swearing of fealty being a vassal. Also a sign of subservience. Like when you propose you bend the Knee.

What sort of statement is that bit in bold, it is either a straight lie, or doesn't make sense?

Will we go back in to the percentages of those who attended BLM protests throughout last year versus those arrested at them and do the same for the insurrection?

Apologies, I did indeed mistype. I was trying to say that your statement that 100% of people at the "insurrection" were violent was incorrect. I wasn't trying to say they were 100% non violent.

That was my bad.

No, because I would not expect someone to compromise their own beliefs just to make someone else feel better.

Even if those friends were from diverse backgrounds and had experienced racism towards them?

No I don't think it would be. Not necessarily. Unfortunately, as proved in this thread, people can claim to see racism where it doesn't exist. I wouldn't take the knee anyway, but even if I was that way inclined, I certainly wouldn't take it for something I didn't think was racist.

• Advertisement

No I don't think it would be. Not necessarily. Unfortunately, as proved in this thread, people can claim to see racism where it doesn't exist. I wouldn't take the knee anyway, but even if I was that way inclined, I certainly wouldn't take it for something I didn't think was racist.

So, to be clear, if some of your team mates had been racially targeted, and the initiative of taking the knee was being considered to draw attention to this and call for action with respect to it, you would choose to not take a knee in that circumstance?

tailorspy wrote: »
    You are making the assumption that the team mates who experienced the racist abuse are in agreement that taking the knee is something that will affect positive change. It may be a hypothetical situation but don't discount the existence of any variables.

Maybe, but aren't others making the assumption that many footballers believe it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

On fans booing players taking the knee:

Would I do it? No
    Do I care if other people do it? No
    Would I prefer it not to happen? Yes

On players taking the knee:

Would I do it? No
    Do I care if other people do it? No
    Would I prefer it not to happen? Yes

Maybe, but aren't others making the assumption that many footballers believe it won't.

Anyone surveyed the fans ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

What a ridiculous comparison.

Do you know what the word empathy means? Have you ever experienced it?

It's a perfect comparison, after all you are the one equating the need to take a knee as to what your friends opinions of it are. And yes I'm quite a caring person, I just don't give a single flying **** about virtue signaling nonsense imported from the US.

Even if those friends were from diverse backgrounds and had experienced racism towards them?

My friends are from diverse backgrounds and have experienced racism as have I(well xenophobia), and whilst they might appreciate private support, they would not expect me to make a big deal of it in public. We would roughly have the same opinion, there will be always be idiots. Lets not let them hold us back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

elvui wrote: »
    Anyone surveyed the fans ?

This has been covered on the thread.

Also Google exists.

My friends are from diverse backgrounds and have experienced racism as have I(well xenophobia), and whilst they might appreciate private support, they would not expect me to make a big deal of it in public. We would roughly have the same opinion, there will be always be idiots. Lets not let them hold us back.

If your friend was experiencing racist abuse in public, you wouldn't back them up?

This has been covered on the thread.

Also Google exists.

I don't belive it has. IIRC only thing that was linked was the Footballers themselves.

• Advertisement

elvui wrote: »
    I don't belive it has. IIRC only thing that was linked was the Footballers themselves.

Believe what you want, I read it.

If I remember correctly, Dutch fans were a little less supportive than others?

Again, it's in the thread.

Advertisement