Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It's hilarious how much it bothers the angry, perpetually outraged white men. They're not racists though, no sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It's hilarious how much it bothers the angry, perpetually outraged white men. They're not racists though, no sir.

Why this fixation on colour. I’m just short of a mexi-mullet in this climate - never claimed I wasn’t racist either but don’t you get as perplexed by the teams who don’t indulge in faking a knee?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

At least two of the people on this thread arguing against taking the knee were banned from Boards in the past for... yes, you guessed it... racism. Tells me all I need to know, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

6 wrote: »
    It's hardly a generalisation. It's a fact.

Racism and football in England have had links for as long as I've followed it. Not as bad now as it was in the 70s and 80s mind.

If you have a stadium with 50,000 people there will be racists in the stadium.

Whether that is at a football match, a concert, whatever.. next Rolling Stones gig, on the big screen should the assembled patrons be prompted to take the knee before the band come on stage ? If that's the case, it’s not going to cure the racists. Racists at football matches, the same.

If you book a flight to New York with Aer Lingus, probably one or two out of the 330 passengers.. will be racist. Should everybody take the knee checking in ?

Racism as well as every form of discrimination going, will exist, for as long as the planet is existing, why ? Because it is the human nature of some people to be of this mindset... education in schools, by parents is the only way to combat it... it won’t eradicate it, neither with BLM, neither will taking the knee, taking the people’s elbow or taking the time to make a chicken curry....

don’t be racist or discriminatory in any facet of your being....and don’t think you an or should try influence people by ramming a message down their throats through bullying into something....

People who rob banks with guns, know it’s wrong, people who drink and drive, know it and they are wrong, people who abuse kids, know it’s wrong...

Racists, know they are wrong but like all the above, some people still behave these ways...

Taking the knee isn’t going to enable a racist not to be.... taking a knee isn’t trying....

It’s an ego trip, ‘ohhh look at us, we have your attention now you have ours’.

We don’t need to kneel.

As much as it's hilarious that George Floyd's death bothered perpetually outraged black men?

No.

Of course that's ridiculous, because to say that would be a racist generalisation.

Why do you find people being racially profiled, or more accurately, making racially charged generalisations, hilarious?

• Advertisement

At least two of the people on this thread arguing against taking the knee were banned from Boards in the past for... yes, you guessed it... racism. Tells me all I need to know, tbh.

Name them.

And for someone who has "recently joined" boards, it seems you are new here (but have knowledge of people past postings)

Strange.

Strumms wrote: »
    What would the BLM and the wokies say if i or whoever, suggested that instead of the knee carry on... I or whoever suggested that the players at upcoming matches used the 30 seconds before kickoff to highlight the critical underfunding of special needs services in our eduction system ? I’d probably be racist for suggesting it.

I'll tell you what I'd say. I'd say I don't think you actually give a damn about the funding of special needs services in our education system, because it's an important issue that deserves to be discussed in its own right and not used as a method of changing the subject away from the equally important issue of racism.

We don’t need to kneel.

Such arrogance. The people who actually suffer racist abuse on a regular basis feel that they do need to kneel so most of us will trust their judgement and experience rather than the ill-informed opinions of a few idiots.

I'll tell you what I'd say. I'd say I don't think you actually give a damn about the funding of special needs services in our education system, because it's an important issue that deserves to be discussed in its own right and not used as a method of changing the subject away from the equally important issue of racism.

And racism in Europe needs to be discussed and admonished, completely separate to the kneeling which is a symbol of racial oppression in America.

I would gladly do anything I can in order to eradicate racism and will never find it acceptable.

I also won't allow race baiting to skew attention away from actual racism

Such arrogance. The people who actually suffer racist abuse on a regular basis feel that they do need to kneel so most of us will trust their judgement and experience rather than the ill-informed opinions of a few idiots.

No "they" don't.

Some people who suffer racism have found that they are recieving more because of virtue signalling idiots who feel they are helping.

How arrogant it would be to claim you speak for them all.

• Advertisement

Name them.

And for someone who has "recently joined" boards, it seems you are new here (but have knowledge of people past postings)

Strange.

I'm not new here. They know who they are - there's no need for me to publicly shame them. Indeed, one of them was permanently banned under their old username around two years ago. If I, a mere pleb, am able to deduce that so easily from their posting style and interests, I find it hard to believe that the mods aren't equally aware. But I'm not about to go ratting on them.

As much as it's hilarious that George Floyd's death bothered perpetually outraged black men

Comparing the outrage towards an anti-racism message to the outrage at the death of a black man. Wow you've outdone yourself with this one.

How arrogant it would be to claim you speak for them all.

Where did they claim this?

I'm not new here. They know who they are - there's no need for me to publicly shame them. Indeed, one of them was permanently banned under their old username around two years ago. If I, a mere pleb, am able to deduce that so easily from their posting style and interests, I find it hard to believe that the mods aren't equally aware. But I'm not about to go ratting on them.

Your profile says you are here a month.

You can see how I was skeptical

Where did they claim this?

They? It was you.

Comparing the outrage towards an anti-racism message to the outrage at the death of a black man. Wow you've outdone yourself with this one.

Absolutely...if I actually did that.

Easy to believe I was drawing a comparison about the events rather than a comparison between your racial profiling.

Until you read the next sentences which you chose to edit from your quote.

No.

Of course that's ridiculous, because to say that would be a racist generalisation.

Why do you find people being racially profiled, or more accurately, making racially charged generalisations, hilarious?

That's very dishonest and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I am white. I've never experienced racism. Wonder why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Why did Ireland not take the knee against Andorra?

Why did they choose to take it against Hungary?

It was quite clearly a political move and politics should be kept out of football.

It's quite possible we will get fined as a result as it could be interpreted as a political statement t against Hungarian public life which is not appropriate for football

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

so, now we have a mind reader... I don’t give a damn about the fûnding of special needs services? That kind of fly’s in the face of the communication I sent to the relevant minister all be it through an advocate organization several weeks ago.

Nobody is trying to change the subject, not a bit, you are stretching facts to meet you agenda, every post on the matter has been inclusive of the topic being discussed... :)

KKkitty wrote: »
    I am white. I've never experienced racism. Wonder why that is?

I drive a car. I've not been in a crash. Therefore crashes don't exist?

I'm not sure of your point.

Are you suggesting white people are immune to racism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What fúcking harm is it doing? Players kneel for 5 seconds before a match, they have their reasons. Does it really make you so angry?

J. Marston wrote: »
    What fúcking harm is it doing? Players kneel for 5 seconds before a match, they have their reasons. Does it really make you so angry?

In fairness John, you are coming across as quite angry yourself.

so, now we have a mind reader... I don’t give a damn about the fûnding of special needs services? That kind of fly’s in the face of the communication I sent to the relevant minister all be it through an advocate organization several weeks ago.

Nobody is trying to change the subject, not a bit, you are stretching facts to meet you agenda, every post on the matter has been inclusive of the topic being discussed... :)

If you care about it that much, you shouldn't cheapen it by using it to deflect away from other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Its funny. From the group who called everyone snowflakes, easily offered etc lose their absolute shiit over someone bending their knee. Honestly why does that offend you, its just a knee and its bent...

Then they say oh freedom of speech when someone boos and they shouldn't bend the knee whatsoever anymore. The irony is bending the knee is freedom of expression , so they want that censored whilst proclaiming to be for free speech. Another thing their dim little minds don't understand.

Its obvious those in the England bending the knee are doing it to take a stand against racism. The thick nutters state they are doing it for Marxism and Communism and bending the knee is racist. Its just another by product of Trumpism bollox. Thickos Galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Its funny. From the group who called everyone snowflakes, easily offered etc lose their absolute shiit over someone bending their knee. Honestly why does that offend you, its just a knee and its bent...

Then they say oh freedom of speech when someone boos and they shouldn't bend the knee whatsoever anymore. The irony is bending the knee is freedom of expression , so they want that censored whilst proclaiming to be for free speech. Another thing their dim little minds don't understand.

Its obvious those in the England bending the knee are doing it to take a stand against racism. The thick nutters state they are doing it for Marxism and Communism and bending the knee is racist. Its just another by product of Trumpism bollox. Thickos Galore.

That's pretty much my take on it. I saw the Irish team's gesture as a protest against racism in football.

Interpreting it as the Irish team showing support for Marxism or Communism or for "a criminal organisation" seems quite bizarre (and probably deliberately misleading by anyone who claims it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Plenty of thickos in that England team.

Trump is fairly irrelevant in this context. Wokists are absolutely obsessed with America and trying to bring the same divisive rhetoric from over there here. (The history, constitution and demographics of America are totally different to Ireland)

I have no issue with bending the knee as an expression of free speech but what is frustrating is that in the football world, it is the only allowed political statement. i.e Palestinian flags not allowed, no mentioning of Uighirs etc.

Also, it is just simply a vapid statement which is only there to boost the clubs branding and back pocket.

The Hungarian players had the right idea, point to the Respect badge which is more all-encompassing than just pointing out racism against African Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Plenty of thickos in that England team.

Trump is fairly irrelevant in this context. Wokists are absolutely obsessed with America and trying to bring the same divisive rhetoric from over there here. (The history, constitution and demographics of America are totally different to Ireland)

I have no issue with bending the knee as an expression of free speech but what is frustrating is that in the football world, it is the only allowed political statement. i.e Palestinian flags not allowed, no mentioning of Uighirs etc.

Also, it is just simply a vapid statement which is only there to boost the clubs branding and back pocket.

The Hungarian players had the right idea, point to the Respect badge which is more all-encompassing than just pointing out racism against African Americans.

But what other types of racism in football are there? It seems to be nearly always black footballers who are the targets of the boo boys and the online hate brigade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GT89 wrote: »
    I can't understand why they are still taking the knee in Europe for something that happened over a year ago in the US

Newsflash: racism didnt stop a year ago. Plenty of it in evidence in this thread with all the thickos getting upset about players taking the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Strazdas wrote: »
    But what other types of racism in football are there? It seems to be nearly always black footballers who are the targets of the boo boys and the online hate brigade.

Plenty of ethnic slurs thrown about that have nothing to do with black people. Famine Song, James McClean in an Irish context.

Even if every slur was against black people, why adopt a politicised American gesture rather than something neutral to express the same sentiment?

History shows that it is human nature that we are tribal and a little bit racist and its not going to change because Shane Duffy bends a knee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Booing people disrespecting the anthem and the game for taking a knee to support a reactionary terror group is not racist.

A short sentence and still wrong in 3, possibly 4, ways.

Advertisement