Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭elvui

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If your friend was experiencing racist abuse in public, you wouldn't back them up?

I would call the Police.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Its the fact its being directly correlated to the blm movement in America, which has many messed up principles at its foundation. If taking the knee against racism was under another banner name it wouldn't be getting booed at the same level i suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

If your friend was experiencing racist abuse in public, you wouldn't back them up?

If it was happening to then directly in my company, of course they would expect me to back them. If they were say receiving online abuse, would they expect me to grandstand about it. No.

Just for the record, if a footballer was receiving abuse on the field and the team decided to walk off the field as has happened, I would totally support that or other such actions. Immediate, swift and effective.

newhouse87 wrote: »
    Its the fact its being directly correlated to the blm movement in America, which has many messed up principles at its foundation. If taking the knee against racism was under another banner name it wouldn't be getting booed at the same level i suspect.

We don't know that, As it's already tied to the BLM movement. Chicken and Egg here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If it was happening to then directly in my company, of course they would expect me to back them. If they were say receiving online abuse, would they expect me to grandstand about it. No.

So, if they were, for arguments sake, just pulling something from thin air here, if they were a footballer, and let's just say, they were targeted with abuse from the stands as they were playing? Would you support them publicly then? Or stay invisible and silent for fear, perish the thought, you'd be accused of grandstanding.

• Advertisement

So, if they were, for arguments sake, just pulling something from thin air here, if they were a footballer, and let's just say, they were targeted with abuse from the stands as they were playing? Would you support them publicly then? Or stay invisible and silent for fear, perish the thought, you'd be accused of grandstanding.

I doubt they would want the opinion of some footballers random friend on sky news. I would support them obviously but would be privately.

elvui wrote: »
    I doubt they would want the opinion of some footballers random friend on sky news. I would support them obviously but would be privately.

Jesus. A true friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I would call the Police.
    Is that all?

Jesus. A true friend.

i.e. privately with them.

So, to be clear, if some of your team mates had been racially targeted, and the initiative of taking the knee was being considered to draw attention to this and call for action with respect to it, you would choose to not take a knee in that circumstance?

I would not take a knee in this circumstance.

I feel that gesture has a connection, intentionally or not, to a movement which I vehemently oppose.

I would support my team mates in many other ways.

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Is that all?

Yes then a Racist would be arrested ? Would you expect me to make it Violent where My friend could be assaulted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

See previous post, you got the question in whilst I was editing.

i.e. privately with them.

Oh that's much better. I'm sure when you were a kid at school and a friend was being bullied, they'd have been ok with you standing silently to the side as long as you whispered to them on the bus on the way home that you thought it was wrong.

Oh that's much better. I'm sure when you were a kid at school and a friend was being bullied, they'd have been ok with you standing silently to the side as long as you whispered to them on the bus on the way home that you thought it was wrong.

I would have gone to the principle. They would have gone to the police. I would have sat beside my mate and privately talked about it.

I would not take a knee in this circumstance.

I feel that gesture has a connection, intentionally or not, to a movement which I vehemently oppose.

I would support my team mates in many other ways.

Even if those team mates told you the taking the knee initiative was something they felt was worthy and had nothing to do with ideals in America or anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭newhouse87

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/premier-league/2117115/lyle-taylor-blm-scandalous-knee/

Needed to be under different banner. What happens in America can not be what the rest of the world has to go by.

One giant leap for man.......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If it was happening to then directly in my company, of course they would expect me to back them.

This is strange phrasing. They'd expect you to back them..........

But would you actually stand up for them? And if so, would you be doing it because you want to or because they expect it?

Even if those team mates told you the taking the knee initiative was something they felt was worthy and had nothing to do with ideals in America or anywhere else?

Since August 2016, some American athletes have protested against police brutality and racism by kneeling on one knee during the U.S. national anthem. ... The act itself has become widely referred to as taking a knee or taking the knee.

wiki it cannot be separated at this stage.

One giant leap for man.......

Context the dunne, context, read the series of posts for the love of god instead of pulling one out in isolation.

• Advertisement

The problem is the association. Regardless of what your teammates feel, it is the association that the audience, media and others make that has importance, since your actions will be taken as support for an organisation you don't agree with.

And if those teammates told you that they felt pressured into taking the knee, and asked you to support them in resisting that pressure? Would you be more concerned with their desires, or the image it presents to the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Do you take the knee in work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Yes then a Racist would be arrested ? Would you expect me to make it Violent where My friend could be assaulted ?
    Would he?

You think the police are gonna be on the scene as soon as you make a phone call?

Absolutely.

Would you do an identical gesture to that of a Nazi salute to promote gay pride?

It is the gesture and it's connection to a particular movement I am opposed to. Not the initiative

Context the dunne, context, read the series of posts for the love of god instead of pulling one out in isolation.

I've read them all. I stand by my assertion that what was said was a giant leap

Would he?

You think the police are gonna be on the scene as soon as you make a phone call?

Nope. But you are inferring it would need to be taken to physical violence. And in that time My mate could be Violently assaulted and me. None of my Friends would expect me to escalate a situation that is not needed. Ever here of mate it's not worth it leave it. And the police will arrive in due time.

Would he?

Probably not... Perhaps we could start a movement which would call for the police to receive extra funding to enable them to be there quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am sorry I found this comment hilarious.

It implies a number of things:

1) Taking the knee is some sort of sheild to racism - it is not

2) Taking the knee is a show of solidarity against all racism and all believe who suffer racism/have suffered racism believe it to be of use and not embarrisng - that is not the case (See Les Ferdinand - John Barnes - and Wilfred Zaha for point of reference.

3) Taking the knee seems more about making those who take the knee - feel good about themselves - and feel like they are 'making a difference' - when in reality no difference is made. Nothing is achieved

It also made me think of the following scenarios:

If someone was out with a minority race/ethnic group mate and the minority race mate sufferered abuse/discrimination - would 'taking the knee' there and then solve anything.

Say for instance if a Traveller mate was refused entry to a pub would the settled fella 'taking the knee' outside in solidarity solve anything?

Or if a pasty Irish fella's Irish mate of Black Nigerian origin was attacked/abused because of the colour of his skin would 'taking the knee' there and then solve anything?

--

It reminds me a lot of the fad where people used to collect armbands for charities they wanted to be 'seen to care'.

But at least the armbands contribute money to a cause and do not disrupt an activity/pastime.

Footballers taking the knee does neither of the above.

How long before the majority footballers who now 'take the knee' realise that it is a complete waste of time?

If people really wanted to make a difference with race and so on they would be giving talks at schools, discussing curriculum with educators, setting up youth groups which go across socioeconomic and racial divides. That is real activism that real effort. It does not attract the same level of attention but over time it will bring change.

Something that is completely the opposite of of what 'taking the knee' it is merely attention seeking based on an American fad which was created on the back of American political and lifestyle issues. As John Barnes said it achieves nothing.

In years to come people will be laughing their heads off at this carry on and view it as a trait of the 20s internet age. Well meaning but completely pointless and naive.

A bit like John and Yoko's 'bed in' for peace in 1969. They really thought they were making a difference and could bring peace. Nowadays in hindsight they just look like complete eejits.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,728 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Since August 2016, some American athletes have protested against police brutality and racism by kneeling on one knee during the U.S. national anthem. ... The act itself has become widely referred to as taking a knee or taking the knee.

wiki it cannot be separated at this stage.

Feels like we’re going round in circles on here… we all know exactly why the knee was the chosen move by the premier league captains, and that it was for the visually clear anti-racist message that came with it from Kaepernick … the links to their conversations, and an interview with David McGoldrick - the originator of bring it to football - were all posted here last night, detailing why he did it, and that it was a completely non-political stance.

Incidentally, had they chosen something else to do before project restart, whatever that thing was would now also be classed as political.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So far (just off the top of my head, there are many more examples) on this thread there have been claims that:

Now there's a claim above that people who would have no feeling one way or another would be called racist on this thread. And there is no evidence of this either. Nobody is calling you racist for not booing.

Off the top of my head, it was literally said on this thread that if you don’t agree with taking the knee you are either a) racist or b) stupid.

Advertisement