Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

elvui wrote: »
    I voted for SSM but doubt that will win me any points :P

So did I. And Repeal the 8th. But I’m intolerant and stupid so….

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Omackeral wrote: »
    I’m there to play football. Anyone racially abuses anyone on the pitch, they’ll be getting a nice rake of the studs down the back of the legs.

So you're saying racism should be met with violence?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    So England has a problem with casual racism you say?

If only someone started a campaign to highlight this................ :pac:

Quick, take a knee.

Fixed it.

So you’re saying….

Ha ha can’t win can ya. A late tackle is all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You have already said it yourself that taking the knee makes a difference!

Stepping stone me eye people will only laugh at it in years to come. And it will be only the same groups self congratulating each other.

As John Barnes said football cannot solve the problems of racism

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/american-football/ex-england-star-john-barnes-says-football-cant-solve-racism/ar-AAKTFcv

Barnes said:

'I'm 100% behind Gareth to try to win the euros but he doesn't understand how complex racism is and solutions are even more complicated and he and the team are being used by the system to DEFLECT from REAL inequality in the inner cities by SOLELY focusing and concentrating on football.'

He also reiterated his support for Wilfried Zaha, the Crystal Palace and Ivory Coast winger, who was the first in the Premier League not to make the gesture, insisting it had become 'degrading' and had lost all meaning.

Barnes added: 'If Wilfried Zaha played for England and decided not to take the knee, would Southgate then say we won't take the knee and we’ll support him?

'What does GARET
    H think is the right thing to do? Take the knee, don't take the knee, or just support what the players want?'

But god bless you naivety and idealism. You have really brought into it.
    I wonder how long it will take you to realise that you have been sold a pup?

Hopefully longer then it'll take you to realise in order for things to change, there has to be call for change.

• Advertisement

Lol, you are opposing racist footballers getting tackled extra hard.

I suppose he should just kneel in front of him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭elvui

Hopefully longer then it'll take you to realise in order for things to change, there has to be call for change.

Why did the call to stop Racism start this week or something ? I knew about it in the 70s.

As I said, a late tackle. Just happens sometimes.

I’m there to play football. Anyone racially abuses anyone on the pitch, they’ll be getting a nice rake of the studs down the back of the legs.

Definitely screen writing for Dream Team. Or maybe Mean Machine.

Or reality. Have you played football?

• Advertisement

So none of the take a knee ppl like my idea of a donation bucket. You can still video your self donating for the fb page or what ever.

Lol, you are opposing racist footballers getting tackled extra hard.

I suppose he should just kneel in front of him?

So you advocate using violence to combat racism, but then accuse BLM of it and criticise them got it.

Wish it was the first time I could say you've shown hypocritical opinions when it suits but....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Things like that happen on a football pitch, people realitate. Some like Barnes chose to go the other way and score a goal.

Either way has lot more impact than 'taking the knee' it is practical.

The time Barnes flicked a Banana away or ate a Banana and laughed he won the crowd round was his approach.

You seem to be one of these 'quare hawk idealists' fair enough that is your thing. But it is devoid of practical realities. It is left up to others to make real change and a difference. Governments, community youth groups and so on.

Gullit has suggested a revolution on the racism issue at the other end of the spectrum

https://www.tellerreport.com/life/2020-06-03-ruud-gullit-is-shocked-by-his-own-thoughts-on-combating-racism.SJXPH1pNnU.html

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,728 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So you’re saying….

Ha ha can’t win can ya. A late tackle is all it is.

It’s not a great solution more broadly speaking though… you get sent off and the racist fella’s team probably win the game..

Maybe it’s a good analogy for how the world has actually tended to work though. The victim lashes back out after sustained abuse, and is then instantly vilified and punished for their actions, while the broader victimisers and their cohorts actually benefit from the racism in the long run. Do it enough times, probably win the league by default!

So you advocate using violence to combat racism, but then accuse BLM of it and criticise them got it.

Wish it was the first time I could say you've shown hypocritical opinions when it suits but....

Problem is one is a target for being a racist. The other group goes around harassing and shouting and randomers having lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Weren't you giving stick to posters before who said they would report a racist incident to the Gardaí instead of entering a physical altercation, now you've flip flopped back the other way when a poster said he/she would do something physically you rubbish it as just pub talk.
    There's no answer really is there that would satisfy you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

No need to apologise. It's not your fault you can't tell the difference between a comment and a question, and the fact that you completely missed the context in which the question was asked.

No hard feelings

Is it possible for you to reply to someone without making a snide comment?

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Weren't you giving stick to posters before who said they would report a racist incident to the Gardaí instead of entering a physical altercation, now you've flip flopped back the other way when a poster said he/she would do something physically you rubbish it as just pub talk.

It's like them people in the night club. You looking at my GF. Nope
    Why she not good enough to look at. just looking for a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I see the usual suspects are trying to derail the thread with their grossly disengenuous posting.

Thomas Sowell is a great man, he once said
    The word "racism" is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a "racist."
    and also
    If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today.

WrenBoy wrote: »

Link please.

• Advertisement

Problem is one is a target for being a racist. The other group goes around harassing and shouting and randomers having lunch.

So you agree racism should be met with violence too? Interesting.

Would be good to see a poll on this.

So you agree racism should be met with violence too? Interesting.

Would be good to see a poll on this.

No I was explaining the train of thought as I took it from the text written.

If someone is racially abusing a footballer and gets tackled extra hard, I wouldn't cry about it.

It's actually embarrassing that you would draw even the slimmest of parallels between going in hard on a player to what BLM did to cities around the world.

I know I accused you of a giant leap before, but that's next level ****.

Honestly, re-read what you said.

You think that going in hard on a player is what I consider combatting racism? And advocating violence?

Hahahaha.

You've obviously not played football (or combatted violence other than the occasional lunge)

I see the usual suspects are trying to derail the thread with their grossly disengenuous posting.

Thomas Sowell is a great man, he once said

and also

I prefer James Baldwin to Thomas Sowell;

'Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.'

No I was explaining the train of thought as I took it from the text written.

No, you were excusing one and not the other based on fictitious scenarios.

I'm sure other posters don't need you explaining their words for them

I prefer James Baldwin to Thomas Sowell;

'Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.'

Aye that's why laws and that have been created to make Racism illegal in most of Europe. Everyone knows it is. And Racist will not stop so what else can be done ? It's like consent classes. No normal person wakes up and thinks today I'm going to molest someone. Where as Molesters will and take no notice.

If someone is racially abusing a footballer and gets tackled extra hard, I wouldn't cry about it.

Exactly what I thought you were saying. You will advocate for violence to combat racism when it suits you, but shriek abbot it when it goes against your politics.

Sound!

No, you were excusing one and not the other based on fictitious scenarios.

I'm sure other posters don't need you explaining their words for them

The boot scenario is fictitious. the BLM shouting at randomers eating is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Link please.
    If your friend was experiencing racist abuse in public, you wouldn't back them up?
    I would call the Police.
    So, if they were, for arguments sake, just pulling something from thin air here, if they were a footballer, and let's just say, they were targeted with abuse from the stands as they were playing? Would you support them publicly then? Or stay invisible and silent for fear, perish the thought, you'd be accused of grandstanding.
    I doubt they would want the opinion of some footballers random friend on sky news. I would support them obviously but would be privately.
    Jesus. A true friend.
    i.e. privately with them.
    Oh that's much better. I'm sure when you were a kid at school and a friend was being bullied, they'd have been ok with you standing silently to the side as long as you whispered to them on the bus on the way home that you thought it was wrong.

Then when a poster said they would get involved physically if the event happened in a football match you called them a pub talker.

• Advertisement

It's actually embarrassing that you would draw even the slimmest of parallels between going in hard on a player to what BLM did to cities around the world.

I know I accused you of a giant leap before, but that's next level ****.

Honestly, re-read what you said.

You think that going in hard on a player is what I consider combatting racism? And advocating violence?

Hahahaha.

You've obviously not played football (or combatted violence other than the occasional lunge)

So do a Cantona so and leap feet first in to the crowd? Or has the circumstance shifted to support Omackerals contribution to suggest those being racist are always on the pitch?

WTF has whether or not someone has played football got to do with this discussion or are you indeed suggesting that a physical response is appropriate to having been racially targeted.

Advertisement