Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

Haven't said that, but I'm sure you'll get the thanks you are looking for.

In fairness, the post I quoted certainly implied that a large group of people (maybe I was wrong to say all) who disagree with you do not want an end to racism.

It's a very bizarre outlook and I'm not sure whether I want it to be dishonest or uninformed. Both are pretty bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

elvui wrote: »
    I was not the one that said it was not an organisation. the main BLM page is using ActBlue so they are infact registered somwhere.

https://www.newtownbee.com/08202020/blm-organization-vs-blm-movement-a-semantic-trap/

I'll leave that there. I very much doubt that you will understand it or want to understand it but it's all I can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭elvui

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I'll leave that there. I very much doubt that you will understand it or want to understand it but it's all I can do.

it's hard to understand when someone says an organisation is not infact an organisation. It's in black and white on there main page.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

it's hard to understand when someone says an organisation is not infact an organisation. It's in black and white on there main page.

It's hard to argue with someone that won't believe the truth despite being shown hard evidence. I also never said that. You're failing at basic comprehension. Show me where I denied the existence of said organisation. Because I did the exact opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

My suggestion is that the clubs and stadiums act to identify, remove, ban and charge those behaving inappropriately depending on the severity of the offence as laws allow.
    And that governing bodies fine and ban teams who are not attempting to identify people behaving in this way.
    I agree with the kneeling because it is drawing attention to the need for action and the more conversation there is around it then the more likely clubs/national teams and governing bodies are likely to eventually act appropriately.

What do you think should be done?

How about doing those things without the empty gestures.

Get the millionaire footballers together, get them to put their money where there mouth is, fund and set up a taskforce of influential footballers to directly tackle the issues head on, whether it be their clubs not doing enough within the stadiums or the companies who allow online abuse to flourish, or working with football federations on how best deal within situation. I guarantee taking a knee would not be top of the list.

No, no because that would require the millionaire footballers to do actually something complicated rather than take a tokenistic knee and pretend like they care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Sorry, but there has never been a point when there is not awareness or not enough awareness of racism. I grew up in the sticks in a mono-cultural society and was aware of the negative impact of racism since before I left primary school.

I went to college in an very ethnically mixed city and my friends were and still are a very ethnically mixed group. We all encountered some form of racism or xenophobia on occasion and might talk about it at the time, but we did not spend our time talking about it endlessly because it didn't change anything.

Direct action is the answer, social media is the biggest problem with modern racism so go direct to the source of the problem and protest those companies directly. Another poster has highlighted that is now happening. My question is why it took a year or more of raising awareness, before they realised the most effective way to deal with the problem?

A lot of football clubs had a social media blackout for a weekend a few weeks ago. They wouldn’t ever do this for a sustained period as they use these sites to hawk their, and their sponsors, wares. You can’t expect them to lose a few quid to make social media companies take racism seriously, much better to kneel down for 10 seconds. That’ll show them racists..............

It's hard to argue with someone that won't believe the truth despite being shown hard evidence.

Wait so the BLM man Page does not exist ? It's about a movement and organisation that does not exist ? Odd that ActBlue would allow that.

Wait so the BLM man Page does not exist ? It's about a movement and organisation that does not exist ? Odd that ActBlue would allow that.

Please read my posts and try to comprehend what I'm saying. Then reply with some intelligence and I'll continue this conversation. At the moment either what I've written is beyond your level of comprehension or you are deliberately misquoting me.

Either way I'm not going to respond until there is something intelligent to respond to.

Please read my posts and try to comprehend what I'm saying. Then reply with some intelligence and I'll continue this conversation. At the moment either what I've written is beyond your level of comprehension or you are deliberately misquoting me.

Either way I'm not going to respond until there is something intelligent to respond to.

So when Sky news and the FA used the BLM logo they were linking it to some random chapter in Argentina not Infact the organisation ? That seems very very odd indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

You seem to have a hard time comprehending if the BLM site literally has this posted on it and you still continue to deflect the organisation label from them.
    Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation (BLMGNF) today announced that BLM Co-Founder and current Executive Director, Patrisse Cullors, would be transitioning from her role, and named two Senior Executives to support the organization

I’ve never heard of a “‘movement” having an Executive Director have you? Think you need to go read a little harder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Some people here just don't understand that BLM isn't an organization.

Oh, they realise it.

They just don't let that get in the way of their true intentions when they spend every second equating anti-racism gestures and words to Marxism or Terrorism. They don't really see BLM as a true terrorist organisation.

It just helps them push their agenda in the most palatable way.

My suggestion is that the clubs and stadiums act to identify, remove, ban and charge those behaving inappropriately depending on the severity of the offence as laws allow.
    And that governing bodies fine and ban teams who are not attempting to identify people behaving in this way.

What do you think should be done?

I'm pretty much in agreement with that. Sounds good.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Oh, they realise it.

They just don't let that get in the way of their true intentions when they spend every second equating anti-racism gestures and words to Marxism or Terrorism. They don't really see BLM as a true terrorist organisation.

It just helps them push their agenda in the most palatable way.

Tell us Mr stuffings, what are "their" true intentions?

tailorspy wrote: »
    It appears your usage of the words "IS" and "ISN'T" is interchangeable.

BLM are organizational fluid you bigot.

murder in self defence

Does not compute

Does not compute

That was the point.

For clarity I was jokingly and jovially pointing out that people often argue about stupid things on boards and make stupid points.

The funny thing is about all this is that the reason this is going on is to foster discussion, to create a debate around racism, how it shouldn't be tolerated and what steps we should take to make things better, before taking those steps and making things better.

All you lot who are so against this gesture are partaking in exactly what it has been designed to do.

in 1600+ posts in just over 48 hours, you are proving that the whole thing is working. It's glorious!

The funny thing is about all this is that the reason this is going on is to foster discussion, to create a debate around racism, how it shouldn't be tolerated and what steps we should take to make things better, before taking those steps and making things better.

All you lot who are so against this gesture are partaking in exactly what it has been designed to do.

in 1600+ posts in just over 48 hours, you are proving that the whole thing is working. It's glorious!

There seems only one side providing concreate actions that need to be taken. The other is bend the knee.

edit

to be fair Tell me how, did come out with measures we all can agree on.

Yeah it is absolutely glorious. People who oppose racism are now being called stupid or racist for not kneeling or being opposed to the gesture.

Working out great.

tailorspy wrote: »
    It appears your usage of the words "IS" and "ISN'T" is interchangeable.

It appears your ability to take a quote out of context to suit your agenda hasnt dulled.

• Advertisement

That was the point.

For clarity I was jokingly and jovially pointing out that people often argue about stupid things on boards and make stupid points.

I thought you were referring to your support of Derek Chauvin and his murder of George Floyd.

Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I've been enjoying it anyway.

Yeah it is absolutely glorious.

Glad we finally agree on something.

And i'm glad to see you're still contributing to the point of the knee-taking gesture. Fair play.

Yeah it is absolutely glorious. People who oppose racism are now being called stupid or racist for not kneeling or being opposed to the gesture.

Working out great.

I'm not racist but I'm opposed to people making a peaceful gesture against racism.

I thought you were referring to your support of Derek Chauvin and his murder of George Floyd.

Sorry about that.

Ooooooooooof.

What?

My support of Derek chauvin?

Jesus man, back that **** up.

I'm not racist but I'm opposed to people making a peaceful gesture against racism.

Good for you.

I'm not racist but I am opposed to a gesture synonymous with an organisation I disagree with wholeheartedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Your right, the subject of racism has never and I mean never been discussed on here, before this thread arrived. Not in the BLM thread, not in the Multicultural thread, not in the threads about George Nkeoncho, and all those threads that were popping up on a daily basis about another minority person being killed by police in the US.

But don't you get it?

He's apposed to it because something something BLM!!! something Terrorists! Something BLM BLM! something Marxists under my bed! something!

I'm not sure if i've gotten it right but i'm sure he'll explain better........ over and over again.

I thought no one was accused of being racist for not kneeling and by not kneeling is not supporting.

• Advertisement

Your right

Cheers. I know.

*you're

Advertisement