Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Omackeral wrote: »
    Do you think it’s ok to just call someone Whitey? Simple enough question.
    Of course it's ok. Whitey, Darky...these are useful descriptors

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Penn wrote: »
    Jesus, the faux outrage is sickening...

If you can't understand the difference between what I posted and the racist abuses and injustices that black people face and are protesting against, I'm genuinely shocked you know there's a silent k in the word kneel, because that requires about the same level of intelligence to understand.

Your own post is a triumph of faux outrage.

One could consider it a serious contender if sanctimony and pretension were categories as well.

Boards is full of posters telling us what black people should and shouldn't be protesting about, and the same about anyone supporting them, and now some are outraged about a meme calling it out. Jesus wept, this place is gone to the dogs.

That's a remarkably unfair take on this thread.

People are saying that it is ok to boo a gesture they disagree with. Nobody is telling black people what they can protest.

Now people are showing that there is some hypocrisy that certain people have no issue with memes like this but would if ethnicities were reversed.

I've explained there is no real comparison between this meme and racist abuse, it is more akin to when people get bentnout of shape about cultural appropriation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

GangstaCat wrote: »
    I am really mystified by this thread.

The Irish team has I think 5 POC in the squad and taking the knee has become more than just BLM in America but a global move of protest against racism that is endemic in America, Europe and other western countries where we pride ourselves on equality and fairness.

Our own players were booed, white and black, and they all represent our country.

I say fair play to our players and some of the posters here that are aggrieved really have personal issues that it seems they are projecting into wasteful hate.

COYBIG and **** anyone that dares to criticise ANY player that represents our national team on the world stage for showing solidarity with a just cause. These players both white and black are doing more for the Irish population than any of the so called racist patriots who are allied with loyalists up north anyway. You couldn't write it.

Why was it a “just cause” and a “show of solidarity” against Hungary, but not against Andorra??

Boards is full of posters telling us what black people should and shouldn't be protesting about, and the same about anyone supporting them, and now some are outraged about a meme calling it out. Jesus wept, this place is gone to the dogs.

Who is saying what black people should and shouldn't be protesting about?

Do you think all black people protest about the same things or want to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

People should be free to kneel if they want, likewise they should be free to bop if they want.

Freedom, seems to be a concept many westerns are struggling with these days. I can easily support someone's right to do something, without supporting the thing itself. It's not complex, yet it seems to be for many, especially on here.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Omackeral wrote: »
    Is it ok to call white people Whitey as above? Should it be?

Critical Race Theory says its fine.
    Its White Privilege.

It has now swept through the worlds of government and business to such an extent that the Irish, UK and American governments – as well as all major corporations – and bodies like the FA, Premier League etc are having to decide what attitude to take towards it.

Its practitioners believe that their ideas are not just important and vital but totalistic in their interpretation and applicability.
    They can in other words be rolled out everywhere.
    This has been achieved by the claim – which increased in volume year by year – that absolutely everything in life is racist.

These people ensured that rather than race being an increasingly unimportant factor, race became the primary, most important prism through which to look at everything.

In the last year since BLM rose to power, CRT has moved out into the mainstream.

At workplaces across the world, in Governments, in the media, here on discussion forums, the offspring of this poisonous ideology is now everywhere.

Bosses and employees in government departments and private companies all over the world have repeatedly told their employees to “educate themselves” on race.

Nonsense like diversity training, unconscious bias training.

Essentially this is the old Marxist faith poured from the class bottle into the race-sex-gender one.
    Meaning is realised through struggle against those who commit wrong think.

Critical Race Theory was, from the start, an unremitting attack on Western institutions and norms in order to tear them down.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    When Wilfred Zaha stood up as all his team mates took the knee he got the full backing of his manager and the club to do so. But the whole thing was just Zaha all over, he has always been a bit of a muppet. All 400+ Premier League players were asked in December to vote if they wanted to continue on taking the knee and they voted overwhelmingly to do so. I guarantee that if they had of voted not to continue taking the knee then Zaha would have been the first to have taken the knee himself in protest because thats what he is like, throughout his career he's always had a bit of an attitude problem.

He is a player who when he was at a big club like United broke one of the golden rules of players off pitch behaviour and went and had an affair with his managers daughter. He was dropped from the team with Man United eventually selling him as a result and since then no big club will touch him with a barge pole. If you told Zaha the sky is blue he would argue that it isnt, his attitude has been questioned at ever club he has even been at. He seems to love being a contrarian and its damaged his career as a result because he does have bags of talent.

There are 460 registered squad players in the prem, not counting youth players (20x23 man registered squads). 80% voted to kneel, 20% voted against. That’s 92 players who don’t want to kneel. Zaha is one, who are the other 91 and why are they being forced to kneel against their wishes??

Edit: Going out with someone who is single and the same age as you is not an “affair”.

jackboy wrote: »
    In fairness the four day boycott showed that they weren’t serious, just like taking the knee stuff.

If they all deleted their Facebook and Twitter accounts and launched a campaign to get everyone else to do the same, then we might see things improving.

But then how would they pimp their sponsors gear??

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Words can be both offensive and criminal, again this is what Marcus Rashford and Ian Wright faced, racism because of their skin colour and death threats because of their skin colour. Both are offensive and also criminal, if you dont believe me then I suggest that you should check the laws that have already convicted racists of these crimes.

But you didnt answer my question after I answered yours. namely what is your punishment for someone who calls a black person the N word on social media just like Marcus Rashford and Ian Wright have experienced in the real world
    Is it a-
    -Fine
    -Community Service
    -Conviction
    -Suspended sentence
    -Prison

What combination of the above would you apply if you were the judge? . Or would you just let them walk out free for racially abusing black people?

Should NWA be arrested next time they set foot in the U.K./Ireland? Snoop Dogg? Wu Tang Clan? Jay-Z? Etc?? All have used the N word extensively. Should the Met/Gardai be standing stage-side waiting to arrest them as they sing the hits?? Or do you want 2 tier policing based on skin colour??

• Advertisement

Where has anyone mentioned black people protesting?? Is the entire England squad black? Is the Irish squad? They’ve been the main talking points.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Both sides are guilty of faux outrage. I mean, just look at any outrage about cultural appropriation. That's about as severe or honest as people being angry about that meme.

Yet you only ever seem to understand the faux outrage of one side.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Yet you only ever seem to understand the faux outrage of one side.

Another lie faugheen. I made it patently clear that the meme was not compatible to actual racism that people experience and was just as bad as the faux outrage of cultural appropriation (i.e silly to be outraged about)

That is clearly showing that although one may argue the meme is racist, or wearing a kimono is racist, they are both being stupidly outraged over nothing and not focussing on real and dangerous racism.

I've said it before, when people shout racism when there isn't any, it lessens its impact.

You know this only too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I've said it before, when people shout racism when there isn't any, it lessens its impact.

You know this only too well.

The word "racism" is like ketchup nowadays.
    It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a "racist."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

That's a remarkably unfair take on this thread.

People are saying that it is ok to boo a gesture they disagree with. Nobody is telling black people what they can protest.

Now people are showing that there is some hypocrisy that certain people have no issue with memes like this but would if ethnicities were reversed.

I've explained there is no real comparison between this meme and racist abuse, it is more akin to when people get bentnout of shape about cultural appropriation

I wasn't referring specifically to this thread, but the others where posters frequently wonder why black people don't protest against black people (who kill more black people than police) or say the rate of extrajudicial killings is unimportant, or why don't they protest against something else. Like the meme implies, these people believe they know more about the lives of black Americans than black Americans do.

I wasn't referring specifically to this thread, but the others where posters frequently wonder why black people don't protest against black people (who kill more black people than police) or say the rate of extrajudicial killings is unimportant, or why don't they protest against something else. Like the meme implies, these people believe they know more about the lives of black Americans than black Americans do.

What's wrong with that implication is that it suggests that all black people have some sort of hive mind and that white people should shut up when it comes to black matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,848 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What's wrong with that implication is that it suggests that all black people have some sort of hive mind and that white people should shut up when it comes to black matters.

Yet many here say they support booing players taking the knee because of BLM, even though the players actually taking the knee have said it's not about BLM but just racism.

So why boo the players for the actions of a small section of BLM supporters as if they're all some sort of hive mind?

Yet many here say they support booing players taking the knee because of BLM, even though the players actually taking the knee have said it's not about BLM but just racism.

So why boo the players for the actions of a small section of BLM supporters as if they're all some sort of hive mind?

That's not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm no football fan, but the initial framing was all about BLM too. Maybe that's changed recently, but there was once an explicit connection. I remember only a few months ago seeing a match on a channel, where there was a banner at the bottom of the screen throughout the game saying: Black Lives Matter. Once again, the conflation is not our fault, it's the fault of the people behind this stuff.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'm no football fan, but the initial framing was all about BLM too. Maybe that's changed recently, but there was once an explicit connection. I remember only a few months ago seeing a match on a channel, where there was a banner at the bottom of the screen throughout the game saying: Black Lives Matter. Once again, the conflation is not our fault, it's the fault of the people behind this stuff.

But again, the idea behind BLM, the BLM protests, and the looting/rioting, are not all one in the same. The people booing the players taking the knee claim to be doing so because of the looting/destruction which occurred during BLM protests even though that's not what the players are kneeling for.

It's very simple to separate the reasons why the players are kneeling and the looting/destruction during BLM properties. People are just choosing not to. At the very least, those people could easily just stay silent while the players are kneeling rather than actively booing.

• Advertisement

But again, the idea behind BLM, the BLM protests, and the looting/rioting, are not all one in the same. The people booing the players taking the knee claim to be doing so because of the looting/destruction which occurred during BLM protests even though that's not what the players are kneeling for.

It's very simple to separate the reasons why the players are kneeling and the looting/destruction during BLM properties. People are just choosing not to. At the very least, those people could easily just stay silent while the players are kneeling rather than actively booing.

The knee is synonymous with BLM. People disagree vehemently with that organisation. They are booing the gesture not the message.

The knee is synonymous with BLM. People disagree vehemently with that organisation. They are booing the gesture not the message.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117409785&postcount=1900

Your point being? White people shouldn't have an opinion on gestures that are synonymous with BLM? Only white people boo? White people are only booing the black players?

Nobody is telling people how to protest. People can protest how they see fit. People can oppose the gesture they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Your point being?

Nobody is telling people how to protest. People can protest how they see fit. People can oppose the gesture they use.

Unless you're telling people they can't boo in protest, of course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Your point being? White people shouldn't have an opinion on gestures that are synonymous with BLM? Only white people boo? White people are only booing the black players?

Going by the law of averages, funny how none of the players objected to the gesture.

If a white player got a visible swastika tattoo, but said it was because of its Buddhist meanings of divinity and spirituality, would you think that was ok??

Fandymo wrote: »
    If a white player got a visible swastika tattoo, but said it was because of its Buddhist meanings of divinity and spirituality, would you think that was ok??

No, because I'm actually able to consider things in context.

If the players sat on the ground rather than kneeling and people in the stands booed them, would you think that was okay?

No, because I'm actually able to consider things in context.

If the players sat on the ground rather than kneeling and people in the stands booed them, would you think that was okay?

So you’re a hypocrite?

The players have said the knee is nothing to do with BLM, so you accept that, no problem.

But a player stating explicitly that their tattoo is Buddhist, you wouldn’t believe. The swastika has been around a lot longer than taking the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Meanwhile, there was no repeat before the match today. England knelt and Croatia did not.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Meanwhile, there was no repeat before the match today. England knelt and Croatia did not.

There were plenty of boos though?!?

Advertisement