Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So 20% didn't? I suppose we shouldn't listen to minorities in this instance so.

(Tongue in cheek)

That's a disgraceful post, going by your logic of my tongue-in-cheek post.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If anything, racism is being maximised not minimised. Anything that doesn't goes against the "progressive" narrative is classed as racist.

Look at just a couple of the BLM martyrs.

George Floyd was a career criminal and a drug addled thug who contributed to the situation which led to his death? Nah man, that's victim blaming and being a racist. Let's do a protest.

Nathan Blake being shot in the back multiple times was because he was reaching for a weapon despite being ordered to comply with police directions? Nah man, he was shot because he was black. Let's do a protest.

Black police officer David dorn who was shot by looters during a BLM "peaceful protest"? ....... comparative crickets

If you don't think that George Floyd was killed solely because of unacceptable police behaviour then you are advocating for prejudicial justice towards people based on their criminal history.

Is saying what you are saying here not giving license to people to be extra forceful with some on the basis that they are a particular type of criminal? Leaving aside the 'innocent until proven guilty' ideal that is still supposedly in play, this frame of mind then encourages cops to perceive danger and to instigate violence rather than react to it.

And as said repeatedly on the BLM protests threads, no one is undermining the death of black police officers, business owners or members of the public by people attending any protest or advocating for any cause but it is understandable the anger that has built up over continued and sustained cases of brutality towards a particular sector of society by people specifically hired to help keep society safe and many of who ride in cars with 'To protect and serve' painted on the side.

It always receives more attention when a public group or organization is guilty of some unacceptable behaviour. Take the reaction to priest abuse scandals when in reality probably more private citizens committed such abuses than individuals within the church but understandably the church is put under the spotlight more than any singular individual.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    In many instances I think so, yes.

Not in every instance for sure, but in lots. For example, if I voted in favour of abortion and the rest of the country voted against it, I'd be forced to go elsewhere for an abortion.

If my union voted on unfavourable changes in my working terms and conditions, I would have little choice but to accept them. Yes, I could leave my job, but how realistic is that.

Lets be honest, Zaha can object and stop kneeling because he is black. Much more difficult for a white person to do that and not have the cross hairs on him.

If you voted against abortion and yet it was passed and you were forced to have one then your analogy would be comparable. As it stands, we haven't heard of footballers actually taking the knee against their will. Zaha wanted to stop and he did and didn't face any repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

If you don't think that George Floyd
    For a protest that has nothing to do with BLM you sure are doing a lot of talking about BLM.

• Advertisement

If you don't think that George Floyd was killed solely because of unacceptable police behaviour then you are advocating for prejudicial justice towards people based on their criminal history.

Is saying what you are saying here not giving license to people to be extra forceful with some on the basis that they are a particular type of criminal? Leaving aside the 'innocent until proven guilty' ideal that is still supposedly in play, this frame of mind then encourages cops to perceive danger and to instigate violence rather than react to it.

And as said repeatedly on the BLM protests threads, no one is undermining the death of black police officers, business owners or members of the public by people attending any protest or advocating for any cause but it is understandable the anger that has built up over continued and sustained cases of brutality towards a particular sector of society by people specifically hired to help keep society safe and many of who ride in cars with 'To protect and serve' painted on the side.

It always receives more attention when a public group or organization is guilty of some unacceptable behaviour. Take the reaction to priest abuse scandals when in reality probably more private citizens committed such abuses than individuals within the church but understandably the church is put under the spotlight more than any singular individual.

St George was killed by unacceptable police action. He also contributed to that action. That in no way excuses chauvin, but to say that George had no part in his own demise is exceptionally charitable. Charity which wouldn't be afforded to many.

jakiah wrote: »
    For a protest that has nothing to do with BLM you sure are doing a lot of talking about BLM.

For the love of God, I was responding to a poster who brought it up....

Try again. I didn't look at all of them but the few I looked at didn't call anyone racist but referred to the fact that there are racists involved in this topic of discussion.
    LOL, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Maybe one has to have been exposed to religiosity in ones youth in order for your spidey senses to be set off when you see it again in later life. This kind of public piousity in the form of genuflecting is the same human religious impulse we see at play throughout history.

It can also be compared to the applause in the streets for the HSE/NHS. There were posters here who suspected their neighbours were no longer obeying the lockdown because they had ceased applauding after the first week. Peer pressure meant people had to be seen to be on board, applauding nothingness for the sake of the nosy neighbours. I felt very uncomfortable about the whole thing. Once was enough, not the cult-like weekly ritual that we ended up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I think it's a load of b******* to be honest. I'd ne more interested in people not being racist than following the next fad or cool thing.

But, its 2021. If you don't follow the rules set about on twitter, Instagram or Facebook prepare to get cancelled

It can also be compared to the applause in the streets for the HSE/NHS. There were posters here who suspected their neighbours were no longer obeying the lockdown because they had ceased applauding after the first week. Peer pressure meant people had to be seen to be on board, applauding nothingness for the sake of the nosy neighbours. I felt very uncomfortable about the whole thing. Once was enough, not the cult-like weekly ritual that we ended up with.

Only if instead of either clapping, or not clapping, you stood on your door step and booed those who continued to clap, could it be compared to those booing those who are kneeling.

Did you do that?

Only if instead of either clapping, or not clapping, you stood on your door step and booed those who continued to clap, could it be compared to those booing those who are kneeling.

Did you do that?

That's a good point. The clapping analogy doesn't hold up

Did you do that?
    What if the clapping was for some arbritrary political cause from another continent you didnt really know anything about and went on for a year? Would you be allowed be annoyed with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

But, its 2021. If you don't follow the rules set about on twitter, Instagram or Facebook prepare to get cancelled

But cancel culture doesnt exist , thats what the perpetually offended woke crowd on here keep saying.

What if the clapping was for some arbritrary political cause from another continent you didnt really know anything about and went on for a year? Would you be allowed be annoyed with that?

We've been over this time and again.

Current kneeling actions have nothing to do with anything that went on last summer.

That aside, if you are going to a match at which a player who has been racially abused is kneeling, and you are booing him for doing so, what message do you think that sends?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

Did you do that?

Generally people boo and cheer at what the like/dislike during football matches, it's not really a behavior that people will do in their garden at their neighbors.

But if it was, I would have been tempted to boo idiots who stood at their doorway clapping at nothing because they TV told them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You're making it seem like a 'peer pressure' may only be there on one side, there are clearly people involved in booing that are continuing to do it because they feel pressured by their group to do so.

Clearest example is how I haven't seen one person be able to justify their actions when challenged in an interview.

We've been over this time and again.

Current kneeling actions have nothing to do with anything that went on last summer.

That aside, if you are going to a match at which a player who has been racially abused is kneeling, and you are booing him for doing so, what message do you think that sends?
    Thats your perception of it, its not one thats shared by many football fans. Different people will be doing different things for different reasons, its football not your local student politics society. You lads are incapable of seeing this in the light of football culture.

But cancel culture doesnt exist , thats what the perpetually offended woke crowd on here keep saying.

I thought this crowd were starting thread after thread about whatever topic they feel aggrieved about on a particular day.

90%+ of which patently doesn't affect them.

Tell me, which 'side' started threads about BLM, multiculturalism, gender identity, womens rights, me too topics, Greta Thunberg, etc, etc etc.

And then have the audacity to talk about perpetually offended. :D:D:D
    Fair play, a bit of comedy to start the day is a good thing.

• Advertisement

Thats your perception of it, its not one thats shared by many football fans. Different people will be doing different things for different reasons, its football not your local student politics society. You lads are incapable of seeing this in the light of football culture.

It's shared by those kneeling. That's enough for me.

It's more akin to your neighbour doing Nazi salutes and goose stepping outside their house every week and telling you they are doing it to support the NHS.

Then when you voice your displeasure at them doing it, saying that although you support the nhs, you really don't like the connotations associated with the gesture, they tell you that you hate the NHS and they've already explained they are doing it for a completely different reason.

It's shared by those kneeling. That's enough for me.
    OK, well next time you are at a football match you can show your support.

Maybe one has to have been exposed to religiosity in ones youth in order for your spidey senses to be set off when you see it again in later life. This kind of public piousity in the form of genuflecting is the same human religious impulse we see at play throughout history.

Your spidey senses are way off on this one.

The reason why Kaepernick kneeled was to appease the same type of boo merchant who were outraged by his original protest of sitting.

No protest for the rights of black people has ever and will never be seen as 'the right way' by some, including I suspect a decent portion of those choosing to boo the English team. There will always be an excuse why they shouldn't do it.

I thought this crowd were starting thread after thread about whatever topic they feel aggrieved about on a particular day.

Tell me, which 'side' started threads about BLM, multiculturalism, gender identity, womens rights, me too topics, Greta Thunberg, etc, etc etc.

Multiculturalism, gender identity, women's rights, BLM and metoo doesn't affect you?

Wow. I'm impressed.

It's more akin to your neighbour doing Nazi salutes and goose stepping outside their house every week and telling you they are doing it to support the NHS.
    Well no, I dont find it 'offensive' just annoying when applied ridiculously out of context and every week for a year. This is more than enough to evoke a 'boo' from any football crowd, Ive heard much less annoying stuff boo'ed at football.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think it's more akin to you getting thick with your neighbour for supporting the NHS because Harold Shipman worked for the NHS.

I think it's more akin to you getting thick with your neighbour for supporting the NHS because Harold Shipman worked for the NHS.

That's not really analogous really. It's about not liking a gesture associated with a bad movement while still supporting the cause.

The lack of self awareness by some is hilarious - talking about 'perpetually offended' and the other side being 'triggered' when they are supporting grown men who are losing their minds and throwing their toys out of their prams due to a few seconds of protest before a game of football.

• Advertisement

Multiculturalism, gender identity, women's rights, BLM and metoo doesn't affect you?

Wow. I'm impressed.

Now THAT is privilege.

Advertisement