Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The lack of self awareness by some is hilarious - talking about 'perpetually offended' and the other side being 'triggered' when they are supporting grown men who are losing their minds and throwing their toys out of their prams due to a few seconds of protest before a game of football.

The booing lasts roughly the same amount of time as the kneeling. No one is 'losing their mind', but are displaying their displeasure.

Hhhhh wrote: »
    The booing lasts roughly the same amount of time as the kneeling. No one is 'losing their mind', but are displaying their displeasure.

Oooooooh... That sounds like you are TRIGGERED SNOWFLAKE!!!

The lack of self awareness by some is hilarious - talking about 'perpetually offended' and the other side being 'triggered' when they are supporting grown men who are losing their minds and throwing their toys out of their prams due to a few seconds of protest before a game of football.

In fairness, it usually your side of the aisle that have to preface articles with trigger warnings and declare their pronouns so as not to offend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It's more akin to your neighbour doing Nazi salutes and goose stepping outside their house every week and telling you they are doing it to support the NHS.

Then when you voice your displeasure at them doing it, saying that although you support the nhs, you really don't like the connotations associated with the gesture, they tell you that you hate the NHS and they've already explained they are doing it for a completely different reason.

As I said yesterday, when you have to reach to Godwin's law during a discussion about a peaceful protest you've lost the argument and should just check yourself out.

You have to be consuming some very warped material to get to a point to compare a protest against discrimination, injustice, and inequality to Nazi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Another lad who has never been to a football match. Football fans lose their **** in the ground for the most trivial things, its part of the package. Nobody said football support was ****ing rational.

• Advertisement

As I said yesterday, when you have to reach to Godwin's law during a discussion about a peaceful protest you've lost the argument and should just check yourself out.

You have to be consuming some very warped material to get to a point to compare a protest against discrimination, injustice, and inequality to Nazi's.

Thanks for the advice but I'm ok.

Comparing two racist movements and the gestures synonymous with them is fair enough

I agree though. The warped material you mention was the BLM manifesto. Very warped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Because that's a cop out. If you don't care, don't vote.

Why is it a cop out? I can't force myself to care. It is not important to me, I have no strong feelings about what professional athletes do beyond feats of sporting prowess. They can knee, they can dance, whatever they like, makes no difference to me. The issues of racism are real, I don't think this whole circus will affect much but whatever they want to do is cool by me. It is interesting to see people being offended by kneeling though, like why? It is not controversial to me, kneel, eat some candy, wear a t shirt, whatever.

People have lost their minds if they can't respectfully sit through a few seconds long silent peaceful protest against discrimination, injustice, and inequality.

Add to that risking your team losing in a major championship because you can't control yourself and respect a few seconds long peaceful protest against discrimination, injustice, and inequality.

No one is making them like it or applaud it, just show a bit of decency but the lack of self control shows they have lost their minds.

People have lost their minds if they can't respectfully sit through a few seconds long silent peaceful protest against discrimination, injustice, and inequality.

Add to that risking your team losing in a major championship because you can't control yourself and respect a few seconds long peaceful protest against discrimination, injustice, and inequality.

No one is making them like it or applaud it, just show a bit of decency but the lack of self control shows they have lost their minds.
    Do you think this is the central talking point among football fans at these games or something? The booing is probably forgotten five seconds after it finishes, then its on to the next thing to celebrate or give out about.

No it doesn't. They are voicing displeasure at the method being used. There have been anti-racism gestures for years now in football matches that were not booed. It's the method and what it's associated with in the minds of many, rightly or wrongly, that is being booed. No one has lost their mind.

I also fail to see how booing will help cause your team tolose. Didn't affect England, indeed a black player scored the winner.

• Advertisement

In fairness, it usually your side of the aisle that have to preface articles with trigger warnings and declare their pronouns so as not to offend.

Fully aware of that, thanks

At this stage triggering is the point of the media and politicians on the right. It has become such a part that you don't even see that they are triggering you in practically everything you consume and you're acting the exact same as the people you complain about on the left - whether it is 'being snowflakes' or pushing 'cancel culture'. You're currently trying to 'cancel' this form of protest FFS.

Again, the lack of self awareness is incredible.

It's ok to be disrespectful to a gesture you don't respect.

Again, if the fans want to boo a gesture and let people know their displeasure about it, they are entitled to do so.

It's telling that as soon as the gesture is finished, the booing stops and the team are supported again. Even the black folk!!!

It's almost as if the majority booing are not doing it to support racism. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It would be great if certain posters would see when they are beaten and check out instead of reiterating the same propaganda, twisted idealogy and trying to shove it down other peoples throats.

Its the same cantankerous and disengenuous posters dragging these threads out.
    They will just keep on posting away until everyone else has given up.
    Victory by submission.

jakiah wrote: »
    Another lad who has never been to a football match. Football fans lose their **** in the ground for the most trivial things, its part of the package. Nobody said football support was ****ing rational.

You're the one who hasn't been to a match if you don't know the crowd is well able to show respect and keep others in check when they choose.

Protesting discrimination, injustice, and inequality just isn't something these people that boo have chosen to respect.

Fully aware of that, thanks

At this stage triggering is the point of the media and politicians on the right. It has become such a part that you don't even see that they are triggering you in practically everything you consume and you're acting the exact same as the people you complain about on the left - whether it is 'being snowflakes' or pushing 'cancel culture'. You're currently trying to 'cancel' this form of protest FFS.

Again, the lack of self awareness is incredible.

Not even close to being correct.

But yeah, I suppose we've been brainwashed by the "right" into tolerating vocal displeasure against a gesture used by BLM.

Man, for someone spouting lack of self awareness, you need to take a hard look in the mirror.

Not even close to being correct.

But yeah, I suppose we've been brainwashed by the "right" into tolerating vocal displeasure against a gesture used by BLM.

Man, for someone spouting lack of self awareness, you need to take a hard look in the mirror.

The same people who are complaining non-stop about 'cancel culture' are running a campaign to try to 'cancel' a few seconds long completely peaceful protest.

The delusion is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It would be great if certain posters would see when they are beaten and check out instead of reiterating the same propaganda, twisted idealogy and trying to shove it down other peoples throats.

Its the same cantankerous and disengenuous posters dragging these threads out.
    They will just keep on posting away until everyone else has given up.
    Victory by submission.

It has been said time and again, with evidence from those protesting that the protests have nothing to do with BLM.

And still you and others refuse to acknowledge this. That is the definition of dragging something out when literally choosing to ignore what those involved are saying and push your own false narrative.

You're the one who hasn't been to a match if you don't know the crowd is well able to show respect and keep others in check when they choose.

Protesting discrimination, injustice, and inequality just isn't something these people that boo have chosen to respect.
    I have been to literally thousands of football matches. There is no orchestrated campaign to boo things here, people just think its a load of ****. Were there crowds at football while this was going on here I suspect this initiative would have initially been fairly well recieved, then when people got annoyed about it going on forever there would have been pushback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Ahwell

No it doesn't. They are voicing displeasure at the method being used. There have been anti-racism gestures for years now in football matches that were not booed. It's the method and what it's associated with in the minds of many, rightly or wrongly, that is being booed. No one has lost their mind.

I also fail to see how booing will help cause your team tolose. Didn't affect England, indeed a black player scored the winner.

This is the English supporters we are talking about, they have previous. There were renditions of anti-IRA songs before the match. It has to be stressed that the boos were drowned out by applause, i.e., the vast majority of people there applauded the gesture.

It has been said time and again, with evidence from those protesting that the protests have nothing to do with BLM.
    It used to be about BLM though. People dont accept that the same gesture from the same people in the same context can magically become about something else just because its not being well recieved.

• Advertisement

The same people who are complaining non-stop about 'cancel culture' are running a campaign to try to 'cancel' a few seconds long completely peaceful protest.

And you are trying to cancel their peaceful protest.

The delusion isn't hilarious, it's boring.

Ahwell wrote: »
    This is the English supporters we are talking about, they have previous. There were renditions of anti-IRA songs before the match. It has to be stressed that the boos were drowned out by applause, i.e., the vast majority of people there applauded the gesture.
    Fair point, its important to acknowledge that some football fans are racist and some will be booing this because they are racist.

And others will be booing it because its ridiculous to have this particular issue shoved in our faces every week when there are all kinds of other things people have issues with that they might think more relevant to protest.

That isn't what cancel culture is. Cancel culture would be if a player took the knee and as a result his career was detrimentally affected like what happened to the NFL player whose name escapes me

And you are trying to cancel their peaceful protest.

The delusion isn't hilarious, it's boring.

What are you talking about? :confused:

I am highlighting the ridiculousness of people moaning about cancel culture when it is things they agree with while at the very same time trying to cancel things themselves.

What are you talking about? :confused:

I am highlighting the ridiculousness of people moaning about cancel culture when it is things they agree with while at the very same time trying to cancel things themselves.

And I am highlighting the fact that showing your displeasure about a gesture isn't cancel culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

jakiah wrote: »
    Fair point, its important to acknowledge that some football fans are racist and some will be booing this because they are racist.

And others will be booing it because its ridiculous to have this particular issue shoved in our faces every week when there are all kinds of other things people have issues with that they might think more relevant to protest.

Or of course they could just find ways of protest that doesn’t involve jeering at players, including black players, who are doing a gesture which is important to them in a context where many of them have experienced racist abuse in football and elsewhere. Jeering at someone doing that really does just comes across as “I don’t give a f**k if this is a deeply important thing to you so f**k off with it”. That’s how it comes across — ignorance and disrespect — and then leaving the door wide open for people to make accusations of racism.

Like even playing Devils Advocate here, if I really disliked the Knee gesture as much as you seem to, I’d still be condemning the booers because they are making the argument harder for you. You can have respectful banners, placards, whatever — you do your thing and let them do theirs without disrespecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Look at this utterly pathetic shytebag of a human;

https://mobile.twitter.com/we_make_ripples/status/1404754911124992004

And I am highlighting the fact that showing your displeasure about a gesture isn't cancel culture.

They aren't just showing their displeasure, they and posters here are demanding they stop.

There is no difference than the cries of 'cancel culture' from the right when others show their displeasure about an activity a right wing person is involved in and demand they stop.

You're the same as them.

They aren't just showing their displeasure, they and posters here are demanding they stop.

There is no difference than the cries of 'cancel culture' from the right when others show their displeasure about an activity a right wing person is involved in and demand they stop.

You're the same as them.

The 'cries' of cancel culture eminate from both the left and the right, as well as the center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Cordell

*someone does/says something*

- stop doing it - not cancel culture
    - stop doing it you cnut - rude but still not cancel culture
    - because you did it your career and life must be destroyed - cancel culture

Hope it's all clear now.

Advertisement