Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Foxtrol wrote: »
    They aren't just showing their displeasure, they and posters here are demanding they stop.
    Thats not what cancel culture is. Cancel culture would be people trying to get the kneelers fired. That is not happening.

The crux of this is that football fans dont care about these issues as much as young woke twitter jockeys from the anglosphere do. The further removed from the orginal US BLM movement these fans are (politically & geographically) the more baffling these never ending protests are. Do you honestly expect a right leaning football fan in Moscow to embrace US originated socio-political talking points? What is a Hungarian fan to make of Ireland kneeling at their game but not at Andorra? Its delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,687 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

jakiah wrote: »
    Thats not what cancel culture is. Cancel culture would be people trying to get the kneelers fired. That is not happening.

The crux of this is that football fans dont care about these issues as much as young woke twitter jockeys from the anglosphere do. The further removed from the orginal US BLM movement these fans are (politically & geographically) the more baffling these never ending protests are. Do you honestly expect a right leaning football fan in Moscow to embrace US originated socio-political talking points? What is a Hungarian fan to make of Ireland kneeling at their game but not at Andorra? Its delusional.

Nobody. Is. Saying. That. Is. What. Is. Expected. To. Happen.

I've literally had to type it like this so that you might pause between each word and finally understand that no one is saying this.

They aren't just showing their displeasure, they and posters here are demanding they stop.

There is no difference than the cries of 'cancel culture' from the right when others show their displeasure about an activity a right wing person is involved in and demand they stop.

You're the same as them.

Fair enough. That's your opinion.

I obviously disagree. I think there is a huge difference between cancel culture and not agreeing that such a divisive gesture should be used to promote an initiative I support.

Nobody. Is. Saying. That. Is. What. Is. Expected. To. Happen.
    What did they expect to happen then? Did they think about any context outside their own?

Its incredible arrogance to impose these anglo-centric political points and values as if they are universal onto football which is a worldwide game.

Its not the first time either - we had a romanian ref sanctioned for simply referring to a player as black recently.
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/9/uefa-suspends-romanian-referee-after-racial-slur-claim

And Cavani sanctioned for using a term of endearment 'Negrito' to his mate!
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-united-striker-perplexed-that-to-call-a-person-black-is-considered-an-insult-in-britain-r6g6hxdmc

This is the context this stuff is happening in. Football is not your woke safe space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

What did they expect to happen then? Did they think about any context outside their own?

Its incredible arrogance to impose these anglo-centric political points and values as if they are universal onto football which is a worldwide game.

Its not the first time either - we had a romanian ref sanctioned for simply referring to a player as black recently.
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/9/uefa-suspends-romanian-referee-after-racial-slur-claim

And Cavani sanctioned for using a term of endearment 'Negrito' to his mate!
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-united-striker-perplexed-that-to-call-a-person-black-is-considered-an-insult-in-britain-r6g6hxdmc

This is the context this stuff is happening in. Football is not your woke safe space.

Nor is it yours — but you seem to be pretty upset about players doing a anti-racism gesture for a few seconds while other people pass no remarks. Yet you act like all this Oh nO I’m aN uPsEt SnOwFLaKe is the sole preserve of people you happen to disagree with — and it blinds you to the fact that those you agree with on this issue can be just as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Cordell wrote: »
    *someone does/says something*

- stop doing it - not cancel culture
    - stop doing it you cnut - rude but still not cancel culture
    - because you did it your career and life must be destroyed - cancel culture

Hope it's all clear now.

Pity that isn't how the far right politicians, media, nor even posters here use the term.

Even if you want to go by that definition, the originator of the knee protest had his career destroyed by the same type of people that are booing the football players today. Add to that continued calls by them to boycott any company that sponsors him or team that looks into signing him.

Even if you want to go by that definition, the originator of the knee protest had his career destroyed by the same type of people that are booing the football players today. Add to that continued calls by them to boycott any company that sponsors him or team that looks into signing him.
    So now we are back to the protest being a BLM related one. You're all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

Pity that isn't how the far right politicians, media, nor even posters here use the term.

I'm not following any far right media, posters and politicians so I can't comment on what they use, but if they are using it as you say then they are wrong.

Canceling is wrong regardless on the side of the political spectrum. It is wrong to cancel a player for doing the knee, and it is wrong to cancel a player for not doing the knee or for booing.

What do you base the assertion that the people booing today are the same people that destroyed Kapernick's career? I didn't realise English and Hungarian people were to blame for his career being ruined.

I'm not following any far right media, posters and politicians so I can't comment on what they use, but if they are using it as you say then they are wrong.

Canceling is wrong regardless on the side of the political spectrum. It is wrong to cancel a player for doing the knee, and it is wrong to cancel a player for not doing the knee or for booing.
    Please, no balanced opinions allowed, you have to pick a side on the great BLM culture wars of 2020 and stick rigidly to it no matter how absurd the talking points.

• Advertisement

Please, no balanced opinions allowed, you have to pick a side on the great BLM culture wars of 2020 and stick rigidly to it no matter how absurd the talking points.

Well, no.
    Questioning the knee, not supporting BLM and supporting the fans' right to boo is far right these days.

Well, no.
    Questioning the knee, not supporting BLM and supporting the fans' right to boo is far right these days.
    I kinda do support BLM (not that Im an expert) but apparently Im far-right for thinking it maybe shouldnt be inserted into a Cabinteely vs. Cobh Ramblers matchday

So let me shake your hand you fellow far righter.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Only if instead of either clapping, or not clapping, you stood on your door step and booed those who continued to clap, could it be compared to those booing those who are kneeling.

Or, in the case of Priti Patel, cut the pay for NHS workers

I kinda do support BLM (not that Im an expert) but apparently Im far-right for thinking it maybe shouldnt be inserted into a Cabinteely vs. Cobh Ramblers matchday

If he supports BLM, even kinda, he's a Marxist leftie!!!!

Don't shake his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

If he supports BLM, even kinda, he's a Marxist leftie!!!!

Don't shake his hand.

Nice try Boris, but tell Ol'Uncle Joe that we're not so easily tricked "comrade" !

Loads of commonality between BLM and your friendly neighbourhood Ultras group when you think about it

Both largely youth movements
    Both anti-authoritarian
    Both villified and marginalised by the press
    Both despised and battered by the police
    Both tracked by the surveilance state
    Both made up of some decent folks but also a whole heap of headcases
    Both made up of mostly of people with radical politics
    Both made up of subgroups with somewhat divergent politics
    Both carry political influence
    Both subject to corruption and lawlessness
    Both funded by shady political orgs

Theres a Vice article in this

So now we are back to the protest being a BLM related one. You're all over the place.

You're the one that is either lost or can't handle the facts don't fit the narrative you want to be against - the original protest by Kaepernick was well before the BLM protests last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Missed the start of Portugal Hungary. I assume they didn't take the knee ?
    Can't imagine the Hunagarians would have much time for that utter nonsense.

Hhhhh wrote: »
    What do you base the assertion that the people booing today are the same people that destroyed Kapernick's career? I didn't realise English and Hungarian people were to blame for his career being ruined.

I never said the same people

I said the same type of people, the type that would boo a protest against discrimination, injustice, and inequality and the type that use the exact same talking points.

• Advertisement

They are booing Ronaldo, not sure whether to be outraged or not, ill see what way the wind is blowing first

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭archfi

Nope, no fakery at the game - during the match probably :)
    PS Fantastic to see a full stadium at the Euros at last.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

A few minutes ago you claimed to 'kinda support BLM' and then posted the above trying to take the high ground about people 'picking a side' and 'no balanced opinions' only to pull this nonsense.
    Loads of commonality between BLM and your friendly neighbourhood Ultras group when you think about it

Both largely youth movements
    Both anti-authoritarian
    Both villified and marginalised by the press
    Both despised and battered by the police
    Both tracked by the surveilance state
    Both made up of some decent folks but also a whole heap of headcases
    Both made up of mostly of people with radical politics
    Both made up of subgroups with somewhat divergent politics
    Both carry political influence
    Both subject to corruption and lawlessness
    Both funded by shady political orgs

Theres a Vice article in this

A few minutes ago you claimed to 'kinda support BLM' and then posted the above trying to take the high ground about people 'picking a side' and 'no balanced opinions' only to pull this nonsense.
    Do you never get tired listening to yourself?

https://www.the42.ie/greece-fumes-at-north-macedonia-over-initials-on-euro-2020-shirt-5467471-Jun2021/

More politics, every nationalist in Europe looking to score points now political wankery is allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

https://www.the42.ie/greece-fumes-at-north-macedonia-over-initials-on-euro-2020-shirt-5467471-Jun2021/

More politics, every nationalist in Europe looking to score points now political wankery is allowed

Ehhh that looks to be a dispute over an alleged breach of a treaty provision rather than just being some random out-of-the-blue grievance.

Ehhh that looks to be a dispute over an alleged breach of a treaty provision rather than just being some random out-of-the-blue grievance.

They'll tie themselves in knots and ignore every piece of evidence to blame every problem on BLM

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You referring to the same Hungary whose refugee and migrants policies are in breach of international human rights conventions and whose leader is a racist xenophobe?

They'll tie themselves in knots and ignore every piece of evidence to blame every problem on BLM
    It started with the poppy, not BLM. Try and keep up.

Heres some background on the off chance you want to educate yourself instead of indulging in constant outrage masturbation

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-fifa-protests-idUSKBN2BI2FN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

You referring to the same Hungary whose refugee and migrants policies are in breach of international human rights conventions and whose leader is a racist xenophobe?

Yeah those Hungarians. Serving them well based on their attendance today, isn’t it?

And in full song. Not a muzzle on sight

Advertisement