Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

39% is a pretty large proportion of people to be alienating. It seems pretty daft to suggest 39% of people are racist. Maybe the FA should consider changing their antiracism messaging to something less divisive?

But....but...but... Gareth Southgate said it was a lovely gesture that was nothing to do with the other thing they did the same identical gesture for..... How dare you demand black people protest the way the white man decides for them.....poor little white fragility....

(Repeat as required)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Are you making the case for supporting people to boo the knee. Because if you are, fair point.

Kneel if you want, but people are free to voice their displeasure.

Actually yes I agree with you 100% here. I'm fine with both the kneeling and the booing. Might aswell let everyone air their feelings, we will all be better for it.

But the op seems to think we all must pick a side apparently.

Actually yes I agree with you 100% here. I'm fine with both the kneeling and the booing. Might aswell let everyone air their feelings, we will all be better for it.

But the op seems to think we all must pick a side apparently.

I'm completely with you. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

When the crowd booed England for taking the knee against Ukraine, George Hamilton had a weird take on it. He tried to make it out that the fans booing, were directing it at Ukraine because they didn't take the knee. OK?

sligeach wrote: »
    When the crowd booed England for taking the knee against Ukraine, George Hamilton had a weird take on it. He tried to make it out that the fans booing, were directing it at Ukraine because they didn't take the knee. OK?

In fairness, if you listen to George Hamilton, you get what you deserve!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You lads should start your own little protest for racism against white people then.

The first two words tells me everything I need to know. It’s so high and mighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

People are discussing the act of taking the knee.

Surely if this act was having the desired effect then we would be discussing racism and it's effects instead. This taking the knee was a poor idea to start with and has now become the issue rather than highlight a greater societal issue like it was intended.

The very simple fact remains that if we want to discuss racism in a serious manner then we need to be adult about it. This applies to any other serious issue.

A very direct conversation needs to be had to address this issue in a proper fashion but with the current atmosphere this is not possible.

Surely if this act was having the desired effect then we would be discussing racism and it's effects instead. This taking the knee was a poor idea to start with and has now become the issue rather than highlight a greater societal issue like it was intended.

The very simple fact remains that if we want to discuss racism in a serious manner then we need to be adult about it. This applies to any other serious issue.

A very direct conversation needs to be had to address this issue in a proper fashion but with the current atmosphere this is not possible.

I agree to an extent.

I honestly think that conversations around racism and racism being a focal point are moot. How do you address it? At this stage, everyone is more than aware of racism and thankfully, society as a whole rejects it. There will always be racists. Let them exist but ignore the dickheads.

It does seem though, the more emphasis on treating "people of colour" as victims, the more it divides us.

Perhaps just treating each other kindly, and having less of a focus on colour would be a better way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When concerts start again will the band be kneeling before they start playing?

Perhaps just treating each other kindly, and having less of a focus on colour would be a better way forward.
    That's blasphemy according to the new race theory.

• Advertisement

Lads, I've been kneeling every day for 10 minutes in protest against racism, and racism is still happening.

What am I doing wrong?

Have you made sure to tell everyone not kneeling that they're racist?

Is your hair still its natural colour? Have you tried dyeing it green?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

biko wrote: »
    When concerts start again will the band be kneeling before they start playing?

Perhaps you should contact the Band Association of England or the Union of European Band Associations to find out what kind of anti-racism actions they have planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

francois wrote: »
    Still, a minority is a minority

But some would have you believe that that minority are all racist for booing it/being against it? Or maybe I've got this wrong...

Again, I can't see why they don't drop the kneeling, put a tag on every game jersey with "Racist Out" or some other anti-racism message. Have it on the fan Jerseys too. That would have more of an impact, imo, than a millionaire taking a knee before a game. But, they won't do that I reckon, because the "racists" (which include all the people who aren't racist but don't want any of this craic in their "entertainment") won't buy them then.

There's so many ways to get this message across (not that it's needed anymore, imo, if you're still racist in a developed country after the last few years, people millionaires taking a knee won't change that). Remove the knee, put in something else, and you'll see that 39% (and even that 7%) change downwards.

But some would have you believe that that minority are all racist for booing it/being against it? Or maybe I've got this wrong...

Again, I can't see why they don't drop the kneeling, put a tag on every game jersey with "Racist Out" or some other anti-racism message. Have it on the fan Jerseys too. That would have more of an impact, imo, than a millionaire taking a knee before a game. But, they won't do that I reckon, because the "racists" (which include all the people who aren't racist but don't want any of this craic in their "entertainment") won't buy them then.

There's so many ways to get this message across (not that it's needed anymore, imo, if you're still racist in a developed country after the last few years, people millionaires taking a knee won't change that). Remove the knee, put in something else, and you'll see that 39% (and even that 7%) change downwards.

Sadly, a lot of people care more about being seen as anti racist, than actually being anti racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Outside of a courthouse as part of a civil rights march so pretending it was an apolitical gesture is a tad dishonest, it wasn't a prayer meet. On top of that his daughter views it as a political gesture. Meanwhile you're making the huge leap that he would be disgusted by peaceful protesting..

Peaceful protesting doesn’t cause over 1 BILLION worth of insured damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

What I find hilarious is the same people taking a knee will say Trump was divisive and that makes him a moron, yet here they are being utterly divisive themselves.

But of course, their goal isn't to end racism or anything like that, they're just trying to add meaning to their lives. They think if they join a cause (even one they haven't thought through), the emptiness in their lives will go away.

What they don't understand is meaning comes from family and responsibility. No amount of Apple products or posts on social media are going to give it to you.

Allinall wrote: »
    What’s political about being against racism?

How is taking a knee stopping racism?

Fandymo wrote: »

The only thing it appears to be achieving is dividing society even further while the knee taking attention seekers get to feel like important activists.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    The only thing it appears to be achieving is dividing society even further while the knee taking attention seekers get to feel like important activists.

100%. The same slactivists who’ll tell anyone who’ll listen that black people in the US deserve reparations for slavery, whilst ignoring the ongoing present day slave trade in Africa.

• Advertisement

What does it matter what we think?
    Why should we have the right to tell people what they can or cannot do as a form of peaceful protest?

Right so, let's close down boards.ie.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Right so, let's close down boards.ie.

I mean in terms of whether people should or should not take the knee. The point is that they can express themselves and we should support the right to do so whether we agree with the protest or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I mean in terms of whether people should or should not take the knee. The point is that they can express themselves and we should support the right to do so whether we agree with the protest or not.

I thought it was assumed they can "express themselves" seeing as that's what they've been doing all along.

I agree with this but we should also be allowed not support them.

I fully agree with them being booed. They should be ridiculed for being pathetic dishonest attention seekers.

Why should we have the right to tell people what they can or cannot do as a form of peaceful protest?

Like booing, as a form of peaceful protest?

Like booing, as a form of peaceful protest?

Yeah as I stated above, I'm fine with the booing too. I don't know why people get so animated by the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭archfi

I'm fairly certain this poll was the opposite way around before the downtime?😀

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Going by the google cache it was

Yes 106

No 261

on 30 Jun

Yes 114

No 284

6th July

• Advertisement
Advertisement