Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wash your club after every swing?

Options
  • 09-06-2021 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone, do you wash your golf club and golf balls after every swing? Does it perform better if washed cleanly? If yes, any recommend for a club cleaner under 50? thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Only the grooves on the face of the club need washed/cleaned after every shot.

A simple little groove cleaner wouldn't cost more than a couple of quid in the pro shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Cleaned after every round with an old toothbrush and warm soapy water.

Grips scrubbed monthly.

Hate seeing playing partners clubs with months of dirt on the clubface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

In this warm weather I use two towels. One I wet in the clubhouse before the round and one dry one on the opposite side of the bag.

Use a small brush like this for heavy dirt https://ie.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-golf-opti-cleaning-brush-870133#colcode=87013390

Then a quick wipe with the wet towel followed by the dry towel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

After every swing? My clubs are lucky if they get a dirty towel run over them after every round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Kiith wrote: »
    After every swing? My clubs are lucky if they get a dirty towel run over them after every round.

id wipe it with a towel after a shot if theres a bit of dirt on it and then if im waiting to play and standing idle will use the little tool with the wire brush to clean grooves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Clean them down after every round with a tootbrush and warm soapy water.

Wouldn't clean them after every shot but if they are dirty or the grooves full of dirt when i take them out for the next shot I give them a spray of water and keep an electric toothbrush head on the side of my bag to give them a quick scrub and then dry off with a towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I give them a good scrub every lockdown, without fail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Used to give them a good wash after rounds, then went to a good wash before outings, now it's maybe once or twice a year.
    Was due to change my grips last year but with LD just played fek all last year, only one round this year so not going to bother to change now, will do them all in the Spring

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Clean the grooves before the next shot using one of these

They get a good clean every few rounds, grips once they feel like they are getting slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I can't remember the last time I cleaned them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Wet a towel before my round, hang it on the bag and clean the club i am about to use before every shot. (irons anyway, I don't do the woods)
    They are never that dirty really so it just takes a quick wipe and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I'm like Bernhardt Langer. If they've played badly, I chuck them in a barrel of cold rainwater and leave them overnight to teach them a lesson!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

PARlance wrote: »
    I give them a good scrub every lockdown, without fail.

Nail on the head for me :)

Quick rub of the towel after a shot if dirt left and scrape dirty grooves with a tee or my nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Generally wipe down each club after every shot, if its an approach shot where I've taken a divot or I can see grass on the face I'll use brush to clear off the grooves. Will often wet the towel as well as others have mentioned. If its a bunker shot I'll spend a bit more time cleaning them. I clean the clubs in soapy water once every couple of weeks probably.

For those that don't clean their clubs, do you not worry about the impact of dirty clubs on your shots? I know its not likely to make a massive difference for mid to long irons but I would not feel at all confident with a dirty club standing over a ball, particularly where precision is required like around the greens. If your wedges are dirty and grooves are manky then you're basically giving up the advantage of modern grooves IMO. I would say I spend the most time making sure my wedges are clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It has been said that I have everything including the kitchen sink in my golf bag, but I assure you it's not true. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Clare09

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Clean the grooves before the next shot using one of

They get a good clean every few rounds, grips once they feel like they are getting slick.

yes this one seems good

Advertisement