Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle Camping

Options
  • 09-06-2021 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

Just setting up a new thread so anyone interested in motorcycle camping can just look on here for tips and all that ****.

I'm new to motorcycle camping myself, but have done hiking and camping quite a few times over the year.

Biggest thing for me is deciding on going hard or soft panniers.
    I went with Soft panniers on the DR to save weight when on trails incase I drop the bike or do something stupid.
    If I was taking main roads I'd probally have taken the bigger bike with hard panniers for security.

Get drybags as well for everything, nothing worse than finding everything is wet after a day of riding.
    My tent is just a cheap decathalon 3 person tent I had from a few years ago, but I'd recommend a lightweight 2 person tent minimum, mainly so you have space to keep your gear in the tent too beside you and not leave it out in the open.

Theres other **** too to bring, but I'll put up a post on that later on. I'm prepping the bike soon for the French TET so can get pictures of that as well for anyone interested. heading from Cherbourg to Monaco and then might go up through Italy to get to Switzerland.

m6GDl7Z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Great idea for a thread. I've mentioned it to the missus that I'd like to go camping with the bikes. My GSA is a workhorse and has plenty of carrying capacity.

What's the story with wild camping in Ireland, is there any no-go places ? Not a fan of campsites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

D3V!L wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread. I've mentioned it to the missus that I'd like to go camping with the bikes. My GSA is a workhorse and has plenty of carrying capacity.

What's the story with wild camping in Ireland, is there any no-go places ? Not a fan of campsites.

Its pretty gray area unfortunatly from what I understand.
    We camped out in some forestry area, if theres Landrover / 4x4 tracks going up and no private, keep out sign its usually ok for one night and then move on.

I bring bin bags in one of the side pockets and have this grill for a camp fire, so its pretty contained and then no mess left over.

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/uco--flatpack-firepit--grill-mini-35354-p.asp

one of the lads I head out with knows the areas pretty well for camping, so we pick a general location and then scout around for public land thats hard for cars to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Very hard to wild camp in Ireland especially on a bike as a lot of land blocked off or made inaccessible because of our eh wandering nomad ethic culture.

Would recommend camping in Europe for sure have done it numerous times and the Pyrennes or Picos is my go to locations. I bought these a few year back to throw over the back of my Bandit 1250 and they are amazing. I get all my camping gear and cloths in them and have a tankbag for everything else i need at hand.

https://www.motea.com/en/motorbike-tail-bag-bagtecs-sx70-rear-seat-bag-70ltr-waterproof-in-black-188809-0?gclid=5h0pp1n9-en&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzYGGBhCTARIsAHdMTQyiqAOVyZ6OCWqgqVZ9BsGIYPLzbIiu45drPpnZqmrJ04gveiccFHgaAkqoEALw_wcB

Will be interesting on the back of the MT09 this year for my 3 week tour in August

I'm running the andy-strapz panniers, got a set off ebay last year as they were a good price (second hand on ebay anyway)
    https://www.andystrapz.com/product/expedition-pannierz
    I've the tent strapped to the back and then keep everything else in the panniers.
    Keep my tool roll on the top of the pannier for easy access incase it was needed.
    Currently one is off for repair as a friend melted the corner on his Tenere 700 exhaust.

Might upgrade my tent to a lighter one though.

Did you travel the TET for Pyrennes?
    Myself and Dad are both taking DR650se for this trip.
    Looking at either keeping the E07+ on the DR or else getting MotOz tractionators, but I'm not sure what the Terrain will be like.
    I did like the E07+ over the weekend, handles really well on gravel and the main road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭omerin

This Scottish company do great waterproof bags in all shapes and sizes and very reasonable

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle-Dry-Bags.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Did a couple nights moto-camping with the missus last year. Three man Decathlon tent, it did great.
    Picked up a 2 man pop up tent from Decathlon a few weeks ago for solo camping, so I'm itching to try it out soon.

My Blackbird came with a top box and two side panniers, all hard cases, so it's superb for carrying a good load of stuff. My big concern is where to camp, as I don't wanna leave the bike alone, and she'd have to be chained to something as I'm not gonna chance her being lifted (although god help anyone who wants to lift a Bird).

Feels amazing though, camping by bike. Very clichéd, but feels very freeing and nomadic.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

There's a guy Chris Hardy who does books about motorcycle touring, inspirational stuff. Hope to get out there in the future. The books are like £2 on Kindle, so worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I have had an idea about doing this for a while. I have bought a tent from decathlon, and the few bits and pieces that I think I need. 2 years ago I did one night in Dingle. Got soaked. Didn't fit into my sleeping bag, cold, wet. Wasn't nice.

Since then I have bought an air mattress, and a bigger sleeping bag. So hopefully I will be more comfortable. Going to head up north to get a few photo points and have booked a pitch in a campsite up there. Hopefully I can manage it a bit better this time. I think it's just practice and experience that will make it better.

I have had an idea about doing this for a while. I have bought a tent from decathlon, and the few bits and pieces that I think I need. 2 years ago I did one night in Dingle. Got soaked. Didn't fit into my sleeping bag, cold, wet. Wasn't nice.

Since then I have bought an air mattress, and a bigger sleeping bag. So hopefully I will be more comfortable. Going to head up north to get a few photo points and have booked a pitch in a campsite up there. Hopefully I can manage it a bit better this time. I think it's just practice and experience that will make it better.

the inflatable mattress definitely helps!
    I have a liner for my bag too, thats easier to wash than a sleeping bag.

• Advertisement

This is a very good read!
    https://www.madornomad.com/the-ultimate-motorcycle-camping-gear-checklist/

you don't need as much for just camping in ireland. Were never far from a town, and if you have breakdown coverage you're fine.

Betsy Og wrote: »
    There's a guy Chris Hardy who does books about motorcycle touring, inspirational stuff. Hope to get out there in the future. The books are like £2 on Kindle, so worth a read.

I might read it sometime.
    I'm not very good at reading non-fiction as its the same as sports for me.
    I'd prefer to be doing it myself than reading about someone elses travel or watching them do a sport.

I do read arcticles on what equipment was brought, why and how much use it seen as they pop up. So I have an idea of what to bring.
    Currently I'm researching tyres and set ups for the French TET.
    I think with the E07+ i should be ok, but I was also recommeded the MotOz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I normally do 4/5 nights in Wales each summer but Covid knocked that on the head last year so did the Wild Atlantic Way. Up to then, everything I had was fairly big standard, but went lightweight last year and it made a massive difference.

For wild camping, as it got to the evening time, I just looked out for camper vans and set up in roughly the same area (I know, not exactly wild when it's 50m from a road) Got moved on from a beach in Achill on the morning after my first night when an auld one threatened to call the gardai but that was the only hassle I had.

hairyslug wrote: »
    I normally do 4/5 nights in Wales each summer but Covid knocked that on the head last year so did the Wild Atlantic Way. Up to then, everything I had was fairly big standard, but went lightweight last year and it made a massive difference.

For wild camping, as it got to the evening time, I just looked out for camper vans and set up in roughly the same area. Got moved on from a beach in Achill on the morning after my first night when an auld one threatened to call the gardai but that was the only hassle I had.

I did a little bit of the Wild alantic way last year.
    We hid out in forestry, about 50 meters from the road side.

Ireland is pretty **** for it unfortunatly, which is why im looking forward to this trip to France in July

goblin59 wrote: »

This is a very good read!
    https://www.madornomad.com/the-ultimate-motorcycle-camping-gear-checklist/

you don't need as much for just camping in ireland. Were never far from a town, and if you have breakdown coverage you're fine.

Think I have everything on that list bar the hatchet. I should be able to survive without that.

There is no wine opener on that list. I reckon a bottle of wine is much easier to transport than a 6-pack of cans. So that shall be my choice to while away the evening.

Currently reading Sam Manicorns into Africa. So between that and the wine I will be sorted!

Think I have everything on that list bar the hatchet. I should be able to survive without that.

There is no wine opener on that list. I reckon a bottle of wine is much easier to transport than a 6-pack of cans. So that shall be my choice to while away the evening.

Currently reading Sam Manicorns into Africa. So between that and the wine I will be sorted!

always buckfast as well

I've a beer opener on the Gerber, but I did toy with the idea of replacing the helmet lock on my frame with a bottle opener

always buckfast as well

I've a beer opener on the Gerber, but I did toy with the idea of replacing the helmet lock on my frame with a bottle opener

Buckfast 🤦*♂️. I am kind of hoping I have passed the stage in my life where I feel actually drinking Buckfast is acceptable.

Well I am all loaded up ready for the morning. The bike feels a little less nimble. I probably have too much stuff. The big problem is actually trying to get the leg over. It doesn't help that the bike is really tall before you put the drybag on.

Now, just need to hope that the weather stays nice.

Buckfast 🀦*♂️. I am kind of hoping I have passed the stage in my life where I feel actually drinking Buckfast is acceptable.

Well I am all loaded up ready for the morning. The bike feels a little less nimble. I probably have too much stuff. The big problem is actually trying to get the leg over. It doesn't help that the bike is really tall before you put the drybag on.

Looks good.
    Good luck and take a few pics!

Buckfast 🤦*♂️. I am kind of hoping I have passed the stage in my life where I feel actually drinking Buckfast is acceptable.

Yeah My DR is pretty tall too. I just stand on the peg and step over the saddle as needed.
    Once my weight is on the bike the shock dips enough for me to stop at lights.
    I adjust the preload on the shock to compensate for luggage, but I have that Shock set for 15kg heavier than my body weight.

Yeah My DR is pretty tall too. I just stand on the peg and step over the saddle as needed.
    Once my weight is on the bike the shock dips enough for me to stop at lights.
    I adjust the preload on the shock to compensate for luggage, but I have that Shock set for 15kg heavier than my body weight.

That's a good reminder. I probably need to adjust the suspension. There is loads of screens and options about that stuff. I generally don't touch it!

• Advertisement

That's a good reminder. I probably need to adjust the suspension. There is loads of screens and options about that stuff. I generally don't touch it!

all ECU adjusted on your bike?
    I just have a physcial remote that comes under my rack

all ECU adjusted on your bike?
    I just have a physcial remote that comes under my rack

Yeah. I generally leave everything as is. But will change it up tomorrow.

I would never have thought about changing it until you said it.
    I am actually 115kg so maybe I should change it to 2 people + luggage.

Yeah. I generally leave everything as is. But will change it up tomorrow.

I would never have thought about changing it until you said it.
    I am actually 115kg so maybe I should change it to 2 people + luggage.

its like looking at space invaders!

You definitely notice a difference.
    I had a pillion passenger for the first time last week on my BMW and as soon as we left the garage I kicked her off the bike and increased the preload. Could feel the difference in the shock straight away on the BMW.
    I let her back on afterwards though, im not that bad

So a little follow up on my attempts to camp. Did a 500km day. And arrived into my campsite. Owner was very friendly, nice guy. Millstone camp site. About 3km south of Newcastle. Lovely location. Gave me a pitch. £10. Grand. Toilet facilities etc.

Set up my tent and all the stuff. Took about 20 minutes from start to finish. When I pulled out my brand new decathlon air mattress I noticed it was pierced. Thankfully had a patch so fixed that.

After that was done I had a glass or two of wine (absolute muck, so didn't drink too much of it!)

Then strolled into town for food/deet spray/maybe a pint or two.
    Loads of midges but didn't end up been a problem.

Anyways on the camping side. Didn't sleep well. Not sure if ohmy mattress was leaking air or I didn't pump it up enough. Also couldn't get comfortable with my pillow.
    Think I eventually got to sleep and had 2-3 hours of poor quality sleep. Woke up at 5:30 with the birds. Also the occupant of another tent was snoring .Should have worn my earplugs. So decided to get the hell out of Dodge and got on the road good and early. Took about 45 minutes to pack up, load the bike, change into the gear etc.

So lessons learnt this trip:
    Bring deet spray.
    Bring a better pillow(maybe a pillow case may make a big difference, so small but nicer that the material of camping pillows. )
    Bring patches.
    Wear earplugs

I am not going to lie. Did about 300km this morning. Was tough going and not the most enjoyable. But I did enjoy the camping element. Nice view and location for the campsite. If I could have gotten a few hours quality sleep it would have been grand. I will re look at it closer to home some weekend and see if I can get it better.

Ah that sucks about the air mattress!
    Yeah insect repellent is a big thing at the moment! i got attacked one of the days by an absolute swarm!

I defintely wake up much earlier when camping than when im at home
    And definitely why I prefer wild camping, no one nearby late night partying because theyre on a camping trip and unless theyre riding with you on the trip no near by snorers.

So a little follow up on my attempts to camp. Did a 500km day. And arrived into my campsite. Owner was very friendly, nice guy. Millstone camp site. About 3km south of Newcastle. Lovely location. Gave me a pitch. £10. Grand. Toilet facilities etc.

Set up my tent and all the stuff. Took about 20 minutes from start to finish. When I pulled out my brand new decathlon air mattress I noticed it was pierced. Thankfully had a patch so fixed that.

After that was done I had a glass or two of wine (absolute muck, so didn't drink too much of it!)

Then strolled into town for food/deet spray/maybe a pint or two.
    Loads of midges but didn't end up been a problem.

Anyways on the camping side. Didn't sleep well. Not sure if ohmy mattress was leaking air or I didn't pump it up enough. Also couldn't get comfortable with my pillow.
    Think I eventually got to sleep and had 2-3 hours of poor quality sleep. Woke up at 5:30 with the birds. Also the occupant of another tent was snoring .Should have worn my earplugs. So decided to get the hell out of Dodge and got on the road good and early. Took about 45 minutes to pack up, load the bike, change into the gear etc.

So lessons learnt this trip:
    Bring deet spray.
    Bring a better pillow(maybe a pillow case may make a big difference, so small but nicer that the material of camping pillows. )
    Bring patches.
    Wear earplugs

I am not going to lie. Did about 300km this morning. Was tough going and not the most enjoyable. But I did enjoy the camping element. Nice view and location for the campsite. If I could have gotten a few hours quality sleep it would have been grand. I will re look at it closer to home some weekend and see if I can get it better.

I know that the first night I used a Decathlon air mattress last year, I woke to it deflated in the middle of the night. Checked, and it was my faulty. I'd not secured it correctly. When I did, it never lost any air. Would be worth checking.

Few lessons learnt, the sleep thing is probably practice as I definitely found that the case last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Fair play Boredatwork82

I have a 3wk trip in Spain in September so am preparing at the moment. Just got an airmatress this week off Bezos online shop. Tank lock fitted this evening. Biggest problem is the tent. I will be traveling with a top box and a Givi dry bag that tent, sleeping bag and air matress must fit into, so far tent won't play ball so I need to source a smaller 2 man tent. Everything else is packed
    Doing a recce to Slieve league in August so that will inform me. Likewise I have long days so sleep is important

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Fair play Boredatwork82

I have a 3wk trip in Spain in September so am preparing at the moment. Just got an airmatress this week off Bezos online shop. Tank lock fitted this evening. Biggest problem is the tent. I will be traveling with a top box and a Givi dry bag that tent, sleeping bag and air matress must fit into, so far tent won't play ball so I need to source a smaller 2 man tent. Everything else is packed
    Doing a recce to Slieve league in August so that will inform me. Likewise I have long days so sleep is important

I have an Oxford aqua bag 70l. It's a bit big but it fits a 3 man decathlon black out tent , a double air mattress, a compressor, a ground, and a good bit more. The only things that doesn't fit is the sleeping bag. But I didn't roll it up and and just lay it across the top it would fit.

I know that the first night I used a Decathlon air mattress last year, I woke to it deflated in the middle of the night. Checked, and it was my faulty. I'd not secured it correctly. When I did, it never lost any air. Would be worth checking.

Few lessons learnt, the sleep thing is probably practice as I definitely found that the case last year.

I definitely checked the nozzle. I have it pumped up there now. See how soft it is in the morning. I think it's just a dude. But I am convinced getting a good air mattress is the secret.

• Advertisement

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Fair play Boredatwork82

I just ordered the Aliexpress version of the MSR Hubba hubba for doing North to South France next month.
    Hopefully not a piece of **** xD
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000053713094.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.4e3664afT72sRD

Advertisement