Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partial Solar Eclipse June 10

Options
  • 09-06-2021 4:57pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Beginning at 0959am and lasting until 1219pm with max at 1105am. Forecast is not good however so fingers crossed.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/ireland/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Beeker wrote: »
    Beginning at 0959am and lasting until 1219pm with max at 1105am. Forecast is not good however so fingers crossed.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/ireland/

Thanks.
    Where can we find appropriate eye wear to view this in time for tomorrow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

gandalfio wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Where can we find appropriate eye wear to view this in time for tomorrow?
    Might be a bit late now. I think Astronomy Ireland sell them.

Try youtube to find safe ways to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Isn't there a way using cardboard and a pin hole and view the reflection or something, can't think.

Thanks op.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I don't recommend looking directly at the Sun of course, but with a lot of cloud around, some of it allowing brief glimpses of the sun's image, you might have conditions favorable for seeing the image of the partially eclipsed Sun around 1100h behind thinner cloud layers. If so, try to limit your look to a few seconds even with that much reduced glare. The northern third of the Sun's disk will be covered by the Moon at that point. Totality (which is annular on this occasion) runs across far northern latitudes in the area of northern Greenland, Svalbard and some of the Russian arctic islands.

The brief dip in apparent brightness of the Sun (whether cloudy or not) will be quite slight and almost imperceptible, sort of like going from a June mid-day light to another season, then back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

I was fortunate enough to witness Totality in the US Solar eclipse in 2017. I flew out to Chicago and drove to Illinois / Kentucky border. We had over 2 mins of totality under clear skies, It was an amazing sight.

Of course when I went looking for my eclipse glasses this morning they've gone missing .
    So the odds are stacked against along with the cloudy skies. I'm going to put together a DIY cardboard eclipse viewer , plenty of great Youtube tutorials on how to do those and I'm also trying the Victorian ' Blackened Glass ' Method :D

I've taken a plane piece of glass from an old picture frame and blackened it under a tea-light candle.
    I've tested it on some very powerful LEDs and it seems to be quite good .

**DISCLAIMER** - last method MIGHT be dangerous, exercise caution.. i'm going to use my sunglasses along with it for extra protection, but it's how people used to watch eclipses back in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

dm09 wrote: »
    I was fortunate enough to witness Totality in the US Solar eclipse in 2017. I flew out to Chicago and drove to Illinois / Kentucky border. We had over 2 mins of totality under clear skies, It was an amazing sight.

Of course when I went looking for my eclipse glasses this morning they've gone missing .
    So the odds are stacked against along with the cloudy skies. I'm going to put together a DIY cardboard eclipse viewer , plenty of great Youtube tutorials on how to do those and I'm also trying the Victorian ' Blackened Glass ' Method :D

I've taken a plane piece of glass from an old picture frame and blackened it under a tea-light candle.
    I've tested it on some very powerful LEDs and it seems to be quite good .

**DISCLAIMER** - last method MIGHT be dangerous, exercise caution.. i'm going to use my sunglasses along with it for extra protection, but it's how people used to watch eclipses back in the day

This won't stop ultraviolet light and may cause eye damage.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    This won't stop ultraviolet light and may cause eye damage.

Not entirely sure what parts of the spectrum it filters to be honest , it does blocks almost all illumination - I've uv sunglasses too but not sure if i'll chance it .

*Just found my eclipse glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My parents out in Bray projecting it with a pair of binoculars.

Whats-App-Image-2021-06-10-at-10-36-48.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Completely clouded out here in east Cork. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

An astronomical event is occurring and once again, the skies are filled with cloud.
    I'm glad I didn't even bother to set up my SCT.
    It'd be such a great hobby if it weren't for those pesky clouds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

94% cloud cover in donegal (roll on 2026)

astronomy ireland have a poor youtube feed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not just cloudy in Cork, thick fog and drizzle too. Absolutely dismal morning. Ironically the light-level monitor on my weather station is going up slightly as the fog moves about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Saw this linked on twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scEYIFoGrh4

An astronomical event is occurring and once again, the skies are filled with cloud.
    I'm glad I didn't even bother to set up my SCT.
    It'd be such a great hobby if it weren't for those pesky clouds.

I remember the solar eclipse of August 99 , it was mostly overcast too .

I think if you have the opportunity to travel once in a lifetime to witness a Total Solar eclipse , it's worth it.
    I'm gonna try get over to the US for the April 2024 one

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Quick pic through the cloud

dm09 wrote: »
    I remember the solar eclipse of August 99 , it was mostly overcast too .

I think if you have the opportunity to travel once in a lifetime to witness a Total Solar eclipse , it's worth it.
    I'm gonna try get over to the US for the April 2024 one

thing with 99 the birds started roosting in the trees went very dusk like for a couple of minutes
    this thread deserves
    A solar eclipse, the cosmic ballet goes on,

thing with 99 the birds started roosting in the trees went very dusk like for a couple of minutes
    this thread deserves

Witnessing Totality makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
    I'll never forget it , especially the birds and hearing crickets chirp.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Beautiful clear skies here in Bray. I can see it really clearly through my eclipse glasses I managed to find from the previous total eclipse. I thought I'd be able to take a photo with my phone through the glasses but it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not a pick of it in Cork still.

I remember it well..

1999 eclipse wall of cloud
    2005 eclipse in Dublin wall of cloud except for a 10 second gap where we saw it
    2021 eclipse wall of cloud

Its galling.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ESetter

Alun wrote: »
    Beautiful clear skies here in Bray. I can see it really clearly through my eclipse glasses I managed to find from the previous total eclipse. I thought I'd be able to take a photo with my phone through the glasses but it won't work.

Same here in Limerick..tried the phone through welding glasses but a green blur is all i got. It some sight in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PXL-20210610-102823183.jpg

Managed to get this by setting the focus on a distant object and then locking it before taking the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Pretty descent conditions in North County Dublin

51239210638_6ddec3413a_b.jpg

51239011781_64e8ae2ded_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Was cloudy almost all the way through but managed a few on the ST80

51238296038_5f66b81c87_b_d.jpg

Full res and info

Advertisement