Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Husband is no help with baby

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Something seriously needs to change here, having more kids is not gonna resolve them, there's fundamental issues in your marriage that require urgent attention. Op you're deeply unhappy, and understandable so, your husband needs to cut back his working hours, you need more support from him, financial support is only one critical aspect of being a partner, emotional support probably being more critical, he's failing on this, but cannot offer it under his current working conditions. You need to have a frank discussion with him about this, or your marriage may not survive, and you may collapse in the process. He may feel he's doing the right thing by providing, but again he's missing a trick, emotional support, best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It’s like a form of coercive control. You have effectively been cut off from anything outside the family home. That’s no life. Do you intend to be tied to the kitchen for the next 18 years?

Of course he gets to go off and do god knows what. I don’t believe he’s actually working the entire time he’s out.

eviltwin wrote:
    Of course he gets to go off and do god knows what. I don’t believe he’s actually working the entire time he’s out.

He could very well be, you d be surprised how hard some people work, worked with a farmer before, after doing a full shift, he d be off to the farm, always wondered if he slept!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

eviltwin wrote: »
    It’s like a form of coercive control. You have effectively been cut off from anything outside the family home. That’s no life. Do you intend to be tied to the kitchen for the next 18 years?

Maybe, maybe not.
    Either way it takes two to tango and only the OP can change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

This is insane. Every bit of it. My husband works long hours in a different industry. But the hours yours is working?? That’s mental. He works smarter or he gives something up. No excuses. My husband has a tendency to drift up in hours over a year or two and a sit down discussion is had to correct it. The first time this was needed I clocked his hours for a week and sat him down with it! Haven’t needed to since, just a reminder is fine.

However the car seat? Interfering with bedtime?? No helping with the kids? Or telling me I can’t get help? Hell no. He wouldn’t dream of it. I had childcare for my second pregnancy (wouldn’t have functioned without it). We have a fortnightly cleaner. And no matter if he has to go back out for work he tries to be there for bedtime every night to read stories/baths/teeth etc and to catch up on the news of the day

Your husband barely sees the baby with those hours? And that’s not going to get better, even when the baby gets to school age sure he won’t see him.

I am loath to comment on these posts and particularly suggesting drastic action but this needs drastic action and some very blunt ‘this is what is happening’ discussion at least in relation to getting you help now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

You say he loves and plays with the child... While working/being out of the home for 100+ hours a week..

How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I think the hobby farm here has to go. Assuming it’s a hobby and not a significant income generator for the family he might as well be on a golf course or in the pub 7 nights a week from your perspective. He’s doing it for his own interest, no other reason, whilst you’re begrudgingly permitted a few hours once a week, during which time he takes unacceptable risks with your child, disrupting their sleep and generally trying to make you not want to leave the child with him.

You need a fairly frank conversation, and quickly. Two children, whilst recovering from the birth in the first few weeks is unmanageable in the real world. He needs to know he’ll be solo parenting for the few days you’re in, and that bedtimes, dinners etc for your older child will be all him for the foreseeable.

Having a “traditional” relationship where one partner works outside the home and the other takes care of the primary homemaking and childminding is much, much less common nowadays. Whilst this doesn’t mean it can’t work (and it likely does work for countless families around the country), society has moved on from this being the expected norm, and he needs to understand that quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

A lot of home truths in the replies for the OP to take in, must be hard to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

OP - I really think that you need to sit down with him and have a chat. Soon. And certainly before your second child arrives.

Do you make joint decisions ? On big and/or important things? Do you pool finances and make large financial decisions together?

I am from a farming background so I understand long hours and the commitment involved. But it seems that your Husband made this decision to buy a farm (rather than inheriting) after you were married. Were you involved in this decision including financially?
    Does he feel that you as a family need the extra Income from the farm ? Do you ?

I am a SAHM. It wasn't the plan but I took redundancy when our youngest child was very young. My Husband, until the Pandemic hit, worked very long hours and commuted meaning he was often gone 13 hours a day. He also travelled a lot abroad for work. We have no family nearby.
    So, I understand the feeling of being like a single parent some of the time.

But, we made the decision together that I take the redundancy. We made the decision together that I stay SAHM for a few years while he provided financially for us.
    We also used part-time childcare and had a babysitter. While we don't have a regular Cleaner since I stopped working, I got the house deep-cleaned every 3 months and used a laundry service when needed.
    And my Husband when at home was and still is fully hands-on with the kids.

I don't even know what to say on the car seat cable-tied to the tractor. That can never happen again.

I think a sit-down and a proper chat with a plan going-forward are needed. Or things are only get worse when your second child arrives.
    For me, I found it particularly hard at that point and I was still working then.

Wishing you the best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Just to add, OP, I worked with a guy some years ago, who spent extremely long hours at his desk, when his children were small. I'm talking ridiculous hours. We all knew what he was at, avoiding being at home with a newborn, and a small child. He wasn't known as the hardest of workers tbh.

So, while I understand that farming hours, on top of his other job, are a bit different, he wouldn't be the first or last to use work as an excuse to avoid the daily grind.

If a conversation doesn't change things, you need to start looking out for yourself, getting paid help to mind the children, so that you can have a life, including getting back to work, and being able to enjoy leisure activities. His 'pride' is no help, so it will have to come second, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

bones123 wrote: »
    have considered childcare to help but he is also very proud and doesn't want someone else minding our baby.

A person working from 8am to 11pm does not get to veto you on this decision, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I missed the part about the cable tied car seat to the tractor. That’s obviously a tactic from the husband to make the wife so fearful that she’ll just give in and not let it happen again. It’s just a more extreme version of doing something badly so you won’t be asked to do it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I missed the part about the cable tied car seat to the tractor. That’s obviously a tactic from the husband to make the wife so fearful that she’ll just give in and not let it happen again. It’s just a more extreme version of doing something badly so you won’t be asked to do it again

Its also a very high risk for the baby he loves . No one who loves their child puts them at risk like that

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its also a very high risk for the baby he loves . No one who loves their child puts them at risk like that

Cable ties in this day and age. Like really, my parents think things are a bit overkill with car seats (we did extended rear facing to age four with ours) but not in a million years would they condone anything even remotely that ridiculous

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

To be honest with you OP, you will have 2 kids under 2 and that will be the breaking point. One small kid is stressful, two under two will result in a showdown of some sort in this situation and I can tell you now that is inevitable.
    Better off to have the conversation now. His hours have to go. Some of the time working those hours is one thing - all of the time is an absolute no. He now has other responsibilities and he needs to accept that. Some men just don't realise that they have to stop putting themselves and their wants first all of the time once babies arrive.

IF he simply cannot give up those hours, then I suggest a couple of hard compromises are needed - a combination of one or all of the below:

First, (if he really must) that he only works til 11pm one or 2 days of the week. If he expects to be working til 11pm Monday to Friday, then he MUST be at home or with the child all day Saturday and Sunday - not anywhere near the farm/office/work at any point.

Second, if he cannot manage even that, then you must be allowed get childcare, use a laundry service and have a cleaner once every week or 2 weeks.
    Third, he must take care of the house. DIY, grass, whatever - his problem. Push some of the load onto him.

Fourth - you are going to book at least 2 hours once a week for you, where he must sit at home or go out somewhere safe (not a farm, office, tractor or anything) with the child.

It is the most ridiculous thing in the world to have to do, but if he simply won't see it then it better be put down in writing, marked on calendars or whatever. His behaviour isn't good enough and the arrival of the second child will be the breaking point. Who is going to mind the first child when you are in hospital with the second???Start with that question and take it from there.

• Advertisement

I agree with all of what Shesty has posted except with one change. The first one has to be done AS WELL as some of the 2nd/3rd/4th. Working those hours is madness no matter what other changes need to be made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I could be wrong here but this thread is reminding me of a woman a few years back who was engaged to a man like this, very traditional farmer, wouldn't live together before marriage, his mother did all his cooking, cleaning and the understanding was it would become his wife's job once they were married despite her being in full time employment. If this isn't the same person, I'm betting that scenario turned out much like this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Ah Shur he only had to do it the once to teach her a lesson.

Just to note, I absolutely don’t agree with what he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

"traditional" man = man who doesn't do enough leg work around the house, suits himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ms. Newbie18

Hi OP,

I'm sorry you are dealing with all this.

From reading your posts, its sounds like both of you wanted and agreed to have children. Once the kids arrive, i'm sorry, but all hobbies take a back seat to the needs of the child. Why should your husband get to keep his hobby farm while you lose all your interests and have to handle home life + a FT job. That is a NO for me. Sit him down and lay it out. Hours spent away from the family need to be cut down drastically. You won't have a family if you don't spend quality family time together. You also won't have personal relationship or happy (long lasting) marriage if changes are not made. Even when/if your OH cuts back on hours, I would still look into getting help with the kids - so you can crave out time for yourself.

Good luck OP. I hope it all works out for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

listermint wrote: »
    There's no chance this chancer is working these hours .not a hope in this day and age with machinery available.

He's jaunting off probably pissing about in the sheds. Chatting with the neighbours, doing anything he can do to get off house work and generally doing his part for the home.

He knows what he is at frankly and taking you and the family for a ride. There's no positive to come out from this continuing as it will ruin your relationship and his with the children. There's a serious reckoning needed here and it may involve serious ultimatims .

Cant agree more, no way is he working 15 hours a day all year around. If the OP had of said he is in an office in Dublin working 15 hours a day all year round and doesnt arrive home till 11 every night most people would be suspecting he is having an affair or living some kind of double life. As it is I would say your post is dead right, he is calling into neighbours and wasting hours of his day just chatting when he could be at home helping out.

Would agree with others on the hobby farm having to go because it seems he already has a full time job and it is this farm giving him the excuse to never be at home. I hope to god he hasnt taken out some massive loan to buy a tiny 20 acre farm which is not viable to make money. Lots of fellas who 'dream' of farming do this but all their doing is putting in massive hours for little reward, their time would be better spent working elsewhere.

bones123 wrote: »
    have considered childcare to help but he is also very proud and doesn't want someone else minding our baby.

OK, stop right there. As this is affecting you, your health, and your wellbeing, you need to stand up to him strongly on this and basically, overrule him.
    So, to proceed -
    (1) Organise a babysitter for one evening a week so you can go off an do an activity.
    (2) Organise a cleaner once a week, you're going to need it especially after babs no 2 comes along and it can be a lifesaver.
    (3) If you can bring a load or two to a launderette once/twice a month this is a great help. I do it with towels and bedlinen, get them washed, dried and folded. Syncronise it so the clean bed linens are ready for when the cleaner comes, so they can change the beds.

Do not accept any promises of "I'll do better" from him, take matters into your own hands, and make the changes you need to make things better for yourself.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

.... take matters into your own hands, and make the changes you need to make things better for yourself.

And if, for some reason, you don't feel comfortable or 'allowed' to do this then you really need to take a long hard look at your relationship.

I'm sure he doesn't ok things with you before going ahead with doing what he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I'm sure he doesn't ok things with you before going ahead with doing what he wants.

I think this sums up the issue. The OP is bending over backwards, sideways and every other way to accommodate her husband, yet she is an afterthought in his mind. He does what he wants when he wants and uses manipulation if she looks for something for herself that might inconvenience him, ie taking the baby on the tractor when she is out with friends knowing the OP will be out of her mind with worry.

He does not see himself as having any responsibilities whatsoever in the home. That would not be acceptable to the vast majority of women in this day and age, but now that the foundations for this continued behaviour have been laid it’ll be very hard to change.

I think this sums up the issue. The OP is bending over backwards, sideways and every other way to accommodate her husband, yet she is an afterthought in his mind. He does what he wants when he wants and uses manipulation if she looks for something for herself that might inconvenience him, ie taking the baby on the tractor when she is out with friends knowing the OP will be out of her mind with worry.

He does not see himself as having any responsibilities whatsoever in the home. That would not be acceptable to the vast majority of women in this day and age, but now that the foundations for this continued behaviour have been laid it’ll be very hard to change.

I have to agree tbh.

As a SAHM and "dependent" on my Husband financially and in particular having more traditional roles within our marriage in recent years, I have never been made to feel that we are anything other than equal partners.

And I think that this may be part of the problem for the OP. Your Husband seems to just suit himself. This needs to stop and stop now. Before it gets worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

I've a child near your childs age and the cable ties for the car seat made me feel ill. He was willing to endanger his child to manipulate you into giving up the small amount of time you have to yourself.

I think you are understandably so caught up in it all you don't really see how unequal or toxic it all is. Could you and the child stay with a friend or relative for a night or two to give yourself a break and get some much needed headspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

zapper55 wrote: »
    I've a child near your childs age and the cable ties for the car seat made me feel ill. He was willing to endanger his child to manipulate you into giving up the small amount of time you have to yourself.

I think you are understandably so caught up in it all you don't really see how unequal or toxic it all is. Could you and the child stay with a friend or relative for a night or two to give yourself a break and get some much needed headspace.

I don’t have experience with children or tractors but use cable ties for many many reasons and would deem them very solid. There you go, you can fall me an idiot now. For all we know the OPs husband has as little experience with kids too, since he doesn’t spend any time with his. I find it difficult to pinpoint this as a deliberate attempt to manipulate her because he might not have realised.

I'd still be questioning those hours. I know many working farms and yes the days can be long, but 15 hour days every day is not the norm..

id be assuming he is some sort of contractor,spreading slurry/making bales and hedgecutting etc

The hours arent unheard of at tillage certain times of year,if he is self-employed and only working on his own farm,its time to trim back,or hire some help for few days a week,theres companies specilise this (or hire someone to help with contracting)

Id be wary of advocating curtailing farm at the min,as the payments scheme is being reformed/updated and can have consequences for next 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Jequ0n wrote: »
    I don’t have experience with children or tractors but use cable ties for many many reasons and would deem them very solid. There you go, you can fall me an idiot now. For all we know the OPs husband has as little experience with kids too, since he doesn’t spend any time with his. I find it difficult to pinpoint this as a deliberate attempt to manipulate her because he might not have realised.

It's not the cable ties that are the issue, but a tractor doesn't have the same suspension or shock absorbers as a car. It is a shaky ride, not suitable for a small baby. It would be shaken quite hard, especially in an uneven field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Meeoow wrote: »
    It's not the cable ties that are the issue, but a tractor doesn't have the same suspension or shock absorbers as a car. It is a shaky ride, not suitable for a small baby. It would be shaken quite hard, especially in an uneven field.

I would consider what he did to be worthy of reporting to child protective services. The cable ties are absolutely an issue, have you ever seen one in a car? Isofix systems for cars are infinitely stronger ace safer than cable ties.

OP you need to consider the safety and well-being of your child, your baby that's on the way and you. I don't consider the situation you're in to be safe on a number of levels. Think of what advice you'd give your friend, or a sister if they were telling you this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Cable ties on a car seat and shaky tractor. That is literally one of Ireland's famous farming "tragic accidents" waiting to happen.

Nobody on this planet with good intentions and a lick of sense would for a second even consider that to be a good idea with the amount of children and babies who have suffered horrific and untimely ends on the family farm. As another poster said, if I caught my own husband taking safety liberties like this with any of my kids, he'd have to fight his way through every court in the country to be allowed near them again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

OP, I had a look at your previous posts to see if there was some context to your husband behaving like this (eg is this a change for him or a pattern of behaviour) and I was struck by a post of yours in a thread from 2015 where you'd identified him (presumably the same person) as being unable to compromise on small things, and you'd reflected that it was a sign he'd struggle to compromise on big things.

Six years ago, you'd identified him as someone who won't compromise. You chose to stay with him, and that's absolutely a valid decision, but you knew who he was before you had a baby. You knew you'd have a struggle on your hands to get him to compromise on meeting your needs.

I suppose my question is, what have you done in the past to get him to hear you, and can you do that again now?

Jequ0n wrote: »

Cable ties are fairly strong alright (depending on the material/width) but it's still an incomprehensible risk to take simply because safety seats aren't designed to be affixed with them, so you've no way of knowing if the forces etc will be displaced correctly, or if the plastic edges of the seat could cause them to cut due to friction etc (ime, cable ties are also easily cut). It's a mindbogglingly stupid thing to do. Anyone who works with machinery, even on a casual basis, should have enough cop on to know that if the machine jolts due to whatever reason, the ties could possibly sheer.

I tend to side with the people who say he's using work to avoid you and the kid OP, for whatever reason. I know lads who are always, always ultra busy unless it's something they actually want to do, at which time, time suddenly appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

From my understanding he is running an agri related business with employees, and has then also bought a hobby farm. Tbh if he has to be in the office till 11 every night I'd be scratching my head at what agri related business it is. Fair enough there are those that deal with breakdowns etc but if there is that much work he should be able to employ a secretary/ office manager to cover the paperwork. Possibly needs training himself in terms of managing staff and time if ot has recently grown in scale fast.
    The summer is coming and if he is used to employees he should be able to find a young lad nearby to do any time consuming jobs on the hobby farm to get it time efficient. Fencing, handling facilities etc. Use contractors to do machinery work.
    How to get this across to him I don't know. Have ye anyone close that ye can confide in.

Perhaps maybe get yourself and the child off the bed early and write a letter with the struggles you are having and leave it sealed on the table for when he comes in. At least if he reads it perhaps on his own where there is no direct reaction to a person he may reflect on it. I dunno.

Also perhaps, don't ask, just get in a cleaner or whatever would take pressure off yourself one day a week or whatever. Just do it, your wages are coming in as well so make life easier for yourself in that regard at least

That is excellent. Hadn't seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

SusanC10 wrote: »
    That is excellent. Hadn't seen it before.

It is excellent.

Whilst I think all dads get tarred with a brush in it, and a lot of us do a lot more than implied in the cartoon and do share at least a reasonable portion of the mental load (I realise it is deploying a stereotype to achieve a positive outcome, rather than being accusatory), it certainly caused me to reevaluate how I address certain aspects of how our household is run.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

OP you're miserable and nothing will change here as displayed by previous threads of you being miserable and nothing changing. You've made decisions all along to end up where you are and you've nobody to blame but yourself. By the same token you're the only person that will get yourself out of this mess. You've a husband who's stood by and watched you be miserable this whole time so he's failed at the most fundamental level of being a partner- making you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SteadyNed

I'm a part-time farmer, in roughly a similar situation as the OPs family (young child, another on the way), and have suffered from a touch of pnd as a father.

All I can say is that the father needs a sharp kick up the hole, in whatever form necessary.

Nobody needs to work those hours consistently and if they do, it's either gross inefficiency or trying to escape. He needs to be told plainly the effect it's having on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Ravendale

I'm not sure if those hours are even legal. But besides all that both of you need to sit down and discuss what you need, not want, need. Can you take on enxtra home help one afternoon a week so you can go shopping with your friends or go for lunch etc?

Maybe he can get cover one or 2 evenings a week for some daddy and baby time too. Everyone is different and I couldn't even dream of giving advice as what work for me not work for others.

Take care of your mental health first and stay safe

TheodoreT, you have received multiple warnings in this forum about how you impart 'advice'. Telling an already distressed poster "you've nobody to blame but yourself" is not constructive advice.

Please adjust your posting style or a ban from the forum will be the next step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It is just the way he was brought up and probably spoiled be his own mum. I see it myself here I have 3 sons and they are treated like 3 prize bulls by herself, everything is done for them, cooking, cleaning shoffered about the place, madness to me and no respect for it. There still is a few lads like the OPs husband, that moved from mommy to his new wife and expected the same treatment, never lived on there own or house shared, never traveled. The kids will get bigger and easier and you could join him in his hobby farming, for now I would get some young one in that's just Finnished school to give you hand give her some money book a house somewhere for a week with some friend or family member, don't bring him don't invite him let him simmer there for the week with out ye he might cop on a bit.

kerryjack wrote:
    It is just the way he was brought up and probably spoiled be his own mum. I see it myself here I have 3 sons and they are treated like 3 prize bulls by herself, everything is done for them, cooking, cleaning shoffered about the place, madness to me and no respect for it. There still is a few lads like the OPs husband, that moved from mommy to his new wife and expected the same treatment, never lived on there own or house shared, never traveled. The kids will get bigger and easier and you could join him in his hobby farming, for now I would get some young one in that's just Finnished school to give you hand give her some money book a house somewhere for a week with some friend or family member, don't bring him don't invite him let him simmer there for the week with out ye he might cop on a bit.

Or both could decide to be adults, and sit down to discuss the matter, and come up with a workable plan to resolve the issue......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Or both could decide to be adults, and sit down to discuss the matter, and come up with a workable plan to resolve the issue......
    Wouldn't it be great but can't see him changing, he is probably in too deep in to the whole farming thing and unless your a farmer yourself you wouldn't under stand, there is always something to be done and some people just can't walk away and leave stuff for tomorrow, my own father was like that he wasn't a happy man sitting in the house always out doing something on his little small farm but he was content. Its possible that OP husband is unaware of the situation and thinks he is playing a blinder working away and proving for his family.

kerryjack wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great but can't see him changing, he is probably in too deep in to the whole farming thing and unless your a farmer yourself you wouldn't under stand, there is always something to be done and some people just can't walk away and leave stuff for tomorrow, my own father was like that he wasn't a happy man sitting in the house always out doing something on his little small farm but he was content. Its possible that OP husband is unaware of the situation and thinks he is playing a blinder working away and proving for his family.

oh im sure farming is not easy at all, long hours have always been the way, but if a couple truly want their marriage to last, women no longer put up with this kinna sh1t, and rightfully so....

i do suspect you could be right though, i suspect this chap may not be aware at all of his wifes unhappiness, and actually thinks hes playing a blinder alright, so a frank discussion is need asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

In her first post she said that she's begged him to change. He knows there's a problem he's choosing to ignore it.

OP if you are still reading, I hope the responses have made you realise that your demands are very reasonable, and you are holding an incredible burden at the moment. I also hope you confide in someone about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

zapper55 wrote: »
    In her first post she said that she's begged him to change. He knows there's a problem he's choosing to ignore it.
    This is a key point for me. There are people working all hours but they have no choice and would only love to be able to spend more time at home.

The OP and him have talked about this, and he said he'd make changes, but hasn't done so.

He's out of the house all day, with a chunk of that time spent on a 'hobby farm', and he knows the OP is absolutely fed up with it, but he won't alter his own lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 chattering

OP, you have got plenty of advice - can you implement it?
    If your partner is unavailable to help the household, then you must "buy in" the services you need, also availing of any offers of help from family/friends. Your partner is not putting you first, but is putting his own wishes for his lifestyle first, so if you are happy to make the best of things then simply book and pay for the help you need, and accept that your partner will continue his chosen lifestyle.
    If you want to confront your partner hoping that he will change, go ahead and do that, but dont expect him to change without his genuinely wanting to change. The first step in your partner committing to change would be his deciding to sell the hobby farm.
    I suggest you go ahead and make the arrangements you need around the house. If your partner complains say " I needed X to be done and you were not around to discuss it". I wish you all the best.

How would you feel about getting an au pair in to help you around the house and with the children? You say he doesn't want anyone else minding your dsughter. That's fine for him to say when he's not the one doing all the actual work.

If I were you I would tell him that you are considering gettimg somebody in to the house to help out (in the old days, that he seems to be stuck in, young local girls would often be sent to live and work with neighbours to help out. I'm not suggesting you go looking for a local 12/13 year old to move in as home help, but you know what I'm saying!!). He will probably disagree strongly to the suggestion, so you tell him he has 2 weeks, from today to sort himself out or you will be going ahead with getting someone in.

And give him 2 weeks. If significant changes haven't happened in that time, go ahead and look for an au pair.

Nobody NEEDS to be out of the house for that long. Some people however WANT to be. And there's a huge difference. He doesn't want to be at home with you and the baby (babies). If he did, he would be.

Edit: by the way, i don't mean give him 2 more weeks of carrying on like this and then he has to stop, I mean give him two weeks to prove to you that he will be home more often - that means starting from tomorrow he is home more often. He has made promises and never followed through. Time for him NOW to start following through. If after 2 weeks nothing much has changed, take matters into your own hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Your husband is a being a prick but probably isn't aware of it.

I'm quite like your husband but I'm aware of it and do try.

As my wife said, "I'd love to be able to go to work for a break"

Raising kid is tough, especially solo, his 15 hours per day isn't an ly more valuable to the family than you time with the kids. He needs to know that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement