Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Suresignal

Options
  • 09-06-2021 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi Guys .
    Zero mobile signal in my house and one bar outdoors.I have been using a suresignal box provided by my netwerk Vodafone .This connected to my router provided us with excellent phone signal for ten numbers right thoughout my house.Sad to say my sursignal box has finally given up .
    I have already tried Vodafone and they have stopped those boxes for the past few years with no alternative .
    I seen a few on Ebay from the UK and wondered would they work in Ireland .
    Has anybody had the same experience and what alternative is there for me .My business is homebased so really need the mobile to keep going .
    Thanks for reading this .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wifi calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭niallb

If you buy one on eBay it might work for the 10 phones already assigned to it, but there's no way to update the list.

The UK stopped using them partly because of fires!

If you're on bill pay with Vodafone or Eir and your phone handset supports it you can use Wi-fi calling. Maybe other providers do it now for prepay or billpay, but I don't know from experience.

What type of phone do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

Thanks for the info .I use a Samsung 6 .Must check that option

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

cityboyjim wrote: »
    Thanks for the info .I use a Samsung 6 .Must check that option

WiFi Calling is your best solution, as it allows you to manage your own coverage indoors. Normal mobile calls will be routed via WiFi when in range of WiFi. Vodafone only started offering a limited WiFi calling service relatively recently and their website says that only Samsung Galaxy S8 upwards support it. Eir had it earlier, and their website says Samsung Galaxy S6 upwards. However, if you port to Eir, you will need to get the Eir firmware flashed into your handset, as the settings are carrier-specific. Note Vodafone also do not support texting in their WiFi calling, whereas Eir do.

Brilliant information .Thank you .I dont indeed have wifi calling on my Samsung 6 .My broadband is with Eir so I will contact them tomorrow .All the rest of the phones are newer so should have no problem with those .Thanks again

• Advertisement

Great.
    Your broadband provider is not who you should be calling as you need to change your mobile phone.

If you're thinking of switching to Eir for mobile you'll get a good deal on your bill, but depending on where you live you might not get as good coverage outside the house as you do with Vodafone.
    I switched for exactly that reason and had to switch back as soon as possible. Luckily I'd only done a 30 day contract.

Check coverage with someone local who's on Eir mobile first!

Tried all the other phones today and the rest all are newer phones than mine and all have wifi calling .Activated them all to wifi calling and none of them actually work .My own is the only phone without wifi calling option .So flustrating .Vodafone support so slow to answer .Due to all working from home I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Tried all the other phones today and the rest all are newer phones than mine and all have wifi calling .Activated them all to wifi calling and none of them actually work .My own is the only phone without wifi calling option .So flustrating .Vodafone support so slow to answer .Due to all working from home I suppose.

It is not sufficient for handset to have the WiFi Calling feature in the menu. In Android, the carrier-specific settings must be embedded in the firmware. In the case of Android, you must have a carrier specific build of firmware for each handset. That generally means you need to have purchased the handset from your carrier, since they introduced WiFi calling. Otherwise you will likely have to flash in the version of firmware with your carrier's WiFi Calling settings. Apple download the carrier settings in iPhone, so they are a bit more flexible.

... .Activated them all to wifi calling and none of them actually work ...

Are they Bill Pay accounts? Pay as You Go are not allowed use Wifi Calling on Vodafone unless they're confirmed over 18 and on certain Red plans.
    Might be worth a quick call to Vodafone to get them activated.

Advertisement