Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English cricketer suspended over tweets written as teenager

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TomTomTim wrote: »
    It's really shows that we live in great comfort, when we find such outrage in relatively small things. I remember coming across a Reddit post, about "deeply offensive" terms towards the Irish. I honestly laughed at the majority of them, and would take little offense if any of them were said around me.

Bit of racism, sure its grand and always just ends there, never gets worse and doesnt encourage others in the social circle to do the same which perpetuates it..........

Good job society isnt racist........

Should the kid from Kerry that abused Ian Wright on twitter have just been left alone cos "hes just a kid" or if he managed to not let it go public for a certain time should it be grand?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I give a shyte because I think there's too much of a rush to demonize someone who makes an inappropriate joke or comment years ago when they were a teen and trying to cause them shyte now.

With the Ellie Kemper example I mentioned earlier, this is a clear example of trying to stoke outrage against somebody based on very little. And based on something she never hid from the public. It really does seem like people going out of their way to wreck people’s lives. With Kemper, she’s from a very wealthy family and it seems like somebody decided she was just too damn privileged and decided to take her down a peg or two. She released an apologetic statement - PR driven, probably - but most of the comments underneath articles reporting on her great crime are supportive of her. Most people seem to recognise it for what it is.

Beasty wrote: »
    Standard practice across employments in the "public eye" like this is to suspend pending an investigation. He has been found guilty of nothing at this stage.

Having said that he's not denying anything. However the ecb have to go through a formal process and indeed establish if any of their own rules have been broken.

That’s not really the issue. He’d hardly deny it as the tweets were there to see. People are objecting to him being subjected to all this for something he did when his brain was at least five years away from being fully developed.

Demonique wrote: »
    Pity he hadn't thought of dredging his twitter himself and removing the tweets before anyone found them

Maybe he gave the world too much credit in thinking that nobody has a whiter than white past and that tweets made by an immature mind (the brain isn’t fully developed until nearly the mid twenties) would not be met with sanctimony. Naive on his part probably - the world is stuffed with pious bores. I do experience schadenfreude when one of these holy joes has the dredging turned back on them and their own youthful fuck ups are uncovered. I’ve precisely zero sympathy for the priggish twerps. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Maybe he gave the world too much credit in thinking that nobody has a whiter than white past and that tweets made by an immature mind (the brain isn’t fully developed until nearly the mid twenties) would not be met with sanctimony. Naive on his part probably - the world is stuffed with pious bores. I do experience schadenfreude when one of these holy joes has the dredging turned back on them and their own youthful fuck ups are uncovered. I’ve precisely zero sympathy for the priggish twerps. :cool:

Lot of problematic/ culturally appropriated language in that post...

• Advertisement

Lot of problematic/ culturally appropriated language in that post...

Indeed. :pac: But as somebody who sees it as cultural appreciation, not appropriation, let them come at me, brah.

Brah? Oh you dont want to go there... oh wait, just checked. Your fine bruh

[AAVE =African-American Vernacular English]

https://twitter.com/yoonipaws/status/1372475688092012544

Brah? Oh you dont want to go there... oh wait, just checked. Your fine bruh

https://twitter.com/yoonipaws/status/1372475688092012544

Not a surfer though - I’m clearly an imposter still. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

This whole case reminds me of that cyclist who was suspended for outing himself as a Trump supporter
    Trek-Segafredo suspended Simmons following his response to a post by a cycling journalist ahead of the US election last year. The journalist asked supporters of Trump to stop following her on Twitter. Simmons responded by writing "bye", followed by an emoji of a Black hand waving. When Simmons was referred to as a “Trumper” in a reply, he responded: “That’s right” with an emoji of an American flag.

The use of a Black hand emoji by a white person online has been repeatedly highlighted as racist, and the term 'digital blackface' has been coined to describe its usage.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/quinn-simmons-i-did-not-deserve-to-be-suspended/

• Advertisement

Cancel Culture is just a name given to something that's been happening as long as humans have been around by cúnts to gain sympathy from dubmer cúnts and give them a Goldberg to hiss at. People getting reprimanded for stupid shít isn't new.

Exactly, and yet people deny it exists, even though it's existed for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Beasty wrote: »
    He has not been "banned". He is suspended from international cricket pending an investigation. There is no presumption of any "guilt" at this stage.

Technically you are correct. However when it comes to sports then suspended and banned are used interchangeably.

Some is banned/suspended for 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Aurelian wrote: »
    Is that not the big problem with all if this, you are not forgiven. Nobody wants to hear an apology. You are not allowed see the error of your ways, recant and be forgiven. These stuff ends your career.
    I think most people will accept it but for some of the very strident that is never going to happen anyway and social media is such a perfect outlet to punish people. A heartfelt apology about being misguided tends to counter it. The employment side is a different beast and in this case evaluating reputational damage and positive PR counts far more. He has no absolute right to play for his country but they will need to balance whatever outcome they arrive at with a fair chance that he can take a legal case against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

1874 wrote: »
    as for the slanty eye'd emoji, not particularily nice, bit stupid, but racist??
    Not racist? Seriously?

Making slant-eyes gestures towards Asians is pretty much the quintessential racist insult towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭iptba

Bit of racism, sure its grand and always just ends there, never gets worse and doesnt encourage others in the social circle to do the same which perpetuates it..........
    So are you suggesting zero tolerance? Would this also apply to, say, someone expressing any anti-English/British/British royal sentiment given republican/nationalist.violence and killings?

Other terrorists have been associated with those who are anti-abortion/pro-life and animal rights activists. Also religions.

It would seem an awful lot of people might get cancelled temporarily or longer with a zero tolerance approach to anything linked to anything (or lots of things) bad in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

osarusan wrote: »
    Not racist? Seriously?

Making slant-eyes gestures towards Asians is pretty much the quintessential racist insult towards them.

No, not in the context of the comment, he was being an ignorant stupid immature young bloke, it was dumb but I don't think he was intentionally or intending to be racist, so it didn't sound like it to me, especially as it's shown he made a broad swathe of dumbass comments, most likely just showing off, but there wasn't anything in it that suggested to me he really is hates another race,

He was being an asshat for sure,

and since, many years later
    It appears he apologised for his stupid younger self,

It would be different if he was still at it, he obviously grew up and matured, lots of people did stupid things when they were younger,
    what's sickening to me, is when its clear the person isn't the same as they were when they were 10 years younger (which most people are not),
    that he is getting hounded for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

1874 wrote: »
    No, not in the context of the comment, he was being an ignorant stupid immature young bloke, it was dumb but I don't think he was intentionally or intending to be racist, so it didn't sound like it to me, especially as it's shown he made a broad swathe of dumbass comments, most likely just showing off, but there wasn't anything in it that suggested to me he really is hates another race,

He was being an asshat for sure.

I can understand the argument that he was just young and dumb, but I don't think even somebody his age at the time can claim to be ignorant of the connotations of the 'slant-eyes' towards Asians.

It's fair enough to say there is no hatred for another race, I'd agree with that. But at the same time, to dismiss it as being just young and stupid ignores the fact that he must have known the racist connotations of what he was doing even as he did it, and at the very least, didn't give a sh!t about it and who it would insult.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

osarusan wrote: »
    I can understand the argument that he was just young and dumb, but I don't think even somebody his age at the time can claim to be ignorant of the connotations of the 'slant-eyes' towards Asians.

We were all dumb and young at one stage. And some of things I got up to when I was this lads age would probably have the PC nuts having heart attacks all over the place.

Imagine growing up in 1998 when the Father Ted Chinese episode aired!!! I think every Chinese restaurant in the area got the "slanty eyes" slagging back then.

Put it this way - its just as well there was no social media when we were growing up. I can imagine some of the stuff we did coming back to haunt us after 10 years. Id probably be ostracised from society!!!

Should it be held against this lad?

I think because of the nature of him being a sporting "celebrity" doesn't really make it any different than if he was a normal young and dumb teenager.

One that really got my goat was Oliver Peck being fired because he did "black face" 20+ years ago.
    FFS one of my friends dressed up in black face (A Lyons Minstrel) in the 90s. Another one dressed up a Bishop Casey and his girlfriend dressed up as a pregnant Annie Murphy - that was more of a horror to some people than the black face.

We all do stupid things that we may or may not regret as teenagers but we grow out of it (usually)

Advertisement