Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I repair or replace this decking?

Options
  • 09-06-2021 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

So I have wooden decking at the back of the house that's been there about 13 years now. Unfortunately it's only been treated about 5 times in those 13 years and parts of it are starting to rot, so I'm wondering if it's easy or worthwhile replacing the rotten parts.

In the pics you'll see there's a main part then a smaller part that's stepped down, and a lot of the damage is in the smaller part. What would be a ballpark price in Dublin to get it all replaced with composite decking?

Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Personally I think its time to replace. However I'd want to take all the rotten bits off first and take a look at whats underneath before I made a final decision.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Looking at the photos, I'd pull it all up and start afresh. More than likely, if you start down the road of replacement, it'll be a never-ending job constantly patching one bit after another, without ever having the satisfaction of "a job well done" or a surface you can be confident is completely solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Think you need to see what its like underneath to get an idea of the full scope of the project. My guess is all the supports you can't see will be just as bad so probably a start from scratch job in which case worth designing a base that won't rot before the composite decking.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement